Tux Question

Ricktan

Opinions please.....white tie or black tie? Tails or no tails?

Thanks

Tanya

My first thought is black tie, no tails. I don't think I've ever seen white tie and tails on a HAL voyage. Not sure I've even seen it on Cunard. To be honest, there are more suits than tuxes on HAL's formal nights. But hey, no rule says you can't dress above the minimum.

Tails? You have to be kidding! Black tie and no tails is fine. A gentleman will not be overdressed with such a tux.

There is nothing wrong with a nice dinner jacket, approrpiate tie, and black trousers, either.

So how about black tux pants, black tux shirt, white 'tux' dinner jacket and white tie?? My DH looks fantastic in his when he does not wear the traditional black tux + white shirt (and he also has a tropical bowtie).

Excellent! I like something a little different and this is great.

So how about black tux pants, black tux shirt, white 'tux' dinner jacket and white tie?? My DH looks fantastic in his when he does not wear the traditional black tux + white shirt (and he also has a tropical bowtie).

Yes! I like that idea. And, why not a red bow tie?

White tie, waistcoat, and tails is formal dinner dress. Having said that, you will probably not find anyone attired that way on a cruise - with the possible exception of Cunard. You're most likely to encounter black tie on a cruise.

I agree with the other posters that most men look great in a Tux with Black tie, Red tie, Tropical tie w/matching vest or cummerbund, or the above sharp outfit...But please no tails..:D:D

LOL ... A few days ago, people were supportive of another poster wanting to wear this outfit (http://khaoswolfden.wolfden-enterprises.com/lotgd/pics/Moreta/20140418_171716.jpg) and now they object to tails? Funny how one's sense of style can change so fast :rolleyes:

That was a question on whether the outfit would be appropriate for smart casual, not formal.

If someone is asking white tie with tails versus black tie without, I assume they are referring to the bog standard Western 20th century level of formality. If you're working on that scale, then white tie with tails is too formal, and that's as much a fashion blunder as dressing too informally for those for whom that is important.

In spite of the fact that I'm a big fan of wide diversity in formal clothing as opposed to a narrow scale, I'm just fine with someone else's personal taste for themselves being on that scale. I know a lot of guys who don't want to have to deal with fashion choices, and prefer to dress to a standard look. I wouldn't tell them, "yes, white tie with tails is fine!" even though it would be fine to me, because it wouldn't be fine to them. They'd be mortified at showing up overdressed.

Are you celebrating a special occasion? How formal is your partner?

What do you prefer? Which do you think you look better wearing?

Heck, if you want, pack a light blue tux with a ruffle shirt. It's your cruise. As long as you are decently covered, it doesn't matter what other people think.

He has red plus several different colors, patterns, I especially like his silver treaded one. Hate to admit this but I have a lavender long dress and he has a matching bowtie which he begrudgingly wears.

So, semi-formal then?. ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_wear

No I never said that! HAL's idea of Formal is not tails, & do not want the OP's significant other to feel out of place!

That was a question on whether the outfit would be appropriate for smart casual, not formal.

If someone is asking white tie with tails versus black tie without, I assume they are referring to the bog standard Western 20th century level of formality. If you're working on that scale, then white tie with tails is too formal, and that's as much a fashion blunder as dressing too informally for those for whom that is important.

In spite of the fact that I'm a big fan of wide diversity in formal clothing as opposed to a narrow scale, I'm just fine with someone else's personal taste for themselves being on that scale. I know a lot of guys who don't want to have to deal with fashion choices, and prefer to dress to a standard look. I wouldn't tell them, "yes, white tie with tails is fine!" even though it would be fine to me, because it wouldn't be fine to them. They'd be mortified at showing up overdressed.

Exactly!!

Other than staff, and I'm not sure that I remember even that from HAL, I don't remember ever seeing a passenger wearing tails. I'm even less sure about white tie and don't recall seeing that on any cruise over 20 years. Maybe Cunard? :)

My first thought is black tie, no tails. I don't think I've ever seen white tie and tails on a HAL voyage. Not sure I've even seen it on Cunard. To be honest, there are more suits than tuxes on HAL's formal nights. But hey, no rule says you can't dress above the minimum.

Just my observation....

Definitely there are more "suits than tuxedos"; and frequently there are even more "sport coats and ties" than suits. The ratio of tuxedos to suits to sport coats can vary depending on the clientele on the specific cruise.

Example: I just got off the Oosterdam (36 nights from Auckland to Vancouver). It could be booked in to different segments (i.e. Auckland to Sydney and Sydney to Vancouver). About half the ship turned over in Sydney. For whatever reason there were many more sport coats (than suits) on formal night from Auckland to Sydney. And there were more suits than sport coats and more tuxedos overall on formal nights from Sydney to Auckland.

tuxedo_flower-2755.gif

Thank you (everyone) for the feed back. My DH's tux has no tails ( that was actually brought up by a friend....I thought 'too much', she thought not). However, if that is what my DH wanted, I wouldn't care. I believe in dressing for yourself, not others. He did mention that he was he was thinking of adding a white jacket to his mix of 'dress up' clothes and I think those look great myself. We live on a farm and rarely dress up so we enjoy the chance to clean up and make the effort to look nice.

I have a black tie, a red tie and a "Hawaii print" tie. All are worn on cruises, depending on the length of the cruise and number of formal nights.

No tails.

I love when someone adds their own personal flair!:)