"Some amazing changes coming to Celebrity fleet" announcement mid-week this week!

days@sea

We had an aqua class deck 11 aft on our cruise in May. We never heard a sound from the movies inside or on our balcony. My husband loves to watch the outside movies on a cruise so he will be thrilled when we cruise again in May on the Summit in our aft cabin. Maybe no one else will want these cabins so our price will go down.

Laura

You never heard a sound from the movies since they are not installed at this time. They are part of a renovation.

Does this mean Infinity will only be doing 'hot weather ' itineraries?

Can't imagine watching 'movies' outdoors in cold weather climes!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Can't see many pax would have wanted to be outside on our Iceland itinerary.

Well, imho, this is an awful idea for the specialty restaurants. Tuscan is an inferior venue (yes, I did dare to use that word) when compared to Normandie and SS United States. It's an obvious cost saving measure as it's much cheaper to run a Tuscan than a Murano-style restaurant. No more lobster prepared table side, no higher end cuts of meat, no soufflés, no cheese cart, no caviar for those who like that, no extra staff to do the table side preps, and lets face it, pasta dishes are a lot less expensive than what Normandie, et.al. offers. They're not doing this because there's a demand for Tuscan, they're doing it because Tuscan will save money, plain and simple.

If Normandie were profitable (or as profitable as Tuscan), It'd certainly remain. If Tuscan is more profitable, clearly it's more popular. If these restaurants were performing and drawing enough guests to make them work, they'd remain.

The difference in the cost of the food is going to be quite minimal in the scheme of things expense-wise for a company the size of RCL purchasing, and the staff costs are insignificant due to the wage scale. This leaves the big factor being the number of covers and amount of revenue brought in.

I have to assume they have found Tuscan is better utilized, likely due to slightly lower cost, and therefore consumer trends are demanding more Tuscan style dining that the formality of Normandie etc.

I will miss Normandie, don't get me wrong, but I also would eat at Tuscan 2 x for each 1 Normandie visit, so I am happy it's coming to Summit, a ship I seem to be on often, including the 1st cruise post-drydock (a charter).

I've had a few times where I couldn't get a seat in Tuscan, but Normandy/Murano/etc. type restaurant was half empty. That says something I think, considering the price is only $5 different.

So while Yes you could say it's a money grab, but it's also likely just as much a reaction to the demand for Tuscan versus the formality of Normandie.

You never heard a sound from the movies since they are not installed at this time. They are part of a renovation.

M class ships have been doing a night or 2 of outdo movies for a year or so now (another poster posted a picture even). It was on my Connie T! this spring for sure, and on Summit last summer in Bermuda.

Well, imho, this is an awful idea for the specialty restaurants. Tuscan is an inferior venue (yes, I did dare to use that word) when compared to Normandie and SS United States. It's an obvious cost saving measure as it's much cheaper to run a Tuscan than a Murano-style restaurant. No more lobster prepared table side, no higher end cuts of meat, no soufflés, no cheese cart, no caviar for those who like that, no extra staff to do the table side preps, and lets face it, pasta dishes are a lot less expensive than what Normandie, et.al. offers. They're not doing this because there's a demand for Tuscan, they're doing it because Tuscan will save money, plain and simple.

Personally, I think Ms Lisa Lutoff-Perlo is taking the line in the wrong direction, starting with the ridiculous BBB pricing insanity and now with the change in the two M Class ships. Bean counters rule.

I'm wondering about how bookings are going, in light of the cruises my family has been offered with the Blue Chip Club. In years past, we've never been offered holiday cruises as part of the Club. But now, in their most recent offering, they're offering us holiday cruises for free. One can only surmise that bookings are soft.

I agree it's an awful idea to get rid of the original M Class Speciality Restaurants. Celebrity is truly moving in a direction that I'm not sure I like at all.

It's pretty obvious that after the trial run on Summit they think the MUTS was successful, or they wouldn't be making it permanent The price of super high resolution (6mm or smaller) Outdoor LED screens has come down SO much it should be beautiful out there in what was a pretty wasted space.

I wonder what the food offerings will be like on the terrace?

My only concern would be the staff who ends up working up there for months on end and the impact of those two huge antennas. No doubt there is some serious radiation emitted from those. No big deal over the short term, but over time...who knows.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Personally, I think Ms Lisa Lutoff-Perlo is taking the line in the wrong direction, starting with the ridiculous BBB pricing insanity and now with the change in the two M Class ships. Bean counters rule.

I'm wondering about how bookings are going, in light of the cruises my family has been offered with the Blue Chip Club. In years past, we've never been offered holiday cruises as part of the Club. But now, in their most recent offering, they're offering us holiday cruises for free. One can only surmise that bookings are soft.

While I wouldn't say the Tuscan experience is inferior, it definitely is different than Normandie or SS United States. And as you note, will be less expensive for Celebrity to run. As a result, score one for the bean counters, & the stockholders who are looking for long term value of the stock. I'm sure they will say this is an amazing enhancement.

M class ships have been doing a night or 2 of outdo movies for a year or so now (another poster posted a picture even). It was on my Connie T! this spring for sure, and on Summit last summer in Bermuda.

I've been on Connie at least 6 times in the last year and have never seen a movie outdoors.

Another poster said what you have said, so I believe they have indeed showed outdoor movies, just not on my cruises.

If Normandie were profitable (or as profitable as Tuscan), It'd certainly remain. If Tuscan is more profitable, clearly it's more popular. If these restaurants were performing and drawing enough guests to make them work, they'd remain.

The difference in the cost of the food is going to be quite minimal in the scheme of things expense-wise for a company the size of RCL purchasing, and the staff costs are insignificant due to the wage scale. This leaves the big factor being the number of covers and amount of revenue brought in.

I have to assume they have found Tuscan is better utilized, likely due to slightly lower cost, and therefore consumer trends are demanding more Tuscan style dining that the formality of Normandie etc.

I will miss Normandie, don't get me wrong, but I also would eat at Tuscan 2 x for each 1 Normandie visit, so I am happy it's coming to Summit, a ship I seem to be on often, including the 1st cruise post-drydock (a charter).

I've had a few times where I couldn't get a seat in Tuscan, but Normandy/Murano/etc. type restaurant was half empty. That says something I think, considering the price is only $5 different.

So while Yes you could say it's a money grab, but it's also likely just as much a reaction to the demand for Tuscan versus the formality of Normandie.

The Bisteca Tartare and Filetto di Manzo Rustico in Tuscan on the Reflection & Equinox were simply outstanding. Murano was great also, but that filet!

We stopped sailing on Princess because of the Movies Under The Stars which also shows movies, concerts and sport during the day. Who can forget the Tina Turner concert played on every Princess cruise we have been on. The noise is horrendous and makes sitting anywhere near these screens an impossible experience unless you are actually watching. On Princess the Movies are shown in the main pool area so it makes sitting around the nicest pool not possible.

The noise from the movies carries down to the balconies of state rooms underneath the deck, and not just the one immediately underneath. It is so loud that depending on wind direction it can be heard a long, long way from the screen itself.

Shame. Really sorry to hear this news from Celebrity. They may start off just showing movies at night, but I doubt if they will keep to that.

I thought "X" was going upscale "Edge" instead it looks like they're "Princessing" these ships

I had similar thought when I read about the movie screens. I have read a number of comments from folks who were unhappy with the BBB pricing model and said they were looking at other cruise lines. The one mentioned most often was Princess. So, did the powers that be decide that by offering things Princess has, folks wouldn't "jump ship"? Do they ever survey frequent cruisers about improvements/changes they would like or does marketing just think they know best. I have only ever received the comment cards and post cruise surveys; not anything about changes I would like or not like.

I am one of those retired bean counters (not in the cruise industry) and I was aways amazed at how upper management solution to soooo many things was simply to throw money at it without looking at the ramifications. I used to say that a CEO, with whomI once worked, approach to the company was "if it isn't broken, fix it until it is." I am beginning to think that about Celebrity's decision makers.

We stopped sailing on Princess because of the Movies Under The Stars which also shows movies, concerts and sport during the day. Who can forget the Tina Turner concert played on every Princess cruise we have been on. The noise is horrendous and makes sitting anywhere near these screens an impossible experience unless you are actually watching. On Princess the Movies are shown in the main pool area so it makes sitting around the nicest pool not possible.

The noise from the movies carries down to the balconies of state rooms underneath the deck, and not just the one immediately underneath. It is so loud that depending on wind direction it can be heard a long, long way from the screen itself.

Shame. Really sorry to hear this news from Celebrity. They may start off just showing movies at night, but I doubt if they will keep to that.

Remember, this is nowhere near the pool. It is two decks up, and all the way aft. It may impact the cabins underneath, there have been mixed opinions of that from those that sailed in them, and I have heard the movies from adjacent ships, but it has never been disrupting.

For me, I am a bit ambivalent regarding MUTS but love the look of the space.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sorry cld-guy, I disagree. You have to look at a number of issues when you talk profitability, but the biggest one is how much does it cost to run a venue. It's obvious that Tuscan costs a whole lot less than a Murano-style venue. It's a lot cheaper to make pasta, and offer inferior cuts of meat than it is to offer the higher end items of a Murano-type restaurant. And you don't need as many employees in a Tuscan because there are no table side preps in Tuscan, save for one salad.

The Bisteca Tartare and Filetto di Manzo Rustico in Tuscan on the Reflection & Equinox were simply outstanding. Murano was great also, but that filet!

You're lucky because our last two cruises when we went to Tuscan the steaks were awful, very tough and fatty, not lean at all.

Again, on our last two cruises, people were turned away at Murano/Normandie and Tuscan on Equinox had many empty tables.

Well, at least they didn't turn it into the Asian venue. Now that's a really unfortunate restaurant, imho.

Sorry cld-guy, I disagree. You have to look at a number of issues when you talk profitability, but the biggest one is how much does it cost to run a venue. It's obvious that Tuscan costs a whole lot less than a Murano-style venue. It's a lot cheaper to make pasta, and offer inferior cuts of meat than it is to offer the higher end items of a Murano-type restaurant. And you don't need as many employees in a Tuscan because there are no table side preps in Tuscan, save for one salad.

Disagree all you'd like, but if it was profitable, and people were banging down the door to dine there, they'd make it work and keep it open. What motivation would they have to close a more profitable, more popular venue for a less profitable one?

:rolleyes:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It's obvious that Tuscan costs a whole lot less than a Murano-style venue. It's a lot cheaper to make pasta, and offer inferior cuts of meat than it is to offer the higher end items of a Murano-type restaurant. And you don't need as many employees in a Tuscan because there are no table side preps in Tuscan, save for one salad.

My cheese course alone would cost them more than my entree.

We had an aqua class deck 11 aft on our cruise in May. We never heard a sound from the movies inside or on our balcony. My husband loves to watch the outside movies on a cruise so he will be thrilled when we cruise again in May on the Summit in our aft cabin. Maybe no one else will want these cabins so our price will go down.

Laura

Were you on the balcony when they were actually playing a movie? In port, nice evening, between 9 to 11pm plus or minus 1/2 an hour.:confused:

They didn't have any when it rained nor when underway.

FWIW we were in 1122 and even with the sliding door closed it was audible. At the mast bar you could follow the plot.

Edited by A Sixth?

You're lucky because our last two cruises when we went to Tuscan the steaks were awful, very tough and fatty, not lean at all.

Again, on our last two cruises, people were turned away at Murano/Normandie and Tuscan on Equinox had many empty tables.

Well, at least they didn't turn it into the Asian venue. Now that's a really unfortunate restaurant, imho.

Well~~~~~~~we had a group of 12 go to Silk Harvest last Nov, and have 24 from the Roll Call booked for this Nov.

It was and amazing dinning adventure, even better than Qsine.

Now if they would only be rid of the Glass show and add the Lawn Club Grill!

I'm not a fan of Tuscan. The furnishings are beautiful, but the meals do not measure up.

I agree with Kitty9.

Really depends on the protein used and whose doing the cooking. I've had some wonderful meals in Tuscan Grille and some that were barely passable. I have found the Onion soup inconsistent from ship to ship. They reduced the quality of the Ribeye when they changed to a smaller portion, but I understand they are now back to the larger steaks. I'll find out for myself soon.

My first impression of the proposed M class changes is negative, but I'll try it a few times before making a final judgment.

Edited by Orator