HAL Negativity

CruiseRQA

A while back I read a study of customer relations (not for HAL but the customer service industry in general). In its conclusions it stated in general that customers who had a nice experience don't say much to anyone, but if they had a bad experience they tend to tell an average of ten people.

in the Pinnacle on either Noordam or Westerdam, can't remember which ship. other than that we are quite satified but would love to be bumped up to a signature or Neptune suite as 4* Mariners. HAL are you listening as we have 3 cruises booked for 2016.

Often when people post something negative on any aspect, those who make a contrary positive observation from their own experience are scornfully referred to as "HAL cheerleaders."

People get tired of seeing their honest input belittled and bashed...and pretty soon, they no longer waste the time to share the good stuff.

HAL has so many terrific features. Enjoy!

Alternatively (from someone who mainly lurks on those kinds of discussions), I find that the person posting a contrary point of view generally does so from a position of "What you wrote couldn't possibly have happened, because I, a long-time HAL cruiser, have never had such an experience!"

Which also puts a damper on those folks who honestly want to share both the good and the not-so-good....

Edited by cruisemom42

Sometimes it seems when you read this forum that no one likes HAL. It makes me wonder, too, why some people continue to sail with them if they're that upset. There are lots of choices.

IMHO, there are a few things that factor into this.

1. HAL has gone through many changes over the years. The line has many repeat, long time passengers, and as such lots of people have seen the changes. And I agree, most of them aren't positive. I have to think about when we first started cruising with them, in the early '90's, and remind myself that there are positive changes. Back in those days there was no PG or Caneletto, only fixed dining, and IIRC there wasn't even in-room movies back then. Embarking/disembarking was a bigger hassle. There was no thermal suite. But there was also a much higher level of food and service. And back then, when the S-class ships came out, they were larger than the (old) Noordam and the (old) New Amsterdam we were used to. So some of us see the line we love changing, and slipping away. Compared to the HAL of yesterday, it's easier to focus on changes we dont like more than the enhancements we do.

2. Of the mainstream lines, HAL is the most different. Carnival, Princess, RCI and NCL, while different, have more in common with each other than they do with HAL. HAL is something that first time HAL cruisers will embrace and like, or not - but it definitely conjures up stronger opinions.

3. Cruising in general, IMHO, is overhyped by some of the travel community. There is no way a cruise serving thousands of dinners each night can have the same quality as a land-based restaurant. The speciality restaurants can do a better job, overall, than a MDR. A better expectation is good quality banquet food.

4. Cruise policies (and I'm more familiar with HAL than other lines), aren't the same as a hotel. And in most cases they cant be. Let's take a hotel that allows a 24-hour or even same day no charge cancellation. They have a good chance to fill that room with someone else, if not the same day at least by the next. If you cancel a cruise the last minute, that cabin goes empty. Cruise line rates and cancellations are more similar to airlines than hotels. I'm not saying it's fair, but I'm saying a savvy traveler will read and understand the policy before committing. A percentage of the complaints here are from people who either didn't understand, or don't like, the policy. I'm not saying I like it either - just saying when you read some of the policy negativity try to discren if the poster was treated according to the policy, which might be different than if you think they were treated fairily. Point being some of the policies, especially around rate changes and cancels, might not seem fair, but are followed fairly for all (if that makes sense).

I cant say I love everything about HAL, I sure wish the food was better. I wish the ships were smaller. I wish they would top adding more cabins in retrofit. I wish they wouldnt nickel and dime over things. But for me the positives far outweigh the negatives - and I dont think the negatives for me are different on other lines (at least of the same price category - true luxury cruising excluded).

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Two people on the same cruise can and will have completely different opinions. It may stem from which employees interacted with them or it could stem from what their expectations are.

We were on a cruise once and one of the couples from our Meet and Greet normally cruised on ultra-luxury cruise lines. For our cruise they had a very nice suite but were completely disappointed the service wasn't the same as the six star cruises. They had unreasonable expectations. The rest of us had a wonderful time.

The cruise lines are faced with a nearly impossible job. How can they keep 2000 different people happy at the same time? Everyone has different tastes in food, entertainment, décor and service. Some people lose sight of what the overall value of a cruise is - what they receive versus what it costs them, and what the alternative would be with a land package.

This is the Cruise CRITIC website. People see this as a place to highlight problems and suggest solutions. Some people do it better than others.

Edited by Cruizer Bill

Two weeks ago we returned home from a 30+ day cruise on the Zaandam, cruising from San Diego to Buenos Aires. We loved the ship, (nice smaller size), the service and the itinerary. We would take this same cruise in a heartbeat.

Maybe there are two HALs out there. I've only been on the good one, 4 times now.

...Compared to the HAL of yesterday, it's easier to focus on changes we dont like more than the enhancements we do.

Very well stated. HAL is changing because it has to. I am sure that there are those at the helm who also long for the HAL experience of the past, but it simply cannot happen. There are simply not enough passengers who are willing to pay the fares to warrant that experience.

Those who are willing to pay more generally already do. They visit the speciality restaurants. They partake in the social dining events like the Chef's Table. They book the Cabanas onboard to receive the service that they are seeking. They add the suite amenities package to their booking. My point is that if you want to pay more on HAL for a better experience, you can.

Since your most recent HAL cruise was in 2013, the issue of inconsistent product delivery spans your most recent experience. It is doubtful, in my opinion, that your cruise will fail to meet your expectations.

My September-October Statendam cruise ranks among my top 3 HAL cruises, significantly better in several aspects when compared with my 2008 Grand World Cruise. HAL can provide a cruise experience that meets the "Signature of Excellence" slogan!

Best Wishes for a great cruise!

... Maybe there are two HALs out there. I've only been on the good one, 4 times now.

You aren't alone - we've been on several dozen great HAL cruises over the span of roughly 20 years and have never felt short-changed. I guess we've just been uncannily lucky but whatever the reason, we have enjoyed all of our HAL cruises.

Two weeks ago we returned home from a 30+ day cruise on the Zaandam, cruising from San Diego to Buenos Aires. We loved the ship, (nice smaller size), the service and the itinerary. We would take this same cruise in a heartbeat.

Maybe there are two HALs out there. I've only been on the good one, 4 times now.

I think it's pretty easy to have 4 good cruises. Come back after about 30 or 40 cruises and your odds might be not quite as good. I don't like to diminish the experience of others. There is far too much of it on this board.

I do find it interesting when people think that only their problems are problems and no once else's problems are valid. I'm not referring to you.

Why is it so difficult to believe that some people have better experiences than others? I believe nothing is perfect, and I find people who post nothing but rosy red comments to be just as unbelievable as those who do nothing but whine about everything.

I totally agree with you. I don't know who is worse....the chronic complainers or the people who patron one brand dozens of times and boast that everything is always perfect. Both are annoying and both are removed from reality. It's like a Ford driver being broken down on the side of the road and still boasting that his truck is better than the Chevrolet driving by with no problems (or vice versa...I drive neither). ;)

Reading this board, however, has me concerned. So many complaints about the ships, the food, the service, the smoking, the speciality restaurants, the entertainment.

I'm one who thinks HAL's entertainment sucks and their smoking policy is retarded given this is 2015, but I think their food is pretty good and their service and specialty restaurants are great. In fact, Tamarind is one of my favorites across all cruise lines. When you read the reviews, just try to decide if what people are complaining about is something that would actually affect you.

We did a 26-day TransAtlantic+North Mediterranean (to Venice) last April on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Our fourth cruise with HAL (over the years), but only three months after the one before (SA on the Zaandam). The NA really hit the sweet spot for DH and I -- enough venues and features to keep him from getting bored, yet small enough to find some favorite spots AND for numerous staff to learn your names and preferences.

Do not let the complaints worry you. OTOH do not live with something that is not right. I filled out a suggestion card about something so small I cannot remember what it was, and got two or three phonecalls asking for details and what could they do to make me happy!

I totally agree with you. I don't know who is worse....the chronic complainers or the people who patron one brand dozens of times and boast that everything is always perfect. Both are annoying and both are removed from reality. It's like a Ford driver being broken down on the side of the road and still boasting that his truck is better than the Chevrolet driving by with no problems (or vice versa...I drive neither). ;)

I'm one who thinks HAL's entertainment sucks and their smoking policy is retarded given this is 2015, but I think their food is pretty good and their service and specialty restaurants are great. In fact, Tamarind is one of my favorites across all cruise lines. When you read the reviews, just try to decide if what people are complaining about is something that would actually affect you.

(bold is mine) This is excellent advice. When I look at hotels on tripadvisor, I read the most recent reviews and then I filter to see the worst reviews. Sometimes the things that made people hate a hotel are irrelevant to me. Sometimes they make me think Hmm, better not stay here.

I see changes in HAL that I don't like. The staff are stretched thinner all the time. I don't like some of the entertainment changes. But they don't make me want to stop sailing with HAL. I don't think all the people who complain hate HAL. I think they love HAL and hate seeing an old friend in declining health.

(bold is mine)

I see changes in HAL that I don't like. The staff are stretched thinner all the time. I don't like some of the entertainment changes. But they don't make me want to stop sailing with HAL. I don't think all the people who complain hate HAL. I think they love HAL and hate seeing an old friend in declining health.

Our sentiments exactly. We just got off a 15 day Prinsendam Transatlantic. We love HAL but are sad to see the cabin stewards stretched so thin and costs cut on the food. Also, much of the entertainment we don't like. On our cruise they did have a show called "Dancing" that was a real show stopper, we all loved it! Bring on traditional song and dance every time!

We are 4 star on HAL, and have 5 cruises booked with them through 2016......and we have always been happy. Yes, we see changes....but our favorite local restaurants here have changed, too....that is life.

Last year we took a 21 day trip on Seabourn.....glorious, small ship, excellent service, nice food. Was it worth the price difference? Yes ....but only because we wanted to actually land on Antarctica, and we did, 6 times. But we came back to HAl this year, because the difference in ship, service and food were not (to us!) Worth the price difference.....we were perfectly satisfied with HAL'S level of service, food, entertainment. We could spend 3 months this year on Hal for the cost of that 3 weeks on SB.

But, if we wanted to land in Antarctica again, we would choose SB again. We try to decide for each trip which makes sense, and as long as HAl suits us, we'll keep booking them.

Barbara M. In NH

100% agree here! HAL provides an unbeatable level of benefits for the price we pay. We usually book Oceanview cabins and try to travel in the shoulder seasons. This gives us bargain prices. For what we are paying HAL, we cannot take a land trip even if we go discount all the way!

Sometimes it seems when you read this forum that no one likes HAL. It makes me wonder, too, why some people continue to sail with them if they're that upset. There are lots of choices.

I cant say I love everything about HAL, I sure wish the food was better. I wish the ships were smaller. I wish they would top adding more cabins in retrofit. I wish they wouldnt nickel and dime over things. But for me the positives far outweigh the negatives - and I dont think the negatives for me are different on other lines (at least of the same price category - true luxury cruising excluded).

Hmmm, seems to me you asked and answered your own question.

Hmmm, seems to me you asked and answered your own question.

Not really...

What I was saying is that there are many things I wish were different, but overall still enjoy the experience and more imporantly find a really good value for what we get. I cant recall ever writing an overly negative post of HAL, ever.

What I was wondering about are the people who come here and completely bash things, but continue to sail. Everyone will draw their own line somewhere, and have their own 'straw that broke the camels back", I suppose. For some that line seems way far out from where mine would be.

Not really...

What I was saying is that there are many things I wish were different, but overall still enjoy the experience and more imporantly find a really good value for what we get. I cant recall ever writing an overly negative post of HAL, ever.

What I was wondering about are the people who come here and completely bash things, but continue to sail. Everyone will draw their own line somewhere, and have their own 'straw that broke the camels back", I suppose. For some that line seems way far out from where mine would be.

I've found that even the most chronic complainer will tolerate just about anything IF THE DEAL IS GOOD ENOUGH.

• 3 weeks later...
maybe not tolerate but they will more than likely complain about it!

I think that's just because people are more likely to complain about a bad experience than compliment a good experience.

Edited by ellieanne

Yes, it's true that many people are more prone to report negative than positive experiences. Also true that for whatever the reasons, many who complain bitterly about a cruise line, hotel, restaurant, etc. return there repeatedly nonetheless.

I think the negative commentary on HAL is based on many things, among them:

Over-hyping by the cruise line that causes unrealistic expectations

Memories of cruises past (whether accurate or rose colored or outright erroneous)

Resistance to change, i.e any change is dismissed as a cutback

Changing lifestyles and demographics of fellow passengers

Etc.

For my travel dollar, overall I am satisfied with what I receive on HAL (as well as Cunard, Princess, and Celebrity). Are my cruises perfect? No. Are there things from my first cruise experiences going back to 1978 that I miss? Yes.

But on the whole, HAL delivers what I am seeking at a very fair price point.

For my travel dollar, overall I am satisfied with what I receive on HAL (as well as Cunard, Princess, and Celebrity). Are my cruises perfect? No. Are there things from my first cruise experiences going back to 1978 that I miss? Yes.

But on the whole, HAL delivers what I am seeking at a very fair price point.

Well said.