Is a prom dress okay to wear on formal night?

alaskanheart

This June I will be going on a 12 night Northern European cruise on the Disney Wonder. It's going to be my 7th cruise but it's the first time that I'm considering wearing anything considerably more formal. I know since it's a Disney cruise that there's more of a relaxed, family vibe than a formal one, which leads me to my question: is a prom dress too formal to wear on formal night? I love this dress and I think that this might be a great opportunity to be able to wear it again but I don't want to be overly formal or even overdressed. Here's a picture of the dress for anybody who might be able to give me some insight :) b3a6eb9ec75a51404d49f7c30ea07ccd.jpg

Edited by alaskanheart

To be honest I think that it's too sexy to wear in public. My daughters are nearly 20 and just turned 22 and are far from conservative in their dress ( much of which I have purchased ). I would feel very uncomfortable walking with one of our daughters in that dress as she is being ogled by the crew, teenage boys and their dads.

Edited by Karysa

Nice advert for a first post. Did no one notice the link:rolleyes:

My first thought was that it was from a teen who wanted this dress for prom and was trying to convince their mother that it was an appropriate dress lol or perhaps an economical purchase as it could be worn for prom and for a cruise. :) We very well could be involved in some family drama. :)

My first thought was that it was from a teen who wanted this dress for prom and was trying to convince their mother that it was an appropriate dress lol or perhaps an economical purchase as it could be worn for prom and for a cruise. :) We very well could be involved in some family drama. :)

If that's the case, I doubt if the opinions of some strangers on a social media site such as this will sway the parents into allowing their daughter to wear this dress on their cruise. If this is a legitimate question, and not a not-so-subtle attempt at advertising a web site, as moniquet pointed out, then why didn't the OP post a picture of herself in the dress instead of the stock photo?

Edited by beachbum53

If that's the case, I doubt if the opinions of some strangers on a social media site such as this will sway the parents into allowing their daughter to wear this dress on their cruise. If this is a legitimate question, and not a not-so-subtle attempt at advertising a web site, as moniquet pointed out, then why didn't the OP post a picture of herself in the dress instead of the stock photo?

On the fashion board here on cc the majority of the pics are stock pics and not the poster in the dress. The text in the original post does not support a marketing ploy what-so-ever IMHO.

Edited by Karysa

On the fashion board here on cc the majority of the pics are stock pics and not the poster in the dress. The text in the original post does not support a marketing ploy what-so-ever IMHO.

Go back and take another look at the photo. What do you see in big pink letters across the bottom of the photo? Coincidence, or marketing ploy?

Go back and take another look at the photo. What do you see in big pink letters across the bottom of the photo? Coincidence, or marketing ploy?

I saw it immediately. I'm not in marketing but Disney cruise and this dress just don't go together, not to me at least.

Edited by Karysa

The OP should weigh the dress. It appears to be heavily sequined and possibly beaded. Sometimes these types of dresses weigh 5, 10 even as much as 60 pounds, which would really be a problem since most airlines limit baggage weight to 50 pounds. Most European countries are even more particular about the weight of luggage for your return flight home and only allow one carryon per person, even if you came to Europe with 2 carryons. I recall having to shift a pair of my husband's shoes from his bag to my carryon to get the weight right and then having to take important items out of my carryon to put into my husband's carryon as it turned out, we were only allowed one carryon each for our return trip home and my husband had brought 2 carryons - which included one for his camera equipment and his briefcase containing his computer and IPAD neither of which could be checked so I had to check my carryon, squeeze my purse into his briefcase and put my IPAD and medicine in his briefcase as well. It was a real pain and taught my husband an important lesson about packing light. For Europe, I think the OP would be better off packing something very lightweight for formal night instead and save weight in her suitcase for souvenirs. Overseas travel really requires you to think practically about how you pack. For a 12 night cruise, it's going to require the OP to think very carefully about what to put in the suitcase so that she is under the 50 pound limit. In addition, the sun will not set in Eastern Europe between late May and mid July, which might make wearing such an evening gown seem odd. She will likely need to pack layers for warmth and a raincoat. Here's temperature information:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May: 59/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

St. Petersburg:

May: 59/42 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Stockholm:

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

Many women wear recycled prom dresses and the ubiquitous MoB (Mother of the Bride) dresses for Formal night. Why spend a few hundred dollars or hunt the thrift shops for something to wear for 3 or 4 hours when you have something already in your closet ;)

I'm sure the male population of the ship would appreciate a young woman wearing that dress onboard, even if for a very short time. I know the prom dress style has evolved, but even the rebel, liberal me would not let a daughter of mine wear that dress to a prom!!! It seems fine for a red carpet, though. We had a "celebrity" wedding at our hotel recently. It was black tie. The dress chosen by stylists for their female clients who were guests seemed to be black lace overlaid on a black or neutral slip, anywhere from floor length to a few inches below the butt...

The term "prom dress" suggests something a sixteen or seventeen year old girl would wear to the dance at the school gym. The pictured gown is more like something Kim Kardashian would wear when out clubbing with Kanye.

OP has got to be kidding.

My prom was over 3 decades ago and held in a beautiful ballroom out of town. A prom is not just another high school dance its basically a graduation dance for graduates and their date. I do however feel very much like you in regards to the style of the dress pictured in the original post on this thread.

Might be fine for formal night on a cruise, but a prom dress.....really? Looks like it might be just a little bit too mature and revealing for a "prom". I'm wondering if this post isn't just to garner comments, especially since it's the first post by this person.

Edited by marco