Luminae - lunch

koolforkatz

Hi everyone,

We were on for the opening of the rollout of the new suite benefits for Constellation. We have six upcoming cruises that qualify for the benefits.

We booked the categories based partly on the brochure for the new benefits which we thought were great.

I saw today(although I don't know when it was first published) the updated version of the benefits which specifically talk about the two meals a day in Luminae and the other perks.

I've attached the printout. This has been modified from the original brochure as Celebrity is working out the tweaks to the benefits.

I'm keeping at this time all of our cruises, but I am still wish they had been clearer about this and other benefits that have now dropped from the original brochure. I still believe that it is a really good product, but that creating confusion was not the best move.

That's interesting....

After having a less than stellar experience in a suite on the Reflection in 2013, I was very hesitant to find myself booking another suite with Celebrity. I get so much more for my money when I cruise with NCL in their "Haven" and others that have posted about the MSC "Yacht Club" find that experience very compelling, but I digress.... this is for other threads.

However, when the new Suite Class benefits were released, I was again hopeful that Celebrity had finally arrived to where other cruise lines had been for a while with their suite benefit offerings. The "advertising" was enough to draw me back and book a very special/important cruise.... and in April 2014 I booked a Suite Class stateroom for an 18-day Australia/New Zealand cruise in February 2016.

I now have 3 renditions of this "suite class benefits" document that I have collected since the booking of that suite. Two of them are dated as April 2015, but they each have differences in them. Most dramatic are the changes about the new suite dining room. I have labeled them as "1" and "2" to distinguish. The April 2015 "version 1" still indicates that meals will be served morning, noon, and night. The April 2015 "version 2" makes it much more clear that you will only receive 2 meals per day, lunch is at the "ship's discretion", and no real lunch on embarkation day... what I would call "light snacks" will be offered.

You can take a look at both documents (attached below) if you want to explore some of the other differences/changes that may have been made, but it really irks me that Celebrity is paring back and changed the offerings this late in the game (after the roll out of the suite class benefits). People have made new reservations for more than a year and have been excited about booking suites based on what was ORIGINALLY OFFERED and PROMOTED. Now, Celebrity has decided to change the offerings (for whatever number of reasons) and people have to decide (if it isn't too late) whether they should keep their reservations or cancel. I am lucky that I am still able to cancel, but that leaves me with few options to rebook and not for a decent price.

Celebrity Cruises, I hope you are reading this and all the other comments made to date. Count me amongst the many on the "disappointed" list as this will leave a sour taste in my mouth for a long time.

Walter

14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs-1(APR 2015).pdf

14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs-2(APR 2015).pdf

Edited by vulcan1971

We are new to Celebrity and have our first cruise booked with Celebrity for this September in a Sky Suite. We also have 3 other cruises booked for 2016 on Celebrity, all Sky Suites. The attraction of the sky suite besides the additional room size was the introduction of the new suite restaurant. We enjoy having breakfast and lunch on ship both on sea days and port days and were excited to have this special venue. This new suite restaurant was the deciding factor in booking the 4 cruises. The 1-2-3 and pick your perk offers were a bonus but the suite restaurant and description of a wonderful dining experience three times per day was the real draw. Needless to say, I will be very disappointed if Celebrity does not step up and provide what was promised and advertised. I will continue to watch the reviews and postings and will make a decision on whether to continue with our plans prior to final payment.

The suite dining room is open morning, noon and night, just not necessarily on the same day. The first brochure doesn't say anything about breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Having just returned from the Reflection TA, I can say that there are a lot of good things about the new restaurant but they still have some major tweaking to do. They are in the process of getting feedback from their patrons and I'm sure we haven't yet seen the final product.

The suite dining room is open morning, noon and night, just not necessarily on the same day. The first brochure doesn't say anything about breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Having just returned from the Reflection TA, I can say that there are a lot of good things about the new restaurant but they still have some major tweaking to do. They are in the process of getting feedback from their patrons and I'm sure we haven't yet seen the final product.

Thanks for the feedback, Joanie. :)

I am trying to keep a positive outlook. I know the tweaking won't be done by the end of this week for our Summit cruise, but hopefully will be sorted by the time we are on Silhouette in October.

The first publications in the UK did

Tweaking and final product, fine if you are enhancing what you originally offered otherwise no, why should those sailing now lose out?

Edited by uktog

That's interesting....

After having a less than stellar experience in a suite on the Reflection in 2013, I was very hesitant to find myself booking another suite with Celebrity. I get so much more for my money when I cruise with NCL in their "Haven" and others that have posted about the MSC "Yacht Club" find that experience very compelling, but I digress.... this is for other threads.

However, when the new Suite Class benefits were released, I was again hopeful that Celebrity had finally arrived to where other cruise lines had been for a while with their suite benefit offerings. The "advertising" was enough to draw me back and book a very special/important cruise.... and in April 2014 I booked a Suite Class stateroom for an 18-day Australia/New Zealand cruise in February 2016.

I now have 3 renditions of this "suite class benefits" document that I have collected since the booking of that suite. Two of them are dated as April 2015, but they each have differences in them. Most dramatic are the changes about the new suite dining room. I have labeled them as "1" and "2" to distinguish. The April 2015 "version 1" still indicates that meals will be served morning, noon, and night. The April 2015 "version 2" makes it much more clear that you will only receive 2 meals per day, lunch is at the "ship's discretion", and no real lunch on embarkation day... what I would call "light snacks" will be offered.

You can take a look at both documents (attached below) if you want to explore some of the other differences/changes that may have been made, but it really irks me that Celebrity is paring back and changed the offerings this late in the game (after the roll out of the suite class benefits). People have made new reservations for more than a year and have been excited about booking suites based on what was ORIGINALLY OFFERED and PROMOTED. Now, Celebrity has decided to change the offerings (for whatever number of reasons) and people have to decide (if it isn't too late) whether they should keep their reservations or cancel. I am lucky that I am still able to cancel, but that leaves me with few options to rebook and not for a decent price.

Celebrity Cruises, I hope you are reading this and all the other comments made to date. Count me amongst the many on the "disappointed" list as this will leave a sour taste in my mouth for a long time.

Walter

Very good post. We have not cruised on NCL for quite a long time. We are booked in the Haven for a Bermuda cruise. Our TA recommended that over Celebrity. I have been disappointed in Celebrity on a couple of things............one I had put a cabin on a courtesy hold for 24 hours, and on a Saturday morning at 7:30 am I received a call from a cruise planner. I did not answer the phone, but then received an email. This young woman I had spoken to before and said it was a robot call. Doesn't you make you feel important?

Secondly we went back on the Xpedition in January of this year, and it was really horrible. Not anything like what we experienced 10 years ago.

Now they are messing with the restaurant which is the reason I book our New Zealand cruise late in 2016 in a Royal Suite. This is enough to make me seriously reconsider and spend my money elsewhere.

I agree with these last few posts. You do not roll out SDR to full paying customers and then begin your tweaking, refurnishing, etc.. We are not your guinnea pigs. Do this BEFORE YOUR FULL ROLLOUT.

I am really annoyed that breakfast and dinner are the only meals being served in SDR on port days. Since most ports suck from Miami to Carribean, we normally don't get off. If this is going to be the case, breakfast should be served until 10:30 NOT 9am!!!!!

Also, when we dock in PR at 4pm mid-cruise, is this considered a port day??? I mean, it's a port day, but staff cannot leave the ship until it docks, which is after 4!

I think we are cancelling our trip. I can't deal with this nonsense any longer. ugh.

I agree with these last few posts. You do not roll out SDR to full paying customers and then begin your tweaking, refurnishing, etc.. We are not your guinnea pigs. Do this BEFORE YOUR FULL ROLLOUT.

I am really annoyed that breakfast and dinner are the only meals being served in SDR on port days. Since most ports suck from Miami to Carribean, we normally don't get off. If this is going to be the case, breakfast should be served until 10:30 NOT 9am!!!!!

Also, when we dock in PR at 4pm mid-cruise, is this considered a port day??? I mean, it's a port day, but staff cannot leave the ship until it docks, which is after 4!

I think we are cancelling our trip. I can't deal with this nonsense any longer. ugh.

Totally agree. I think I will cancel and find another cruise line. It was amazing when I would call NCL how short the wait time was..........

I assume you are not buying that. That is like your insurance covers you 365 days a year. When you file a claim, you are told that you are not necessarily covered between 2 and 4 in the afternoon. Silly

Ma Bell -

You are right, the specific wording from "version 1" does not specify actual meals provided... the text says, "Luminae is the dedicated restaurant reserved exclusively for Suite Class guests and will be available morning, noon, and night."

I am willing to wager that if you asked 100 people what this meant to them (in the context of the overall brochure of offerings), the vast majority will say that this means "3 meals per day" and not, as you suggest, that the restaurant may operate "morning, noon, and night"... just not on the same day. I'm hoping you were tongue in cheek on this matter that has driven most of us to feel let down that the suite class benefits are not what we thought they were.

I assume you are not buying that. That is like your insurance covers you 365 days a year. When you file a claim, you are told that you are not necessarily covered between 2 and 4 in the afternoon. Silly

I agree.

Last spring, Celebrity cut back the classic drinks packages ( that they used to induce people to book ) by around 40% of the previous inclusions. Pressure on here and on facebook made them reverse their decision.

This sounds like another area where people power could get them to listen.

On the RCI forums Royal have seemingly misled passengers on Anthem of the Seas by promoting that ship as having a Dreamworks theme and then renaging on it now the ship has been launched despite copious publicity material confirming Dreamworks is onboard Anthem.

Royal seem to have a habit of promising one thing then delivering another and the way they respond is pretty poor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Ma Bell -

You are right, the specific wording from "version 1" does not specify actual meals provided... the text says, "Luminae is the dedicated restaurant reserved exclusively for Suite Class guests and will be available morning, noon, and night."

I am willing to wager that if you asked 100 people what this meant to them (in the context of the overall brochure of offerings), the vast majority will say that this means "3 meals per day" and not, as you suggest, that the restaurant may operate "morning, noon, and night"... just not on the same day. I'm hoping you were tongue in cheek on this matter that has driven most of us to feel let down that the suite class benefits are not what we thought they were.

I agree.

The two version of the FAQ were interesting. On the other thread an even earlier version dated 5/2014 was attached via Drop Box.

This section of the FAQ might explain the "confusion".

"Will Suite Class guests be able to bring traveling companions in a non-suite stateroom to the Suite Class exclusive restaurant so then can dine together?

Yes, based on availability, Suite Class guests can invite non-suite guests to dine with them in Suite Class exclusive restaurant on a space-available basis by prior reservation and for a fee. The fee per non-suite guest will be $20 for breakfast (served from 7am), $35 for brunch (served from 10am) and $50 for dinner (served from 6pm). These fees will be waived for invited non-suite guests 12 years of age and under. Suite Class guests can also request to dine together with their non-suite guests in the Main restaurant at no additional charge by visiting with the Matre’D on embarkation day."

It would at least appear per the documents provided that Celebrity meant brunch when referencing noon since there is not mention of a price for guests to dine at lunch. Since this document was published on 5/2104 this section has not changed as far as I can tell.

Also as stated in the other thread the chat answer did indicate lunch, but from this section it does seem reasonable that lunch was not part of the initial plan.

Ma Bell -

I am willing to wager that if you asked 100 people what this meant to them (in the context of the overall brochure of offerings), the vast majority will say that this means "3 meals per day" and not, as you suggest, that the restaurant may operate "morning, noon, and night"... just not on the same day. I'm hoping you were tongue in cheek on this matter that has driven most of us to feel let down that the suite class benefits are not what we thought they were..

Again, I'm comparing similarly priced alternatives to a Celebrity sky suite.

Breakfast, ( full, fabulous buffet, made to order food with waiter service ) on Seabourn is open until 10 on port days, 10:30 on sea days......Lunch until 2:00.

Same/similar on Oceania. In a civilized, relaxed , classy environment.

I hate Blu's policy of closing at 9 on port days which appears to be the policy in Luminae too. It sux to have to frantically wake up and dress to be able to make a ridiculous breakfast deadline.

Closing brunch ( NOT lunch ) at 1:00pm on sea days is another strange policy. Many of us want to sleep in on sea days, eat a leisurely breakfast after 9, then enjoy a somewhat later lunch.

I would be ok if they just skipped breakfast all together given that it won't differ much from Blu ....but keep Blu open later and offer a REAL lunch....every day.

And I was aspiring to get to Zenith in five years.....not now

Yes, it was tongue in cheek.

Since I seem to be one of the few who have actually been there, I can tell you that there are a lot of things that need some thought. I had the feeling that they weren't really quite ready for prime time and I can also say that it didn't surprise me in the least. We were the "Guinea Pigs" and I really didn't mind. We had the opportunity to give our feedback and I'm sure they were aware that they have a ways to go to make it great, but they are definitely trying.

The only way anyone is going to know if they are happy with the product is to give it a try. If you have a lot of concern about not receiving value for what you are paying I would cancel and find something else to make you happy...if that's possible.

Edited by Ma Bell

This is for 2 Royal Suites for 5 people for 14 nights to the Baltics in July sailing out of Southampton. There are no flights involved as we will all drive to the port and this is the cruise only price. It does not include the cost of shore excursions.

On Saturday a Royal Suite was available for a short period and a dummy booking for 2 people was in excess of $20,000. When I last checked it was gone, so someone may be paying this.

Kevnzworld, has repeatedly stressed over the past year that senior suites are running at more than $1000 per day and this had been met with disbelief but he is accurate in his assessment.

That is a very good rate. Considering you are paying $20,00/5= $4,000 per person/14 days = $286 per day/person. Enjoy your cruise.

That is a very good rate. Considering you are paying $20,00/5= $4,000 per person/14 days = $286 per day/person. Enjoy your cruise.

Actually, I believe he indicated he is paying $30,000, which works out to $429 a day, which is more than I want to pay, but is a good rate for what he has booked.

Actually, I believe he indicated he is paying $30,000, which works out to $429 a day, which is more than I want to pay, but is a good rate for what he has booked.

That is what I thought he said at first ($30,000.) However, when he came back with $20,000, I assumed that was what he paid in USD. It may be in UK GBP/pounds at 20,000. Then that would be a different story.

Personally, I do NOT believe the new SDR menus I have seen and the stories being told on here are really worth what X said it would be. Especially, when people are ordering off of the MDR Left side of the menus. JMHO!

That is what I thought he said at first ($30,000.) However, when he came back with $20,000, I assumed that was what he paid in USD. It may be in UK GBP/pounds at 20,000. Then that would be a different story.

Personally, I do NOT believe the new SDR menus I have seen and the stories being told on here are really worth what X said it would be. Especially, when people are ordering off of the MDR Left side of the menus. JMHO!

If you read what said in the post, it said a dummy booking for 2 people was $20,000.

Gordon

The two version of the FAQ were interesting. On the other thread an even earlier version dated 5/2014 was attached via Drop Box.

{{{Snip}}}

It would at least appear per the documents provided that Celebrity meant brunch when referencing noon since there is not mention of a price for guests to dine at lunch. Since this document was published on 5/2104 this section has not changed as far as I can tell.

Also as stated in the other thread the chat answer did indicate lunch, but from this section it does seem reasonable that lunch was not part of the initial plan.

I'm the one who posted the Drop Box link to May 2014 version of the flyer on the other thread. Since it's too late to edit that post, I'm attaching the actual PDF here for easy reference.

Interestingly, in addition to the below "morning, noon & night" language...

What is the dedicated private restaurant?

A dedicated restaurant will be reserved exclusively for Suite Class guests and will be available morning, noon, and night.

... it says the following:
What are the new benefits of Suite Class?

All Suite guests (Sky Suites and higher) will have access to a new dedicated exclusive restaurant for Breakfast, Brunch and Dinner.

Here's a link to the Live Chat with Jo Rzymowska of Celebrity Cruises on Celebrity Cruises: Suites, Spas & Signature Sailings

http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/C...ailings?Page=0

Here is the excerpt from that chat discussing lunch in Luminae:

Will lunch be offered every day or only on sea days?

by Shirley C January 30 at 11:12 AM

Jo Rzymowska

In Luminae lunch will be every day

January 30 at 11:13 AM

Celebrity Cruises (US)

Including embarkation day!

January 30 at 11:14 AM

We have a special 35th anniversary cruise booked for Aug 1 in an RS. Even though we are before final payment & could theoretically cancel w/o penalty, we have already paid non-refundable air.

Happy to give Celebrity a chance to better implement the Suite Dining program, but I'll be most disappointed if they fail to offer embarkation lunch and some sort of noon-time dining on port days. They can call it "brunch", as long as it is a mid-day meal. I have a shellfish allergy which leaves me uncomfortable frequenting the buffet.

Trying to stay positive about this RS anniversary splurge. Hope I didn't make a mistake paying the significant suite surcharge. Will wait to make any changes to future booking until after experiencing the "Suite Class" first hand.

Jane

PS you can tell the date of the flyer from the fine print at the bottom of each page:

©2014 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships registered in Malta and Ecuador. 14037410 • 5/2014

April 2015 New Suite Perks 14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Edited by JaneStarr

Why do some people assume what X was thinking when X published the info before it was implemented? Then why did X need months to get it functioning when X has been in the business for years? This is not a new concept, it is just a new dining room. Would anyone open a business and then decided on what the menu is and when they should open for business ( 1 meal or maybe 2 meals or maybe we should serve 3 meals a day.) LOL

Again, another quick decision to bait and switch and hope for the best.

Now, the flamers are out in full.

I went back and looked at the two different attachments concerning the meals and when they are open. This is beyond stupid. I guess no one at Celebrity cares about their customers. I now will cancel............

The correct link to the interview in January is:

Try this:

http://live.cruisecritic.com/Event/Celebrity_Cruises_Suites_Spas__Signature_Sailings?Page=0

No idea why the other link stopped working. The one in this post works as of just now.

[Too late to edit my original post; I tried]

Jane

PS In case the link stops working, it can be found under Community/Live Chats and is dated Jan 30, 2015.

Title is: Celebrity Cruises: Suites, Spas & Signature Sailings

Edited by JaneStarr