Pinnacle Functions Ending

DP

I am currently on the Allure and have been informed by the Hotel Director that fleetwide there will no longer be functions for just Pinnacle Members that Senior Officers attended.

Has anyone else heard this?

I am currently on the Allure and have been informed by the Hotel Director that fleetwide there will no longer be functions for just Pinnacle Members that Senior Officers attended.

Interesting. Didn't realize there were such functions. :confused: And if there were, it wasn't fleet wide!!

Interesting. Didn't realize there were such functions. :confused: And if there were, it wasn't fleet wide!!

Patti, there have been some functions that we have attended, for Pinnacle Club members only. However, they were at the discretion of the Hotel Director or Captain.

As a small group of Pinnacle Club members, we have enjoyed cocktails and appetizers in both the Hotel Directors quarters and the Captains quarters, but only on select ships.

Also, on the Navigator of the Seas, when she was sailing out of Galveston, the officers would take over a closed section of the Windjammer, and have a special dinner for Pinnacle Club members and full suite guests only.

I have always been under the assumption that these functions are at the sole discretion of the senior officers of that ship. I'm not aware of any function for Pinnacle Club members that is fleet wide.

Rick

I've never really gotten the appeal of meeting the officers. I don't get on a plane and say "Oh boy! I hope I can meet the co-pilot!":confused:

A ship is somewhat different than an airplane, as the officers live on the ship, and may be assigned to the ship for years.

A ship is somewhat different than an airplane, as the officers live on the ship, and may be assigned to the ship for years.

I agree.

I'm not nearly a Pinnacle, so I don't have tons of room to talk on this thread...But I really enjoyed the meet and greet with officers when I was in a suite. We had some great conversations with them. Some people, including me, like to learn about living on the ships, how everything works, etc.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I've never really gotten the appeal of meeting the officers. I don't get on a plane and say "Oh boy! I hope I can meet the co-pilot!":confused:

At least on a ship, when all the senior officers leave their posts to have a drink with the passengers, the ship still floats:):D:eek:

Since we are relatively close to that level it just makes sense that "benefits" are reduced . :) :) :)

It is not a Pinnacle Benefit. It is something that may be done on one ship, but not on all ships. One thing that we have learned is that Royal Caribbean is Consistently Inconsistent.:(

Still not seeing the appeal.

Then perhaps, while you may be a "cruise lover" you are not a "ship lover", as I am, and as are many others. Just your taste and take on things. No harm no foul.

As an aviator, and one who finds ships to be fascinating "creatures" I find it interesting to talk to the officers. There are many others who feel the same.

It's sort of like the story about a ship passenger who is invited to dine at the captain's table, and says: "Why the heck would I want to dine with the bloody crew!"

I guess, if true, the policy will affect some ships more than others. There has been little or no consistency throughout the fleet. Rubrrick mentioned the Navigator and what he said was true up until the time of Robert Taggart's abrupt departure. Then there was nothing. Before then the Captain, HD and F & B manager all hosted a Captains table (on different nights) and typically every pinnacle was invited to at least one of the tables. Several other ships have been equally pinnacle friendly. Often a senior officer would invite all the pinnacles to Chops or Giovanni's for a meal.

RCCL is changing. Some Captains no longer host a Captain's table and are practically invisible to passengers. Miami needs to impose some minimums and if some ships want to exceed them that is fine. If the pinnacles don't get a little massaging there is no reason for them not to explore other cruise lines. Most of them are RCCL's best ambassadors.

Edited by Don Pedro

Having a Captain's Table, either with the Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel Director, etc., is at the sole discretion of that officer.

One Hotel Director (John Denton) loves doing this and hosting other special events. Some captains and other officers find this to be a burden. It all depends on the personalities of the individuals.

Dinner with the Captain, Hotel Director, etc. is actually quite an enjoyable evening. Special invitation, special menu, choice of adult beverages, keepsake photo's of the table and dinnermates, very ecletic tablemates and often diverse conversation. Always a nice perk....:)

Dinner with the Captain, Hotel Director, etc. is actually quite an enjoyable evening. Special invitation, special menu, choice of adult beverages, keepsake photo's of the table and dinnermates, very ecletic tablemates and often diverse conversation. Always a nice perk....:)

Agree 100%

Though "only" D+, we have been blessed with the opportunity. It is truly a highlight of the cruise. My guess is that those who scoff would rapidly change their minds if invited.

There actually still is and will continue to be "functions" for Pinnacle members and others that have accumulated a certain number of days at sea so to speak. Maybe you should clarify or ask again, think you got this one wrong, sorry.

There actually still is and will continue to be "functions" for Pinnacle members and others that have accumulated a certain number of days at sea so to speak. Maybe you should clarify or ask again, think you got this one wrong, sorry.

Perhaps, but I recently heard the same thing from another pinnacle member who was also on the Allure..

Totally agree with you. When we attend the "top tier" events and the officers are lining up as we enter I just nod my head and say hello because of all the germs from shaking all the hands. We go to the events for the appetizers, free drinks and stay a little while to hear if there is anything new, i.e. ships or itineraries, etc.

Have fun cruising!

Why do you believe they are wrong?