Dress Code Report from Sihouette

Cruzinram

Early seating and observation from outside MDR. I can report that at least for this sailing, the Tux is history. I saw no more than a dozen men in their Tux. In fact I saw some Chic dress in the form of men wearing baseball caps at

the dinner table. How Chic!

In fact I saw some Chic dress in the form of men wearing baseball caps at

Were they designer baseball caps? That makes all the difference between unacceptable and not-allowed-but-okay-nonetheless jeans. Why shouldn't it with baseball caps too?

Early seating and observation from outside MDR. I can report that at least for this sailing, the Tux is history. I saw no more than a dozen men in their Tux. In fact I saw some Chic dress in the form of men wearing baseball caps at

Yup, it's all going to go downhill. What's "Chick" for one is not "Chick" for another. :eek:

Well- the decline of appropriate dress seems to have started!

Who was taught that wearing a baseball cap- or any cap - inside is acceptable? I blame Celebrity for not addressing this and for the deterioration of "class" in the dining room.

Well- the decline of appropriate dress seems to have started!

Who was taught that wearing a baseball cap- or any cap - inside is acceptable? I blame Celebrity for not addressing this and for the deterioration of "class" in the dining room.

I'm almost 70 years old and can still remember my mother telling me to take my hat off at meals.

No change in general standards for good manners, apparently just the manners of some on board...

Has always been hats off indoors, unless for religious reasons, sports event... folks can put the hat under the seat , on an empty seat or hang on back of chair. Dh sems to manage

For the life of me, I cannot understand why dress code or what people are wearing in the restaurants or dining room is always being brought up.

This is the 21st century. The world has changed, yet dress on Celebrity ships seems to be a huge issue to some.

I cannot see any of you making a fuss when not on board, in restaurants you frequent at home?

It is really time to get over the "new" codes and live with them. As polls have indicated, most folks, by a large margin, are very much OK with the new state of dress.

The Restaurant Manager told me that about half wore ties and jackets. One group of 14 were turned away at the door since the men wore shorts. I didn't notice caps, but there is a very large group of SF Giants fans on board.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why dress code or what people are wearing in the restaurants or dining room is always being brought up.

This is the 21st century. The world has changed, yet dress on Celebrity ships seems to be a huge issue to some.

I cannot see any of you making a fuss when not on board, in restaurants you frequent at home?

It is really time to get over the "new" codes and live with them. As polls have indicated, most folks, by a large margin, are very much OK with the new state of dress.

For the life of me I can't understand how people can be so inconsiderate to the cruise line and the other guest by ignoring the cruise line's dress guidelines. If I didn't agree with them, I would go to the buffet or find a different venue for vacations. No way would I flaunt a total disregard for guidelines clearly spelled out. Maybe it's the way I was raised.

I'm also on this cruise and I did see people in shorts, novelty t-shirts and flip flops that weren't turned away.

For the life of me I can't understand how people can be so inconsiderate to the cruise line and the other guest by ignoring the cruise line's dress guidelines. If I didn't agree with them, I would go to the buffet or find a different venue for vacations. No way would I flaunt a total disregard for guidelines clearly spelled out. Maybe it's the way I was raised.

I'm also on this cruise and I did see people in shorts, novelty t-shirts and flip flops that weren't turned away.

For the life of me.....I did not read anywhere in this thread that indicated anyone was "ignoring the cruise line's dress guidelines." or "flaunt a total disregard for guidelines". ( I have not seen a no hat edict in the dress regs).

If you saw "people in shorts, novelty t-shirts and flip flops that weren't turned away" from the main dining room at supper time, then I would say that the staff is derelict in their duties. Blaming people that were not informed or restricted is no the fault of the people, it is the fault of those empowered to enforce the rules.

grandgeezer, lay the blame, if there is any, where it belongs...not on the passengers but the enforcers at the gate.

Edited by pete_coach

No change in general standards for good manners, apparently just the manners of some on board...

Has always been hats off indoors, unless for religious reasons, sports event... folks can put the hat under the seat , on an empty seat or hang on back of chair. Dh sems to manage

I only will where a hat if I really need to for blocking the sun. I'm not a big fan of hat on myself. The statement above does applies to both sexes right?

JMO, but I think that to many, the changes in dress codes are symbolic of the overall deterioration in the cruising experience. In fact, I've read many posts blaming deterioration of the quality of food on those who do not dress up. Their argument goes something like this: if you don't respect yourself enough to dress up, then the cruise line won't respect you enough to serve a quality meal.

JMO, but I think that to many, the changes in dress codes are symbolic of the overall deterioration in the cruising experience. In fact, I've read many posts blaming deterioration of the quality of food on those who do not dress up. Their argument goes something like this: if you don't respect yourself enough to dress up, then the cruise line won't respect you enough to serve a quality meal.

Now there is an interesting bit of logic :)

To me, cruising is a vacation.....a departure from my everyday routine and life.

Now there is an interesting bit of logic :)

To me, cruising is a vacation.....a departure from my everyday routine and life.

Not my logic. I always thought it more logical to blame any deterioration in service/quality upon the unrelenting pressure to fill cabins and lower costs. But, as they say, if you're clever enough, you can usually find a way to blame everything on anything.

We completely agree.

For the life of me.....I did not read anywhere in this thread that indicated anyone was "ignoring the cruise line's dress guidelines." or "flaunt a total disregard for guidelines". ( I have not seen a no hat edict in the dress regs).

If you saw "people in shorts, novelty t-shirts and flip flops that weren't turned away" from the main dining room at supper time, then I would say that the staff is derelict in their duties. Blaming people that were not informed or restricted is no the fault of the people, it is the fault of those empowered to enforce the rules.

grandgeezer, lay the blame, if there is any, where it belongs...not on the passengers but the enforcers at the gate.

My take: If only one or two are showing up ill-dressed turning them away is less of an issue than when many are showing up ill-dressed. It becomes a much bigger deal and one I think the staff does not want to fight.

How long before Celebrity goes full surrender and the dining room is just the buffet with waiters?