Anthem of the seas is headed back to Cape Liberty now due to a storm

lazeyey

We are on this ship also it has been great so far and the food has been very good. The size of the lobster tails in the grande were very large and no limit.

Yes disappointing cruise cut short due to the storm and yes want to be safe , that being said couldn't we extend the cruise a few days to be sure storm passes, suppose it doesn't? Talking about a forecast for Wednesday and we all know how the weather can change.

The person who posted a level for Niro virus, where did you hear that?

They are cleaning like I never saw on any cruise I've been on.

Again disappointed but oh god please get us home safe!

Your cruise couldn't be extended - passengers are booked on Friday for a 3 day cruise returning on Monday AND they must reach Halifax during that cruise.

I am north of you. Why would anyone want to sail in this dierction on a cruise ship at this time of the year?:confused::confused::eek:

We don't - when originally booked it was a cruise to nowhere - I foolishly assumed it would either go south or out and back. Then the "rules" changed. Had to hit a foreign port - therefore going north to Halifax.

Got the trip for a steal with a DO booking - then Royal started practically giving balcony's away with a guarantee. Was able to do the guarantee at no additional cost and ended up with a D7.

Main purpose is to see the ship - no port to disembark. Not thrilled about the weather or going North - but....its a great price. So we stuck with it. We will see how this all turns out.

I think you can relax a little bit. You already know that there are cases of Noro on the ship and you know that precautions are being taken. People who have compromised immune systems know how to be cautious in any environment where there are lots of other people, so they will take appropriate measures to protect themselves as well. This is simply a fact of life for anyone who must take an immunosuppressing drug. We also know that 80% of Noro outbreaks occur between Nov and April every year, so I imagine this fact impacts the times when people with fragile medical conditions or immuneosuppressing prescriptions cruise and fly on airplanes.

I'm not sure why you think CDC "records" would be helpful to the passengers. The only records are the reports of cases made by ships to the CDC and the procedures being followed to contain the outbreak. Ships participate in something called the VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) and you've already noticed that VSP procedures are being followed on Anthem.

Cruise ships are required to log and report to VSP the number of passengers and crew members that say they have symptoms of GI illness. Ships are also required to keep a list of all passengers and crew members that have requested antidiarrheal medication. These statistics help determine the effectiveness of the sanitizing measures taken to control the spread of the virus. Anthem has obviously followed the regs and reported the number of cases on a daily basis since the first one occurred on your cruise. The crew, by your report, is following the VSP procedures.

I wish that schools were subject to something like the VSP requirements of cruise ships!:eek: My granddaughter's school closed for 2 days last year in Feb because such a high percentage of children and teachers had Noro. They've already had an outbreak this year, but it only affected about 5% of the school so they didn't close. I wish they followed the same kind of sanitizing procedures in schools that they do on ships.

Judy

One of the nursing homes by me had a lock down, residents had to stay in their rooms and no visitors, for 2 weeks because of Noro, a few weeks ago. This is the time of the year.

Hm....can a thread about a delay in departure of the next cruise be far away? Well, it's a just a three day sailing going north in early March - what could possibly go wrong.......

Icebergs as in the Titanic! :D

In early April 2012 we did a TA from NYC to Southampton with a port stop in Halifax. Leaving that port the ship had to divert south to avoid icebergs and packed ice flows. This was just before the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking.

iceberg.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Those news stories are just unfolding over the past 24 hours...

Good grief...stalking not enough? :rolleyes:

Don't be surprised if you don't get many replies - with your kinds of posts you'll make a lot of folks' ignore list.:cool:

A question for the experts, some people are saying that passengers should be allowed to stay on the ship in Bayonne and use it as a floating hotel. Would that even be possible? Bayonne is the start/end of the cruise, not a port of call. I'm thinking there are likely different port regulations but I could be wrong.

A question for the experts, some people are saying that passengers should be allowed to stay on the ship in Bayonne and use it as a floating hotel. Would that even be possible? Bayonne is the start/end of the cruise, not a port of call. I'm thinking there are likely different port regulations but I could be wrong.

Why woukd that not be possible? I can't think of any law against it. Other itineraries have this sort of arrangement with an overnight at start or end ports.

I think they are referencing the next itinerary, a 3 day cruise heading north to no where with a quickie Canadian stop for legal reasons.

Well then, that is the reason. CTNs are no longer allowed, so they have to make at least one stop in a foreign port. Canada is the only place than can go since the Conch Republic is too far away.

We are saddened by returning however are having a great time. The captain is only turning around for weather. He showed it on our tv last night the storm that is brewing. Has nothing to do with virus. That is a rumor. We are serving ourselves at windjammer. Staff is awesome and will come back. 3 days at sea. Yeah. Already received my credit. And just like the end to a cruise people must leave the ship. No big deal. We are sick of hearing the negativity on board. And are trying to spread positive thoughts.

Nice to hear from someone that is actually on the ship instead of all these "experts" behind their computer spreading rumors. :rolleyes::)

Well then, that is the reason. CTNs are no longer allowed, so they have to make at least one stop in a foreign port. Canada is the only place than can go since the Conch Republic is too far away.

I know why the ship is doing it. My question to the person I quoted was looking for the appeal of booking this cruise. I was already provided with an answer. It is too bad that Bermuda doesn't take cruise ships this time of year.

I think it is unappealing enough to have to cruise for 1-2 days from NJ to get to warm weather during this time of year. But to take a cruise that is never going to hit warm weather.....:eek:

Edited by Ocean Boy

I know why the ship is doing it. My question to the person I quoted was looking for the appeal of booking this cruise. I was already provided with an answer. It is too bad that Bermuda doesn't take cruise ships this time of year.

I think it is unappealing enough to have to cruise for 1-2 days from NJ to get to warm weather during this time of year. But to take a cruise that is never going to hit warm weather.....:eek:

People who book CTN's aren't looking for warm weather. Most are looking for a weekend getaway. Plus,on Anthem there are two indoor pools and lots of other indoor activities. If you're looking for a getaway to warm weather, I highly doubt you would book a 3 day CTN out of NJ in March.

Edited by BND

I am not a complainer. My reference to cdc records was because it appears that RCCL has not been honest to the passengers as to the seriousness and number of Norovirus cases. There is a huge difference between 50 and 60 and 400-600. For a person that needs to take extra precautions, that is important.

Promenade Cafe you have to ask for teabags and sugar. Solarium Bistro you can help yourself.

I realize this stuff happens. I realize we can't control the weather.

We can control our honesty.

I have not complained about food, service, etc.

We have been very fortunate with our meals, our state room attendant, and the

great weather thus far.

It is not fun to see people having bowel accidents or vomitting. It does take away from our last few days.

Emailed the president?? Wowsers... I understand that you are in a less than ideal situation. However, I can assure you that the president of a multi billion dollar corporation has far more important things to do than yield the customer complaints. This is what the chain of command is for. Did you ever approach the stateroom attendant before going above their head? IF so and nothing changed, at that point is when you would address the supervisor and so on working your way up. I'm not quite sure the reasoning on emailing the head honcho of a company before first having your issue attempted to be resolved on the ship. Are you sure you are upset about the other situations on this ship and now are looking for a scape goat for your rath? The attendant will probably be fired. Is that going to make you feel better?

Every 'Murican is a CEO-in-training and their fellow CEOs need to take care of them. They are tremendous and great customers, and do yuuuuge business with RC.

Keep doing your thing OP. If they don't respond the way you want, just make your complaint 10 pages longer.

Make 'Murica great again.

Edited by vxr

People who book CTN's aren't looking for warm weather. Most are looking for a weekend getaway. Plus,on Anthem there are two indoor pools and lots of other indoor activities. If you're looking for a getaway to warm weather, I highly doubt you would book a 3 day CTN out of NJ in March.

I highly doubt that I would book any cruise out of NJ in March.

I am not a complainer. My reference to cdc records was because it appears that RCCL has not been honest to the passengers as to the seriousness and number of Norovirus cases. There is a huge difference between 50 and 60 and 400-600. For a person that needs to take extra precautions, that is important.

Promenade Cafe you have to ask for teabags and sugar. Solarium Bistro you can help yourself.

I realize this stuff happens. I realize we can't control the weather.

We can control our honesty.

I have not complained about food, service, etc.

We have been very fortunate with our meals, our state room attendant, and the

great weather thus far.

It is not fun to see people having bowel accidents or vomitting. It does take away from our last few days.

First I've heard a number like 400-600 GI cases. Is this a number given by senior staff onboard?

No. That is the problem of the lack of accurate communication.

Senior management does not discuss the number.

According to staff, we are at highest level of sanitation due to

the number of cases.

We are hearing and seeing the illness around the ship.

Just be honest about the severity of the outbreak.

the number of cases.

Even if there were only 10 cases....it would be at the highest level. This is how you prevent it from spreading like wild fire....so that statement is false.

What staff member told you? ...... your cabin steward..a bus boy? Who? I am sure the staff has STRICT orders that they are not to discuss this with any pax. Just curious

Edited by champagne123
vvvvvvvvv......

the number of cases.

What would you rationally do differently depending on the reporting you're looking for? They are taking all of the precautions for broad-control of infections. You're responsible for individual precautions. Are you seriously not doing something now that you would suddenly start doing in response to more reporting, despite them making it clear there is a problem by undertaking VSP? Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are absolutely correct. I am on the 3 night sailing next Friday. I was not looking for warm weather, but just a brief getaway in the middle of winter. And it also gives me the opportunity to check out the new Anthem.

When was Royal Caribbean absolutely honest and forthcoming about anything? They have a reputation for lack of transparency. Many people know this..... I have trouble accepting any statement coming from the Corporate Office in Miami and "Honest Abe" the Cruise Director. I know the Royal Caribbean diehards will protest this..... And they will continue to defend RC no matter what - in order to purchase the "cheap seats"

My bet is Royal Caribbean is desperately trying to downplay the Noro Virus outbreak with a cover up about the "weather" They cannot afford any more adverse publicity for this ship.

You are absolutely correct. I am on the 3 night sailing next Friday. I was not looking for warm weather, but just a brief getaway in the middle of winter. And it also gives me the opportunity to check out the new Anthem.

Ditto! I live in Fort Lauderdale - if I wanted to sit in the sun, I would walk outside. I very rarely can do a cruise over 3-4 days and this was my only opportunity to check out a Quantum class. I don't care if I'm wearing a snowsuit to do it. Plus, travel can also be an adventure.

When was Royal Caribbean absolutely honest and forthcoming about anything? They have a reputation for lack of transparency. Many people know this..... I have trouble accepting any statement coming from the Corporate Office in Miami and "Honest Abe" the Cruise Director. I know the Royal Caribbean diehards will protest this..... And they will continue to defend RC no matter what - in order to purchase the "cheap seats"

My bet is Royal Caribbean is desperately trying to downplay the Noro Virus outbreak with a cover up about the "weather" They cannot afford any more adverse publicity for this ship.

What does that mean?:confused: