Post Counts

ithaca gal

If I get a "good post" or "that's a good point" from any of the "high posters" here, I have to admit I get a giddy in my step that day. Those folks know so much about cruising that I am in awe that they can't make a million dollars coaching other cruisers. And I am very very thankful for their shared experiences. Cruising would have been a lot harder to figure out without them.

I had to laugh at this.

I haves learned far more from these boards than from actually cruising. It has allowed me to avoid mistakes, save money, get more enjoyment out of my cruise, be aware of upcoming changes before the cruise line announces it and so much more. So, thank you all for your collective knowledge and for sharing it.

I could not agree more! Very well said!!!

I just noticed that one frequent poster had 49 posts for today and I thought that was a lot. I then checked another poster and saw 180 posts for today. :eek: The day is not even over yet.

Yup, some people are spending a lot of time on CC. Not much time on anything else, but a lot of time on CC.

Hi Everyone

Just got an e-mail from a friend about this thread.

I have been gone for a month.

Talking about number of posts........

Got curious and clicked onto one person's name -- found that this individual in the last month made 3774 posts.

That is a lot in a month!! I joined in July 2001. If I had posted that much in a month I would have over 700,000 posts. Gee -- where did I go wrong??? :D:D

I just noticed that one frequent poster had 49 posts for today and I thought that was a lot. I then checked another poster and saw 180 posts for today. :eek: The day is not even over yet.

Yup, some people are spending a lot of time on CC. Not much time on anything else, but a lot of time on CC.

And of course none of us have any idea why.

I know when I am in hospital or restricted to bed I post a lot, just because I have time on my hands.

Less often when I'm working.

Hi Everyone

Just got an e-mail from a friend about this thread.

I have been gone for a month.

Talking about number of posts........

Got curious and clicked onto one person's name -- found that this individual in the last month made 3774 posts.

That is a lot in a month!! I joined in July 2001. If I had posted that much in a month I would have over 700,000 posts. Gee -- where did I go wrong??? :D:D

KK .... You are one of the best and most well respected posters on CC because you do not post just to be posting.

You are so good about giving extremely helpful answers when you know the answer to the question and only when you know.

Happily, we can always count on your posts to be accurate!

LuLu

Years ago I used to wonder if some posters were stalking me and then realised they were just replying to everyone;) some high posters have great info' but the frequent posts when some reply yes what the last person said gets repetitive and boring.

I guess some folks view "CC" almost as a part time job, posting 100 or more posts a day. Maybe some find it gratuitous to have more posts than anyone else. I don't know why some folks bother to post "welcome to CC", or when someone asks a question they post "repost on XXX thread". If you can answer the OP's question, answer it, if not someone else surely will. Or when someone asks a question, someone answers it correctly and there are a dozen posts confirming the answer with no additional information. I think what I dislike the most is when someone posts something on a particular thread, someone else comments in an uncomplimentary manner regarding that post and then it goes on and on with snarky remarks back and forth just between two posters. In instances like that, I wish the board moderator would just close the thread.

...or when someone asks a question they post "repost on XXX thread".

I agree. It seems like there's a lot of that lately. So what if a question is asked about (enter any cruise line here) on the Ask a Cruise Question board. If you know the answer or can give an opinion as asked by the OP, just do it.

I agree. It seems like there's a lot of that lately. So what if a question is asked about (enter any cruise line here) on the Ask a Cruise Question board. If you know the answer or can give an opinion as asked by the OP, just do it.

My thoughts exactly. There are a lot of times when I see a question here and then read the comments directing them somewhere else and I wonder why they just don't answer the question. If I have an answer or opinion I will answer the OP....what if someone else reading the threads in this category have the same question? It is just as easy to answer as it is to redirect.

I guess some folks view "CC" almost as a part time job, posting 100 or more posts a day. Maybe some find it gratuitous to have more posts than anyone else. I don't know why some folks bother to post "welcome to CC", or when someone asks a question they post "repost on XXX thread". If you can answer the OP's question, answer it, if not someone else surely will. Or when someone asks a question, someone answers it correctly and there are a dozen posts confirming the answer with no additional information. I think what I dislike the most is when someone posts something on a particular thread, someone else comments in an uncomplimentary manner regarding that post and then it goes on and on with snarky remarks back and forth just between two posters. In instances like that, I wish the board moderator would just close the thread.

I'll reply to your question about the "welcome to CC" posts. In many forums, it is a part of the custom of acknowledging someone who is new to posting on the forum. Usually, the "welcome" is accompanied by an informational reply. It's just a way to be friendly in an anonymous Internet world.

Think of what happens when you are having a conversation IRL (aka "in real life" with a group. Someone will ask a question, many will answer, agree with each other, disagree with other. Same goes on here. But, there is the twist that, being anonymous, some of us (and I am guilty of this) will start "arguing" among ourselves just to argue. It's life, whether on the Internet or IRL…

Hi there

I agree that you have been seeing this sort of response more often recently. It may be because there have been a surge of new members.

It is more often than not that these are new members. (ask specific cruise line or port of call questions on the more general "ask cruise question board")

There is no reason not to give your answer if you have one but you are not being really helpful if you don't also direct them to the more appropriate board/thread. They are new to the site and likely haven't explored the resources that are available yet.

You are not only limiting the person who you are responding to because they will likely get fewer varied/relevant responses because not all people look at this board, but you are also limiting the people who are actually trying to find answers to questions in the appropriate board. It would be at least encouraging multiple queries on the same subject, which is already bad enough because few people seem to be able to or are aware that they can do a search on a topic.

As another cc member pointed out, this website is nicely laid out. It wouldn't be very useful if everyone asked/answered all the questions in one board.

Also I would encourage everyone who is willing to be helpful no matter how many posts they have but I also understand the dedication that some those high posters would have. This is a really great site and it all the contributors that make it great. So we should all be proud.

have a good evening

Edited by Nic6318

I'll reply to your question about the "welcome to CC" posts. In many forums, it is a part of the custom of acknowledging someone who is new to posting on the forum. Usually, the "welcome" is accompanied by an informational reply. It's just a way to be friendly in an anonymous Internet world.

Think of what happens when you are having a conversation IRL (aka "in real life" with a group. Someone will ask a question, many will answer, agree with each other, disagree with other. Same goes on here. But, there is the twist that, being anonymous, some of us (and I am guilty of this) will start "arguing" among ourselves just to argue. It's life, whether on the Internet or IRL…

Well said.

I can tell you when I thank someone for taking the time to write a review, I generally mean it. I'm not trying to up my post count. I couldn't care less about my post count. I enjoy reading reviews, and being someone who has written one myself, I know how much time and effort goes into writing one. So I want the person to know that it is appreciated, and that someone is reading it. If no one ever replies to someone's review, then that person might wonder if anyone is reading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When a "newbie' joins CC, rather than just a "welcome to CC" from a many times poster, I think it would be nice if the thread moderator welcomed the new person and maybe went over some of the "do's and don'ts", how to post, where to post, how to find things, how to work the boards, etc.

When a "newbie' joins CC, rather than just a "welcome to CC" from a many times poster, I think it would be nice if the thread moderator welcomed the new person and maybe went over some of the "do's and don'ts", how to post, where to post, how to find things, how to work the boards, etc.

While in theory, this would be nice, I am not sure it would work in practice. I am sure there are many people joining each day. Would we be inundated by posts from a moderator?

Many do not post on the day they join. So where would the welcome, etc. be posted?

I am sure that not all new members look at the same area.

There is no reason not to give your answer if you have one but you are not being really helpful if you don't also direct them to the more appropriate board/thread.

You are not only limiting the person who you are responding to because they will likely get fewer varied/relevant responses because not all people look at this board, but you are also limiting the people who are actually trying to find answers to questions in the appropriate board.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him dinner.

Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for life.

Well, having cruised with one of our mods, I can attest to the fact that they are far too busy to do that, with every new member. My suggestion would be for the new folks to really READ the community guidelines, before they check the box saying that they have. :rolleyes:

And for folks who need technical help the "need help using these boards" thread is great. Host Kat has helped me, over the years, with several posting problems. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Hi there

I agree that you have been seeing this sort of response more often recently. It may be because there have been a surge of new members.

It is more often than not that these are new members. (ask specific cruise line or port of call questions on the more general "ask cruise question board")

There is no reason not to give your answer if you have one but you are not being really helpful if you don't also direct them to the more appropriate board/thread. They are new to the site and likely haven't explored the resources that are available yet.

You are not only limiting the person who you are responding to because they will likely get fewer varied/relevant responses because not all people look at this board, but you are also limiting the people who are actually trying to find answers to questions in the appropriate board. It would be at least encouraging multiple queries on the same subject, which is already bad enough because few people seem to be able to or are aware that they can do a search on a topic.

As another cc member pointed out, this website is nicely laid out. It wouldn't be very useful if everyone asked/answered all the questions in one board.

Also I would encourage everyone who is willing to be helpful no matter how many posts they have but I also understand the dedication that some those high posters would have. This is a really great site and it all the contributors that make it great. So we should all be proud.

have a good evening

I agree! I sometimes direct someone to another part of the board and my intent in doing so is to send them to an area where more people who can answer their question will see their post. I see it as being helpful (had no idea it annoyed some people!). :o

That information is in the stickies at the top of each section. I'm sure most don't read it though.

Guest maddycat
Hi there

have a good evening

I agree! I sometimes direct someone to another part of the board and my intent in doing so is to send them to an area where more people who can answer their question will see their post. I see it as being helpful (had no idea it annoyed some people!). :o

I'm also one of those who directs posters to different boards. Usually the poster is new to cc and might not know about cruise line specific boards, port of call boards, home port boards, the cruise insurance board, etc. I'm really just trying to be helpful. Reading and posting on specific boards rather than general boards has helped me gain very useful information from some very knowledgeable cc members.

And of course none of us have any idea why.

I know when I am in hospital or restricted to bed I post a lot, just because I have time on my hands.

Less often when I'm working.

I know what you mean. When we had major damage to our house in 2010, we had workers here for the better part of 6 months. Also spent a lot of time here in 2011 when I fell and fractured my wrist in 2 places -- casts for 3 months and then therapy for another 4 months. 2012 brought a water pipe disaster and damage to 2 levels of our house and 3 months of repairs. 2015 -- I fell backwards in my handicapped shower and fractured my "3 lumbar -- 7 weeks wearing a back brace and then an unsuccessful surgery.

Lots of time on my hands.

Glad I am retired.

I know what you mean. When we had major damage to our house in 2010, we had workers here for the better part of 6 months. Also spent a lot of time here in 2011 when I fell and fractured my wrist in 2 places -- casts for 3 months and then therapy for another 4 months. 2012 brought a water pipe disaster and damage to 2 levels of our house and 3 months of repairs. 2015 -- I fell backwards in my handicapped shower and fractured my "3 lumbar -- 7 weeks wearing a back brace and then an unsuccessful surgery.

Glad I am retired.

As a Host for more than 20 years, it's been my experience that Cruise Critic has a very large base of experienced and very friendly cruisers, such as KK, who love cruising and sharing their knowledge. They are the backbone of these boards.

And yes, when some members are confined and have internet access, what better than enjoying, vicariously, the cruise experience through the participation of others.

I just underwent major surgery and during the long spells in hospital being bored stiff with the limited TV programs available. My sanity was saved by these boards by reading (and contributing to) roll calls for trips we've been on, and the "live from" threads.

Of course I've seen the posts that seem to be made solely to add to post counts, but there are only a few of them and, fortunately, there are no awards for the most posts.

Glad I am retired.

I hope your back improves,

I live with chronic pain from back issues, (problems at 15 levels) and am n and out of a wheelchair, months on end in bed and this site and another maintained what little sanity I had.