Post Counts

ithaca gal

Or when someone asks a question, someone answers it correctly and there are a dozen posts confirming the answer with no additional information.

This is where I start to think they are just trying to up their post count for some reason. It's a simple question that has been answered a few times, no need to keep giving the same answer if there has been no dispute it is correct. I understand the first few coming close to each other in time, but 6 answers and hours later there is no need, and it certainly seems like that person hasn't even bothered to read the previous responses.

It's a simple question that has been answered a few times, no need to keep giving the same answer if there has been no dispute it is correct....it certainly seems like that person hasn't even bothered to read the previous responses.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves here as well. The only thing I can think of is that a member reads the question, then immediately hits "Post Reply" and types theirs out without reading any of the replies already posted. I just can't justify the same response a dozen times, can you? It's baffling. :D

Over the years I have come to feel a long post is probably not done just to boost a post count. On the other hand, persons who very frequently post a very short one sentence remark such as, "Cool!" for example or something slightly longer are more apt to be count boosters. I do mean if they do such short posts regularly.

Of course, we all have opportunities to post a short reply now and again, but I am talking about the habitual short poster. So that refers to post length. But there is also the poster who often posts incorrect information or misleading information. Then one feels they are just giving any old answer or are guessing in order to boost their post count.

But I don't block any poster here from my reading. Even some of the most frivolous posters here do offer helpful advice once in awhile and I don't want to miss it. I give every poster here the benefit of the doubt unless they really say something outrageously wrong.

As a Host for more than 20 years, it's been my experience that Cruise Critic has a very large base of experienced and very friendly cruisers, such as KK, who love cruising and sharing their knowledge. They are the backbone of these boards.

And yes, when some members are confined and have internet access, what better than enjoying, vicariously, the cruise experience through the participation of others.

I just underwent major surgery and during the long spells in hospital being bored stiff with the limited TV programs available. My sanity was saved by these boards by reading (and contributing to) roll calls for trips we've been on, and the "live from" threads.

Of course I've seen the posts that seem to be made solely to add to post counts, but there are only a few of them and, fortunately, there are no awards for the most posts.

Hope you are doing better now.

I hope your back improves,

I live with chronic pain from back issues, (problems at 15 levels) and am n and out of a wheelchair, months on end in bed and this site and another maintained what little sanity I had.

Surgeon can't do any more for me.

This site has been a godsend for me and others.

I have no idea if there are any perks or not to having a high post count. I generally don't pay much attention to anyone's post count, unless I'm looking to see where they are from (many post their location) and just happen to notice the post count then as well.

I've been here many, many years yet have quite a low post count. I'm not interesting in making posts just to "boost my count", and generally just post when I have something I want to say, as I think most posters here do as well. Maybe a few want to have a high post count, for whatever reason, but I don't think most people really care about it.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves here as well. The only thing I can think of is that a member reads the question, then immediately hits "Post Reply" and types theirs out without reading any of the replies already posted. I just can't justify the same response a dozen times, can you? It's baffling. :D

I do think that's exactly what happens and it happens often! I never understand when someone sees there are already a dozen responses to a somewhat simple question that they don't even read the posts and just answer the question as if they're the first one to respond. One of my pet peeves as well.:p

I do think that's exactly what happens and it happens often! I never understand when someone sees there are already a dozen responses to a somewhat simple question that they don't even read the posts and just answer the question as if they're the first one to respond. One of my pet peeves as well.:p

Along with the people who hit the "quote" button for incredibly long posts, so that you have to scroll and scroll to get to the reply. You can quote just part of the post, people!

• 2 weeks later...
I am what most would call a high number of posts CC'er and I'm not aware of any benefits. I'm sorry some think it is something shameful to post here often. :o

I'd like to think some of the information I've posted here over the years may have once or twice been helpful, that I was able to competently answer some questions that were asked.

I never thought I would be expected to relate why I come to CC often and post so much. References like this make me think once I reach 80,000 posts which might be soon, it is worth thinking it's time I stepped away.

Sail, your posts are full of information that I think most of us appreciate. I, for one, hope you will not stop posting here.

This thread suggests there's something significant about post counts. There isn't. Back when Cruise Critic moved from AOL to its own website, most members who started with AOL started over with zero post counts on the then new site.

Later, as a result of some problems experienced with the original board software in the early 2000's, Cruise Critic changed over to our current platform, vBulletin.

When that last change was made some posts were lost and the post counts were changed.

In a few cases technical issues have arisen that required involuntary member name changes which also caused post counts to be impacted.

In other words the post counts are nothing more than a general indicator of a member's activity and absolutely no significance.

As a Host for more than 20 years, it's been my experience that Cruise Critic has a very large base of experienced and very friendly cruisers, such as KK, who love cruising and sharing their knowledge. They are the backbone of these boards.

And yes, when some members are confined and have internet access, what better than enjoying, vicariously, the cruise experience through the participation of others.

I just underwent major surgery and during the long spells in hospital being bored stiff with the limited TV programs available. My sanity was saved by these boards by reading (and contributing to) roll calls for trips we've been on, and the "live from" threads.

Of course I've seen the posts that seem to be made solely to add to post counts, but there are only a few of them and, fortunately, there are no awards for the most posts.

Yes and no. While there is no tangible award given, the 5000+ club, the 40,000+ club, etc. etc. designations seem to be highly sought after.

Whatever the case, I've enjoyed learning so much on these boards.

So can anyone enlighten us as to what the levels (and requirements) are?

I would like to know, too! I'll most likely never make top levels or tiers through the cruising line, so I would like to achieve something in the cruise-related world!

I would like to know, too! I'll most likely never make top levels or tiers through the cruising line, so I would like to achieve something in the cruise-related world!

Rosy, that's what this entire thread is about. :) The post count is absolutely meaningless - no prizes, no awards, no accolades.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Oh I know, sadly no prizes. If only... :rolleyes:

Joking about the achievement, but I was genuinely interested in what the levels meant (like Blue Ribbon Cruiser)?

It means nothing, it is merely based on how many posts you have made, it changes to numbers ar 5000 from memory.

First stage is about 1000 again from memory.

I dredged up his very very old thread that provides some history on this subject...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=267250&highlight=blue+ribbon+cruiser

Wow. From that thread, the most prolific posters back in 2005 were:

Sue d. Miller: 28,130

judytata11: 18701

springtxbill: 18,466

GoinCruisin: 17,435

Krazy Kruizers: 17,059

Cookie B: 16,492

isujim: 16, 435

NitaBcruising: 16,424

Serene56: 14,061

johnql: 13,356

Those numbers are nothing compared to some today. :eek:

I don't know why there is even an indicator of the number of posts someone has. No big deal.

I have been here for a long time. I enjoy giving information that may help someone else and I am still always learning from others. ;)

If a question is answered I move on. I try to read each response so I do not repeat what has already been said.

If a question is answered I move on. I try to read each response so I do not repeat what has already been said.

That's a great approach and I sure wish others would do the same.

There are some who will post the same answer directly below someone's reply that has already answered the question - and then claim they didn't see it, yet managed to read the original post....