Compensation for Riviera Nurovirus Cruise

RJB

People who cruise a lot have a favorite line, some love it such they allow no criticism of it and overlook all faults. Some have lines they would not return to, like me with HAL or your husband with Oceania. Many just bounce around. At the end of the day we are all lucky to have the money, time and health to enjoy all the choices we have.

What a great thought for the Christmas Season!

This is a question rather than a statement and I wonder if perhaps the Officials in Miami denied "O" permission to bring food and drink ashore given the illness aboard? Is it possible they said no food or drink off the ship into the terminal?

HOWEVER' date=' that would not preclude them from ordering food from a local Miami source and having it delivered.

I would think that is what a premier hospitality facility/ship would do. They could have had sandwiches/snacks prepared ashore and delivered.

[/b']

i wonder if they could get something delivered on short notice ?

They did seem to expect to board the passenger at 1:30pm

I can see the order at some local pizza place ..."1200 pizzas please ASAP" ;)

They could have at least got cases of water or sodas from a local supermarket

Hyper, you are right that we should count our blessings at being able to travel when and where we wish. At the same time, I understand very well why people are unhappy when their long-booked vacation is impacted this way.

We felt the same on Marina in April/May '15 but for US the main complaint was overcooked meat ... and that's not so hard to deal with.

In reading the article on why Riviera was banned from Bermuda, it's seem rather silly to me. Were they really afraid that 1250 passengers (most of whom were fine and if they were sick they were probably staying in their cabins) were going to devastate the island? Somehow I don't think so.

I agree with Sail7Seas that if Miami banned bringing food and drink to waiting passengers from the ship (which might well be the case since there are plenty of ports that tell us we cannot bring food off the ship even when everyone is healthy) THEN Oceania could/should have arranged for land-based purveyors to deliver food, even if only sandwiches and a coke.

(For those who are interested I have a funny story to relate about my bother-in-law's experiences with customs in Bermuda when he was importing heavy equipment.)

I dearly hope that Riviera's problems DISAPPEAR SOON! My sympathies to the passengers, especially the B2B passengers, who have been so disappointed with their vacation.

This will not stop us from sailing on Sirena in October and Marina in April 2017!

Mura

i wonder if they could get something delivered on short notice ?

They did seem to expect to board the passenger at 1:30pm

I can see the order at some local pizza place ..."1200 pizzas please ASAP" ;)

They could have at least got cases of water or sodas from a local supermarket

In Miami, they could get plenty of food plenty fast.

If they are willing to pay, they well could have put together sandwiches, snacks, pizza, whatever...... They didn't spend the money, JMO.

Edited by sail7seas

Hyper, you are right that we should count our blessings at being able to travel when and where we wish. At the same time, I understand very well why people are unhappy when their long-booked vacation is impacted this way.

We felt the same on Marina in April/May '15 but for US the main complaint was overcooked meat ... and that's not so hard to deal with.

In reading the article on why Riviera was banned from Bermuda, it's seem rather silly to me. Were they really afraid that 1250 passengers (most of whom were fine and if they were sick they were probably staying in their cabins) were going to devastate the island? Somehow I don't think so.

I agree with Sail7Seas that if Miami banned bringing food and drink to waiting passengers from the ship (which might well be the case since there are plenty of ports that tell us we cannot bring food off the ship even when everyone is healthy) THEN Oceania could/should have arranged for land-based purveyors to deliver food, even if only sandwiches and a coke.

(For those who are interested I have a funny story to relate about my bother-in-law's experiences with customs in Bermuda when he was importing heavy equipment.)

I dearly hope that Riviera's problems DISAPPEAR SOON! My sympathies to the passengers, especially the B2B passengers, who have been so disappointed with their vacation.

This will not stop us from sailing on Sirena in October and Marina in April 2017!

Mura

From past experience boarding ships that had been infected with Noro - to expect to board by 1:30 isn't going to happen.

Deep cleaning and inspections take time and we found we didn't get on until 2 - 2:30 in those scenarios.

Setting that expectation for 1:30 is hopeful and disastrous when people are dissapointed. Better to set the expectations low and over achieve IMO.

It's not fun being stuck in a terminal and all my sympathies to the B2B's & the newcomers.

a bit of basic food is not hard to provide IMO

It's certainly been done before

If they are willing to pay, they well could have put together sandwiches, snacks, pizza, whatever...... They didn't spend the money, JMO.

This is so right, it's a matter of budget and what "O" thinks about who they service.

This is so right, it's a matter of budget and what "O" thinks about who they service.

As much as we like Oceania is it time to re think if they will step up in our time of need? If there is a problem will the Oceania team be there for us? Can we say for sure that they will? At this point just do not know.

As much as we like Oceania is it time to re think if they will step up in our time of need? If there is a problem will the Oceania team be there for us? Can we say for sure that they will? At this point just do not know.

I know what my answer to this question is (Hint - it isn't HAL or Celebrity :)).

Everyone has to answer this for themselves. We all have different expectations and requirements in order to have a satisfactory cruising experience; no single cruise line will fulfill this criteria for everyone. Hence we all choose a line/lines that suit us best overall.

I know what my answer to this question is (Hint - it isn't HAL or Celebrity :)).

Everyone has to answer this for themselves. We all have different expectations and requirements in order to have a satisfactory cruising experience; no single cruise line will fulfill this criteria for everyone. Hence we all choose a line/lines that suit us best overall.

Oceania has been our cruise line of choice for the past 10 years and we have 2 more cruises booked. It is very disturbing when I read here of the lack of concern for their customers. Should I worry? In time of trouble is when we find out the character of management. Do not know. Thought I did. ???

The point I was getting at & failed

Just guessing on my part

I think they thought they would have the passengers on the ship by 2pm so did not order food for the terminal building

Things did not go according to schedule

I am not sure where in Miami they could order food at 1 or 2pm to get it there within a short time the logistics alone would be a nightmare

I guess calling every take away place in Miami might have gotten enough food for over 1200 people in a hurry but I am guessing the local sandwich shop or pizza place could not handle that many orders ..on short notice

JMO

I'm very sorry to hear this update and hope things get better fast.

This is a question rather than a statement and I wonder if perhaps the Officials in Miami denied "O" permission to bring food and drink ashore given the illness aboard? Is it possible they said no food or drink off the ship into the terminal?

HOWEVER, that would not preclude them from ordering food from a local Miami source and having it delivered.

I would think that is what a premier hospitality facility/ship would do. They could have had sandwiches/snacks prepared ashore and delivered.

The captain came on the the tannoy last night to acknowledge the lack of information he has given with regard to to informing passengers of the numbers and state of the the passengers affected

A bit late !! if this had been done at the start of the virus starting nearly three weeks ago they might have made the the passengers more aware of what was happening and given more insite in to what was needed.

Instead OC hid the epidermic from the passengers at the start and only seasoned travelers knew something was wrong .

Now we will have a report every evening a bit late for us as our damaged holiday is nearly over.

There has been a new case reported yesterday but we have been told it is not NV but a normal case of Gastro Enteritis.

The ship will still be in a state on lock down now until the 28th unless any more cases are reported.

Regarding the boarding in Miami it would have been possible to provide some food and drinks at the time remember some people arrive for boarding at 11.30 expecting to board they had a 4.5 hour wait.

The captain came on the the tannoy last night to acknowledge the lack of information he has given with regard to to informing passengers of the numbers and state of the the passengers affected

A bit late !! if this had been done at the start of the virus starting nearly three weeks ago they might have made the the passengers more aware of what was happening and given more insite in to what was needed.

Instead OC hid the epidermic from the passengers at the start and only seasoned travelers knew something was wrong .

Now we will have a report every evening a bit late for us as our damaged holiday is nearly over.

There has been a new case reported yesterday but we have been told it is not NV but a normal case of Gastro Enteritis.

The ship will still be in a state on lock down now until the 28th unless any more cases are reported. Regarding the boarding in Miami it would have been possible to provide some food and drinks at the time remember some people arrive for boarding at 11.30 expecting to board they had a 4.5 hour wait.

"The ship will still be in a state on lock down now until the 28th unless any more cases are reported."

[emphasis added]

What does this mean?

For three more weeks, unless there are new cases reported in future days?

Whatever will happen if there *are* new cases reported?

GeezerCouple

Regarding the boarding in Miami it would have been possible to provide some food and drinks at the time remember some people arrive for boarding at 11.30 expecting to board they had a 4.5 hour wait.

I believe those people boarding on the 2nd were notified not to arrive early as the ship would be going through a deep clean

They chose to ignore the notice

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48416138&postcount=365

Edited by LHT28

I believe those people boarding on the 2nd were notified not to arrive early as the ship would be going through a deep clean

They chose to ignore the notice

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48416138&postcount=365

It was my mistake should have read the 8th of Dec you are assuming every body reads Cruise critic and as the Travel agents only got this notice the night before when most people were already in transit also not everybody reads cruise critic.

All those people that were not in the Miami cruise terminal on the day should not write comments as they only have hearsay to go on.

All I can tell you it was a Zoo with a large proportion of old people that were getting very upset at the waiting having traveled a long distance the last thing you want is to be seated waiting to board the ship.

Some of the cabins did not become available until 9pm I was at dinner when they made the final announcement.

Some of the luggage was still on the Quay at 8pm and was not delivered to the cabins some people were hunting for their luggage at 10pm.

So as you can imagine there were was a lot of frustrations and tempers frayed !!!

Based on roger b's latest post, have to wonder why Oceania waited until the late afternoon or evening the day before embarkation, Dec. 1 to notify TA's who had to be available and then notify their clients who were mostly in transit or not available that embarkation would be late.

If memory serves me correctly it was posted before arrival in Nassau and probably know to Oceania prior to that time that a deep cleaning would be required in Miami and that embarkation as well as departure would be delayed and notice should have been provided to people embarking on Dec. much earlier. And, to help people who didn't get the information thru no fault of their own, food and drink should have been planned well before the 2nd to be available for further delays that would have been inevitable with the CDC inspection as well as deep cleaning.

To think that a 2 1/2 hour delay (11 to 1:30) would work is clearly wrong based on other posts on CC for similar activities. As another poster stated, better to under promise and over deliver than over promise and under deliver.

Ok I was not there

If they knew they were not getting on anytime soon take a taxi back to Bayside mall ..all kinds of food & drinks available

use some common sense :rolleyes:

I would like to tell the 15/20 people in wheelchairs and others with walkers and sticks, as I stated the there were a great number of frail old people, the rest of the people had carry ons and were not in the mood to leave the terminal get in a taxi and go to a mall after traveling !!! so your comment of use some common sense would have not have gone down well on the day.

I would like to tell the 15/20 people in wheelchairs and others with walkers and sticks, as I stated the there were a great number of frail old people, the rest of the people had carry ons and were not in the mood to leave the terminal get in a taxi and go to a mall after traveling !!! so your comment of use some common sense would have not have gone down well on the day.

If I was tired hungry & cranky knew boarding was going to be a lot longer

I would take the 5 min taxi drive to get food

YMMV

I totally agree with you Roger. Actually when we got to the terminal in Civi when we had this we were not allowed to leave.

Why should anyone have to go searching for food? O should have provided it.

YMMV

I'm sorry. I disagree strongly. Food should have been provided. If the Prinsendam could do it (a mere mass market line), then a premier line should do the same thing.

It's not hard to order sandwiches in Miami IF they weren't permitted to bring food off. Lots of places at Kings Wharf.

I know, observations or disagreeing opinions are not wanted, but to ask people with carry on's and passports to go and find food when they have a cruise booked that is supposed to supply lunch doesn't make sense. AND, the notice was late. Those without email, wouldn't get it. Those with TA's may not have gotten it. IMO there was no reason for this late notice. Any ship with this level of Noro has to be deep cleaned. The notice should have been sent out long ago.

I was not there but probably they were told they would board at 1:30 and decided to wait and then they were told 2:00 and then 2:30.

I'm with Rogerb on this one.

Just glad I didn't accept the "deal" that O offered to stay on and do the B2B. Food is NOT hard to provide and it doesn't have to be fancy.

To expect people to wait until 3:00 pm to eat is totally wrong. JMO

Edited by kazu

Lynn. How would the people know how long it would really be? How would 1200 people get taxis as the only taxis would be for people arriving?? No que of taxis like when the ship arrived. Why should people from out of town know a shopping center is 5 minutes away?? Why should people spend their money for taxi both ways and food that was promised as included.

Why didn't O send out notices of late embarkation in a timely manner and have plans to take care of people arriving??

Face it it was a screw up yet still nothing and no apology we know of from O

Sorry Lyn but, usually you are quite reasonable and not supporting O no matter what but, in this case you are completely wrong!!!!

Edited by rallydave

Perhaps announcements were not made or were erroneous?

It is entirely possible those waiting had no idea the wait would be 4.5 hours.

Had communication made it clear, people could have made the common sense decisions that work best for them individually.

If they thought the wait would be an hour or hour and a half, they could have been too tired from travel to bother if they expected the wait to not be so long.

Were announcements made how long the wait would be?

Rooms ready at 9 P.M. on a luxury cruise line?

Disgraceful.

Edited by sail7seas

Perhaps announcements were not made or were erroneous?

It is entirely possible those waiting had no idea the wait would be 4.5 hours.

Had communication made it clear, people could have made the common sense decisions that work best for them individually.

If they thought the wait would be an hour or hour and a half, they could have been too tired from travel to bother if they expected the wait to not be so long.

Were announcements made how long the wait would be?

Rooms ready at 9 P.M. on a luxury cruise line?

Disgraceful.

I believe O is technically premier Sail, Crystal and the 2 S's are luxury from my understanding - but I could be wrong (I often am)

but yes, I agree it is not right.

the communications were very late coming and if most people were travelling or without email they would have never received it.

I have no idea why the communication was so late. Anyone that has dealt with noro knows the ship has to be deep cleaned when there is an outbreak. I am sure O knows this too ;)

When we boarded the Crystal Symphony last month, we got a text message telling us that there was a change the day before and the ship was leaving port 5 hours early at 1 AM instead of 6 AM (the next day). There are some software programs they can use to text guests so they are up to date. So easy to get a phone number for in transit guests.

I believe O is technically premier Sail, Crystal and the 2 S's are luxury from my understanding - but I could be wrong (I often am)

but yes, I agree it is not right.

the communications were very late coming and if most people were travelling or without email they would have never received it.

I have no idea why the communication was so late. Anyone that has dealt with noro knows the ship has to be deep cleaned when there is an outbreak. I am sure O knows this too ;)

I have not looked back through this whole thread but I seem to think some folks have referred to "O" as luxury but in any case I don't think there is all the much distinction between 'premier' and 'luxury' and really ..... whichever category they most closely are identified, they should have provided food, beverage/water and certainly pertinent and current information to their guests waiting to board their ship.

YMMV

You can deny it any way you want, and however many times you want but Oceania knew a few days in advance and should have had food and drink ready that morning. They blew it and should say so.