What has happened to Customer Service

So i booked a cruise on Allure for my daughters high school graduation. Connecting balcony rooms so she can bring a friend along. Called today because I could only pull up one of my reservations online (my room, my daughters room would not show up?) The girl was very nice and patient but after an hour and ten minutes on the phone with her and the problem not being resolved my patience started to wear thin. She tried to fix it, her supervisor tried to fix it, then they called the loyalty department who also tried to fix it, then the loyalty supervisor tried to fix it...after over an hour they call the the guys in IT.....took 5 people to realize that my daughters last name was misspelled...2 letters were reversed....problem solved! So I said to the girl now that I have given up over an hour of my time on a busy weekend in the spirit of customer service can you do something to make it up to us? I just booked 2 rooms, the error was due to a RC employee who spelled SMITH wrong and I just wasted over an hour sitting on hold multiple times...surely you can throw me a bone here. Her response very sheepishly was "NOW?" I said yes now..she again placed me on hold to go ask someone....bottom line my wife and I will get a plate of strawberries in our room....not what I was expecting but what can you do. I work for a company that is obsessed with Client Service and I think that has spoiled me because I now expect that type of service from everyone I deal with. Problem is most companies today don't feel the same way about "Creating an Amazing Client Experience"

Edited by tampacruiser

It seems like they did provide good customer service. They did not shy away from helping you and made sure that your reservation was corrected. I would say the bad customer service would not have taken the time to get your situation resolved.

Just my opinion

A better question might be, What has happened to customers?

In the old days, if there was a challenge, we fixed it and apologized. Case closed.

Today, we fix the problem and the first thing we hear is, "How much do I get?"

After apologizing, we hear, "Words are cheap. Give me money"

The next customer comment is, "The amount you offered is an insult".

Marketing to the Me, ME, ME, ME, ME generation was a big mistake.

You have a receipt for 2 connecting cabins...right? There you go! You're done! Not sure what the problem is. The website sucks...everyone knows that. The customer service folks only know what's in front of them...everyone knows that.

You want compensation because your name was misspelled? Really?

Call them another day, and simply correct the spelling.

It's YOU who wasted your own time.

So i booked a cruise on Allure for my daughters high school graduation. Connecting balcony rooms so she can bring a friend along. Called today because I could only pull up one of my reservations online (my room, my daughters room would not show up?) The girl was very nice and patient but after an hour and ten minutes on the phone with her and the problem not being resolved my patience started to wear thin. She tried to fix it, her supervisor tried to fix it, then they called the loyalty department who also tried to fix it, then the loyalty supervisor tried to fix it...after over an hour they call the the guys in IT.....took 5 people to realize that my daughters last name was misspelled...2 letters were reversed....problem solved! So I said to the girl now that I have given up over an hour of my time on a busy weekend in the spirit of customer service can you do something to make it up to us? I just booked 2 rooms, the error was due to a RC employee who spelled SMITH wrong and I just wasted over an hour sitting on hold multiple times...surely you can throw me a bone here. Her response very sheepishly was "NOW?" I said yes now..she again placed me on hold to go ask someone....bottom line my wife and I will get a plate of strawberries in our room....not what I was expecting but what can you do. I work for a company that is obsessed with Client Service and I think that has spoiled me because I now expect that type of service from everyone I deal with. Problem is most companies today don't feel the same way about "Creating an Amazing Client Experience"

Didn't you get an invoice when you booked your cabins? If you didn't, you should really ask for one in the future so you can check for any errors and have them corrected right away.

As for the compensation, I don't think you are due any for a spelling error.

I have to agree, bad customer service would have been not fixing the problem. From what you posted I think you got very good customer service.

I hope your daughter and friend have a really great graduation cruise. :)

Hopefully you can just let go of your frustration and enjoy the cruise also.

Not often I can agree with "every" post above...but this time..definitely !!!!

Me too. Glad to see everyone is on the same page. OP expected sympathy here and didn't get it:D His definition of "customer service" is apparently "something for nothing"...................

Edited by bouhunter

How much is a customers' time worth to a corporation?

If I spent 2 hours on the phone for something that is clearly RCI's error, I would want $100 OBC.

I ask, how many times has a merchant charged you for something you did wrong? The doctor charges you for a missed appointment, but offers nothing when you sit waiting for them. I bank charges you an OD fee. Almost all businesses charge you a late fee for a missed payment. Don't show up for an in-home service appointment. On and on...

How do you expect them to pay for ALL those new ships:rolleyes:

So i booked a cruise on Allure for my daughters high school graduation. Connecting balcony rooms ... Called today ...2 letters were reversed....problem solved!

Glad you got the issue resolved! Hope you and your daughters have a great cruise! Must be fun having twins...

Just took me 5 mins of my time reading this thread. Can I have $10 for my time? [emoji43]

I bet it was frustrating being on the phone so long but you did reach a resolution, as simple it may have been in hindsight. Enjoy your cruise, and the strawberries!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

Yikes - that does sound irritating, annoying and a waste of your time! But if it were me, I'd just have been real grateful and relieved that in the end it was something simple and easy to resolve. Potentially it could have been a whole lot worse!... Enjoy your trip! :)

The girl was very nice and patient but after an hour and ten minutes on the phone with her and the problem not being resolved my patience started to wear thin. She tried to fix it, her supervisor tried to fix it, then they called the loyalty department who also tried to fix it, then the loyalty supervisor tried to fix it...after over an hour they call the the guys in IT.....took 5 people to realize that my daughters last name was misspelled...2 letters were reversed....problem solved!

Didn't they email you booking confirmations for the two cabins? Did you look at them? If so, too bad YOU didn't REALIZE your daughter's last name was misspelled - you could have kept six people (yourself included) from wasting over an hour of their time.

Personally, I think the fact that five people were dedicated non-stop to solving your problem (albeit caused at their end) is impressive customer service.

Strawberries for everyone! :D

~ Judy

If they are the strawberries with chocolate they are delicious.

We almost always get OBC these days just for booking. On our next cruise we got $200 during the BOGOHO sale.

I feel your pain though. Waiting on hold for a long time is really tedious. I've had to do that before and just carry the phone around with me listening to the on hold "whatever". It kind of sucks, but, hey, you get to go on a cruise.

:)

Tom

Didn't they email you booking confirmations for the two cabins? Did you look at them? If so, too bad YOU didn't REALIZE your daughter's last name was misspelled - you could have kept six people (yourself included) from wasting over an hour of their time.

Personally, I think the fact that five people were dedicated non-stop to solving your problem (albeit caused at their end) is impressive customer service.

Strawberries for everyone! :D

~ Judy

Well said, I was thinking exactly the same. You would not believe the number of clients who do not read the documents I issue as a business travel consultant to ensure all booked details are correct and then blame us for any issues. We send them out to give clients every opportunity to ensure details are correct as mistakes do happen but we will provide excellent customer service to resolve any issues if we are advised.

1. Flight quotation with names listed as 'Title', 'First name' & 'Surname'

2. After the client confirms the booking and authorises me to proceed and arrange for the tickets to be issued a confirmation is issued with the details as in 1) above with the advice that they have until the end of the working day to let us know if anything needs correcting as we can 'void' the ticket if necessary for a nominal fee charged by the airline.

3. Electronic ticket issued with the name details as in 1) above.

The number of times I get the cry 'ooh the name is spelt wrong' or the 'flight details are wrong' the day before travel, when we issued documents weeks earlier. We then work to resolve the issue, but the client does not necessarily get compensation for their inability to check details we have taken the time to notify them of.

Now I know that RCI send out documents for you to check all details are correct.

No sympathy from me I'm afraid.

Edited by peteukmcr