Carrying plates rather than using trays at buffet?

tbmrt

I read the following this morning in the Review section re: a recent Equinox cruise. Has Celebrity gone to having no trays? I don't remember that from last year's cruise.

They no longer have trays so you can only carry two plates at a time. If you want salad with your meal, you'll need to go put your plates down and then leave them to go get a drink. I didn't like that but you have no choice so learned to get used to it. It's not as good as it used to be but much better than other ships I've been on.

It was certainly like that in 2010 in Equinox, no trays. Personally I far prefer that method than the school dinner type trays and I am happy to work on a course by course basis

I read the following this morning in the Review section re: a recent Equinox cruise. Has Celebrity gone to having no trays? I don't remember that from last year's cruise.

They no longer have trays so you can only carry two plates at a time. If you want salad with your meal, you'll need to go put your plates down and then leave them to go get a drink. I didn't like that but you have no choice so learned to get used to it. It's not as good as it used to be but much better than other ships I've been on.

The S class ships have never had trays in the buffet......maybe you

are having a small case of the CRS syndrome today;)

There are no trays on the M class either. It saves the cruise line a lot of money as people tend to take extra food ..just in case.. because they have room on their trays and of course crew are no longer needed to look after trays

The S class ships have never had trays in the buffet......maybe you

are having a small case of the CRS syndrome today;)

I guess I just put salad on same dish as food last year....I know I'd never be able to balance 2 dishes and silverware!

We had trays on Century just a few weeks ago. Our last M class cruise was Jan 2014 on Infinity and I thought we had trays (not entirely sure, they all run together).

Yes, it's only the S-Class that don't. I think it's a reflection of the buffet design and having separate stations for food on the S-Class ships. I think it works well.

Phil

OMG! It's one thing to have a stain on the carpet or a rust spot on some metal, I can even deal with with a book laying on a pool chair and the absence of freshly squeezed OJ! But no trays - I am canceling my cruise that I have booked 3 years from now and will no longer do the document dance at my mailbox!

What has the world come too! :)

The one drawback that I noticed is with someone that is handicapped. Only 1 arm/hand or had a cast on. I would see them get a plate and have to go back for coffee, then go back for orange juice, etc. By the time they were settled the food was probably cold. Maybe they have trays in the back and you could request one if needed? I certainly didn't see any offered....

The one drawback that I noticed is with someone that is handicapped. Only 1 arm/hand or had a cast on. I would see them get a plate and have to go back for coffee, then go back for orange juice, etc. By the time they were settled the food was probably cold. Maybe they have trays in the back and you could request one if needed? I certainly didn't see any offered....

No trays but in that situation I have always seen crew ready to assist

One HD told me one reason for the design change was the wish to do away with anything that represent a hygiene risk and trays were an issue as it was difficult to fully sterilise them between users

Get your drinks first and the food is hot. :)

We had trays on Century just a few weeks ago. Our last M class cruise was Jan 2014 on Infinity and I thought we had trays (not entirely sure, they all run together).

We were on Connie (M class) in January. No trays. :)

You can carry more if you long arm it and put one on your head. :D

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Edited by miched

Maybe they have trays in the back and you could request one if needed? I certainly didn't see any offered....

Please no trays ever. Many guests have a hard time walking without a tray, put one in their hands and OMG. :eek: :eek:

My Mum has very poor mobility and either uses a wheel chair or a stick to walk very slowly.

With out fail a member of staff assists her in the buffet. In fact, after a few days the wait staff got to know her and would welcome her in to the buffet by name and even find her a free table.

Like wise in the dining room it was almost a contest as to who would want to push her wheel chair to our table, the waiter or assistant waiter. In fact, at times, I felt quite left out and redundant!

The kindness of the staff was much appreciated

Debbie

Certainly no trays on our last Infinity cruise ( TA Oct '13)

One HD told me one reason for the design change was the wish to do away with anything that represent a hygiene risk and trays were an issue as it was difficult to fully sterilise them between users

This makes my head spin....I will never again let my children eat lunch at school. I'll never eat in a hospital (or any other cafeteria again....and let's not forget that we shouldn't eat in the ship's dining rooms because the waiters use trays.

I suppose one could also believe that the reason they eliminated flowers in the cabin is that they could carry germs.

Please....

This makes my head spin....I will never again let my children eat lunch at school. I'll never eat in a hospital (or any other cafeteria again....and let's not forget that we shouldn't eat in the ship's dining rooms because the waiters use trays.

I suppose one could also believe that the reason they eliminated flowers in the cabin is that they could carry germs.

Please....

LOL. I wondered about that explanation, too. They couldn't adequately sterilize the trays? Now I'm worried about the plates.:eek:

I'm considering eating directly from the buffet ...

Edited by CanadianDee

The only thing wrong about getting salads first, leaving empty plates, then go for the rest of the meal, when you return to your table, the plates were removed, with drinks, and someone else is sitting there.

It means one goes, and the other guards the table, you return, he leaves, and you don't really eat together.

I wish there were more tables in the buffets. But, the ships are already built, and the design is what it is.

Sometimes, we just find a table, one sits, and the other gets his salad. We never really eat together. I guess I want the MDR to be open every lunch, and not just at sea. :)

The only thing wrong about getting salads first, leaving empty plates, then go for the rest of the meal, when you return to your table, the plates were removed, with drinks, and someone else is sitting there.

It means one goes, and the other guards the table, you return, he leaves, and you don't really eat together.

I wish there were more tables in the buffets. But, the ships are already built, and the design is what it is.

Sometimes, we just find a table, one sits, and the other gets his salad. We never really eat together. I guess I want the MDR to be open every lunch, and not just at sea. :)

This is the way we do it too. However, I have seen chairs tipped toward the table and that is a fine indication that someone is going to use that table and is away getting their food.