"Almost Retired" How much do you cruise?

riddle

DH is retired 2 years and I will retire Nov. 1. Cruising is my passion (right after my grandkids).

Just trying to get some averages. We are not rich by any standards but I think we will handle retirement well. DH and I do not agree on how much to cruise. Me, I would probably stop on land enough to visit each set of grandkids on each coast several times a year. DH is more of a homebody. I have no problem traveling with friends or by myself but would prefer with DH.

Other similar retirees, how many times per year do you cruise. By the way, we go low budget, get our rooms (inside) most from CAS and often drive to port.

DH is retired 2 years and I will retire Nov. 1. Cruising is my passion (right after my grandkids).

Just trying to get some averages. We are not rich by any standards but I think we will handle retirement well. DH and I do not agree on how much to cruise. Me, I would probably stop on land enough to visit each set of grandkids on each coast several times a year. DH is more of a homebody. I have no problem traveling with friends or by myself but would prefer with DH.

Other similar retirees, how many times per year do you cruise. By the way, we go low budget, get our rooms (inside) most from CAS and often drive to port.

We have friends who cruise 2/3 times per year,. For our part, last year we were very lucky to take 7 cruises, with 1 taken and 7 more booked for this year

While there are 2 people from Spain who take a whole year on board, each and every year, but get off for a month to refresh their wardrobes. Then there is "Super Mario" a legend in his own lifetime, who runs his corporation from the ship. Plus there is one famous lady who has accumulated 7 consecutive years cruising on one ship. All are genuine people and great company.

Whenever you cruise, just enjoy the experience and the wonderful people you will meet. And when you have the misfortune to encounter a toffee nosed cruise counter, just smile a knowing smile, just as we do.

We do not know how many cruises taken over the years, we just enjoy them.

We have always loved to travel and never wasted a day of our vacation time while working (that was two weeks in the beginning and 6+weeks at the end of our careers).

While we loved to cruise, it is boring to do the same thing. We mixed it up: land vacations (Europe, road trips in the USA and Canada, resorts vacations in Mexico and elsewhere), camping in various states, and cruising.

We are now retired and still mix it up. Since January 2014, our "formal" travel schedule has been 1/14, cruise; 6/14, 2 week land tour of Costa Rica; 10/14, cruise; 2/15, cruise. We have just booked a land tour of Guatemala for 11/15.

The list above doesn't include trips around the USA in the past year for family weddings, get-away short trips, family visits, or Drum Corp and Synchronized Skating Competitions.

When we first retired we had the funds to cruise at least twice a year, sometimes three times a year.

Unexpected expenses have eaten up a lot of our funds so now we are lucky to cruise once every two or three years.

If we had the funds for it, we would cruise at least four times a year -- or more. :)

Edited by NMLady

I retired July 2010 when on a cruise immediatly then returned to work part-time until May 2011.

From 2011 through 2013, we did three cruises a year (ocean and river cruises/land trips).

2014 we did two cruises.

2015 we have two cruises planned and likely 2 in 2016.

From then on, we will likely do 2 a year.

We have only done one caribbean.

We have done 2 TAs in conjunction with another cruise in Europe as well as Med and Black Sea cruises.

Also, 2 cruises to or from South America, one from Australia. River cruise and land trips to Ukraine, Russia and Baltics as well as another to China.

We saved for this travel and I must admit that we have spent a lot on travel.

We expect to tone down our travels a bit and do more in the USA.

We have been cruising 3 to 4 times a year but since age is creeping up this year we only have 2 scheduled..we cruise differently now..always go to our destination a day early and always ship our luggage ahead to ship..so much easier flying with a small wheelie bag..

Jancruz1

We are many years retired and like you live ok, but are not rich. If we lived closer to ports we would probably cruise 2 or 3 times a year. Beause of the cost of air fare we usually keep it to once or twice. Like hubby (yours) mine isn't as in love with cruising as I am and we have been to so many ports now, it is hard to find new ones. We no longer can travel across the pond because hubby has leg problems and we worry about blood clots for him. Normally we try to take 2 really nice trips a year, if we only cruise onece we will do something within the USA. This year we are cruising in APril and going to a wedding in Portland in June. we will spend a few extra days in Portland. Last year we cuirsed twice and did a week in Vegas.

I have cruised with daughters or friends without hubby a few times. In fact was supposed to be on the Jewel right now. it is a girls cruise: oldest daugher, oldest granddaughter, her 8 year old daughter, our daughters best friend(almost a daughter to us) her daughter and me, but I had to back out: knee surgery put an end to my being part of the girls cruise.Maybe next year will work.

When we first retired we had the funds to cruise at least twice a year, sometimes three times a year.

Unexpected expenses have eaten up a lot of our funds so now we are lucky to cruise once every two or three years.

If we had the funds for it, we would cruise at least four times a year -- or more. :)

like you, funds are not what they were back when, plus we used to get great deals when the gave special rates to employees and family of A/l workers. That isn't the case so much any more. That is why we keep it to one or so a year.

I've been able to travel all my adult life and have always been under the "live for today" motto due to personal reasons. I have no financial limitations, with the added advantage of not paying for any air. So, while working I traveled 3/4 months per year, with about 10 cruises. Last year I retired, and actually have gotten more restless. :) We traveled about 1/2 the year, including 17 cruises, 4 were 14 days or more, along with about 7 weeks of land traveling.

This year, I'm traveling every month, and will continue to do so, as long as able. :)

Although I have a masters degree, I been fortunate to be a stay at home mother and now the children are all grown and on their own I remain not working lol only because I am able to, thanks to my other half.

Congratuations on your retirement and its about time both of you enjoy your life now that you paid your dues lets say. I think the most important thing is first consider unexpected expenses do pop up especially as people get older. First priority is to ensure that you have the funds to take care of the important things, second comes the trips and the fun, but with a good balance you can have both. Its like you said, you can do interior staterooms, just have a budget for travel and then figure out what you want, where you want to go etc.

For me, I take 3-5 trips a year averaging 2-3 cruises and the others land based trips such as this coming July we are going to Aruba and then we will do a last minute cruise somewhere in the fall. We all are different and all have different budgets, so nobody can tell you what is right and wrong because only you know.

You mention your husband is a home body well I say he should enjoy retirement and take a cruise at least once a year both of you together, after all, you both are retired and your not getting any younger enjoy the life out there that you can have together. I say a good compromise would be one cruise a year and your land based trips a few times to visit your family. At least have one cruise to just get away and its just you and your husband, or you can get a group of your friends together and all decide to take a particular cruise together that would be nice too. Both of you have to compromise and do it together because life is too short one never knows what tomorrow brings, so enjoy your trips together.

I think so much depends on your life and how involved you are in your community and helping out with the grandkids. Being away from those responsibilities isn't easy for some of us.

Also, those who have to fly to any port have that added expense so I can't see doing anything less than 8-10 days.

This winter is getting to me so I think next winter will see us in FL on some type of cruise. I'm not a beach person, but this snow has to go away!

Besides those thoughts, I mostly enjoy Transatlantics and then visiting places in Europe at the beginning or end. We do a TA every other year. The time and planning is huge since we are independent sorts.

We have been cruising 3 to 4 times a year but since age is creeping up this year we only have 2 scheduled..we cruise differently now..always go to our destination a day early and always ship our luggage ahead to ship..so much easier flying with a small wheelie bag..

Jancruz1

Hi Jancruz. How does the shipping your luggage ahead to the ship work? What company do you use? Is it reliable? What are the costs? We are 80 and 75 and really would love the freedom of not having to check bags.

Dennis

Hi Jancruz. How does the shipping your luggage ahead to the ship work? What company do you use? Is it reliable? What are the costs? We are 80 and 75 and really would love the freedom of not having to check bags.

Dennis

http://www.luggageforward.com/cruise-luggage-shipping/

This looks like a good service!

Not retired - early 50's and cruise 2-3 times a year. I love cruising my DH and grown kids can take it or leave it and don't "get" why I love it! Only started 4 years ago and I'm about to take my 10th cruise on NCL and have Alaska booked for July and considering booking next March on the Escape because of how cheap the Haven's are on a couple of sailing and have never had that experience yet. Enjoying it now, as you never know what the future holds and we can afford now with us both working great jobs. I get 7 weeks vacation.:eek:

Sign me up for retiring to a cruise ship for years! I'm all for that retirement option by the time I get there. Until then, I sail 2-3 times per year but having retired parents - one who loves to cruise - it's all about finding good sales and being able to sail close in for deep discounts, if there are any. :cool:

I'm lucky I can sail close to the date so I can do a last minute sailing usually when my mom wants to go to help her keep her costs down (no dreaded single surcharge). Not everyone is so lucky and the deals she and I find help me sail more frequently in the year myself and do more exotic charter cruises (ie more money, less days).

We try to cruise 1-2 times a year.

But, I know LOTS of people that never cruise, and some cruisers that go only once a year.

Cruising is definitely catching on and growing fast worldwide. Last year, 10 million Americans went cruising in US alone.

I actually am looking forward to DH and I retiring (within the next year or two) as I can then begin cruising at low-season prices! As a teacher I can only cruise during school vacations, when the prices are the highest. I could literally cruise three times more than I do now if I sailed during the off-season. It is amazing what cruising a week before or after school breaks would save us!!

The other thing missing from your question is the duration of the cruise. We have found that a 7-day cruise is no longer long enough. It takes nearly half a week to really get into the cruising routine mindset. We prefer a 14-day cruise with a minimum 10-days. Sometimes, a couple back to back 7-day cruises will fill the need. When you factor in the cost of traveling to and from the port, you can really drive down the per day cost going longer.

First off one of the best life experiences retirement! LOL My DH is not a cruise person but goes for me because I love being on the water on a ship. We also have to factor in the land visit to family on the east coast and pet hotel for our fur family. That leaves us with every other year much the same as when we both worked. My DD and I are going to try to do short cruises as much as possible but as another poster stated it is pricy when she is off in the summer. Sometimes I am lucky and get two cruises in a year. Now if I win the bigger lotto all bets are off and I will cruise more often. :D