Excellent Cruise aboard Eclipse but never again !

mickey89

What did u want Celebrity to do give u a free cruise. It's obvious you wanted something.

I am NOT from a compensation culture, obviously like you. I wanted nothing from Celebrity just the assurance that the INCIDENT was being taken seriously and being investigated.

Probably Celebrity were of the same opinion as you that anyone who complain, want something. Most of us in Britain are not built that way, thankfully.

Giving the OP access to video or incident reports would simply be feeding him evidence should he turn litigious. Were I an officer, I wouldn't have given access either. It seems however, that the OP was left with the sense the crew didn't take the matter seriously. If in fact that was the crew's attitude (I wasn't there and assume nothing), then it was a mistake to leave a guest with such an impression.

Sorry, but someone who demands to see CCTV footage so they can conduct their own investigation (to what end?) is far past being reasonable. For all we know, OP was assured that an investigation was happening but just didn’t like the limited info he was given. Maybe the crew spoke with the offending person or maybe the investigation turned up that they couldn’t figure out who tossed the butt but they redoubled their efforts to watch that area or maybe there was someone standing in the smoking section who accidentally dropped their cigarette? There could be a million things that were done or a million reasons why the cigarette ended up where it ended up (and we're only hearing one side of the story). Bottom line is the cruise line doesn’t owe anyone a detailed explanation as to what it did or didn’t find out. Considering that we are talking about a “near-miss” at best, I’m not sure why any escalation was warranted. What could be done at that point to rectify what happened? Toss everyone off the ship at the next port?

I didn't suggest that the OP become involved in the investigation. I'm simply stating that, according to the OP, the GRM didn't take the fire as a serious issue and subsequent efforts by the OP to bring the fire to the attention of someone who might take it seriously, which I endorse, were blocked. End of story.

While I agree with the OP could someone explain what on the balcony is flamable, I thought it was steel decking and metal chairs.

Chairs/lounges and tables have metal frames, but the chairs/lounges have a synthetic material to actually sit on, and the tables have wooden tops.

I didn't suggest that the OP become involved in the investigation. I'm simply stating that, according to the OP, the GRM didn't take the fire as a serious issue and subsequent efforts by the OP to bring the fire to the attention of someone who might take it seriously, which I endorse, were blocked. End of story.

Well, you said "Personally, I think it's refreshing to see someone becoming involved..." but thank you for your clarification. We also don't know if the captain or other officer was told but said they didn't want to speak with someone who was being unreasonable. Sometimes you just have to trust that professionals know what they're doing.

On our Equinox cruise last year we spotted someone on the balcony below us smoking. We reported it over the phone and within 5 minutes a member of staff appeared in our room, looked over the balcony to see which cabin it was and then went to the room and laid the law down (very nicely I should imagine). I don't know what was said but it did t happen again. Celebrity took it VERY seriously

The Captain should have done what is done on 'spring break cruises' - announce that anyone violating the smoking policy, including smoking on balconies - will be removed at the next port. It might have dissuaded the original idiot from doing it again. And reminded the rest of the ship not to leave towels or clothes on the balcony, or the door open when you aren't there.

I hope the CCTV was watched and the culprit was put off the ship at the next port. It is a dangerous situation which needs to be addressed. The OP does right bringing it to our attention.

The simple answer to smoking violations is to enforce the policy by imposing fines and kicking violators off the ship for multiple violations.

That will change behavior of violators very quickly.

There are cameras everywhere. They know they just have to enforce.

A couple years ago we reported smokers on the balcony nearby ours. It didn't happen again.

But if disrespectful cruisers ignore the smoking rules and no one reports it for fear of getting involved, then nothing will be done. Problem is with those smokers that figure late at night they will be safe from getting caught. Can't "fix" ignorant and selfish folks.:rolleyes:

Edited by eandj

What caught fire on the balcony ?,was it personal things ?

I, too, am curious as to what caught fire? Was the OP in the room when this happened? Who put the fire out? Was the balcony damaged?

Yes, were there 'items' left out on the balcony against the ship recommendation's?

The simple answer to smoking violations is to enforce the policy by imposing fines and kicking violators off the ship for multiple violations.

That will change behavior of violators very quickly.

There are cameras everywhere. They know they just have to enforce.

Celebrity did give a "three strikes you're out" warning to two passengers that were on one of our cruises last year.

We smelled cigarette smoke while sitting on our balcony but couldn't tell where it was coming from. We went to lunch then while we were returning to our cabin, we smelled smoke again, this time in the hallway. The smoke was coming from around the door of a cabin next to us. I reported it to an attendant. He went to the door, smelled the smoke then he asked me to go to my cabin or somewhere else. Later that day, the attendant told me that the occupants of the cabin were smoking on the balcony with the sliding door open thus forcing smoke into the hallway. He said he reminded them of the no smoking policy and followed up later that night with a letter that outlined the smoking policy.

They were later caught smoking a second time. I was told that the Hotel Manager gave them a verbal and written warning after the second infraction which stated they would be removed from the ship if there was a third time.

Guess what? They were caught a third time. Bye-bye. They were kicked off the ship at the next port.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

"The above is really irrelevant to me as we have decided never to sail Celebrity again. The reason being that we had a FIRE on our balcony caused by a lighted cigarette being thrown overboard by some inconsiderate idiot."

Am not sure I completely believe the OP in having nobody on board willing to speak with him. Senior officers have always been available but would not if the person was really agitated. As a non-smoker I find any smoking to be offensive, but Celebrity has the most restrictive policy of any ship. A fire on their balcony?

As to the policy which seems to be the issue, it is not made at the ship level and thus would indeed need to go to Miami. But what does the OP want? Enforcement? That could be received with a calm and sane request. Anything else afraid the OP will indeed need to stay on shore. Who did the OP speak to? Quite possible they could be the proper person to deal with this. Lots of questions and the OP needed to make reasonable requests as security camera footage should never be shared or any internal report information.

Mickey89,

What a terrible end for such a wonderful cruise.

Just because Celebrity would not share information with you does not necessarily mean that they did not fully investigate and take action against someone.

For the most part legal issues at Celebrity are handled by US based management. Unfortunately (IMO, but debatable) the threat of ligation at every turn limits the sharing of information by those in authority.

I will give you an example. My Credit Card has been "hacked" several times causing me to have to change Credit Card numbers. It has never cost me anything, but it is a real pain to have to change numbers. Each time I repeated ask to know the source of the fraud or the store who's files had been compromised. They will never provide me the information or even assure me that someone is being held accountable. The answer is "we have to protect the guilty and we will never share that information." If I knew the merchant involved I would obviously avoid using a CC at that location.

If an assault or other even more serious violation occurred I also do not believe they would share the kind of information that you requested.

Although I do wonder as do others what could actually burn on your balcony obviously something did unless your point is that a lighted cigarette was found on your balcony that could have started a fire. No smoking on the balcony is very clear and Celebrity should not tolerate it. Also anyone who throws a lighted cigarette from another balcony where they should have not even been smoking is a double idiot. Your apparent assumption that Celebrity does not do anything about others smoking on the balcony is incorrect.

Since Celebrity is one of the most smoking restrictive major cruise lines and it is overall unacceptable to you then cruising may not be for you. I once cruised on a non smoking cruise line, but they went bankrupt. Perhaps once you have thought more about your situation you might remember all the other great cruises and return.

Enjoy whatever vacation option you chose.

P.S. Good idea about the picture. We would like to see it and it would be have some impact on other social media sites.

Edited by jagoffee

For the first time in many cruises we had people smoking cigars on the balcony next to ours on our cruise last month in the Summit. We were still at the dock but getting ready to sail shortly. I called guest relations and they said they would send someone up immediately. I didn't stay around to see what happened, but I never did see anyone smoking on that balcony again.

My biggest issue with the smoking policy on Celebrity, especially with the M class ships is at the Sunset bar. It us just too small an area and the smoke does not dissipate enough. I really love the Sunset bar but have had to leave in too many occasions because of smoke.

Celebrity did give a "three strikes you're out" warning to two passengers that were on one of our cruises last year.

We smelled cigarette smoke while sitting on our balcony but couldn't tell where it was coming from. We went to lunch then while we were returning to our cabin, we smelled smoke again, this time in the hallway. The smoke was coming from around the door of a cabin next to us. I reported it to an attendant. He went to the door, smelled the smoke then he asked me to go to my cabin or somewhere else. Later that day, the attendant told me that the occupants of the cabin were smoking on the balcony with the sliding door open thus forcing smoke into the hallway. He said he reminded them of the no smoking policy and followed up later that night with a letter that outlined the smoking policy.

They were later caught smoking a second time. I was told that the Hotel Manager gave them a verbal and written warning after the second infraction which stated they would be removed from the ship if there was a third time.

Guess what? They were caught a third time. Bye-bye. They were kicked off the ship at the next port.

Awesome! :) However, there should be a "two strike, your out!" policy IMO.

My biggest issue with the smoking policy on Celebrity, especially with the M class ships is at the Sunset bar. It us just too small an area and the smoke does not dissipate enough. I really love the Sunset bar but have had to leave in too many occasions because of smoke.

I thought I heard that there was no more smoking allowed at the Sunset Bar because of the same complaints.

Would anyone really think that they wouldn't take a fire on the balcony seriously? I don't quite understand what the OP wanted. They are certainly not going to be part of any investigation into the matter except what they may have seen. Why in the world would it be necessary for them to speak to the Captain or any other officer? I guess I must be missing something.

We were also in the same cruise & must admit that we never heard anything about a fire. However I also know the GRM Simona Stumberger left the ship I believe in Curacoa all GRM's were called back to Miami for a meeting.

Not sure what could go on fire on your balcony but anytime we have smelled smoke on our balcony Celebrity has taken it very seriously.

Would anyone really think that they wouldn't take a fire on the balcony seriously? I don't quite understand what the OP wanted. They are certainly not going to be part of any investigation into the matter except what they may have seen. Why in the world would it be necessary for them to speak to the Captain or any other officer? I guess I must be missing something.

+1. Ridiculous.

What do u suggest Celebrity do. Put cameras on every balcony.

One easy thing that should have been done, is when the Captain does the 10 am update, he needed to mention this , using strong words, that a matter like this will be seriously investigated. That could be a real deterrent.

Also the Cruise Director has several opportunities to mention this to all guests.

But probably the best time and opportunity is during the life boat drill. If you are a smoker, we are aware of who you are, as reported by your stateroom attendants. Extra vigilance is needed. Be very cautious, fires can be started very easily by anyone who is smoking.

Hey they talk about candles, irons etc..why not smokers?