Can you cancel gratuities on golden princess?????

portcbob

Either or is fine. Tipping is direct service not behind the scenes personal. If the main waiter or steward wants to split thier gratuities, that's on them to choose.

This has been mentioned before--if you remove auto tipping whatever you tip individuals has to be turned in and goes into a pool. Every time we tip our steward or waiters extra we are asked to write out names and cabin # on the envelope so that it can be checked to be sure we didn't cancel auto tipping.

For all the negative answers to my question. I absolutely think the staff should get more money. I believe my own personal tips I hand out could???? Be more beneficial to them. I have read some horror stories where the pre paid gratuities may not get to t the employees working on the ship. I also believe it is also more personnel. Don't have to bash me up over this, just my thoughts.

Cheers bob.

The auto tip IS shared among the employees...Those you see & those who prepare your food etc. If you take off the tip & give it to the employees you want to tip, they HAVE to return it to the pool. If you wish to tip "extra", which we & many others do, that amount they get to keep free & clear. Of course there are those who remove the auto tip & place it back into their pocket. I certainly hope there's a special place in Hell reserved for them!

Then just add on extra if that is the case - this argument of canceling auto-tips to give more to crew never holds water - I'm sure your intentions are good but this is not a point to argue...plus if the rationale is that someone wants to try and force better service or hedge against poor service by removing the auto-tips (and forgetting all the people behind the scenes) at the end of the day you are saving about 50 cents or $1 that the person who gave "bad service" might receive. For the very few times I have received poor service and that person still gets my 50 cents or $1 because I kept on the auto-tip well I guess so be it - I guess I got screwed out of 50 cents and that person (who works 7 days a week for 9 months) got the better of me...

If I cancel auto-gratuities and tip double the recommended amount, I would like to see which the crew prefer. I guarantee you they would want double the tips. Pooled or not, they would want double tips.

There will never be a meeting of the minds between those who leave auto-gratuities in place and those that remove it. It just gets into a very heated (unpleasant) argument because, in my opinion, those that want to remove it are unadvised. Take it from all of these experienced cruisers.

* Leave the auto-gratuities in place for those in front of house and behind the scenes.

* Add additional tips to those who provide you with excellent service

* Place your additional tips in an envelope with your name and cabin number on it so that these tips will be returned to them when checked against the "list".

Go ahead and carry a zillion ones with you when you go to the horizon court, bar, IC, for all those people you run in to on occasion. You may not see them again to give them an envelope.

Don't forget the tea server, scones distributor, and other sundry of people when you enjoy your afternoon delights.

I did it once and was mortified when I became learned. Won't ever do it again.

The one exception: give your cabin steward his/her envelope the night before if this will be their last cruise. They will still need to declare it and makes it much easier for them to take the money when they get off the ship.

I've cruised enough times to have gotten friendly with my service staff. No, they never "confided" in me the policy, but have always asked me politely to include my name and cabin number.

You can if you choose to do so. I won't tell you what is right for you to do or not do in this case. I remember reading about a couple who a manager had them arrested for removing the 18 percent tip from the bill. I thought that was really crazy.

You have to be 21 to work onboard.

To have 20+ years of experience you would have to be 41+

I have seen very, very few crew members over 40.

Most come for a while. Either save up for a house at home,

or get married, and move on.

We have had quite a few waiters and cabin stewards who were over 40 - they just look young - must be something in the Philippine genes! We were shocked to find out they had grown up children or were even grandparents! One cabin steward even told us that his wife had got so used to spending his wages that he wasn't allowed to stop working on the ship (lol)

Just like it has been mentioned before, if the cruise is an Aus cruise then your tipping is already included in the price of your fare. A lot of cruises from outside Aus find this hard to comprehend.

If you are cruising on the Golden Princess from the 4th of April the ship will revert to its USD policy

Just like it has been mentioned before, if the cruise is an Aus cruise then your tipping is already included in the price of your fare

If the cruise commences from Australia or NZ the staff on those ships are actually paid at a higher rate than the USA based ships due to Australian employment laws but tips given are still appreciated

Just like it has been mentioned before, if the cruise is an Aus cruise then your tipping is already included in the price of your fare

If the cruise commences from Australia or NZ the staff on those ships are actually paid at a higher rate than the USA based ships due to Australian employment laws but tips given are still appreciated

Yeah found that out on our first Princess cruise a few years ago. They enjoy working the Australian contracts

If I cancel auto-gratuities and tip double the recommended amount, I would like to see which the crew prefer. I guarantee you they would want double the tips. Pooled or not, they would want double tips.

Again, why would you not leave it on to ensure that those you do not see get their tips and then just give cash for the additional that you wish - your argument makes no sense -

Again, why would you not leave it on to ensure that those you do not see get their tips and then just give cash for the additional that you wish - your argument makes no sense -

Perhaps he/she just doesn't want to leave it on. It is their choice, not yours.

You can if you choose to do so. I won't tell you what is right for you to do or not do in this case. I remember reading about a couple who a manager had them arrested for removing the 18 percent tip from the bill. I thought that was really crazy.

In what state did that happen?

After listening to several people on various cruises who have said they remove the auto tip, my impression is the majority of them did not tip anyone, so my thinking of is that if you are too cheap to leave the auto tip on, chances are you are to cheap to tip at all. Just my opinion, I know you are that person whom gives a tip to everyone who serves you noticed and unnoticed.

Yeah found that out on our first Princess cruise a few years ago. They enjoy working the Australian contracts

Yeap. Despite some claiming on here that Princess employees don't enjoy working NZ/Australia routes because they get stiffed with no tipping. Well, that's one huge myth. Some of the happiest crews I have come across have been on the Sun class ships.

Why doesn't Princess just up the cost of the cruise slightly, pay their employees with the increase, and then ditch the tipping thing? Not all countries go along with the tipping game.

In Australia they do, just that.

One thing to consider is that some of the people that are party to the tipping pool stay largely behind the scenes.

The staff that clean your rooms, serve your drinks at the bar, serve your meals in the dining room etc. are only one portion of the entire crew that works hard to cater to your needs as a guest on board.

I would suggest if one wants to increase their tips to do so through the tipping pool. Or if wanting to acknowledge a particular individual for exemplary service with a gift, to do that in addition to the suggested daily gratuities by discreetly handing them some cash or other form of gift.

I agree.......

Why doesn't Princess just up the cost of the cruise slightly, pay their employees with the increase, and then ditch the tipping thing? Not all countries go along with the tipping game.

One reason is that many of those in the tip pool were contracted to Princess by companies in their countries and these companies get a percentage of the employees' wages. Tips are not considered part of the wages and thus the employees do not have to share tips with their contracting agencies.

Another reason is the competitiveness of the cruise industry. If Princess raised their published cost by $90 a week and Carnival, RCI and other direct competitors did not do the same, Princess would loose market share.

Several years ago Princess tried to include fees and taxes in the listed pricing. "What you see is what you pay" was their slogan. From the viewpoint of people who are familiar with cruise pricing and know that taxes and port fees do have to be paid, this was good since the cost with those items was easily seen. However, this was discontinued after several months, I assume because it made Princess cruises appear more expensive than the competition's pricing that could appear to be hundreds of $$ lower without the taxes and fees being a part of their pricing.

Edited by caribill

One reason is that many of those in the tip pool were contracted to Princess by companies in their countries and these companies get a percentage of the employees' wages. Tips are not considered part of the wages and thus the employees do not have to share tips with their contracting agencies.

Another reason is the competitiveness of the cruise industry. If Princess raised their published cost by $90 a week and Carnival, RCI and other direct competitors did not do the same, Princess would loose market share.

Several years ago Princess tried to include fees and taxes in the listed pricing. "What you see is what you pay" was their slogan. From the viewpoint of people who are familiar with cruise pricing and know that taxes and port fees do have to be paid, this was good since the cost with those items was easily seen. However, this was discontinued after several months, I assume because it made Princess cruises appear more expensive than the competition's pricing that could appear to be hundreds of $$ lower without the taxes and fees being a part of their pricing.

It must be a regional thing. Australian Princess cruises, with grats, fees and taxes built into the pricing, usually come close to being sold out a month or so before departure date, whereas RCI cruises, where the grats, fees and taxes are additional, tend to have to have last minute sales to fill their ships. Princess pricing is usually slightly more expensive than RCI most of the time but that doesn't seem to be an issue down in our part of the world.

It must be a regional thing. Australian Princess cruises, with grats, fees and taxes built into the pricing, usually come close to being sold out a month or so before departure date, whereas RCI cruises, where the grats, fees and taxes are additional, tend to have to have last minute sales to fill their ships. Princess pricing is usually slightly more expensive than RCI most of the time but that doesn't seem to be an issue down in our part of the world.

Maybe we're smarter than the average cruiser (nod to yogi) and can work all that out.

I know I look at the total cost, tips, drinks (packages etc) OBC, US$ v Aus$ but it seems that's to hard for some parts of the world.

Now as for the agency fees, I have no doubt that if Princess said we're increasing wages to make up for tips, so you need to reduce your % if you want our business, I suspect the employment agency would fall into line pretty quick.

Maybe we're smarter than the average cruiser (nod to yogi) and can work all that out.

I know I look at the total cost, tips, drinks (packages etc) OBC, US$ v Aus$ but it seems that's to hard for some parts of the world.

Ah well! Not everyone is a spreadsheet junkie. :D

People should not be made to feel bad about their decision about tipping. I personally do tip but that is my choice, they do amazing job.

I'm from the UK where tipping is not compulsory as standard.

I am sure the pro tippers are not the big tippers they say they are.....I am always reminded of "I thinketh they protest to much!"....it is really none of their business and that is the bottom line....to tip or not to tip is your choice....not their choice for you!!! ;)

....it is really none of their business and that is the bottom line....to tip or not to tip is your choice....not their choice for you!!! ;)

I agree 100%!

However, there are many who remove auto-tips in the incorrect belief that tips handed directly to crew members is a more effective way to reward them. They're basing their decision on something other than fact since that direct tip will be turned in and added to the tip pool.

Assuming 500 crew members in the pool, if the auto-tip is kept in place and you tip your cabin steward $50, he will be able to keep your $50 plus a percentage of the pool.

If the auto-tips are removed and you tip your cabin steward $50 directly, that $50 will become part of the pool. Your cabin steward's portion of your tip will be 10¢. A $100 direct tip will trickle down to 20¢ for your steward.

With the above in mind, those considering removing their auto-tips can make a more informed decision.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png