Pinnacle member attacked in Naples Italy

We chatted with Mario, aka Super Mario , on Indie in March and I know he was doing the Allure TA and staying on for some sailings, not sure how long.

Whom ever it is I hope they recover quickly.

Okay, just read on another thread Mario is back on Indie.

Again , whom ever it is speedy recovery to them.

I just reported on what was told to me, so please don't read into the Pinnacle part as it would be terrible for anyone to experience this crime. So if I said it was a passenger, would I then have comments about why I mentioned a passenger?

OP

Your original post and this one were stated very informatively, and I appreciate the heads up..............

When traveling out of your safe zone, it is good to be on the alert and pay attention to your surroundings.

Thanks for your post.

Just heard from a friend sailing on Allure out of Barcelona that a male Pinnacle member was attacked on the street 1 block from the ship in Naples Italy. 2 guys on a scooter cut him off and ripped his jewelry off while draging him down the road. I didn't find out his name, but was told that several police cars came out and he was taken to the hospital. I was told that he had blood all over his legs and hand from the road burn. Apparently this Pinnacle member has been on board for several weeks now since dry dock .

Security told my friend that this is a very common crime in Naples and a lot of people are starting to find out on the ship in the suite lounge since it just happened yesterday afternoon. Why do they even stop there if this crime is do out of control?

It's very shocking!

Firstly I hope the victim makes a speedy recovery.

The reason ships stop here is because it is a gateway to a wealth of history, and beautiful places to visit. Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii, Capri, Sorrento are all pretty much a stones throw away.. There are lots of ports that ships dock at that are in less desirable places than Naples, or that have high rates of muggings.

Naples itself, is not the nicest of places. It is like walking down a street in any major city. Stick to the main streets, avoid less populated side streets and if possible keep jewelry to a minimum to avoid attention.

When I was in Barbados at a market once a street vendor grabbed my wrist pretending to try to shake my hand, and I could tell they were trying to steel my watch. Little did they know I buy a cheap watch with elasticated strap to wear when I go ashore so it is not easily removable, and if I lose it at a beach it doesn't matter. I clenched my fist up and kept calm and after a few attempts to pull my hand out of their grasp they let go unsuccessful at their watch grab attempt. I knew instantly what they were trying to do as firstly they went for my left hand and secondly they used both hands to shake my hand to try to conceal what they were doing.

My point is muggings and bag snatches happen in any major city, especially areas high in tourists. It is unfortunate when it does happen, and can ruin a vacation. Just try to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings.

About 7 years ago when we were in Naples I talked to a man in the hot tub who was robbed of his Rolex watch that morning & he said I am a defense attorney & I donot know if I Can defend these SOB anymore.

This made me shake my head. I guess defending these people is not a problem if it's not his property that's taken.

I have never heard anything but bad concerning Naples. I'm of Italian descent and even all the Italians I've ever known consider Naples a dump. When we went there, my wife and I did a ship's excursion to Pompeii and then climbing Mt. Vesuvius, and had no issues. There are similar ports where it's not a great idea to walk around on your own; I've heard bad things about Belize City and, again, we did a ship's tour and didn't have a problem, but were basically told, "Do NOT walk out of the port area on your own." We just came back from St. Petersburg, and the 9-hour tour was punctuated by repeated warnings about pickpockets every time we got off the tour bus. The bottom line is, you need to be aware of the type of city you're in and whether or not it's safe. Sure, crime can happen anywhere, but my wife and I have been to a bunch of other European cities now and haven't had any issues (Nice, Florence, Rome, Pisa, Barcelona, Oslo, Amsterdam, Bruges, Stockholm, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki... even Palermo, although all I did was get off the ship, walk briskly for three blocks trying to look like I was a native, and got back on the ship).

Edited by jd10367

I agree with the. The C&A status is not relevant.

Oh, good grief. Lighten up.

There are relatively few Pinnacles, so that additional information served to personalize and narrow the field of victims, just the same had OP said "someone from Detroit", or "one of the dancers" or "a frequent cruiser from Germany". It wasn't intended to say that it made the incident more tragic.

Some of us know several Pinnacles by name, so the post seemed more relevant than if the OP had only information that it was a cruiser.

I have not cruised around Italy, but in several trips have spent about 6 weeks total touring all over Italy. Every trip we were warned by guides not to wear jewelry, especially in Naples, and to guard our belongings. In Naples we did not even bring our purses. Left them locked in the suitcase back at the hotel with the passports, credit cards and majority of the money in the hotel safe. I only had the cash I expected to spend and 1 credit card with me in a money belt under my clothes whenever I ventured out in Naples.

I did everything I possibly could to safeguard things on every trip to Italy, but I was robbed at knifepoint on one trip in Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. In a church no less by Gypsies.

They got my wallet and camera. The biggest pain was they got my driver's license so I had to replace it upon my return. They got 1 credit card and a little cash. I quickly called my husband and had him cancel it. I was planning on spending big on shoes, thus the credit card was with me. Like in Naples passports and most important items were in the hotel safe or the money belt.

I wouldn't wish the cruise lines to skip Naples or Rome or any port in Italy. It is an amazing country, even with my one bad experience.

I do wish the Pinnacle Member a speedy recovery and hope that he was not badly injured.

Edited by DebJ14

I truly hope this man is OK.

Weather he is Pinnacle or Scottish or German........... has nothing to do with the story. All should know a passenger was attacked and be aware when stopping at this port.

Security told my friend that this is a very common crime in Naples

Why is attacking Pinnacle members so common in Naples? How are they targeting Pinnacle members? Do they look for the Pinnacle pin? This is scary!

We were in Italy 33 years ago and were warned about this type of crime, so it's far from new. We were in Rome and Gaeta. That said, I hope the injured party is okay. DH who is a retired US Naval officer never liked Naples and he and others he served with had not so nice things to say about it. Some ports are worse than others for certain types of crime.

Geez people, get over the fact the OP mentioned the word "pinnacle".

I just reported on what was told to me, so please don't read into the Pinnacle part as it would be terrible for anyone to experience this crime. So if I said it was a passenger, would I then have comments about why I mentioned a passenger?

their C&A status is irrelevant to all salient points of the issue.

naming it as a passenger( or crew member, for that matter) for a ship is entirely reasonable.

Why is attacking Pinnacle members so common in Naples? How are they targeting Pinnacle members? Do they look for the Pinnacle pin? This is scary!

It was not meant that attacking Pinnacle members was common, they meant attacks in general on anyone were common.

It's unfortunate but crime like this happens everywhere. Tourists are targeted and if the criminal thinks there is an opportunity they will take it.

As far as the person being Pinnacle, keep in mind the OP received the story second hand which could have been a rumor discussed on board. Sometimes stories are embellished by the time it gets told multiple times. I wouldn't think too much about that but it is a good reminder to pay attention to ones surroundings.

Been to Naples on the Allure about a week ago. No, Mario wasn´t onboard.

Being robbed from a scooter is one of the oldest methods they use in Naples. I´ve been there with school more than 30 years ago and that´s the first thing our teacher pointed out. I don´t remember with whom I talked to onboard but that´s been my advisory for Naples:

1. Do not take any jewelry with you.

2. Do not take any larges sums of money with you.

3. Men, do not put your wallet in your back pocket of your trousers.

4. Women, make sure the strap of your bag goes across your shoulder and wear your bag on the side not facing the street. Keep your hand on your bag.

5. If someone is coming up with a scooter and grabbing your bag: LET IT GO!!! Otherwise you will end up in a hospital.

Following the basic rules of common sense you should be fine. I´ve been to Naples numerous times - not only on cruise ships but mainly on land trips. Knocking on wood but I never encountered any problems. BTW the first thing our (Latin) teacher showed us in Naples was the tiny road where you can buy back your stolen property!

steamboats

The Pinnacle reference basically implies the victim wasn't young, no need to make a BFD about it. I hope he comes out of the assault OK.

The whole demonstrates why I have little interest in visiting EU nowadays. Grew up there but it's now infested with third world riff-raff because of EU's stupid laws.

Been to Naples on the Allure about a week ago. No, Mario wasn´t onboard.

Being robbed from a scooter is one of the oldest methods they use in Naples. I´ve been there with school more than 30 years ago and that´s the first thing our teacher pointed out. I don´t remember with whom I talked to onboard but that´s been my advisory for Naples:

1. Do not take any jewelry with you.

2. Do not take any larges sums of money with you.

3. Men, do not put your wallet in your back pocket of your trousers.

4. Women, make sure the strap of your bag goes across your shoulder and wear your bag on the side not facing the street. Keep your hand on your bag.

5. If someone is coming up with a scooter and grabbing your bag: LET IT GO!!! Otherwise you will end up in a hospital.

Following the basic rules of common sense you should be fine. I´ve been to Naples numerous times - not only on cruise ships but mainly on land trips. Knocking on wood but I never encountered any problems. BTW the first thing our (Latin) teacher showed us in Naples was the tiny road where you can buy back your stolen property!

steamboats

Very good safety tips to apply in any tourist area.

My Step-Mother was mugged in the same way in Torremolinos (Spain) 20 years ago and she too was dragged down the street. In addition to the visible injuries, she took a nasty bang to the head and the doctors think that this triggered her early onset alztheimers. Be careful and be aware!

Gail

Just heard from a friend sailing on Allure out of Barcelona that a male Pinnacle member was attacked on the street 1 block from the ship in Naples Italy. 2 guys on a scooter cut him off and ripped his jewelry off while draging him down the road. I didn't find out his name, but was told that several police cars came out and he was taken to the hospital. I was told that he had blood all over his legs and hand from the road burn. Apparently this Pinnacle member has been on board for several weeks now since dry dock .

Security told my friend that this is a very common crime in Naples and a lot of people are starting to find out on the ship in the suite lounge since it just happened yesterday afternoon. Why do they even stop there if this crime is do out of control?

It's very shocking!

Sadly, it isn't shocking, just too close to home, as it were. Tourists are targets in many major cities around the world.

Our Serenade cruise last year docked in Salerno instead of Naples and, although it was more of a challenge to get to some of the sights and sites, it was a nicer place to walk around for those of us who didn't want to take a ship excursion.

I hope the victim makes a full and speedy recovery.

Actually the whole itinerary of the Allure / Western Med is a little bit dangerous:

Barcelona and Rome are infamous for pickpockets.

Same for Marseilles - and a couple in front of me at the ferry ticket office got pickpocketed a couple of minutes later.

Naples has pickpockets and that scooter thing.

Palma de Mallorca and La Spezia are a little bit safer than the other ports.

But lets see it positive: I don´t have to fear to get shot when someone wants my money... That´s something to fear in any larger city in the US or many of the Caribbean ports (like Nassau which is pretty dangerous in those days).

So folks, just follow the common sense!!

And of course I hope the unlucky passenger will soon recover!

steamboats

The Pinnacle reference basically implies the victim wasn't young, no need to make a BFD about it. I hope he comes out of the assault OK.

The whole demonstrates why I have little interest in visiting EU nowadays. Grew up there but it's now infested with third world riff-raff because of EU's stupid laws.

you cannot assume age by C&A status.

look at all the kids who are already Diamonds in their own right( and not just by glomming on to Mum and Dad' Status ) or the retirees who do not even BEGIN cruising until they are in their 50s.