American Credit Card Issues in Australia?

Kartgv

Yes ,we are aware that merchants will find a way to use with visa .Master cards from the USA . For if they don't they can actually violate the Credit card banks agreement between them & the bank .We were told this by visa .

What is the concern for American travelers/tourists to other countries is the anxiety of not knowing whether they will experience problems & only local currency would be accepted . It is a legitimate concern & this is why we were going into our Wells Fargo Bank branch for extra Australian dollars ,when we found out that the Wells Fargo /American Express credit card had a chip & pin # :).Now ,we seem to be back to where we were because of the charges that American Express levies on vendors in other countries . Aside from the higher charges to vendors ,American Express ,imo, gives the best credit card service of any credit card company & we have been loyal to them for 18 years .

We will carry that new American Express CC & our Visa Chip & signature credit card along with our cash ATM cards ,for back up . We are careful to only carry visa or master card credit cards that carry no exchange rate fees .We are carrying $200 Australian dollars into Australia

for our 6 days in Sydney .the first experience using one of our credit cards will be paying for a Sydney taxi to our hotel .

We are happy that Australians speak English ;which makes communications much easier:D .Although we found that traveling the major cities of the world Englsh is very well understood:)

I get what you are saying, but the bottom line is that amex is not widely accepted here anymore, hence you will have to go with the flow. A case of 'When in Rome....'

It is smart to always take a backup card/cash when travelling, which is exactly what you are doing. It is your choice whether you wish to use your amex (where possible) and pay extra for that. Perhaps you could consider that extra fee as a tip:D (No tipping downunder in most places). Rules are rules. Try to look on the other side of things....you are coming downunder at a time when your dollar is worth more....take advantage of this and enjoy your stay!

On a lighter note, I am pleased you are happy we speak English:D but like any other city in the world, you may come across a few that don't, or struggle to do so.

We welcome you with open arms, knowing that you will return home with great memories. Relax, enjoy our country, and bring your backup cards:)

I suggest you use some of that Aussie cash to pay the taxi driver in Sydney. As someone else said, they used to charge 10% extra for using any credit card, but the government wasn't happy. Before handing over your credit card you could ask what the extra fee would be. Expect 5% surcharge.

As someone else said, we don't usually tip in Australia. With a taxi driver, we would 'round-up' the fare if we were travelling with luggage. For instance - if the fare is $52, we would give the driver $55. Of course, once he hears your accent, he will probably expect a tip. :D

Australians speak Australian English, which is different to any other form of English. Many Americans have trouble understanding some common use everyday words that we use.

As an example, when I lived in the Philippines most of my American friends didn't have a clue what the word "Fortnight" meant until it was explained to them, and if Aussie friends and I started to use full on slang they completely lost track of the conversation.

Australians speak Australian English, which is different to any other form of English. Many Americans have trouble understanding some common use everyday words that we use.

As an example, when I lived in the Philippines most of my American friends didn't have a clue what the word "Fortnight" meant until it was explained to them, and if Aussie friends and I started to use full on slang they completely lost track of the conversation.

Funniest one was a Canadian CD on X who was really confused about the coffee shop she had been asked to go to when someone said to her:

"Let's meet at Maccas for tea". She had no idea how she should dress for a "Tea House" or if she'd be able to get a coffee instead.

We did try and explain it to her not sure if she got there or not.

There was also one entertainer, Princess this time, who kept talking about girls in Budgie Smugglers, that one took some explaining without getting too technical, eventually she grasped that girls don't have budgies (or at least the ones I hang with).

Mate and me often descend into rhyming slang just to confuse them.

Australian English is rather unique. When Australian TV programmes are shown in NZ now ,they have sub titles . :eek:

Yes ,we are aware that merchants will find a way to use with visa .Master cards from the USA . For if they don't they can actually violate the Credit card banks agreement between them & the bank .We were told this by visa .;)

What is the concern for American travelers/tourists to other countries is the anxiety of not knowing whether they will experience problems & only local currency would be accepted ;). It is a legitimate concern & this is why we were going into our Wells Fargo Bank branch for extra Australian dollars ,when we found out that the Wells Fargo /American Express credit card had a chip & pin # :).Now ,we seem to be back to where we were because of the charges that American Express levies on vendors in other countries . Aside from the higher charges to vendors ,American Express ,imo, gives the best credit card service of any credit card company & we have been loyal to them for 18 years .

We will carry that new American Express CC & our Visa Chip & signature credit card along with our cash ATM cards ,for back up ;). We are careful to only carry visa or master card credit cards that carry no exchange rate fees .

We use both Amex and Visa wherever we travel in the world. We try to use our Amex when we can, but know there are many places it is either not accepted or they put on a surcharge for use. That is why we have our Visa for back-up. We were in Rome then did a mediterranean cruise in July and on many occasions had to use our Visa instead.

When we need to use our card we just ask if they accept Amex. If they don't it is no problem at all to pull out the Visa instead. We find it is easier to just go with the flow. It has nothing to do with Australian businesses accepting tourist dollars or not as I am a local. It is all to do with some small businesses finding it hard to absorb certain bank fees into their overall profitability.

Julie

Have a great trip. Friends of ours from Atlanta visited Australia last December and they never mentioned any problems with the credit cards. Your luckier then they were as your exchange rate will be much better then theirs was :).

Thats right ..:D . When in Australia you have to ask for Feesh and Cheeps ..:rolleyes:

When we were in Kaikoura, NZ two years ago we did a helicopter flight. We flew over a small cafe and on the roof they had painted "Fush and Chups" :D.

It still gives me a laugh when I think of it.

Julie

Australian English is rather unique. When Australian TV programmes are shown in NZ now ,they have sub titles . :eek:

Haha, the same happens on NZ shows here. We get a lot of the boarder patrol and police reality shows, and they sometimes have to subtitle people, usually the "locals" :P

Recently saw Crockadile Dundee movie , learned the Australian English lingo. :D

Your references to fish & Chips is hilarious:p:p:p

Nobody here speaks like Crocodile Dundee, that was a movie made purely for Americans who want to think we all live in the bush and drink Fosters lol. Urgh, that man was responsible for the horrid saying "shrimp on the Barbie", we don't even call them shrimp, they're prawns!

Nobody here speaks like Crocodile Dundee, that was a movie made purely for Americans who want to think we all live in the bush and drink Fosters lol. Urgh, that man was responsible for the horrid saying "shrimp on the Barbie", we don't even call them shrimp, they're prawns!

Not Shrimp

and no one I know drinks Fosters as a first choice.

Used to work with a beer carrier, usually about 6 cartons of Fosters on the whole truck.

That commercial was made for American audiences, so therefore he used the word "shrimp". They would have really been puzzled if he said "prawns".:)

That commercial was made for American audiences, so therefore he used the word "shrimp". They would have really been puzzled if he said "prawns".:)

Agreed, was actually a tourism campaign for the US, so not even made for airing here or elsewhere.

Just like those other differences where we have different words for the same thing.

Not sure we can blames Hoges for that.

It would have been written by some long haired:D, BMW driving :p, pot smoking :eek: ad agency dude.

Recently saw Crockadile Dundee movie , learned the Australian English lingo. :D

Your references to fish & Chips is hilarious:p:p:p

Just be warned: if you hear an Aussie and Kiwi making fun of each other's accents do not attempt to join in the discussion - they'll both team up against you. ;)

Just be warned: if you hear an Aussie and Kiwi making fun of each other's accents do not attempt to join in the discussion - they'll both team up against you. ;)

Too right, it's sibling like, I can say whatever I want about stupid Kiwis, they can say what they like about Aussies (no one takes offence as a rule) let a Pom or a Yank say the same thing and it's war ANZACs v the Rest.

So true....we can pull each other apart but don't pick on a brother :rolleyes:

When we were in Kaikoura, NZ two years ago we did a helicopter flight. We flew over a small cafe and on the roof they had painted "Fush and Chups" :D.

It still gives me a laugh when I think of it.

Julie

Julie that is cute & I can just imagine us seeing that & break out in uncontrol laughter :D:p:D