Luminae - lunch

koolforkatz

Haven't sailed Celebrity in years, but are booked in a Suite in October. Ignoring Luminae for the moment - what is the Celebrity policy for lunch on port days? Is Blu or the MDR open or is it only the Buffet?

Blu is never open for lunch, and on all my recent cruises, the MDR has not served lunch on port days.

I'll comment on the Luminae Brunch. It was offered on sea days. The menu had a variety of main courses, as well as soups (the pea soup was excellent) and really wonderful desserts. We ate at 11am.

I can't speak for others, but we usually don't have a large breakfast, so brunch was perfect.

For those of you worried about the present status of meals offered, I'm sure Celebrity is aware, and will change the situation. Patience...

Karyn

I don't think 'patience' is an appropriate response. They were certainly ready with the much higher prices for suites from Day 1. If you promise something that specific, you should deliver. IMHO everyone who booked a suite and is not getting what was advertised should get some kind of reimbursement or OBC or something. And for the record, I am not a suite person as I can't afford it, but right is right.

Embarkation lunch was a big draw for us too and we're very disappointed to see that it is hit or miss, mostly miss. If they are not serving lunch on embarkation day the least they could do is give a complementary lunch in Bistro on Five, which is where we normally go.

Offering suite guests an expanded room service lunch menu would be nice too in lieu of opening Luminae.

The lunch/ brunch/ breakfast issue with Luminae is so unfortunately reminiscent of other Celebrity mis steps, and changes.

I want to be able to eat a civilized breakfast and lunch at normal hours. Breakfast around 9, lunch around 1:00. It seems like that isn't possible in Luminae. Ever. Brunch?

Lunch is the reason I've begun to switch to Seabourn . I can't stand the pandemonium , lack of seating and overall frenetic atmosphere of the Oceanview cafe.

Disappointing.

Just to clarify, we were served brunch on sea days instead of breakfast and/or lunch. You either were served breakfast and dinner on port days or brunch and dinner on sea days. Two meals a day, not three as previously advertised. No embarkation lunch.

On Reflection right now and this is consistent with our experience.

On Reflection right now and this is consistent with our experience.

Is everything in place in Luminae? As I wrote in my review several threads back, apart from the lunch issue and not having proper chairs, linen or crystal, we also did not have the advertised wine list. This, and lack of lunch were the two biggest disappointments for us. Extremely limited wine selection from which to choose, MDR list I believe. I was really looking forward to trying out some new wine :(

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but not having lunch in Luminae during a port day certainly wouldn't be a show stopper to me, and I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Besides that, I'm never around the ship on port days.

I think Celebrity has rethought this issue since its inception as this would be one of the only times the crew in Luminae could get off the ship.

We just got back from the Summit (San Juan to NJ) and we loved Luminaes. We like to book a suite for the extra cabin space as we travel with our pre-teen son. For us Luminae was an added bonus as we went in with no expectations because it was so new.

On our cruise they served breakfast on port days and brunch on sea days. On our first 2 sea days brunch was served until 2, on our last sea day it was either 1 or 1:30.

We felt this was our best dining experience ever on a cruise (we've been cruising since 1987). The staff was outstanding, the food was excellent - the portions were small enough that I never felt overstuffed. We actually regretted going to Normandie's on our second to last night, while the food was wonderful there we missed the staff and little touches we got at Luminae.

We felt with the tea service they offer in the afternoon for the Suites that we had more than enough food and dining options on the cruise.

Julie

Usually companies wait until after they roll something out to cost reduce their offering. Apparently Celebrity started to do cost reductions even before rolling it out.....and I wouldn't be at all surprised if no one bothered to tell marketing.

Folks who booked suites based on expecting what was marketed certainly would seem to have a valid gripe and to be unhappy with what's been delivered vs what's been promised.

I wonder if Celebrity cares.... This will be a hard one to "perfume" with marketing words....we're improving the offering by offering less!

It seems that there are those who, by saying they rarely eat lunch in the dining room, are giving Celebrity their out. Their next release will state that "lunch is not available because our feedback from our guests indicates that they prefer not having lunch in Luminae.

I don't think 'patience' is an appropriate response. They were certainly ready with the much higher prices for suites from Day 1. If you promise something that specific, you should deliver. IMHO everyone who booked a suite and is not getting what was advertised should get some kind of reimbursement or OBC or something. And for the record, I am not a suite person as I can't afford it, but right is right.

Not important.

Edited by Yorkshire-Pudding

It seems that there are those who, by saying they rarely eat lunch in the dining room, are giving Celebrity their out. Their next release will state that "lunch is not available because our feedback from our guests indicates that they prefer not having lunch in Luminae.

I'd sure like my chosen cruise line to live up to it's advertised promises. I thought it was great they were committing to it. And if not Luminae there should be something besides Bistro for lunch. I do find it rather mind blowing they would advertise it for so many months and then never implement it.

The silence from "celebrity Cruises" is deafening.....

As the OP I was hoping to have heard something from them as well by now. There have been postings from them on other social media sites today.

They're discussing amongst themselves... ;)

you may have meant that tongue in cheek, but I hope they are discussing. I think there's enough "fodder" just in this thread to warrant a serious look at the deliverable vs the expectations set by the announcements, etc.

We are borderline suite folks. We don't value the space that much, but we do value food and a quiet place to have sit down meals....which is why we have booked aqua on our last 4-5 cruises (when it's a reasonable price upgrade). We are already spending what a suite costs per day on Celebrity....but on other cruise lines. Luminae could make the difference for us...but reports to date have not been convincing....which is why I'm active in this thread and a few others. I'd like to know what I'm really buying in to....

Edited by ghstudio

What time is breakfast served until in Luminae on port days?

So frustrated with Celebrity. I have been waiting and waiting for the SDR and they pull this nonsense of no lunch. Give me a freaking break!

Have they even started making dishes using local ingredients bought in every port? Or how about "made to order" dishes as they promised?

I have only ever traveled in a suite on X. January will be our first cruise in a CS. Can't wait to see what the remove from Michaels Lounge perks by that time.

X is putting a bitter taste in many mouthes. Come on already!

After enjoying the atmosphere and service for a seven day cruise, I would value the wonderful peaceful dining room with amazing space between tables very high. The service was also a big step up.

We did enjoy the food and found the menu limiting but well done. Adding your own side order of salads, vegetables and starch may be necessary. At dinner the entree appears almost alone as a protein with elements missing.

Wth that said, Once you're gone luminae it may be difficult to go back to blu or mdr.

Enjoy!

For now, it's all about the lunch. LOL. Next thing will be the food is too salty or the desserts too sweet. :rolleyes: :D:D:D

Wj420 - I'm only hoping they'll stay away from Blu. ;)

For now, it's all about the lunch. LOL. Next thing will be the food is too salty or the desserts too sweet. :rolleyes: :D:D:D

Wj420 - I'm only hoping they'll stay away from Blu. ;)

You're right, of course....that will come. I think the main issue right now is that celebrity isn't offering the three meals a day they (implied/said...you pick the right word) in their announcement of the new restaurant and all that came after it. The two meals a day just doesn't match the perception that folks expected...and paid for. That's not subjective like the other issues you mention.

I've already seen comments about entrees being small...need to order side dishes for a normal meal, wine list is no different than the MDR (celebrity talked about a special wine list), no special dishes based on what they bought in port (fresh fish, etc), no cooking to order. I don't know if any of these are real or not...if they are start-up issues or not...but they are all subjective and as we know, one person's salty is another person's bland.

And, of course, Blu has already taken a number of shots across the bow :) as has murano, tuscan grill, etc. It's hard to please everyone....but at least serve the meals you said you were going to serve.

Edited by ghstudio

You're right, of course....that will come. I think the main issue right now is that celebrity isn't offering the three meals a day they (implied/said...you pick the right word) in their announcement of the new restaurant and all that came after it. The two meals a day just doesn't match the perception that folks expected...and paid for. That's not subjective like the other issues you mention.

I look at it like Blu -- Open lunch & dinner only. Luminae goes one step forward and offers lunch in addition. I think it's normal for all of them to close on port days -- no business as everyone's ashore. Anything other than that would be the exception rather than the rule. I think all the fuss is "much ado about nothing." Just my personal opinion.

I look at it like Blu -- Open lunch & dinner only. Luminae goes one step forward and offers lunch in addition. I think it's normal for all of them to close on port days -- no business as everyone's ashore. Anything other than that would be the exception rather than the rule. I think all the fuss is "much ado about nothing." Just my personal opinion.

I am glad that you think it is "much ado about nothing". I recently made a final payment in excess of $30,000 for a Celebrity cruise which is now not going to deliver everything that was advertised over a year ago with much fanfare. I guess that if I follow your way of thinking I should just let it all slide or another poster who thinks I should be patient.:D

I am glad that you think it is "much ado about nothing". I recently made a final payment in excess of $30,000 for a Celebrity cruise which is now not going to deliver everything that was advertised over a year ago with much fanfare. I guess that if I follow your way of thinking I should just let it all slide or another poster who thinks I should be patient.:D

I don't think the intention was ever to provide lunch on port days -- just an add on to what Blu provides (only BF & Lunch).

If you spent in excess of $30K, I certainly hope they give you the free premium beverage package.

Just enjoy your cruise and don't worry about the lunch -- let the Butler figure that out for you.

Wine-O.

I rarely go ashore. I like to enjoy the ship while the rest of you go ashore. One thing that excited me about the SDR was the fact I could have a nice lunch in SDR while youe are all ashore. Also, many frequent cruisers to do not leave ship from conversations I have had. Please stop generalizing.

Blu, of course, serves breakfast and dinner. Luminae offers lunch, not in addition to, but instead of breakfast and it's brunch, not lunch if you look at their meal name and the hours it's open. As far as staffing and shore leave...that's for celebrity to handle.

Edited by ghstudio