No assignment for guarantee!!

:confused:

We booked an inside GTY on Grandeur sailing 20 March, just about a month before sailing (in fact, I think we booked the evening of 20 February). I checked in and went to print our luggage tags today and we're STILL listed as a GTY without an assigned cabin.

Should we be very excited at the prospect of getting a good cabin, or very scared of the prospect of getting a bad one with... sewage issues or something? The cruise is currently shown as "sold out" on RCCL's website... and I've never booked a GTY before so yes, I'm nervous...

We booked an inside GTY on Grandeur sailing 20 March, just about a month before sailing (in fact, I think we booked the evening of 20 February). I checked in and went to print our luggage tags today and we're STILL listed as a GTY without an assigned cabin.

Should we be very excited at the prospect of getting a good cabin, or very scared of the prospect of getting a bad one with... sewage issues or something? The cruise is currently shown as "sold out" on RCCL's website... and I've never booked a GTY before so yes, I'm nervous...

I have no personal experience with a GTY cabin but others whom I trust in this community have reported that you could receive your cabin assignment any time up to the point at which you do your check-in at the cruise terminal.

I have also read on this forum that a small number of staterooms are held unoccupied, in reserve, in case of any problems during a sailing which cannot be resolved in any other way than changing staterooms.

So you shouldn't worry with the exception of possible noise issues wherever you end up on the ship (but presumably you knew this would be a gamble with a GTY cabin). Sometimes noise from the deck immediately above or below, if you end up close to the Centrum with late-night music, or if you're near the elevators with lots of foot traffic will bother some people, but others may not notice or care.

I have no personal experience with a GTY cabin but others whom I trust in this community have reported that you could receive your cabin assignment any time up to the point at which you do your check-in at the cruise terminal.

I have also read on this forum that a small number of staterooms are held unoccupied, in reserve, in case of any problems during a sailing which cannot be resolved in any other way than changing staterooms.

So you shouldn't worry with the exception of possible noise issues wherever you end up on the ship (but presumably you knew this would be a gamble with a GTY cabin). Sometimes noise from the deck immediately above or below, if you end up close to the Centrum with late-night music, or if you're near the elevators with lots of foot traffic will bother some people, but others may not notice or care.

Thanks for your expertise =)

Though I'll admit, I was hoping someone would chime in and tell us that inside GTYs this late in the game are ALWAYS upgraded to suite class...

Though I'll admit, I was hoping someone would chime in and tell us that inside GTYs this late in the game are ALWAYS upgraded to suite class...

Unfortunately, that is not a guarantee that the GTY will provide ;)

But cross your fingers...you may get lucky! :)

Unfortunately that's very unlikely. The latest I had a GTY assigned was 3 days before sailing, we had to ask the porter to make luggage tags for us at the pier.

If you have not done so already, join us on the roll call for this sailing. As was mentioned, be prepared to find out what your cabin assignment is at the pier - but be content with getting the GTY category you booked. See you on the ship.

Unless a specific cabin we want is available, we book a guarantee for almost every cruise that it is offered. With just a few exceptions, we are generally assigned a cabin in the guarantee category. Out of 20 or 30 guarantee, I can count on one hand the number of times we were assigned to a higher cabin category. Let me add, and I don't consider an assignment of an OV on deck five, any better than an assignment of an OV on deck two. By a higher category, I mean I guaranteed an OV and was assigned a balcony, or I took a suite guarantee and was assigned something other than a Js.

We have been bumped to the next category a few times. I don't recall that We have ever been bumped up more than one guarantee category. In some instances, there were other available cabins showing in the assigned category and if we did not like the assignment, we could move to another cabin in that same category. As an example, we did a suite guarantee for the serenade New Year's eve cruise. We were assigned a Junior suite towards the back of the ship. A true aft Junior suite was available and we were able to switch to that cabin. We booked that cruise just 4 weeks prior to sailing, and were assigned the cabin the day after booking.

Like the 0P, we have also been in situations where the guarantee category appears to be sold out. In those cases, we generally were assigned to the guarantee category. Either there were some cabins held in reserve, or the cruise line did some switching of other passengers to keep us at the bottom of the pool.

Good luck OP – and report back and let us know your assignment. I will keep my fingers crossed and maybe you will get that big jump to the Royal suite

M

We booked a Navigator inside gty the day before sailing, didn't get our assignment until on the way to Galveston the next day...I was hoping for one of the new Virtual Balconies and sure enough, that's what they gave us. I was thrilled.

I am also sailing on the March 20 Allure of the Seas with a guarantee (OV). I don't have an assigment yet either, so I feel you. Six days to go and we are very excited! Constantly checking for our assigment

Oops, just saw that you're on the Grandeur, not the Allure. Either way, we're sailing the same day and haven't gotten an assigment :cool:

I am also sailing on the March 20 Allure of the Seas with a guarantee (OV). I don't have an assigment yet either, so I feel you. Six days to go and we are very excited! Constantly checking for our assigment

Unfortunately, this is not true. We had an issue on a cruise last year in which the noise was extremely loud (directly above the piano/guitar player in the schooner bar). Causing both myself and my son to be awake most of the night. DS was 18 months old and cried from exhaustion. not fair to our room neighbors or us. We spoke with Hotel Director and he even came to our room and agreed it was loud. He explained that he did not have a single room for us to move to at that time. Once the comedian got off the ship, on day 4, they quickly cleaned the room he was in and moved us over there.

As for the OP, yes it can take up until the day you get onboard to find your room location. It's nothing to worry about. Chances are they are moving the higher tier people around and when the dust settles they will place you in one of the rooms that has opened up :)

Unfortunately, this is not true. We had an issue on a cruise last year in which the noise was extremely loud (directly above the piano/guitar player in the schooner bar). Causing both myself and my son to be awake most of the night. DS was 18 months old and cried from exhaustion. not fair to our room neighbors or us. We spoke with Hotel Director and he even came to our room and agreed it was loud. He explained that he did not have a single room for us to move to at that time. Once the comedian got off the ship, on day 4, they quickly cleaned the room he was in and moved us over there.

Thanks for the correction. I guess YMMV as to whether there's a chance of switching staterooms, which obviously depends on the category as well. I hope anyone else who has mentioned this before will read this and know that it can't be relied upon.

Inside to a suite? No.

Perhaps inside to an OV...maybe even a balcony.

If RCL bumps you from inside to suite, they make 1 person happy. But, if they bump you to an OV, an OV to a balcony, a balcony to a JS, and a JS to a full suite, then they make 4 people happy.

Makes more sense for a company to make 4 people happy, instead of 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please come back and let us know when your guarantee was finally assigned, and if you received the category you booked or an upgrade!

Bon Voyage!

So after checking every day, today I finally got my assignments for our March 20 cruise on the Allure. We reserved an ocean view guarantee and were upgraded to central park with balcony! It could be beginners luck, as it's my first cruise, but I'm very excited!!

So after checking every day, today I finally got my assignments for our March 20 cruise on the Allure. We reserved an ocean view guarantee and were upgraded to central park with balcony! It could be beginners luck, as it's my first cruise, but I'm very excited!!

Excellent! Beware, you will be spoiled with the balcony.

Congrats!!! Have a great cruise

Yay! Congrats! You'll have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app