"Some amazing changes coming to Celebrity fleet" announcement mid-week this week!

days@sea

Sorry cld-guy, I disagree. You have to look at a number of issues when you talk profitability, but the biggest one is how much does it cost to run a venue. It's obvious that Tuscan costs a whole lot less than a Murano-style venue. It's a lot cheaper to make pasta, and offer inferior cuts of meat than it is to offer the higher end items of a Murano-type restaurant. And you don't need as many employees in a Tuscan because there are no table side preps in Tuscan, save for one salad.

what extra costs does Murano/Normandie/SS US have really.

• The cost to launder linens is insignificant, they have hundreds of people running laundry.
  • Fixtures are pricey, but any restaurant has those.
  • Staffing, there are more people there, but as service staff work most exclusively from our tips, it isn't costing X anything except for a few extra berths in the crew areas, which wouldn't be used for antything else.
  • The cost of the food items will be a bit more, but lets break that down even, Lobster, is still in Tuscan, just different preparation so it won't make a difference.
  • The souffles, nothing expensive about making those, a few eggs and cheese really.
  • Making the pasta takes time from staff to do, and THIS Staff is not tipped, so THAT is costing something.
  • I do not know how much venison is to buy to compare to a ribeye steak or filet mignon price
  • Fish is cheap

Not being argumentative, just really looking for information and an honest discussion. I'm pulling from my days managing Marriott hotels.

Really depends on the protein used and whose doing the cooking. I've had some wonderful meals in Tuscan Grille and some that were barely passable. I have found the Onion soup inconsistent from ship to ship. They reduced the quality of the Ribeye when they changed to a smaller portion, but I understand they are now back to the larger steaks. I'll find out for myself soon.

The operative word is "inconsistent". Celebrity must find a method to maintain consistency throughout the fleet.

Looking at the rendering of the new outdoor space, the area looks a bit smaller than the typical Princess MUTS area (based on the one experience I've had). I would think then the volume would not have to be as loud so the sound wouldn't carry as much to the cabins below. Well-placed speakers around the terrace could also minimize any sound leaking to other areas.

I'm meh about the movies themselves, but love the look of the new space. The screen would make an awesome bingo masterboard. ;)

The operative word is "inconsistent". Celebrity must find a method to maintain consistency throughout the fleet.

this I agree with. I've mentioned it in surveys a few times.

Certain things should be identical fleet wide, while allowing for unique character and flair, like major hotel chains do. You should count on certain things always, and then there are a few surprises.

------Now if they would only be rid of the Glass show and add the Lawn Club Grill!

We are talking of changes to 'M' class ships.

Glass show is on some 'S' class ships (Eclipse amongst others)and The Lawn Club on Reflection.

there are about to be two cancellations (28 day b2b's) on deck 11 A1 cabins....too bad, it was a great quiet deck while it lasted. Now it's probably the worst place to have a cabin unless you are a late night person. Perhaps Celebrity should consider repricing the deck 11 cabins to be less than the deck 9 A2's.....

Edited by ghstudio

there are about to be two cancellations (28 day b2b's) on deck 11 A1 cabins....too bad, it was a great quiet deck while it lasted. Now it's probably the worst place to have a cabin unless you are a late night person. Perhaps Celebrity should consider repricing the deck 11 cabins to be less than the deck 9 A2's.....

True-dat :(

Is this the MAJOR Announcement:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6576

Very disappointing announcement. I do not like the Tuscan Grille's food and level of service. I usually eat in a specialty venue each night, that will not happen with Tuscan Grille.

I have a Fall Colors cruise booked on Summit next September, looking at my Princess and Royal options now.

BILL

Looking at the rendering of the new outdoor space, the area looks a bit smaller than the typical Princess MUTS area (based on the one experience I've had). I would think then the volume would not have to be as loud so the sound wouldn't carry as much to the cabins below. Well-placed speakers around the terrace could also minimize any sound leaking to other areas.

While it's, of course, not known yet, we are talking about the cruise line that hiked the volume of music throughout the ship to appeal to it's new or at least desired passenger demographic. It's pretty unlikely that they'll tame the volume at all in the new venue....I wonder how it will effect other than deck 11 cabins.

I don't mind the change...change is inevitable and on this one, we have enough advance notice to adjust plans, if desired. In our case, it will change our celebrity cruising to either booking A2 cabins on M-class ships (there are a few that aren't noisy from above) or just sticking with the S class ships....we do like Blu so we like to book aqua.

Edited by ghstudio

Are you sure it's above the AQ cabins on deck 12? Those "golf balls" in the background suggest it is forward on deck 12 above the observation lounge.

Phil

Nope, the "golf balls" are aft. It appears that the Rooftop Terrace will be between the four balls. Those four large white blobs won't add to the ambiance of the place, that's for sure.

37221.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

Very disappointing announcement. I do not like the Tuscan Grille's food and level of service. I usually eat in a specialty venue each night, that will not happen with Tuscan Grille.

I have a Fall Colors cruise booked on Summit next September, looking at my Princess and Royal options now.

BILL

Wow I thought for sure Lisa would have reviewed my thread before making these changes.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2244051&highlight=silhouette

I guess what Celebrity thinks is "exciting and amazing" is quite different

from what many of us think.....:rolleyes::eek::(.......my last meal

in Normandie will be next month. I wasn't even sure I was going to

dine there but now I will......

Anyone know who the Maitre'd is on the Silhouette?

Hi, I tried helping you on your other thread....there is more than 1

Maitr'd. There are several of them who over see different sections

of the dining room.

Since SS United States and Normandie are basically the M-class equivalent of Murano's, what does this mean down the road for Murano's on S-class?

Hi Beav, who know?:confused: