(Some) greedy diamonds

We have recently come off Rhapsody where there were so many d's, d+'s and pinnacles that the Diamond Lounge was way too small and part of the Shall We Dance lounge was used for the overflow. Some of the behaviour we saw disgusted me. There was no restriction on taking drinks out of the lounge, but some people abused the privilege . We saw one group get at least 3 martini type drinks each in the last 15 minutes and tip them into a tumbler. Then left the lounge carrying this "one drink" plus 5 bottles of premium water stuffed in their pockets/ waistbands. It's people like this who cause Royal to reassess benefits to the detriment of the majority of members

We have recently come off Rhapsody where there were so many d's, d+'s and pinnacles that the Diamond Lounge was way too small and part of the Shall We Dance lounge was used for the overflow. Some of the behaviour we saw disgusted me. There was no restriction on taking drinks out of the lounge, but some people abused the privilege . We saw one group get at least 3 martini type drinks each in the last 15 minutes and tip them into a tumbler. Then left the lounge carrying this "one drink" plus 5 bottles of premium water stuffed in their pockets/ waistbands. It's people like this who cause Royal to reassess benefits to the detriment of the majority of members

It is people like this that put the Concierge in a difficult position, yet the Concierge needs to handle the matter on a one by one situation -- it takes words from the Concierge to the cruiser behaving as you have described that will send a clear message to that/those cruisers to indicate that their behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated or they will lose the privilege for the remainder of the cruise to use the lounge. Abusing the privilege HAS consequences.

We saw one group get at least 3 martini type drinks each in the last 15 minutes and tip them into a tumbler. Then left the lounge carrying this "one drink" plus 5 bottles of premium water stuffed in their pockets/ waistbands.

It amazes me that people are not embarrassed to do that! Horrifying.

We heard that on the Serenade transatlantic a couple of years ago that people were taking knapsacks to the lounge to take bottles of wine away with them to share with their friends in the Schooner Bar :eek: so nothing surprises me. (The concierge told us this - it wasn't just hearsay)

Edited by Bobal

We heard that on the Serenade transatlantic a couple of years ago that people were taking knapsacks to the lounge to take bottles of wine away with them to share with their friends in the Schooner Bar :eek: so nothing surprises me. (The concierge told us this - it wasn't just hearsay)

If the concierge lets it happen, that's on him.

I take drinks out, big deal

I don't really care what others do on the ship as the OP seems to

I don't care either... unless their actions affect me and others. Hopefully, RCI will straighten out the concierge of the lounges instead of just cutting back the benefits.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Actually the concierge did address it by speaking to the people concerned and asking them to stop.

I always take a drink out with me too - a glass - not several bottles sneaked inside a bag :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you.

Appalling behaviour in the Lounges, was one of the reasons why we, together with others, have moved to Cunard and above.

It amazes me too. I would be far too embarrassed to do something like that. Every drink has a cost. Every bottle of water has a cost. Perhaps why perks are taken away in an attempt to keep costs the same.

It is greed-no matter whether you are a first time cruiser or a Pinnacle cruiser- greed is greed. It is just tacky to try to cheat the system.

Some folks have no shame.

I don't care either... unless their actions affect me and others. Hopefully, RCI will straighten out the concierge of the lounges instead of just cutting back the benefits.

The OP's point is in her last sentence: if this continues it could result in loss of the benefit for everyone. If RCI decides to shutdown the lounges due to abuses that can't be curtailed by the concierges, then I'm guessing we all will care.

Its one thing to take a drink out - who cares - but this is going beyond that - why should anyone care? Because eventually those people will ruin the perks for the others.

Totally agree with you.

Appalling behaviour in the Lounges, was one of the reasons why we, together with others, have moved to Cunard and above.

When we were younger and a kid's program was essential (pre-Disney cruises), we sailed on mass market lines and endured the widespread annoyances of things like rude gluttons, nickel-diming, etc.

Now, in retirement (and still always considering cost-to-benefit), we use Oceania as our preferred cruise line (not as "bottom line" expensive as some CC posters would erroneously have you believe). The behavior described in the earlier posts would not be tolerated on O because their management is vigilant and quick to respond.

As an example: Just this week, CC posters were upset about a seemingly new policy allowing e-cigarettes in other than the two designated smoking areas on Oceania ships. Several of us e-mailed the line's president and received an immediate reply (I exchanged e-mails with him on a Sunday morning!) that the policy would immediately be changed due to the e-cig facts/references we had cited. Try to find that on most other cruise lines.

BTW, if you ever want to try to connect directly with a cruise line president, a little bit of home work will get you the info you need. For example, check out Chris Elliott's website where he list the contact info for the top several exec officers of every major cruise, airline, et al. travel companies. Chris is the ombudsman for National Geographic Travel and has a widely read news column on solving travel issues. Get out your google and find Chris' website - worth the time and energy.

Just off jos west bound panama canal and what really bothered us was the d+ and pinnacle members who felt a sense of entitlement i.e. the greeter in the windjammer always played music and danced one morning he was speaking with a server who was carrying a tray of coffee cups on his head and this lady comes up to them pulls out her camera and very rudely says to them DANCE while snapping her fingers. They would get in the elevator and just say 6 or whatever deck they wanted never a please or thank you and yet we all wonder why most of the youth now days have no manners

I would be horrified if I saw someone dumping drinks into a tumbler or loading a backpack with water or a bottle of wine. How embarrasssing! They clearly have no pride so nothing anyone can really do to shame someone like this. I would say that this one or two nuts don't really take a lot from the overall amount consumed by those that act with some manners. We're Diamond and have only been to the Diamond lounge once in our cruises. We usually have someone with us that's not Diamond and we just don't leaving them hanging to go to the lounge so hopefully, people like us balance it out a bit.

Totally agree with you.

How could we forget. Despite you're alleged departure, you continue to prowl this board incessantly reminding us. :rolleyes:

You need to separate out the people from the group (D and above). This is about people and their appalling behavior. These people have always been this way and being D has nothing to do with their behavior. Behavior doesn't suddenly change because one becomes D. We are D+ and I would never, ever do something like this, just as I wouldn't have before. These are the same people that go through life taking whatever they want, doing whatever they want regardless of how it impacts anyone else. There is always a few in every D lounge I have been in who act like they are entitled. Either they overtip trying to buy/gain favors, take more than they should or are loud and obnoxious and treat the crew like crap. They would do this whether they were on a cruise or on a land vacation. It's unfortunately who they are. They abuse the privilege until it gets taken away from everyone. They don't care because their goal is to beat the "man".

The most we have ever done is take a drink out with us as we leave and then only if the concierge allowed it, since before vouchers, that varied from ship to ship.

I don't care either... unless their actions affect me and others. Hopefully, RCI will straighten out the concierge of the lounges instead of just cutting back the benefits.[/QUOTE]

We have seen one couple a few times on board, with a nap sack and big pockets that seem to get filled with cereal boxes etc! Whether they are very hungry in their cabin or not..... is not our business but if they are filling the cupboards at home then we are the ones that receive the cut backs by RCL.

The rest of us follow the rules and then we are affected by those that do not and abuse the system. Happens in other places in life as well....

You need to separate out the people from the group (D and above). This is about people and their appalling behavior. These people have always been this way and being D has nothing to do with their behavior. Behavior doesn't suddenly change because one becomes D. We are D+ and I would never, ever do something like this, just as I wouldn't have before. These are the same people that go through life taking whatever they want, doing whatever they want regardless of how it impacts anyone else.

You are so right. Crude people are crude people. They think they are getting over on someone. Not really. The prices continue to rise and the benefits continue to fall due to the greediness of some folks. They complain about the cost and the lack of benefits. They get greedier and take more and more. The prices go up and up and the benefits fall and fall. The cycle goes on.

Folks. Take what you need. Take what you are entitled to- i.e. if you get a "free drink" take A free drink- don't take six and put them into one container and pretend it is one drink. People are so greedy. This has nothing to do with loyalty points and loyalty lounges. It has everything to do with tacky people.

I find it interesting that people do not care if others abuse and not follow Royal's Crown & Anchor rules. For the record, the C&A benefit is offered with rules and restrictions. I, for sure, hope they do not eliminate/reduce the benefits due to people abusing the benefits.

I further wish that senior management would not manage from behind their desks in Miami and go on front operational lines and see the issues these employees have to deal with AND HELP THEM DO THEIR JOB and make policies they are committed to enforce and get rid of policies they are NOT going to enforce. Enforcement may end up with kicking someone out of C&A lounge or off ship or banning from sailing Royal!

Guess this logic (of not caring what others do if it does not effect me directly and I guess immediately and I know it effected me) follows to pool chair reserving, not washing hands after using bathroom, touching food and then putting it back, reserving theater chairs, using sanitizer when entering MDR/buffet areas, (you fill in the issue), etc.....

See this type of behavior almost every trip. In the past you were not suppose to take drinks out of the lounges but now it is ok. That being said, dumping 3 into one? That is extreme.

On a recent trip there was a couple that would ask for and receive 2 cans of soda and two beers when they left the CL each night. Tough on the bartender if you ask me. They deny the request and it puts their possible tip in jeopardy. I agree the concierge needs to step up in these cases.

As an FYI...D+ not suite. How do I know, they were sure to announce it to anyone who was within earshot. I will also add it is folks like this that give all cruisers a bad name.

As an FYI...D+ not suite. How do I know, they were sure to announce it to anyone who was within earshot. I will also add it is folks like this that give all cruisers a bad name.

I don't understand - and it seems to be specific to cruisers - why someone feels compelled to announce their loyalty status to others on a ship. I never hear passengers on, for example, Delta announce "Hey, I'm silver medallion!"

The people who do not follow the rules are probably the same ones I see in hotels taking food from the breakfast buffet and putting it in purses, bags, etc.

Not classy.

Non-enforcement of rules in the hospitality industry usually happens because management does not want a confrontation or fears offending a guest. There's not much one can do if management chooses not to enforce.