Go Stupid, Stupid-er, Stupid-est. My offer to you...

Bruin Steve

Take a look at the 10Q page 29. Ticket revenue is down and on board spending per passenger cruise day (using passenger cruise days, not APCD) is up slightly compared to the same quarter last year.

ticket 2015 159.26 2014 161.09

on board 2015 58.20 2014 58.11

Based on their programs I would have expected ticket to be up more and on board to be down more

Now depending upon how much you believe the constant currency figures they throw in (if the currency level were unchanged compared to last quarter). Those show ticket at 167.83 and on board at 59.55. Of course those represent calculated what if, not actual numbers.

Occupancy percentage is down at bit this year vs. last with current at 104.7% of 2 berth capacity vs 104.9% last year.

What is interesting is their cost reductions in onboard and other spend category. That dropped from 16.67 per passenger day last year to 15.54 this year. Even in constant dollars you have a drop from 16.67 to 16.18.

The only area with a greater reduction was fuel.

I have yet to go thru the 10Q. SO far I've just digested the published announcements and the investor call.

In the Q&A session after the investor call, one of the Bankers asked about how these numbers are presented. They basically said they are not accounting for cruise fare and onboard separation relative to advance purchase to any reliable extent, that they look at the total revenue as a whole. I wonder if their accountants are spinning heads trying to determine of a 123 fare or BBB fare, how much to allocate to Crusie Fare and how much to On board revenue. I have wondered this myself.

The nature of the question and reply, led me to believe they are struggling with the proper presentation, and took the easy answer, "we look to the total, not the individual line items."

I'd hope they clean this up to understand things better, but keeping it muddy, keeps the competition from understanding the dynamic of these pricing strategies.

But they did call out that people paying for internet has been a huge success, so that certainly has a lot to do with the onboard spend on its own.

I'd expect capacity to be down a bit, as they have been talking of how soft the Caribbean was overall. I assumed with their good spin, it was up, maybe it was just better (not as bad) than they had forecast.

Seems they are not doing that well with the roll out.

From what factors do you draw this conclusion? All the talk on investor call was it IS working, they have the largest amount of advanced bookings in the company history.

I'm confused by the original post because it must be directed at those who have sailed many times on Celebrity and receive perks that others don't or must have been misread by the original poster.

The offer on the website is: Go Big and 1 of the 4 is included (including tips) at NO CHARGE. The Go Better upgrade is choose 2 for $105 pp ($210), and

Go Best ( $315 x 2 = $630) and ALL 4 are included.

Even if you don't choose to upgrade, you get ONE FREE. If you Go Better and choose two options, (the internet and beverage packages i.e.) would be a lot more than $210 I'm guessing, and if you choose the $150 PER PERSON OBC you already come out ahead. So for an additional $210 you can get $300 in OBC + one more choice. That's at least $90 before you even make a second choice. How crappy is that?

Am I missing something?

I'm confused by the original post because it must be directed at those who have sailed many times on Celebrity and receive perks that others don't or must have been misread by the original poster.

The offer on the website is: Go Big and 1 of the 4 is included (including tips) at NO CHARGE. The Go Better upgrade is choose 2 for $105 pp ($210), and

Even if you don't choose to upgrade, you get ONE FREE. If you Go Better and choose two options, (the internet and beverage packages i.e.) would be a lot more than $210 I'm guessing, and if you choose the $150 PER PERSON OBC you already come out ahead. So for an additional $210 you can get $300 in OBC + one more choice. That's at least $90 before you even make a second choice. How crappy is that?

Am I missing something?

One thing you're missing is that if you're on a 14 day cruise you are paying $420 for $300 in OBC, or even on the seven-day cruise you're paying $15 a day for gratuities that are $12.95 a day. The other thing is that it appears that the base prices of cruises have risen in order to cover even the go big offer. On a cruise that I'm looking at, the senior rate is $300 less per person than the go big rate. Since I don't care about the drink package, I'm much better off taking the lower rate, and then I qualify for the shareholder benefit of $250.

One thing you're missing is that if you're on a 14 day cruise you are paying $420 for $300 in OBC, or even on the seven-day cruise you're paying $15 a day for gratuities that are $12.95 a day. The other thing is that it appears that the base prices of cruises have risen in order to cover even the go big offer. On a cruise that I'm looking at, the senior rate is $300 less per person than the go big rate. Since I don't care about the drink package, I'm much better off taking the lower rate, and then I qualify for the shareholder benefit of $250.

Now when I was looking at it, was I right in determine that if one does want the unlimited package, then the go best DOES make sense?

I priced a couple out, and did find that the longer ones made little sense, but as I do use internet, I was ahead by a couple hundred bucks with that as an included perk.

Seems for Go Best to make any sense one must see value in the Premium beverage package and unlimited internet portions. If those are not meaningful to the individual, then better and best are out of the question.

We're not on a 14 day, not seniors, not shareholders, or even multiple time Celebrity cruisers. We know prices will vary and unfortunately Celebrity is not sharing what the "prices used to be." No business that wants to stay in business would only cater to repeat customers. This is obviously aimed at new business, or those who value internet and beverage pkgs like we do, but can see how it would not work for those with other benefits.

Edited by MisterMet

We're not on a 14 day, not seniors, not shareholders, or even multiple time Celebrity cruisers. We know prices will vary and unfortunately Celebrity is not sharing what the "prices used to be." No business that wants to stay in business would only cater to repeat customers. This is obviously aimed at new business, but can see how it would not work for those with other benefits.

There are websites that allow you to see historical pricing and when prices changed, so you can interpret the cost of perks on fares as they come and go.

I use one almost daily to monitor cruises.

Cle-guy,

Could you forward some websites for the cruise fare histories? Would definitely be interested in viewing them. Thanks. BTW, still wondering why the OP would still want to cruise with a company that continually seems to be fleecing its customers?:confused:

Cle-guy,

Could you forward some websites for the cruise fare histories? Would definitely be interested in viewing them. Thanks. BTW, still wondering why the OP would still want to cruise with a company that continually seems to be fleecing its customers?:confused:

Can't name them here per Crusie Critic rules.

Edited by cle-guy

I don't believe the shareholder benefit is combinable with the senior rate.

I don't believe the shareholder benefit is combinable with the senior rate.

Over the last five years of cruising with Celebrity, I have received the shareholder benefit on at LEAST one (or more) of EACH of... a military rate, an over 55 rate, a Tuesday Special rate, and a group rate. :cool:

I am fairly certain that there other posters on this thread who will verify this fact.

still wondering why the OP would still want to cruise with a company that continually seems to be fleecing its customers?:confused:

*I* think it would be better for their LONG TERM business to offer "reasonable" fares to all customers at all times, rather than fleecing some, while others get incredible deals. But then, I'm not the CEO... or even Head of marketing, and it's obvious that they trust their bookings history more than my opinion. :o

As one who shops for, and benefits from those incredible deals, I am not about to shoot myself in the foot simply because others don't have the flexibility I have, or can't/won't take the time to shop for those deals. :o

Edited by teecee60

From what factors do you draw this conclusion? All the talk on investor call was it IS working, they have the largest amount of advanced bookings in the company history.

But are those record numbers of advanced bookings from the highly successful 1,2,3 go with it's better deals and more options or from the SSS(BBB) that we are discussing here.

Am I missing something?

What you're missing is that nothing is ever free. The one perk you get with Go Big is built into the price.

We're not on a 14 day, not seniors, not shareholders, or even multiple time Celebrity cruisers. We know prices will vary and unfortunately Celebrity is not sharing what the "prices used to be." No business that wants to stay in business would only cater to repeat customers. This is obviously aimed at new business, or those who value internet and beverage pkgs like we do, but can see how it would not work for those with other benefits.

The go big works for me by choosing the drink package. The drinks on Celebrity in my experiences are over priced compared to the other lines and then there is the 18% gratuity on top of the price. Even if I only drank soft drinks and coffee which I don't it's still the best option for me. Until the internet is capable of streaming movies and music or connecting to face time I'll stick with the basic $50 package. It's more than enough for what we need and last time the connection was so bad we couldn't even use all of the minutes we paid for.

I just cancelled my Alaska cruise on RCCL and switched to Celebrity. Why you may ask, because of the BBB pricing.

By switching to Celebrity, and taking advantage of the BBB pricing, I saved $30 off of my cruise fair, plus receiving $150 OBC, for 2 people that is a savings of $360 dollars. Plus I get the Premium alcohol Drink package (I had been planning to order the basic alcohol package on Royal, and did figure that into the cost of the cruise), and unlimited internet (which I will seldom use). For me, it was a good deal.

I know that I paid for the perks, I get that, nothing is free. But for me, the package was a better deal then the one I was getting on RCCL. I would not have been able to get upgraded alcohol package, tips, $150 OBC, and unlimited internet for $315. The bottom line is that the base price of the room on Celebrity Solstice was cheaper then the base line of the room on Royal Caribbean's Explore of the Seas. I should not that I purchased the Explorer cruise on Royal Caribbeans 30,30, 30 sale.

Edited by sleepless

Can you use the OBC toward gratuities?

yes unless you prepay gratuities or dine Select (which requires prepayment of Gratuities), in which case these can not be modified as they do not show on your onboard account, as they were on your pre-sailing invoice and paid off the ship.

I booked during 123Go for a 7-day Caribbean cruise in Jan 2016 on Aqua Class, and here is what I got:

123Go - $1,699/person

- Classic Drink Package

- Free Gratuities

- $300 on-board credit

Here is what I got with the new BBB promo:

Go! Best - $1,764/person

- Premium Drink Package

- Free Gratuities

- $150/person on-board credit ($300 for two people)

- Free Unlimited Internet

So the difference was ~$65 per person more. However, I was going to upgrade to the premium drink package anyway, which would have cost $90/person when on the ship, so for me it made sense to book it now for cheaper and get free unlimited internet to boot.

I booked during 123Go for a 7-day Caribbean cruise in Jan 2016 on Aqua Class, and here is what I got:

123Go - $1,699/person

- Classic Drink Package

- Free Gratuities

- $300 on-board credit

Go! Best - $1,764/person

- Premium Drink Package

- Free Gratuities

So the difference was ~$65 per person more. However, I was going to upgrade to the premium drink package anyway, which would have cost $90/person when on the ship, so for me it made sense to book it now for cheaper and get free unlimited internet to boot.

Hey, welcome to Cruise Critic!!!.

Yes, you certainly have to do the math to find out what suits you best.

123Go - $1,699/person

- Classic Drink Package

- Free Gratuities

- $300 on-board credit

Go! Best - $1,764/person

- Premium Drink Package

- Free Gratuities

In this case it makes more sense. What is not being considered is that the supply/demand dynamics of your cruise have changed over the period from when you booked 123 and now. It is a better deal for you. Does not prove or disprove that the new program is more expensive.

Glad you made out better!

In this case it makes more sense. What is not being considered is that the supply/demand dynamics of your cruise have changed over the period from when you booked 123 and now. It is a better deal for you. Does not prove or disprove that the new program is more expensive.

Glad you made out better!

I think the point of my post is that we can complain about promotions and what doesn't work for some may work for others. People need to relax a bit.