Sagrada Familia in Barcelona

Mura

60 Minutes tonight is doing a segment on the Sagrada Familia. (As I write it's over.) But if you have cable you should be able to find a re-run. I'm really directing this message to people who haven't seen the church before but will be in Barcelona soon.

We first were there in 2005 when it was mostly just a construction area inside. We were there again around 2013 when it had already been officially consecrated. By this time it was pretty much finished but not entirely (well, at that time they were projecting a "To Done" date of 2026.

We had been there a few years earlier (2010?) when we planned on visiting but when we arrived by cab the line for admittance was about 2 blocks long, so we had the cab turn around and we went elsewhere!

When we were there in 2013 we paid for a membership at the Cathedral which gets you free admission (an especially good deal for seniors) and you can jump the line. We discovered then that they wanted you to have your photo I.D. -- which we did not, it was safely in the hotel safe -- but they let us in anyway after a lot of pleading.

If you go I highly recommend a tour of the "museum".

And I highly recommending buying that membership. <amics@sagradafamilia.org>

We will be in Barcelona in October but we are only planning on arriving in time to board the ship the next day (and I'm still not secure about our flight reservations) so I don't know if we will try to return to the cathedral or not. But if we do, I'll renew my membership.

Some of these crowds depend on how many ships are in port. I think when the line was that long there were at least 5 ships in port, some of them megaships. If you are visiting on your own, you might not have such a problem.

But I DO recommend a vist to any of the Gaudi sites. There are quite a few in Barcelona and they are all worth visiting. Among our favorites are Park Guell (a bit out of town but easily arrived at by bus), Casa Mila and Casa Battlo.

If you want further details of our experience (none of which is later than 2013), please email me.

But if you are new to Barcelona you definitely want to see at least one of the Gaudi sites.

Mura

I just saw the 60 Minute presentation. I have been there 3 times, and I learn something each time. I agree with Mura, find the rerun and watch it.

My husband was an architect, and he said during his studies he had seen more cathedrals than he would ever want to see,but after visiting the Sagrada Familia, he didn't want to leave as there was so much to see and reflect on.

Spindrift, on our first visit to Barcelona (with Renaissance in October 1999) we had a ship's tour transferring us from the ship to our hotel. We stopped by the Cathedral although we weren't able to go in. From the very beginning I just thought that Gaudi was a total nut. (Well, that may be a bit extreme.)

But in 2005 when we visited Casa Battlo and later when we toured the Cathedral, we were blown away by this man's genius.

On our first visit to the Cathedral (when the sanctuary area was mainly a few pillars and lots of building materials scattered around) we spent most of our time in the "exhibit" area. I reiterate -- definitely worth a visit!

We have since visited just about every Gaudi site there is in Barcelona. ALL very well worth a visit.

Mura

We have since visited just about every Gaudi site there is in Barcelona. ALL very well worth a visit.

Mura

Mura,

Have you visited the Palau Guell?

http://palauguell.cat/come-palace & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palau_G%C3%BCell

It was opened relatively recentlyto public. If not, try to see it next time to "complete" your list of Gaudi sites in Barcelona.

We have 2 nights, 1.5 days in Barcelona and in August and plan to only revisit our favorite Gaudi sites- but there is not enough time, I know. We loved them so much in 2012 and I wish I could go back in time and meet the man.

Thanks Mura for the tips on revisiting the Sagrado Familia. I will look at the best fast track options.

Bev

I was there in January and the inside is almost finished now. It's an incredible place and I have visited it over the years and watched it develop. The stained glass windows are beautiful. My friend wanted to pray in a quiet area and she was given access to a small and delightful chapel by a lovely gentleman. She spent some time alone there with her thoughts, while I wandered around taking photo's of the stained glass windows.

The queue was short in January but it still took 20 mins to get in. Good advice to book online if you can. The shop at Sagrada Familia is definitely a cut above other souvenir shops too. I think this is one of the "must see" sites of Barcelona.

We have 2 nights, 1.5 days in Barcelona and in August and plan to only revisit our favorite Gaudi sites- but there is not enough time, I know. We loved them so much in 2012 and I wish I could go back in time and meet the man.

Thanks Mura for the tips on revisiting the Sagrado Familia. I will look at the best fast track options.

Bev

At this time, the best way to fast track your entry is to go online to buy a timed entry. Here's the URL for ticket purchases:

http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/tickets/

There are five ticket options: Basic, Guided, Audio Tours, Panoramic Views, and Gaudi's Life and Work.

Begin by specifying the preferred date. Then, scan down the page to the choice of time slots. At least for both Basic and Audio tickets, the entries are timed at 15-minute intervals.

As others have pointed out, joining the Cathedral is no longer an option for non-residents.

FYI

Membership is no longer available for non residents.

They didn't even let us renew.

Thanks for that update. They did send me a renewal notice at my one year anniversary but that was probably a couple of years ago. Too bad -- it was a nice perk!

Mura

Mura,

Have you visited the Palau Guell?

http://palauguell.cat/come-palace & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palau_G%C3%BCell

It was opened relatively recentlyto public. If not, try to see it next time to "complete" your list of Gaudi sites in Barcelona.

I think we did but I can't be positive -- would need to check my diary. I do remember touring one site that was "under construction". I think that was it, but maybe it was something else.

Hah, I just checked the map and it looks like it WAS the Palau that we visited. But we could only visit one or two floors at that time so it would be worth another visit.

Mura

Such a great place. I first saw it in 1970, so you can imagine how much had changed when we went there in 2013. The original entrance and Nativity facade were there back then, and the interior was just a construction site. We were happy to see the interior looking completely finished, with all that lovely detail. Would love to go back in 2026 to see the final spires completely, but that's probably not in the cards for me, I'll be 78.

Thanks for mentioning the 60 Minutes segment. We recorded it last night; but haven't watched it yet. We were most impressed when we visited last year at how much progress had been made since our first visit in 2003. Thank goodness we took everyone's advice and got the tickets in advance, since the lines were ridiculously long. I took so many photos of it for our review. As is normal, my wife said I put in too many photos. :D So here are some for those that haven't been able to visit this gorgeous place.

EqBar-0876.jpg

EqBar-0952.jpg

EqBar-0865.jpg

At this time, the best way to fast track your entry is to go online to buy a timed entry. Here's the URL for ticket purchases:

http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/tickets/

There are five ticket options: Basic, Guided, Audio Tours, Panoramic Views, and Gaudi's Life and Work.

We were there in 2014 and it was spectacular. The timed-entry tickets worked perfectly. I got them on-line before we left home. When we got to the cathedral the main entry line streched for blocks. We walked around to the Nativity entrance and got in a short line about 15 minutes before our timed entry. When the time came the guard called and we walked right in. Picked up an audio played which guided us through the cathedral and was keyed to numbered points on the map. We were also able to go up one of the towers for a marvelous view of Barcelona and a close-up of the construction going on up top. You can climb the narrow circular stairs up the tower if you have the stamina. We chose to take the elevator up and then we walked down (elevator both ways if you wish). A site (sight?) not to be missed.

It looks like it was moved to the port information area, specifically Spanish ports. Which does make sense, but since many Oceania cruises go to Barcelona it could be of general interest ... which is why I posted it here.

If you click on the "moved" part it will take you to the thread.

Mura

We will be sailing on Celebrity Reflection in 2017 with an overnight call in Barcelona. Thanks for the link for pre-purchasing tix. There are at least 8 of us sailing together, so it looks like we will be able to book a guided tour for just us!

Thank you everyone for posting such informative information on Barcelona. We've been debating whether to use a paid guide around the city for a 1/2 day introduction or not but seeing info. like this allows us to book on our own. Much appreciated!

Thank you everyone for posting such informative information on Barcelona. We've been debating whether to use a paid guide around the city for a 1/2 day introduction or not but seeing info. like this allows us to book on our own. Much appreciated!

Consider the Hop On Hop Off bus (Bus Turistic) - good commentary and will take you by all the major sites. Main departure point is from the Placa de Catalunya which is just off the end of the Ramblas.

Barcelona is a fabulous city. I never tire of visiting there.

Hate to be a technical spoil sport as I love the Sagrada Familia and am planning a repeat visit this spring, but it is not a cathedral. A cathedral is the seat of a bishop and Barcelona already has one, which is itself worthy of a visit.

SF is designated as a Basilica. Size of the building is not the defining factor.

Hate to be a technical spoil sport as I love the Sagrada Familia and am planning a repeat visit this spring, but it is not a cathedral. A cathedral is the seat of a bishop and Barcelona already has one, which is itself worthy of a visit.

SF is designated as a Basilica. Size of the building is not the defining factor.

Not a spoil sport at all! Facts about architecture, history, culture are quite interesting and helpful to many travelers! Thank you for pointing out the difference...some people might not be interested but quite a lot might very well be - gothic architecture & the reasons (religious and otherwise) behind it are truly fascinating. Cheers :)

Edited by Host Bonjour

I agree. When you first posted about the difference I recalled, "yes, of course". I don't know if I had referred to it as a Cathedral. I may well have. I know others did.

Information is always good. It doesn't have to be called nitpicking.

Mura