Gift Exchange Ideas?

Rob1966

Hi,

I am signed up for a gift exchange on my next cruise, something we've never participated in before.

I would love to hear from others on what gifts they received and gave just so I can get an idea of what to buy :)

The price should be no more than 10-15 Dollars.

thanks

Rob

Hi I agree , something relating to where you are from. I am originally from Scarborough, and made up a package of fridge magnet of "the Castle" and some booklets about the area around, and a tea towel with the words of Scarborough Fair on it.

In return I received a little bag from a Deep South of the USA lady with a recipe book on how to make Mint Juleps (I think) and a special glass for it and some of the ingredients. Everyone seemed to take something from their own area. Very interesting.

Enjoy it whatever,

Nancy

Hi,

I am signed up for a gift exchange on my next cruise, something we've never participated in before.

I would love to hear from others on what gifts they received and gave just so I can get an idea of what to buy :) Rob

I always try to find a gift from a Canadian Cruise Critic member, and hope they brought maple syrup as a gift. ;)

Our gift exchange was limited to gifts of $10 or less, but clearly some people went over that. Our gift was from Australia and included pens, keychains and a packet of biscuits popular in Australia.

Most people tried to give something that was related to their home.

I don't participate as I have no interest in local calendars or sports stuff. Just beyond the stage of life where we want souveniers

If it was all consumables I would.. local food treats!!

Now what to do with the quart of maple syrup I have packed and ready for my cruise next weekend???

I once got a small bottle of ice wine... :)

Just bring something from home. What would a tourist buy if they visited you? A hat? A keychain? Food (cookies/candy) is always fun.

I'm from Maine and brought a stuffed lobster (toy, not baked!). The roll call kept asking me if I was bringing lobster... I couldn't resist.

Avoid items with team and university logos. Being from Cleveland I can't imagine anyone would want a Browns item!

In the past I've given dvds of Cleveland themed tv shows and movies and cds of our orchestra. Wine from our local vineyard or Buckeye Chocolates (look like the buckeye nut) are items I'd love to bring one of these times.

Received a sampling of small items from an Australian cc member and a well-made German corkscrew in the exchanges I've participated.

I gave a bum bag with a white Yorkshire rose on it and received a mug from Canada.

As you are from UK, remember you need to watch the weight in your suitcase( I assume you are cruising soon and therefore flying)

How do you sign up for a gift exchange? Is it the same as roll call?

It's however someone on your roll call is setting it up.

Normally, there's a table at your M&G/M&M where those who wish to participate put their wrapped gift. The gift exchange is done at the end of the get together.

I always give a Tervis Tumbler. It is an insulated glass which can hold hot or cold drinks. I love mine and take it on every cruise. They are nice to keep your drinks cold around the pool etc.

I live at the beach so I usually buy one with a palm tree or beach design on it.

Everyone either male or female can use it.

Edited by nat9511

I have participated a few times. Being from NJ, I brought salt water taffy from Atlantic City. Think of something that is made in your location. Hats, scarves, and key fobs with a local design are favorites. I have a hat from Kuaui which I got one time.

Hi,

I would love to hear from others on what gifts they received and gave just so I can get an idea of what to buy :)

The price should be no more than 10-15 Dollars.

thanks

Rob

Please explain to me why you would want to exchange gifts with total strangers that have absolutely no idea who you are or what you might like. I just don't get it. For example, one respondent from NJ suggested salt water taffy. If they gave that to me, I would have to toss it in the trash as I have diabetes and should not eat candy. Another respondent mentioned Canadian maple syrup. Same thing.

Get my point?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Please explain to me why you would want to exchange gifts with total strangers that have absolutely no idea who you are or what you might like. I just don't get it. For example, one respondent from NJ suggested salt water taffy. If they gave that to me, I would have to toss it in the trash as I have diabetes and should not eat candy. Another respondent mentioned Canadian maple syrup. Same thing.

Get my point?

DON

By the time our Panama Canal cruise during Christmas/New Year arrived, many on our roll call knew alot about each other, joined private arranged tours by members of roll call and found some things in common. The gift exchange was totally optional.

It happened at the end the our meet and greet.

I gave a cotton bar towel of with the map of my state and a local dice game called Ukar.

I received a New Zealand hot mitt , tea towel, apron. I love them and think of those two and the cruise everytime I use them.

Not all the cruises I have been on have done this. It usually is discussed on the roll call.

Edited by Azulann

Get my point? DON

I have to confess that I don't "get" the gift exchange idea either. We rarely bring back souvenirs from our travels, but for folks who like to collect mementos, I can understand them bringing back souvenirs of places they visited on the cruise. But I don't understand why anyone would want a random gift, specific to the home town (which they have never visited) of a total stranger.:confused: We have met some lovely people on our cruises, but the only thing we have ever exchanged is email addresses!;):)

Many roll call members like to participate...usually among ones who post, attend the informal sailaway and plan activities together...slot pulls, cabin crawls, excursions etc..

Two nice gifts I received were tea from Suffolk , Grt Brt...we are from Suffolk NY...

and Mittens from the Canadian Olympics...I use them every winter to shovel snow; they are...warm and cozy!

Generally, small consumables are best, if possible! And if something one really can't use, someone will agree to swap!

Edited by hcat

The gift exchanges are another way for people to meet. We met a couple at one exchange that we were sure wouldn't have talked with anyone on the cruise, if it wasn't for the exchange.

Ornament exchange, if near Christmas. Local treat or item. Have been the gist of our exchanges. Always wanted to exchange local rocks. :)

Please explain to me why you would want to exchange gifts with total strangersDON

But I don't understand why anyone would want a random gift, of a total stranger.:confused:

I guess some of us just look at things differently. To me, a stranger is just a friend I haven't met. In fact quite a few folks that posted on this thread are folks I consider friends, but we have not met. ;)

Also, one of the things about an "optional" gift exchange is that it is:

"optional". :)

Get my point?

DON

The OP is asking what not why. It's up to an individual. Do you really want to know why? Probably not.

Phil

We did the gift exchange on our TA last year, I really enjoyed it, not just the gifts we revived but also seeing all the lovely things people got.

We are from York, North Yorkshire, along with all its heritage its main attraction is York Minster and the little cobbled streets. We took some prints by a local artist. In return we got a small Pewter knife with a lobster on it from Nova Scotia and some Maple syrup [emoji3]

I am sure whatever you decide to get the recipient will enjoy it [emoji3]

The gift exchanges are another way for people to meet. We met a couple at one exchange that we were sure wouldn't have talked with anyone on the cruise, if it wasn't for the exchange.

Ornament exchange, if near Christmas. Local treat or item. Have been the gist of our exchanges. Always wanted to exchange local rocks. :)

Why didn't you give me anything while on our Panama Canal cruise? :confused: