Income of Royal Caribbean Passengers

What is your cruising family's household income?  

734 members have voted

1. 1. What is your cruising family's household income?

• 0-40,000
    • 40,001-80,000
    • 80,001-120,000
    • 120,001-180,000
    • 180,001 +

We stayed there mostly for our daughter who was six at the time for all the bells and whistles. We are probably going to do a week at Disney before our next cruise next summer. We just haven't decided on which line yet. Toss up between the Carnivals Magic, NCL's Escape and RCI Allure or Oasis.

If you do go to Disney again, make sure you check out the Condos in the area and also the vacation homes, don't just settle quickly on the resort unless you are sure that is really what you want.

Its been 30 years :eek: Im sure I would enjoy it ok during off peak times. Im just not good in heat and big crowds though.

Im also sure that my jaw would drop at all the changes in the last 30 years. LOL. Epcot hadnt been opened all that long the last time i was there :o I use to live about 25 minutes from the main gate west on I4 back towards Tampa. We also had our senior prom at the Contemporary in 1988.

LOL, I meant you'd enjoy it more than I'll enjoy my cruise.

A 7 day disney ticket is $356, not including park hopper. Now add in meals and lodging. I'm not sure how you can possibly go to disney even twice for the cost of one cruise.

To get that 2:1 ratio I think you'll have to stay at the fort wilderness campground and make most or all of your own food. Or you're staying in a Grand Suite or better. I just don't see how you can make the math work if you're really serious and making a apples to apples comparison.

I am having a similar email conversation with my neighbor. She thinks their family of 2 adults/2 teens can go to Costa Rica to an all-inclusive for half the price of the 7 night Freedom cruise I showed her. I went to the resort's web site, and to get all meals, all non-alcoholic beverages, and the room for 7 nights it was about $2,000 more than the Freedom. You have to compare apples to apples, and many people don't include taxes, food, beverages, and entertainment in order to compare accurately to a cruise. Air was a wash: CR and Orlando were the same price.

You probably could if you book a higher room for the cruise, a lower resort or off resort at Disney and eat cheap. I know I spend at least $5,000.00 to $6,000 every cruise. Throw in a back to back which we prefer to do and boom 10 to 12 grand gone.

Yes, maybe if you book a higher room but the one quoted was an interior.

I know you can stay off resort and eat cheap to lower the cost, I was just trying to stick with an even comparison. 7 day disney package vs. a seven day Oasis interior. If you're staying off property and not using their food plans, now you're debating whether or not its a 'disney vacation' because you went to their parks a few days in the week.

This is a totally anonymous survey do not feel the need to answer if you do not feel so inclined!

A crew member we became close with on a cruise last weekend commented about how passengers are all rich and have lots of disposable income.

That has not ever been my perception of mainstream cruising but I see how to a crew member from a poor country would see anybody taking a vacation as rich so I wanted to do an unofficial general poll about it.

I ask that nobody comment anything snide, controversial, suggestive, etcetera and let the pool run its course.

I find this poll odd. RICH is people who just throw money around like its water.. and MANY people do that while on vacation, cause they are ON VACATION... maybe they saved for it..How would anyone know that someone is RICH? cause they have a nice bag or dress? i have a Nice bag , but I got it for christmas, i buy lots of souvenirs, so im rich? Yes Im rich, I have a RIch family, rich love, and rich chocolate... SO im rich and a stay at home mom.

We are taking our great-granddaughter to Disney World in September for her 5th birthday. There will be four of us....me, wife grand-daughter and GGD. We will do two days at Disney, so figure $400 per day for tickets. We are going to stay at Shades of Green for a little over $100 per night for three nights. No idea where we will eat but I'm sure a few of the meal will be in the park. Food will easily be over $150 per day. So, just to spend the weekend at Disney for four people will cost around $1400 excluding the 600 mile ride there and back. Last cruise the wife and I went on just after Thanksgiving cost us $299 per person for a seven night ocean view room. I think a cruise is a far superior vacation compared to Disney.

Now that this poll has reached 500 contributors, I have to ask this.....what did anyone expect from this poll? Are you surprised at what it shows? What value does this poll give you?

For me I thought that the number of cruisers would be much higher in the 80-120K range. Based on what the survey states, that represents 29% of the survey. I would have thought that to be closer to 45%. So I am surprised at that. I thought the number would be smaller in the 180K + category. So I am also surprised at that number.

I don't know what value this survey has.....for me, it only proves that cruisers come from different financial backgrounds and nothing more. But I knew that before.

LOL...pretty simple, right?!? But it's Cruise Critic. This is the place where we welcome everyone to contribute questions, deep thoughts, personal opinions about cruising. Then we turn on the posters; verbally assault them, and beat them mercilessly with the cyber-space bat. I love this place. :rolleyes:

So true, oh so very true....;)

Now that this poll has reached 500 contributors, I have to ask this.....what did anyone expect from this poll? Are you surprised at what it shows? What value does this poll give you?

For me I thought that the number of cruisers would be much higher in the 80-120K range. Based on what the survey states, that represents 29% of the survey. I would have thought that to be closer to 45%. So I am surprised at that. I thought the number would be smaller in the 180K + category. So I am also surprised at that number.

I don't know what value this survey has.....for me, it only proves that cruisers come from different financial backgrounds and nothing more. But I knew that before.

I was surprised that $180,000 was the top bracket. Especially if it is a two earner household. That seemed kind of low to me. There should have been a $250,000 bracket at least. Most of the people I know that cruise make at least that.

I was surprised that $180,000 was the top bracket. Especially if it is a two earner household. That seemed kind of low to me. There should have been a $250,000 bracket at least. Most of the people I know that cruise make at least that.

I agree and disagree. Years back when cruising was a more luxurious experience, a lot of our friends used to cruise. Now the clientele seems to be changing a bit with the mass market lines targeting the middle class and bargain crowd.

I know a lot more friends are taking high-end land vacations now.

Well, there are many two earner families that don't make it even close to the $180K combined earnings around the USA. Some people work two jobs and if both earners in a family are doing that, just to eek out a fair standard of living (in their location). Then they may have to save for that wonderful cruise vacation -- and it probably doesn't come easily.

As I did some research before I asked my question in post #146, I also was surprised at the breakdown of the categories for the poll. If the median income in the US (based on 2013 stats) is $52K -- lower portion of middle class is considered $30-$50K; mid middle class between $50-$80K and then upper middle class is $80K and higher. I did not look at what the top of 'middle class' would therefore be.

I don't consider us privileged or wealthy at all, but we have the ability to cruise fairly often, even if not as often as we would like....and we do need to look for good pricing when we do it. Even on Royal we find good pricing.

While we are hashing out another argument on a totally derailed thread,

That's so funny to me. I'm imagining that the OP is somewhere relaxing with a box of popcorn and watching the rest of us go at it...LOL

Guess that's a question for the OP to answer, since they asked it. For the rest of us, this is just purely for "entertainment purposes only" since we've got no real evidence that the voters are telling the truth one way or the other. This thread has really gone off the rails at this point...LOL

Rich is in the eye of the beholder. Depending on my background and current circumstances, I might feel rich if our family income were $40,000 a year. There are quite a few who feel that at that level they are living in poverty (US standards.)

I am frequently recall our tour guide in Costa Rica earlier this year when she pointed out homes that we would have considered lower income or subsistence level were middle class homes. Their income needs were no where near what the average American feel they need to have to be considered middle income.

Personally, I don't get the buddy thing with the staff. They are there to do a job. I am polite, have few needs and show gratitude, both verbally and with cash to individuals I interact with on the ship. I do not expect them to be my new BFF, I am sure they have plenty of friends with their coworkers, not some tourist passing through.

I've never had the conversations with anyone on the ship, fellow passenger or cabin steward that some on the boards seem to feel the need to have. To me it is the same as asking the passenger on the lounge next to me - who is looking after your children this week? How much do you make? Do you have to share that with other people at your job? What are your accommodations like? Do they feed you well at your job? I would also be just as shocked to have a virtual stranger ask me intimate questions.

The odd part - for income so much also depends on where you are in life. We are retired so our income needs are very different from our neighbors with college age children or couples with small children or just starting out. Right now, I really don't know what our "income" really is.

Edited by temple1

Guess that's a question for the OP to answer, since they asked it. For the rest of us, this is just purely for "entertainment purposes only" since we've got no real evidence that the voters are telling the truth one way or the other. This thread has really gone off the rails at this point...LOL

And maybe the OP will answer. You are absolutely correct when you say we have no evidence that the voters told the truth.

Probably true, but more getting a feel for the demographics of their passengers.

An the reason for wanting to know that is probably to figure out if they can raise drink prices, specialty dining prices, AND cruise prices. ;):D

Edited by Ocean Boy