New China Coming?

DoorCounty

Spent 2 relaxing weeks on the Niew Amsterdam. First night in Main Dining Room, I noticed food was served on plain white plates. Where was the pretty German China with blue & gold trim & the HAL logo at top of plate? I think because Corporate tweaked the HAL logo; they may be in process of ordering thousands of new place settings. Occasionally, a bread or salad plate with original pattern showed up. Guess I can say I have an eye for details.

Spent 2 relaxing weeks on the Niew Amsterdam. First night in Main Dining Room, I noticed food was served on plain white plates. Where was the pretty German China with blue & gold trim & the HAL logo at top of plate? I think because Corporate tweaked the HAL logo; they may be in process of ordering thousands of new place settings. Occasionally, a bread or salad plate with original pattern showed up. Guess I can say I have an eye for details.

My traveling companion and I saw the same kind of situation on the Prinsendam's Christmas/New Year's Cruise. At times, the older china was used; at times, a new plain white china was offered. (It reminded me of what I saw on my Carnival Cruise Line cruises.) Our MDR Steward said that there was a change taking place when we questioned him about what we were seeing.

Most interesting, I thought, was that the new plain white porcelain plate did not properly fit the Room Service metal warming plate on which it was placed. The metal cover fit over the plate OK. But, trying to cut something on the plate while the metal warming plate was still underneath caused the porcelain plate to move out of position.

Every time I am reminded of the change to the HAL Logo, it irritates me. Why changing the Logo is going to be anything positive is beyond me. Of all the things they could be spending money on that would make a difference, to be replacing all the Logo items in all HAL ships, corporate, advertising, blah blah bah is such a waste IMO.

How about hiring a few more stewards instead? How about upgrade to menu items? Captain's Welcome Aboard and so many other things that have been cut?

I suspect the new undecorated china is going to be the final product.

Like the patterned line it replaced, it is also Rosenthal fine porcelain.

Most contemporary chefs prefer plain white (in a variety of shapes) as a pattern is thought to take emphasis away from the artistic presentation of the food.

Most contemporary chefs prefer plain white (in a variety of shapes) as a pattern is thought to take emphasis away from the artistic presentation of the food.

I know nothing about artistic food presentation. I do know what I like to taste and enjoy.

The Black dinnerware and Stewards' uniforms, along with the deconstructed cuisine, that are part of the De Liberjie dinner in the PG is a turn-off to me. Done that and won't be back!

Yes, the china is still Rosenthal, but some of the pieces may be oddly shaped, i.e. triangular, which certainly seems odd to some of us. And as I said in an earlier post, if the plates don't fit the metal warming servers for Room Service, is this a step forward?

Are you suggesting the Chefs of HAL are responsible for this disappointing change? I seriously doubt they had any input to decimating the Logo which, presumably, is the reason for the change to the china (non) pattern.

I was on New A for two weeks in February, and I was impressed by the presentation of the meals at our table. As you say, the shape of the plates and bowls changed dramatically based on the needs of the food. I think this is a permanent change. I doubt the new service wear is temporary.

Every time I am reminded of the change to the HAL Logo, it irritates me. Why changing the Logo is going to be anything positive is beyond me. Of all the things they could be spending money on that would make a difference, to be replacing all the Logo items in all HAL ships, corporate, advertising, blah blah bah is such a waste IMO.

How about hiring a few more stewards instead? How about upgrade to menu items? Captain's Welcome Aboard and so many other things that have been cut?

I agree that changing the logo is spending money that could be put to better use.

I don't mind if they change the china, but I would like to see each ship change it all at once. Mis-matched dishes do not look elegant to me.

And if you like the old pattern, it's likely to show up on Ebay as it's phased out.

We were on the Prinsendam not too long ago having a similar discussion with our tablemates. The only, and biggest, complaint was that the new coffee cups' handles cause burns. They are small and not designed well, so when filled they slide down so that the hot cup touches your finger! I hear that several people complained to the MDR staff about it. I can say, it took me by surprise and made me re-consider my choice of hot tea a few times!

I'm sorry to hear about this change as I always thought the Half Moon logo on the plates added a touch of elegance. I wonder when the silver plate is going to go too in favor of stainless. It's all a cheapening of the product. In HAL's defense though, I wonder how many pieces of china have found their way into passengers' luggage at the end of a trip? Plain white china doesn't make for nearly as interesting of a souvenir!

On a related, but different, topic, we noticed the china in the Pinnacle on our recent Maasdam cruise had changed. No longer the white plate with dark blue and gold accents, but white in the center with an orange "weaved" border circle.

My spouse observed that it was not only probably less expensive for the new charge plates, but the servers didn't have to take the time to table them in the correct "up" position as with the old charge plates.

Edited by Nanner

I'm sorry to hear about this change as I always thought the Half Moon logo on the plates added a touch of elegance. I wonder when the silver plate is going to go too in favor of stainless. It's all a cheapening of the product. In HAL's defense though, I wonder how many pieces of china have found their way into passengers' luggage at the end of a trip? Plain white china doesn't make for nearly as interesting of a souvenir!

I wonder what they do with the old dinnerwear. I would LOVE to have a Holland America Set to use at home. Or even more - a dinnerwear set for LA Cirque at the Pinnacle Grill.

Any ideas about how one can buy such a thing???

Edited by SS Exeter

I wonder what they do with the old dinnerwear. I would LOVE to have a Holland America Set to use at home. Or even more - a dinnerwear set for LA Cirque at the Pinnacle Grill.

Any ideas about how one can buy such a thing???

They donate it to various organizations. Then people sell some on eBay.

On a related, but different, topic, we noticed the china in the Pinnacle on our recent Maasdam cruise had changed. No longer the white plate with dark blue and gold accents, but white in the center with an orange "weaved" border circle.

My spouse observed that it was not only probably less expensive for the new charge plates, but the servers didn't have to take the time to table them in the correct "up" position as with the old charge plates.

I noticed that in December also, and wondered if I had missed a discussion here.

And count me in on being interested in 2 place settings of the blue ware.

• 4 months later...

Any more updates on this?

I noticed a recent review of the Volendam had pictures in the Pinnacle Grill and the plates were indeed orange. Are they still Bvlgari? [if not, HAL should really update their website which touts the elegant atmosphere of the PG having "Bvlgari china, Riedel stemware and Frette linens". Of course this is not as important as the food but to someone that cares about presentation it is a disappointment and they should not be advertising a product that no longer exists. First world problems I know, but I think atmosphere is important in a specialty restaurant...that is part of what one is paying for.

I LOVED the old pattern. The new one looks rather boring.

I also love the logo Rosenthal china in the MDR and with room service. I do hope it comes back. Heritage is one thing VERY few other lines have [really only HAL and Cunard have a long and storied history] and it's a shame if HAL abandons that in order to "modernize" with blandness.

Edited by Bostonjetset

The orange in the Pinnacle could have been for Le Cirque (?). Frette linens, hmm, looks a lot like the MDR linens to me, but what do I know?

HAL seems to be slowly updating their advertising to reflect what is actually on the ships. Slowly.

I think HAL is going for the modern, upscale look now. The new HAL logo is an example of dispensing with the heritage idea.

Putting the Dutch Cafe on the Koningsdam is one thing (a nod to the heritage plus profit), but dinnerware is another and the plain white with no embellishment is no doubt cheaper to produce.

Yes, disappointing....

The orange in the Pinnacle could have been for Le Cirque (?). Frette linens, hmm, looks a lot like the MDR linens to me, but what do I know?

HAL seems to be slowly updating their advertising to reflect what is actually on the ships. Slowly.

I think HAL is going for the modern, upscale look now. The new HAL logo is an example of dispensing with the heritage idea.

Putting the Dutch Cafe on the Koningsdam is one thing (a nod to the heritage plus profit), but dinnerware is another and the plain white with no embellishment is no doubt cheaper to produce.

Yes, disappointing....

SilvertoGold, we meet again!!! :D

The Le Cirque china has monkeys [and leaves I believe] on it but this china was just an orange weave around the border...still nice but not as elegant as the blue Bvlgari. You can see what I mean if you check on rajkr74's Alaska cruisetour review. It's very recent.

Has the logo-less china in the MDR even been confirmed as permanent? Some stated it was temporary whilst the logo is updated.

I do love the Dutch Cafe pics I've seen, btw.

Agree 100%.

I absolutely LOVE the china HAL has been using for the past few years. I also think that it is a nice touch that room service is also presented on the nice china. I am one of those people who is more picky about what I eat my food on rather than the food itself.

Edited by kevingastreich

it seems that all too often when a company makes a new hire or two that they just HAVE to try and change things to prove their worth...unfortunately it seems that often they want to fix things that aren't broken (like changing logos or dishes)....

traditional looks seem to be one of the things that the younger geeky types always want to change with more "snazzy" look....

i for one wish that they would dedicate their efforts to areas that actual customers have complained about... i highly doubt that many if any pax ever complained about the logo...there are lots of areas that could be improved but i guess that is not as glamorous as fixing things that aren't broken

SilvertoGold, we meet again!!! :D

The Le Cirque china has monkeys [and leaves I believe] on it but this china was just an orange weave around the border...still nice but not as elegant as the blue Bvlgari. You can see what I mean if you check on rajkr74's Alaska cruisetour review. It's very recent.

Has the logo-less china in the MDR even been confirmed as permanent? Some stated it was temporary whilst the logo is updated.

I do love the Dutch Cafe pics I've seen, btw.

Boston: here we are again!

Thanks for pointing out that review. The photos and commentary are outstanding.. The Volendam was the ship for one of our best cruises, Vancouver to HK.

But I digress. That orange weave china looks somewhat familiar, so it may be the "new" Pinnacle china. They didn't serve the after dinner chocolates on it or I would KNOW.

I've never liked white china so I ignored it. Too plain, too modern, no personality. Someone must know if this is permanent.

Anyways, the Dutch Cafe looks like a winner! So far, my one reason for wanting to sail the Koningsdam.