Do you wear a lanyard?

kids-n-kitties

We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter (am there now) and yesterday the Grand Princess was in our local port for the day. DW and I were sitting on the beach during the afternoon and noticed a group of cruisers (they are usually quite obvious) walking on the nearby Malecon (our local boardwalk). DW said, "look at that lady, she is on her first Princess cruise." We knew this because she was walking around Puerto Vallarta with her cruise card (blue...which means first cruise) hanging from her lanyard. Of course every vendor, taxi driver and store also knew she was a first time cruiser and one can surmise that prices would be higher for her then some other folks :). In Mexico many things are negotiable, and cruisers are often seen as somewhat "ez" since they do not always understand the normal local prices. In a sense, having that lanyard marked that woman...and not necessarily in a positive way.

So you folks that do wear your cruise cards might want to either tuck them under your shirt/blouse or put them away when you are off the ship.

Hank

Just recently gave in and started doing the lanyard. I didn't want the kids losing their card keys and I myself did not want to walk around with my purse or wallet. So the lanyard it is. I got a nice one in Vegas ($10), I was traveling for work and they had crystal looking ones in different colors. Also found them on Amazon for cheaper.

The kids get the soda package so they need their cards on them.

If taking photos, I take the lanyard off.

My husband just keeps his in his pocket, and sometimes my oldest son just keeps his in his pocket. It's fine as long as the cards can't fall out (zipper or button on pocket required).

It's kind of cheesy, but I don't wear a badge for work, so it doesn't bother me to do it while on vacation.

I do. Then I dont have to worry about carrying it when I'm going out on deck to tan or hit the hot tub. Once out on deck I wrap it around my shoes when tanning or in hot tub. I also use one with a clip so that it is easy to disconnect to swipe for pop or to get in the room. In regards to pictures I just take it off if I want it to be a "nice" picture, other than that I just leave it on.

My boyfriend doesn't wear his.

I do. Then I dont have to worry about carrying it when I'm going out on deck to tan or hit the hot tub. Once out on deck I wrap it around my shoes when tanning or in hot tub. I also use one with a clip so that it is easy to disconnect to swipe for pop or to get in the room. In regards to pictures I just take it off if I want it to be a "nice" picture, other than that I just leave it on.

Same here - not sure if this was mentioned earlier but Disney gives you one upon check-in starting on your 2nd cruise (for Silver Gold & Plat Members) going forward but for our first cruise I bought a nicer one that has a Velcro closure and holds additional credit cards etc. so I use that for every cruise.

Edited by carterd2002

• 2 weeks later...

Beware, those lanyards can kill you....literally. This morning in our local newspaper ("The Patriot News) there is a story about an 86 year old lady who was found dead in her New Cumberland, PA home. She had tripped, fell down, and caught her lanyard (which had a medical alert tag). The lanyard actually strangled her to death. The coroner determined that her lanyard caught on her walker as she fell. Here is a link to the story:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/03/personal_alert_deaths_medical.html

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You will never see one of those lanyards around my neck. :D :D I really don't care for them. :o

Same here. The last time I wore anything around my neck other than a neck tie was 49 years ago while in the Army (for my 'dog tags').

You will never see one of those lanyards around my neck. :D :D I really don't care for them. :o

Same here, have to wear one all day at work, don't want to make my cruise feel like work.:)

Same here, have to wear one all day at work, don't want to make my cruise feel like work.:)

Shorts, t-shirt and flip flops is my work attire. So I guess being on a cruise is like going to work for me. ;)

Thanks for that John.:(

Our director at work announced they were having casual Friday at the office for those that come in. Then he added, "For those WFH (work from home), carry on as normal in your pajamas"