Disinfecting your room?

gertieginsc

We don't bother but there are definitely germ freaks out there. I have read posts where people bring wipes and wipe down everything including walls, want new linen and towels even though they were changed out in the morning for their arrival, asked for a new shower curtain (not a bad idea if there is any sign of mold) or demand a new filter vent...new one on me. That all said go for it, then shake hands with the table mate who hasn't washed their hands all day.

A more effective expenditure of time and effort would be to wash you hands a few more times and to regularly keep your hands away from your face: while it is close to impossible to sterilize your environment, it is not that hard to keep your environment out of your body.

This will give you a false sense of protection. The minute you leave your room and touch elevator buttons, stair banisters, open deck railings, bathroom door handles, chair arms, etc., you will be undoing all your efforts disinfecting your room.

I am a senior citizen now, and I have never disinfected any room I have ever stayed in. I rarely ever get sick. I am a firm believer that constantly sanitizing everything to avoid infections or viruses will result in a low immunity threshold. A person needs to allow their bodies to build up an immunity to common viruses. Constantly disinfecting everything will prevent that from happening.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I can't help it. I do bring the antiseptic wipes and wipe out the drawers where I will be putting my things (including clothing), the remote control, the toilet seat and telephone, coffee table and end table. Takes all of two minutes and makes me feel better. I carry them with me and I wash my hands often and use the wipes when in port too. Doesn't bother me if you don't and yes, I see people leave the bathroom all the time without washing their hands. I also don't sit on the public toilet seats and use a wipe for the person coming behind me..just in case :D

What are you thoughts on wiping down your room in an effort to not get sick?

Thanks,

Gertieginsc

unnecessary and a waste of time

oh and I am immuno compromised and have yet to catch Noro on board

I can't help it. I do bring the antiseptic wipes and wipe out the drawers where I will be putting my things (including clothing), the remote control, the toilet seat and telephone, coffee table and end table. Takes all of two minutes and makes me feel better. I carry them with me and I wash my hands often and use the wipes when in port too. Doesn't bother me if you don't and yes, I see people leave the bathroom all the time without washing their hands. I also don't sit on the public toilet seats and use a wipe for the person coming behind me..just in case :D

What you are doing can't hurt. It is a total waste of time and accomplishes nothing at all but it can't hurt. If it makes you feel better, go for it.

DON

Normally I won't wipe things down but we just returned from a ship that had the norovirus on it the previous sailing.

We knew our room was cleaned by the steward and didn't go nuts asking for things like new linens but we did wipe things like the remote, telephone, light switches, door handles.

I know a previous poster said as soon as you leave the room you undo everything you already did. But the first thing we did when returning to our room was wash out hands. So hopefully we didn't undo anything.

Yes, we used the antibacterial gel at all the dining room entrances and washed our hands frequently. But when I'm in my cabin I don't want to be running to the bathroom to wash my hands every time I use the TV remote.

Again ... we did have unusual circumstances.

What are you thoughts on wiping down your room in an effort to not get sick?

Thanks,

Gertieginsc

Are you also going to wipe down every single inch of the ship outside the staterooms? Because many more people come in contact with those areas vs the inside of your stateroom. Sorry, I'm really not asking this to be sarcastic. I'm asking this because I honestly want to know. I don't understand the thinking of germaphobes.

Utter silliness.

If you do that then you also must wipe down the entire ship, any cabs or busses you ride throughout the trip, every building you visit on an excursion, every restaurant you dine in (don't forget the underside of the table!), oh and those germy tender boats...

People who are that afraid of germs are best to wash their hands frequently and avoid touching their face. They could also dawn gloves and face masks if they so desire.

I can't help it. I do bring the antiseptic wipes and wipe out the drawers where I will be putting my things (including clothing), the remote control, the toilet seat and telephone, coffee table and end table. Takes all of two minutes and makes me feel better....

I could have written your entire comment. I do exactly the same thing. If anyone wants to bash me, then go ahead. I know I have a problem and you telling me I'm silly or crazy does not help in the least.

But yes, I wipe down surfaces too. :)

Normally I won't wipe things down but we just returned from a ship that had the norovirus on it the previous sailing.

We knew our room was cleaned by the steward and didn't go nuts asking for things like new linens but we did wipe things like the remote, telephone, light switches, door handles.

I know a previous poster said as soon as you leave the room you undo everything you already did. But the first thing we did when returning to our room was wash out hands. So hopefully we didn't undo anything.

Yes, we used the antibacterial gel at all the dining room entrances and washed our hands frequently. But when I'm in my cabin I don't want to be running to the bathroom to wash my hands every time I use the TV remote.

Again ... we did have unusual circumstances.

A few years ago we did an extended cruise that had a Noro outbreak for about 20-some days. There were two segments and on turnaround day the ship did a "deep cleaning". All passengers had to disembark while that was going on. Leaving our cabin I noticed that all of the cabins around us had one or two red stickers on the door frame. We did not. It was later confirmed that those stickers indicated how many in the cabin had been sick. Obviously our cabin stewards had been following the cruise line's established protocol to prevent cross contamination.

We have faith in our cabin stewards to properly clean our cabins. We have no faith in our fellow passengers to follow simple instructions. :rolleyes: Apparently 'patient 0' and her friends were laughing in a lounge one day about how many times she'd broken quarantine. While she wasn't the only one to do so (several times a day we heard passengers paged), the pretty severe outbreak could have been much better if she'd followed protocol.

So, we've actually been on a cruise with an outbreak - and I got Noro once while on vacation at a 'well known theme park' in Florida. I do NOT want to go through that again. Even so, the only thing we started doing differently that cruise is to have our bathroom door open when we leave the cabin. That way we can wash our hands immediately upon returning - without needing to touch anything.

If it makes people feel better doing the extra cleaning - go for it. Just don't let it give you a false sense of security. Also, realize that using antibacterial cleaners won't really do anything to get rid of a virus.

As a microbiologist let me tell you:

Any cleaner/disinfectant YOU can buy at the grocery, drug or mass market stores will do SQUAT.

To do any kind of decernt job against bacteria or viruses you need to use specialized commercial disinfectants or specailly prepared bleach solutions.