Ripped Off by Celebrity

Corvette

We booked a TA last year while on a TA and thought the deal was pretty good. There were only a few cabins left when we booked so ended up on Deck 7 partially obstructed balcony. A couple of perks, i.e. gratuities included and $100 from Celebrity. We are Elite Plus members. Yesterday better balcony cabins were selling at 1/2 the cost that we paid with no perks. Celebrity only offered to us to be moved to the Concierge cabin and we had to give up our perks. In the end they just moved us on Deck 7 to an unobstructed view cabin. I just had to vent because I think they do not treat repeat customers well. We asked for some free internet as well and the answer was no and this would not have cost them anything. I will never book on the ship again.

If you received ANY perks for a TA, then I'd say you were doing quite well. Usually perks are not offered whatsoever.

Prices dropping after final payment isn't unusual. Celebrity has to sell these cabins. But I can understand your frustration. In the past we've been in the same situation.

We booked a TA last year while on a TA and thought the deal was pretty good. There were only a few cabins left when we booked so ended up on Deck 7 partially obstructed balcony. A couple of perks, i.e. gratuities included and $100 from Celebrity. We are Elite Plus members. Yesterday better balcony cabins were selling at 1/2 the cost that we paid with no perks. Celebrity only offered to us to be moved to the Concierge cabin and we had to give up our perks. In the end they just moved us on Deck 7 to an unobstructed view cabin. I just had to vent because I think they do not treat repeat customers well. We asked for some free internet as well and the answer was no and this would not have cost them anything. I will never book on the ship again.

I fail to see how you were "Ripped Off". You purchased a cruise, in a cabin, for a price that you were willing to pay. We all know that the prices and the perks fluctuate - so sometimes we hit it when it is in our favor and sometimes we don't.

Had the cost of the cruise increased, were you prepared to write a check? The fact that they moved you, and offered an upgrade to CC, it seems they were quite reasonable.

Prices dropping after final payment isn't unusual. Celebrity has to sell these cabins. But I can understand your frustration. In the past we've been in the same situation.

And every cruise line does the same thing, so this is not unique to Celebrity. The moral of the story is wait until after final payment if you want a shot at the best prices but also understand you'll be dealing with what's left in the room inventory and there's no guarantee that the prices will drop.

If you are Elite Plus, you get a fairly good amount of internet.

And your complaint is one of the reasons that RCCL and X are doing everything they can to avoid last minute discounts and muddy the waters with different promotions that are not combinable. Thanks a lot.

You were not ripped off. This has been the rule for years. people who book at the last minute do not get dining choice, entertainment choice, cabin choice. They often pay higher airfare, which speaking of airfare try to get a price adjustment from the airlines. If you did not like the price when you booked you should not have booked.

We are on a similar cruise with the same perks. If I has chosen to do so I could have cancelled a few days ago and lost my deposit and perks. I could then have booked an Aqua class cabin and saved a few dollars. i also was offered an Aqua cabin as an upgrade but lost the perks (worth about $500). There is no rifoff as you thought when you booked (me too!) we got a good deal. Think you have forgotten it just as easily could have gone the other way and prices risen. Aqua cabins on our cruise were about $1200 for a QTY and yesterday $1800. Today they are sold out so prices change.

Guess my big question to you is if you book a "cheap" airline fare you are locked in. No refund, no changes, miss the plane too bad. Are you getting ripped off if the fare drops $200? Absolutely not because you knew the rules when you booked. The price drop costs you nothing. frustrating - absolutely YES. A rip off - Absolutely NOT.

And every cruise line does the same thing, so this is not unique to Celebrity. The moral of the story is wait until after final payment if you want a shot at the best prices but also understand you'll be dealing with what's left in the room inventory and there's no guarantee that the prices will drop.

Exactly. We book TA's while onboard a cruise every year. We do it to get the cabin of our choice. The fares are high, but we usually have a couple of price drops before final payment. But we are well aware of how Celebrity drastically reduces their fares, right after final payment. Currently, for our upcoming TA, our category is sold out, so we don't have that issue.

...I don't think so. If you book early, you have a much better chance of getting what cabin you want, of course, at a higher price. If you wait until a few weeks before the cruise date, the price most likely will drop. Any cruise line wants to leave with a full complement of cabins. An empty cabin doesn't generate any funds. And did you say, they booked a concierge cabin for you? Holy Moly, what a great upgrade; we've had a couple cruises where we had a concierge cabin, it was fantastic, what's wrong with that?:eek:

cruisinnannie beat me to it. I, too, was wondering why you wanted more Internet. The perks you received in the beginning were quite generous for a TA. Try not to start your cruise with the feeling that you have been ripped off, rather, thank Celebrity and your lifestyle that allows you to cruise. Many do not have this privilege. Please enjoy your cruise.

I will join the group that does not think you were ripped off. TAs offer few perks for booking on board or booking at home. Isn't you disappointment more with when you booked and not where you booked. If you are willing to wait until after final payment you can possible find better deals, but certainly not always.

You paid for a partially obstructed cabin and they moved you for no additional cost to a regular cbalcony cabin and you were able to maintain your OBC and free gratuities. Not too bad of a deal.

You could have given up your on board booking "perks" and moved to a Concierge Class at no additional costs?

Seems fair to me.

And being Elite + you have a lot of experience with how things are on bookings with Celebrity. This is nothing different than it has been for the sailings that got you your 700 points now is it. Sorry, just cant feel sorry fo ya.

My thought too. How can anyone reach Elite + without understanding how things work?

I fail to see how you were "Ripped Off". You purchased a cruise, in a cabin, for a price that you were willing to pay. We all know that the prices and the perks fluctuate - so sometimes we hit it when it is in our favor and sometimes we don't.

Well said. This is how it goes on every cruise you book. Prices fluctuate, simple supply and demand. There was nothing different with the handling of this one. I just don't understand your complaint.

Not sure I understand. Celebrity put the few empty cabins left on sale

You want to book early to make sure you get a cabin? But you also want the sale fare Celebrity offers late in the game on empty cabins? Not the deal on offer.

Your choices are book early and pay what you think is a good deal at the time, or wait to book and maybe you get a cabin at a better price and maybe you don't. And maybe you get a cabin on that cruise for a higher price. And maybe you don't get a cabin at all.

Someone in a different venue complained recently their local coffee place sometimes offers special deals on coffee plus pastry, but always after 9:30am when she's already at work. Ticked off and cranky that the place never offers the deal at 7:00am when she's in there along with a mob of other customers.

Not sure I understand. Celebrity put the few empty cabins left on sale

You want to book early to make sure you get a cabin? But you also want the sale fare Celebrity offers late in the game on empty cabins? Not the deal on offer.

Your choices are book early and pay what you think is a good deal at the time, or wait to book and maybe you get a cabin at a better price and maybe you don't. And maybe you get a cabin on that cruise for a higher price. And maybe you don't get a cabin at all.

Someone in a different venue complained recently their local coffee place sometimes offers special deals on coffee plus pastry, but always after 9:30am when she's already at work. Ticked off and cranky that the place never offers the deal at 7:00am when she's in there along with a mob of other customers.

Don't tell her about the half-price deal on the stale pastry at the end of the day! "Why can't I have it fresh and half-off???"

We asked for some free internet as well and the answer was no and this would not have cost them anything.

"Free internet" is a misconception, arising from the fact that there's nothing physically tangible. There's X (no pun intended) amount of bandwidth available. More internet takers slows it down for everyone (slower than it is now, that is.) Supply and demand at work. If there were truly no "cost", there would be no reason not to offer it free to everybody. Various Wi-Fi hotspots can offer free internet because they don't have 2000-3000 people potentially trying to get online at the same time, not to mention that they are connected conventionally and not via satellite.

The day may come when a cruise line offers unlimited internet as a standard perk (maybe some do already, I don't know) but that's not the case yet.

I've got a couple of cruises upcoming...For my cruise in three weeks on Silhouette, I originally booked a 2B with two "perks"...and I've watched the prices very carefully...Of course, I know that prices may drop BUT some of those deals may NOT include the same perks. Very recently, the price of a Concierge cabin on my cruise dropped to $50 LESS per person than my rate on the 2B. Having cruised many, many times, and having dealt with Celebrity on various price drops many times, I know that I could have jumped on that price drop and renegotiated my deal...HOWEVER, that price, at $50 less than mine, did NOT include those same two perks...So, of course, in reality, it was a case of apples and oranges. If I switched to the Concierge cabin on the new offer, I knew I would have to give up my perks. You just don't get the best of both worlds...ever. When Celebrity makes those "Free drinks and gratuities" sort of deals, the freebies aren't really free--they are merely included in the price you are paying. When they drop the price, they often still offer a price WITH the perks--it is just a few hundred dollars higher...You never get the lower price with the costly perks.

So, when my prices appeared to drop, they really didn't. The choice was to talk the Concierge cabin with the slightly lower price and NO PERKS or to remain in my 2B with a slightly higher price and free drinks and free gratuities--pretty much a no brainer for me...Not only do I not find the concierge extras worth much above the standard balcony, but, when I booked my 2B, I was able to snag a nice midship location while the remaining available CC cabins were extreme fore or aft.

I am guessing your decision was pretty much the same...

OTOH, moving you from an obstructed view to an unobstructed view--without increasing your price or losing your perks-- was a MAJOR plus. You should be THANKING Celebrity, not ripping them...

Check again. When I went to the Celebrity website today, I saw this promo: "A LIMITED TIME, CHOOSE TWO FREE PERKS FOR A SAVINGS OF UP TO $2150 WHEN YOU JOIN US ON ALMOST ANY CRUISE." Maybe you can get the Concierge Cabin with the same perks?

I sort of understand that it is just a bit annoying when you found the same room you purchased at a much better price ... but also know there are no guarantees that is the direction it was going to go.

Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose .... and most times we win. I purchased an inside cabin on my last cruise so nowhere to go but up!! Boy, were we able to score an incredible upgrade for next to nothing. This next cruise, pricing has gone down, down, down since final payment but think I would lose all my perks if I jumped on it. Oh well, guess it all evens out in the long run. I am happy enough with the pricing I received and do hope to possibly get upgraded but can tell you, I will be happy right there in the room I originally booked. My DH keeps telling me, if you are past final payment or purchase a non-refundable trip ... just stop looking! It will only lead to disappointment. Advice to live by, for sure. :)

Edited by Cruise Raider