Celebrity just ruined my cruise leaving tomorrow

compman9

Celebrity are in a no win situation here.

Some people don't think Israel should be dropped because there there is no US travel advisory explicitly saying don't go. If Celebrity did go ahead and heaven forbid there was some sort of incident people would screaming "didn't you see what the UK travel advisory was saying"

So what would Celebrity do if the port they did go to had a passenger get injured by unexpected violence? A port they switched to rather than go to Israel.

In all seriousness, Celebrity is damned if they do and damned if they don't. However, I do think in these types of situations, they should allow a full refund for those who booked this cruise primarily for that cancelled port and wish to cancel and/or re-book. If this was a weather related issue, they have zero control over that and it totally understandable. In this case, I feel it's far more about CYA for them than passenger safety. Just my 2¢.

So what would Celebrity do if the port they did go to had a passenger get injured by unexpected violence? A port they switched to rather than go to Israel.

In all seriousness, Celebrity is damned if they do and damned if they don't. However, I do think in these types of situations, they should allow a full refund for those who booked this cruise primarily for that cancelled port and wish to cancel and/or re-book. If this was a weather related issue, they have zero control over that and it totally understandable. In this case, I feel it's far more about CYA for them than passenger safety. Just my 2¢.

So should they have a lie detector test to see who booked the cruise for each cancelled port?

So should they have a lie detector test to see who booked the cruise for each cancelled port?

Yeah..... :rolleyes:

Or, you know, allow people to cancel without penalty because the vacation they've planned is now not what they planned. These cruises are more expensive because of these specific ports, parts that are now cancelled.

currently incorrect w.r.t the UK

there is formal advice advising not to travel to parts of Israel

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/israel

The UK Travel advisories are very specific, if you are not familiar with them.

This one ONLY advises against travel to the following specific areas of Israel (none of which would likely be visited on any cruise tour):

--Gaza

--the Sheba’a Farms and Ghajjar and within 500m of the border with Lebanon (the ‘Blue Line’) east of Metula, including the northern edge of the town

--east of Route 98 along the Syrian border

It does not advise not visiting Israel -- which is what is needed to make whole most travelers from UK who have a specific type of travel insurance.

Edited by cruisemom42

Or those folks should know before hand, or should very carefully read the fine print before they buy the cruise so they would know no port, no matter how important, is guaranteed to happen. There are any number of causes that will force X to cancel a port.

Yeah..... :rolleyes:

Or, you know, allow people to cancel without penalty because the vacation they've planned is now not what they planned. These cruises are more expensive because of these specific ports, parts that are now cancelled.

That would mean, IMO, a little more if Israel was larger than a postage stamp. It isn't very far from those places to the places where the ships will stop.

The UK Travel advisories are very specific, if you are not familiar with them.

This one ONLY advises against travel to the following specific areas of Israel (none of which would likely be visited on any cruise tour):

--Gaza

--the Sheba’a Farms and Ghajjar and within 500m of the border with Lebanon (the ‘Blue Line’) east of Metula, including the northern edge of the town

--east of Route 98 along the Syrian border

It does not advise not visiting Israel -- which is what is needed to make whole most travelers from UK who have a specific type of travel insurance.

That would mean, IMO, a little more if Israel was larger than a postage stamp. It isn't very far from those places to the places where the ships will stop.

Yes, in some cases the port or major attractions are only a 10-20 miles from no go areas

We may think what we like about it, but as far as insurance goes, those are the rules as I understand it....

I think there should be a form you fill out ahead of time. If you pay more for a refundable fare, (like the higher fares airlines charge those who want more travel flexibility) and if the one port you feel you must see is then missed for any reason, you would be due a proportionate refund.

I think there should be a form you fill out ahead of time. If you pay more for a refundable fare, (like the higher fares airlines charge those who want more travel flexibility) and if the one port you feel you must see is then missed for any reason, you would be due a proportionate refund.

Yes that's what we need, a more complicated booking procedure and fare structure

I understand the contract and the argument of safety, but what if you miss 4 out of 9 port days that you originally expected (as is possible on the 10/23 Connie cruise ) do you then think it's fair to receive some compensation ? PS X already has saved one day of port charges giving us a sea day in lieu of a day in Istanbul. We still don't know if we will dock in Israel next week.

Edited by dabear

The cost for that refundable fare if Israel ports were on the itinerary would be extremely high.

Ports are missed for various reasons and sometimes they are cancelled after you board. On the Brilliance summer 2014 after we left Helsinki the Captain announced it was unlikely we would be able to dock in Stockholm because of winds and the pilot could not come out to get us. My dh really wanted to go to Stockholm but sometimes things happen. We missed Stockholm and Visby but went to Gothenburg, Sweden and oslo, norway instead and had a great time. Life happens. We've missed other ports due to weather and there is nothing you can do but go with the flow. I rely on the experience of the Capain and cruise line, they know more than I do. As for Israel, people being stabbed at bus stops sounds dangerous. And sometimes the line's insurer makes the decision.

While at the same time... "A bloody weekend of gun violence in New York City has left six people dead. In just 48 hours, 25 people across four boroughs were shot, CBS reports."

Which I guess is perfectly normal - or should cruise ships now stop calling at New York?

The different standards set by most on this forum baffles me. Any violence anywhere except the U.S. and we should ban the place.

No formal negative travel advice for Israel still from the U.S., UK or EU. Just suggestions to be cautious. The difference between the two is key... with a formal negative advice, in the EU, you get your money back... as happened with the Ukraine, Tunisia and Egypt.

There is a HUGE difference between deaths as a result of being in a city of multiple millions of people due to domestic violence, drug usage, robberies, and the like....and deaths due to terrorism and war.

I feel I can fairly protect myself from being killed in NYC or any large city, by being smart and careful, but I can do nothing to protect myself from random acts of terrorism and war.

We went to Israel and Egypt on a cruise two years ago and even then it was rather scary. Our tours had armed guards and in Jerusalem, on a walking tour, our Jewish guide (a lovely young man doing his best to tell the story with a Christian slant) was screamed at by a shop keeper for only giving "the Jewish side of the story" when telling us about the stations of the cross!! They nearly came to blows, but the men of our tour came between them and we pushed on and the shop keeper didn't pursue us. This incident was only a few seconds long, but it showed us clearly how volatile the region is and how dangerous it could be to visit now. I can only imagine how scary it would be now.

You should NEVER book simply because of the ports....the cruise contract states they can change, rearrange, or cancel any port, for any reason.

Really? Why do you think most Baltic cruises are booked? I'd venture to guess because of St. Petersburg. People book for the ports all the time.

Really? Why do you think most Baltic cruises are booked? I'd venture to guess because of St. Petersburg. People book for the ports all the time.

Yes, really. Just because people do it all the time, doesn't mean that it is the right or smart thing to do.

Edited by Demonyte

While at the same time... "A bloody weekend of gun violence in New York City has left six people dead. In just 48 hours, 25 people across four boroughs were shot, CBS reports."

Which I guess is perfectly normal - or should cruise ships now stop calling at New York?

The different standards set by most on this forum baffles me. Any violence anywhere except the U.S. and we should ban the place.

No formal negative travel advice for Israel still from the U.S., UK or EU. Just suggestions to be cautious. The difference between the two is key... with a formal negative advice, in the EU, you get your money back... as happened with the Ukraine, Tunisia and Egypt.

This is rather misleading. The incident you are referring to occurred in June, 2013 and the areas in which they occurred were not likely at all to be visited by tourists. The incidents in Israel, which are current, are occurring in areas in which visitors might likely be present...the old city of Jerus., bus stations...places where crowds are likely to be present. It would have been a lot less expensive for Celebrity to maintain the original itinerary v. finding alternate ports. They should be commended for their concern over passenger's safety.

We've missed other ports due to weather and there is nothing you can do but go with the flow.

Well, in this case, there actually is something you can do.

If you have imagination and flexibility you can proceed like the folks from post #181 of this thread. These people hopped on a flight to Tel Aviv and are having a fabulous time in Israel until they catch up with the ship in Greece:

"Just came back from a full day in Jerusalem, Yad Vashem, Israel museum, Western

wall. lots of Israeli security and our driver/guide was packing a hand gun in full view.

Got the tour van at the hotel upon arriving in Israel. Now dinner in Jaffa and a test of nightlife in Tel Aviv. Tomorrow the northern part of Israel, might stay in Tsfad.

We will rejoin the ship in Rhodes.

prices:

Rome to Tel Aviv $93+25 bag fee.

Tel Aviv Hilton $122 per room per night.

Guide and van $350 per day, we are 5.

All was decided over dinner at Rome when we got the news."

There is a HUGE difference between deaths as a result of being in a city of multiple millions of people due to domestic violence, drug usage, robberies, and the like....and deaths due to terrorism and war.

I feel I can fairly protect myself from being killed in NYC or any large city, by being smart and careful, but I can do nothing to protect myself from random acts of terrorism and war.

That's the thing though. No one can protect themselves from TRULY random acts of terrorism. I venture to say folks felt safe in NYC on September 10, 2001. Or visiting their local bakery in Paris before January 7 of this year. Or taking the subway in Tokyo prior to the sarin gas attack in 1995.

I fully understand that a corporation has to manage risks. (Although I may not agree with the time frame Celebrity has chosen to do so....). But terrorism can occur in this "new world" seemingly anytime and anywhere. We just have to take a deep breath and not let it keep us from living our lives. After all, statistically speaking, I'm about a thousand times more likely to die in a car accident during my daily commute to and from work than to be involved in any terrorist incident anywhere I might travel.