"Some amazing changes coming to Celebrity fleet" announcement mid-week this week!

days@sea

Good Evening All!

The wifester and I had been out and about shopping for the dogs. Any word on what the big news is yet?

Still nothing yet. But the rumor mill is running full speed. We've gone from restaurant changes to several posters thinking a tech company's press release was the actual Celebrity release....

......as well as plenty of jabs at the OP's use of the word "amazing" (a.k.a.Me). It was straight from Celebrity, not from me. It seems I'm also personally responsible for the mid-week ending at a certain time on Wednesday, when others consider Tuesday-to-Thursday mid-week. LOL.

Regardless, I posted thinking there might be a little excitement... but apparently it's not that kind of thread. Maybe there will be a less than exciting announcement, or maybe it will be something actually exciting, who knows.

Edited by days@sea
grammar

Not sure why nobody else has picked up on this... Joe Farcus is coming out of retirement and is going to do a "Farcusize" on the M class of ships.(kind of like Solticeize but more emphasis on the Farcus) So puts to rest your guess on Voom and new speciality dining I have it from a good source that Joe Fracus is coming to Celebrity.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

THAT is IT! LOL

Celebrity decided their ships needed more "Sparkle"....so they got the Queen of Glue gunning and glitter to spread shiny all over their ships. HAHA!

Hopefully the announcement will be a return to Baltimore departures because after 3 New Jersey departures, I've decided I'd rather spend $1000 on airfare, schlepp my kids and wife thru airports, spend another $1000 on hotels so I can leave out of Florida.

Is $2000, plus 2 extra travel days worth it, just to avoid cruising out of NJ?

To me, yes. I just can't be surrounded by the rudeness. Done it 3 times and I get a yucky feeling by the 2nd night of the cruise.

My last cruise was out of NJ on Royal Carib - - and after I got to know the Concierge he told me how the staff hates NJ cruises because of the rude pax. That same cruise, a Filipino bartender told me the same exact thing - and he actually had some logical reasons as to why that is.

Please Celebrity, Baltimore. The good ol days with Mercury were wonderful.

3 years ago I made a business decision to invest in a NJ business. The only reason I did it is because NOBODY wanted to buy the place so I got it very cheap. (I refuse to live in NJ). My staff from our home-state came with me to work during the week in NJ and all 6 of them can't stand it anymore LOL.

So on vacation, no more NJ departures for me. I'd rather try Fallujah - may get killed but people will be nicer.

Hopefully the announcement will be a return to Baltimore departures

I thought I read somewhere along the way that the M class and S class ships are just too big to get under some sort of bridge that gets to the embarkation pier. Something about M class are OK by inches at certain tides only, and S class, just simply no way.

I've never been thru Bmore, so don't really know what bridge(s) they are talking about.

Nope, no Baltimore. Current Celebrity ships can't get under the bridge. Maybe a RCCL ship is in the cards.

Celebrity/RCL just built a new terminal out of Bayonne, so I'm thinking that port will be there for a while.

It's $15 a day on RCL - expecting it will be similar when role out, as RCL found HUGE takeup once cost came down. I've been at some Marriott hotels that charge $19.95 a day, so $15 isn't outrageous to me.

What about it makes it a lose to any of the cruisers? :confused:

Not everyone is willing to pay that amount or any amount., I won't stay at a hotel that I have to pay for internet and if forced to I just won't use it. On a cruise, I use my free internet to check my email from my daughter for an emergency. No desire or need to use internet.

Edited by dkjretired

Not everyone is willing to pay that amount or any amount., I won't stay at a hotel that I have to pay for internet and if forced to I just won't use it. On a cruise, I use my free internet to check my email from my daughter for an emergency. No desire or need to use internet.

Same here. I stay in hotels with free wi-fi. If they charge for it, I either don't stay there, or I do without. There are very few hotels that charge, so it isn't at all difficult to find one, even in foreign countries. And I only stay connected when I am on a business trip - not for vacation. I have no desire to use it on a cruise, either. When I take a vacation, it is to get away from the day-to-day issues of home. I have no desire to bring those issues along with me on vacation.

And I feel that way as a business owner. A sign of an effective owner/manager is the ability to train and groom support personnel to run the company in their absence. A manager who can't effectively delegate is a poor manager. When I travel on vacation, I have people back home who take care of the day to day issues that come up. Only in emergencies will they contact me, and they have avenues to do so without me having to be connected all the time.

Some people are addicted to being "connected", even when on vacation. I, on the other hand, am addicted to being "unplugged" on my vacations. :D

Edited by sloopsailor

Not sure why people are bragging about only staying in hotels with free wifi. You guys understand that pulling down internet connectivity in the middle of the ocean is a different technical proposition from plugging your Holiday Inn into the land-based grid, right?

I thought I read somewhere along the way that the M class and S class ships are just too big to get under some sort of bridge that gets to the embarkation pier. Something about M class are OK by inches at certain tides only, and S class, just simply no way.

I've never been thru Bmore, so don't really know what bridge(s) they are talking about.

The Lions Gate Bridge into downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada is a bit of an issue with S class. The radar on top is folded down to fit under. About a 10 minute endeavor to make this happen. Solstice visits Vancouver twice a year on the Asia-Hawaii run but does its Alaska route from Seattle.

The Lions Gate Bridge into downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada is a bit of an issue with S class. The radar on top is folded down to fit under. About a 10 minute endeavor to make this happen. Solstice visits Vancouver twice a year on the Asia-Hawaii run but does its Alaska route from Seattle.

I remember it was 2 years ago they modified the funnel on that one ship to fit under the bridge. I was under the impression it was actually a lot more than just folding an antenna down, but am not certain. It sounded like whatever is up top, all needed modified to come down some when they were discussing it 2 years back. But only Solstice in the S class has been modified for that bridge on X so far.

Not sure why nobody else has picked up on this... Joe Farcus is coming out of retirement and is going to do a "Farcusize" on the M class of ships.(kind of like Solticeize but more emphasis on the Farcus)

Eek! You made me laugh out loud! That would certainly be "amazing" but not in a good way.

Not sure why people are bragging about only staying in hotels with free wifi. You guys understand that pulling down internet connectivity in the middle of the ocean is a different technical proposition from plugging your Holiday Inn into the land-based grid, right?

Since I'm the one that brought that up, I am well aware, I was trying to make a point that had nothing to do with the ability to do it. I was trying to point out that when i am traveling whether on a cruise or on land, internet is not a big issue.

I guess all I'll say is that I don't insert myself into discussions and debates about, for example, what brands of liquor are available with the drinks packages and then loudly declare "I don't drink enough for this to affect me and I don't understand why some people can't seem to cruise without constant access to alcohol." Weirdly, I just don't have that compulsion despite the statement being factually true.

In short, the anti-tech judgement gets tiresome.

What would be a great announcement would be bringing back Michel Roux as the executive chef for the cruise line. When he was in charge MDR meals were equivalent or better in terms of service and food to any of Celebrity's current specialty restaurants.

And I feel that way as a business owner. A sign of an effective owner/manager is the ability to train and groom support personnel to run the company in their absence. A manager who can't effectively delegate is a poor manager. When I travel on vacation, I have people back home who take care of the day to day issues that come up. Only in emergencies will they contact me, and they have avenues to do so without me having to be connected all the time.

Different businesses have different set ups. In my case, I have 3 boutique retail stores, each with 3 near-minimum wage high school or college kids who staff them.

Then me and my business partner handle the business things.

I'm simply never going to allow a high school kid the authority to run a 9k bi-weekly payroll and process the taxes and direct deposits. Even if I can teach them the routine (which wouldn't be too hard really), kids gossip, it's just how it is, they will look at everyones pay rates which vary based on how long they've been with us and other factors, and a hornets nest soon ensures. That's what happens with minimum wage

I do allow them to prepare deposits and take them to the bank, as I can track that easily on line, and within a day know if something is wrong to discuss the issue or fire them for theft.

I certainly know all about delegating, it's how I managed to do all my work remotely, and thus my need for VOOM!, and in college, received the "King of Delegation" award while running the residence halls at The Ohio State University.

I'm all about delegating, but some things just are not intended to be handed by some people. A good business owner or manager knows what processes they must keep control of as well as those processes that can be delegated. If I had an office with an admin staff or secretary etc. that'd be a different matter of course, but I prefer to handle it myself than pay someone, that saves me a $25,000 annual salary....which is 3 or so extra cruises :D

Now once we add our 5th store, we do plan on an admin staff. But we are at least a year from the 5th store, the 4th coming in spring.

All about cost/benefit. Well worth it to me.

Hopefully the announcement will be a return to Baltimore departures because after 3 New Jersey departures, I've decided I'd rather spend $1000 on airfare, schlepp my kids and wife thru airports, spend another $1000 on hotels so I can leave out of Florida.

Is $2000, plus 2 extra travel days worth it, just to avoid cruising out of NJ?

To me, yes. I just can't be surrounded by the rudeness. Done it 3 times and I get a yucky feeling by the 2nd night of the cruise.

My last cruise was out of NJ on Royal Carib - - and after I got to know the Concierge he told me how the staff hates NJ cruises because of the rude pax. That same cruise, a Filipino bartender told me the same exact thing - and he actually had some logical reasons as to why that is.

3 years ago I made a business decision to invest in a NJ business. The only reason I did it is because NOBODY wanted to buy the place so I got it very cheap. (I refuse to live in NJ). My staff from our home-state came with me to work during the week in NJ and all 6 of them can't stand it anymore LOL.

So on vacation, no more NJ departures for me. I'd rather try Fallujah - may get killed but people will be nicer.

I haven't cruised out of NY/NJ yet but Baltimore ain't so great . It's a long way down the Chesapeake with a good chance of fog . There is a serious bridge clearance issue (Francis Scott Key Bridge I think). Finally the Baltimore crowds manners were nothing to be proud of . Three locals got excited during the comedians show on the Pride and started swearing and threatening him . It was one of several incidents on this cruise . Give me the NY/NJ crowd anytime . Rarely feel like I may be shived .:eek:

Joe Farcus and Celebrity- heaven forbid- big NO NO! The good guy should stay right in retirement and enjoy his well deserved free time! He made many many cruisers happy with his colorfull ships. Some say tacky- some say not- Cats love mice for dinner- I do not!

I guess that would be for a lot of folks. However, it doesn't do anything to "float my boat". When on a cruise, I want to get away from computers and websites, etc.

well, VOOM internet is FAST ... so you have to hold your seat when going fast....

If one relies on internet when traveling, an announcement about adding VOOM would be awesome. Also it's about 1/3 the cost of current X internet based on pricing on RCL ships. RCL charges $15 a day, X is at $54 or $59 per day unlimited with its current slow, often unreliable system. I find that amazing.

As far as I can see the OP passed on everything he knew. He wasn't privy to anything more than he has already said.

Time to just chill and see if an announcement is forthcoming.

Exactly!!!

Thank you

I guess all I'll say is that I don't insert myself into discussions and debates about, for example, what brands of liquor are available with the drinks packages and then loudly declare "I don't drink enough for this to affect me and I don't understand why some people can't seem to cruise without constant access to alcohol." Weirdly, I just don't have that compulsion despite the statement being factually true.

In short, the anti-tech judgement gets tiresome.

While I can understand that, I think that was more of a reaction to an association of that with the term "amazing" in the title (even though it's still speculation at this point).

Basically, it builds everyone's expectations, and hence anyone that doesn't find that "amazing" may well respond in kind. As you may well have if someone claimed that the addition of a brand of alcohol was "amazing"...

Just got this email from RCCL ???? BIG NEWS ???

At Royal Caribbean®, we've always done things differently. And now we're about to show the world what they've been missing. Register now for a big reveal and be the first to see what's coming.

A ROYAL REVEAL

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2015

Register now with your preferred time:

9:00 AM EST

12:00 PM EST

3:00 PM EST

???????????????

bosco

Edited by boscobeans