How much do you walk on deck?

dockman

I almost always walk one hour in the a.m. before breakfast and another hour around 4 pm....my normal pace is 3.5 miles per hour so about 7 miles a day. Helps keep weight gain down plus i just love to walk on the Holland wrap around decks. Give me an MP3 player with some good music and I am a happy camper.

Colder weather cruises can sometimes be a bit of a problem but on most cruises I do manage to get in my daily miles. I am not fond of treadmill walking but unless it's is really rough or extra windy/cold you'll find me on the LP deck.

One of the best things about Holland is the wrap around deck. Frankly I hate ships that don't have this feature.

Most people on the deck are polite although of course there are sometimes a few that don't seem to be able to read the NO JOGGING signs or those who think they can stand on deck and smoke a nasty cigar and nobody will notice.

Edited by dockman

5 miles first thing in the morning on sea days, less on port days. The 3 lines I sail most (Cunard, Crystal, HAL) all have wraparound promenade decks. I have COPD and diabetes and cannot do most of the things in the gym but the daily walks keep the diabetes under control. I absolutely hate the miserable walking spaces on Celebrity.

Roy

5 miles first thing in the morning on sea days, less on port days. The 3 lines I sail most (Cunard, Crystal, HAL) all have wraparound promenade decks. I have COPD and diabetes and cannot do most of the things in the gym but the daily walks keep the diabetes under control. I absolutely hate the miserable walking spaces on Celebrity.

Roy

I always check deck plans before i book..no wraparound deck, no booking. Not sure but looking at deck plans of koningsdam it looks like it doesn't go all the way around and for sure gets very very narrow....starboard stern side is strange on prom deck.

I time my morning walks to podcasts of old Dragnet episodes. I alternate walks of two episodes and three episodes, unless I know I have a big day of walking ashore and then I'll either skip the on - board walk or keep it to one Dragnet episode.

I'm another fan of the walk around deck. A friend who just sailed the Silouette back from the Med also complained of the lack of it. Didn't know Oceania did not have it either.

Enjoy the HAL ships of today....they will probably not replace them as they are now in the future.

We use the wrap around promenade many times per day, so much that it would be difficult for me to imagine cruising on a ship without one. It's our favorite after dinner thing to do, and we also do it many times during the day.

I'm always surprised that we don't see more people out there at night, such a romantic place to be. It's something people can enjoy at their own pace, fast or slow, long walk or short….we absolutely love it.

I especially love the HAL ships with staterooms right on the lower promenade deck - so convenient for long walks. (I travel with a Labrador dog.)

Currently looking at the 2017 two-week Amsterdam cruise from Seattle to Alaska. We haven't been on an Alaska cruise in several decades.

Without fail I do a meager morning mile every sea day or day with afternoon activities, not because I enjoy it, but to maintain my mobility. At home I also do an evening mile, but onboard you will find me in the Crow's Nest.

I won't book on any ship that doesn't have a wrap-around deck! I walk twice around the deck every day after breakfast and at least once after lunch. I can't believe the new Koningsdam won't have one. It's a race between HAL eventually getting rid of all their wonderful ships with the wrap-arounds and my getting too old to travel! If you can only afford an inside cabin, with all these new ships with about 90 percent of the cabins having balconies, if you have one of the few insides, you'll hardly ever see the ocean. I travel solo, so many times all I can afford is an inside. It's so nice to relax in a deck chair on lower promenade, chat with other people, and listen to the ocean.

I do 5 miles in the morning and am usually out bright and early. I do about 3 miles, go get some fruit, juice and treats for DH, then do at least another 2 miles. That way I can justify my chocolate croissant or the crab eggs benedict!

I walk more during the day. I usually have at least 30,000 steps on my pedometer daily, which is about 10 miles. In addition I do the stairs whenever I don't have DH with me. Like rafinmd he has COPD and other mobility issues so uses a scooter on board. On HAL we can scooter/walk the whole promenade together which is nice. We also did Princess last year and we couldn't do that due to stairs. However, one nice point for Princess was that the promenade was totally handicapped accessible with the button to open the doors (one set on each side of the ship)

Karen

I don't walk as much as I should, but I do love the teak deck - it's so much easier on these old legs. I had a stress fracture a few years ago from, I believe, all the walking on cobblestones in Europe, and it still bothers me if I walk on really hard surfaces, so the ships' decks are wonderful. DH walks much faster than I do, and laps me regularly, but I try to do at least 10 laps (I count on my fingers, he counts on coins in his pockets, transferring them back and forth) if we're at sea. I like to listen to music, DD fixed me an iPod with the right speed of music for walking.

My late DH and I used to walk Promenade laps most every afternoon and did at least 2 miles. We wore pedometers to keep track of our distance as we always lost track of how many laps we had walked. :)

Seeing we walked lots in various ports, we figured we were getting good daily exercise.

Edited by sail7seas