Is a wine opener okay?

If you bring one, be sure it is a small travel one. I brought our full size one and they took it and said we could get it back at the end of the cruise. Unfortunately I did not want to go through the hassle of getting it back, so someone has a nice corkscrew. I learned my lesson on that one.

Better yet, bring wines with screw caps...that's what we did.

Some think screw caps indicate 'cheap' wine, however we went to a wine seminar in Atlantic City a couple of years ago and many wine experts say that in many cases screw caps are preferred as they keep the wine 'fresher'.

Don't bring the kind with a knife.

I always bring a small one with very small knife and never had a problem, except when we had it in checked luggage and RCCL had suitcase in naughty room, but was able to pick it up with corkscrew and bring it back to room. Have had customs take them if I was going on a plane ( I always have one in back pocket, we do lots of byob restaurants)

I have one of these in every suitcase that DH and I use for travel. There have been many times on land trips where we've picked up a bottle of wine to enjoy in our room. I think the knife would only be an issue for carryon-luggage. It's never been an issue in a checked bag.

100PCS-lot-metal-font-b-Wine-b-font-knife-font-b-corkscrew-b-font-font-b.jpg

Edited by Queen of Oakville

I bring one of the ones with the rabbit ears on either side. You screw into the cork, and they gradually move up. Then you push down on both at the same time to remove the cork. I carry it on board. We've also brought a champagne opener, and once I tell them what it is, security is o.k. with it.

Edited by knittinggirl

Was never a fan of the corkscrew that RC provides. It gives you no mechanical leverage to pull the cork so you have to do it yourself.

That said, some of the advice is good. Would recommend against the kind with a knife as you may come across a rules lawyer security agent.

Personally, I don't see the issue if you can't have a foil knife on your corkscrew, but you can get a steak knife with your dinner.

If flying, put it in your checked bag, then transfer to your carry on before boarding if possible. Saves a possible trip to the naughty room.

I recall one cruise we received a cheap plastic (handle) one w/screw only, along with a wine/fruit basket. For whatever reason, after using it - it ended up is the side pocket of our carry on travel bag.

Fast forward to next cruise (same ship, a few months later) and it was somehow still in that side pocket. We were pulled aside after the bag went through the x-ray. We had left that in there - they found it, and confiscated it. It even said Celebrity on the handle! I suppose they considered the screw a potential weapon... :rolleyes:

We arrived in our cabin only to find another basket... and an identical corkscrew !!

Tom

We had driven to port and had a nice version of the waiter's corkscrew type of wine opener pictured in post #11 taken from me by shoreside security. I tried to show them the little foil cutter blade was the kind that wasn't sharp at all and even asked them to let me break the blade off, but no dice. They took it and gave me a claim form (but I forgot to claim it back after we disembarked :().

My steward gave me one of those FANTASTIC (:rolleyes:) Royal corkscrews. As TBone noted, these provide no mechanical leverage whatsoever, making it especially difficult for those with weak or arthritic hands. Both us and the corkscrew gave up after 20 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to open any of the 4 bottles of wine I had brought onboard for our 2 cabins. Fortunately, a very friendly bartender was able to actually salvage and open the bottle with the badly mangled cork. I know he appreciated the tip I gave him but I think he enjoyed the challenge and my delight even more. After that first day, when I needed I would just bring a bottle with me to be opened at dinner in the MDR.

As Tom's experience shows, even those cheap screw only ones are not necessarily safe in your carry-on bag. My corkscrew now goes in my checked luggage. With that, so far I've never had a problem. :)

~ Judy

We had driven to port and had a nice version of the waiter's corkscrew type of wine opener pictured in post #11 taken from me by shoreside security. I tried to show them the little foil cutter blade was the kind that wasn't sharp at all and even asked them to let me break the blade off, but no dice. They took it and gave me a claim form (but I forgot to claim it back after we disembarked :().

My steward gave me one of those FANTASTIC (:rolleyes:) Royal corkscrews. As TBone noted, these provide no mechanical leverage whatsoever, making it especially difficult for those with weak or arthritic hands. Both us and the corkscrew gave up after 20 minutes of unsuccessfully trying to open any of the 4 bottles of wine I had brought onboard for our 2 cabins. Fortunately, a very friendly bartender was able to actually salvage and open the bottle with the badly mangled cork. I know he appreciated the tip I gave him but I think he enjoyed the challenge and my delight even more. After that first day, when I needed I would just bring a bottle with me to be opened at dinner in the MDR.

As Tom's experience shows, even those cheap screw only ones are not necessarily safe in your carry-on bag. My corkscrew now goes in my checked luggage. With that, so far I've never had a problem. :)

~ Judy

I posted earlier (#14) the type of opener I take on our Cruises. I stand corrected. We are starting the packing process for our upcoming Cruise and in our Cruise first aid kit (which is in our checked luggage) is exactly the type of opener we take on our Cruises that is in post #11 of this thread. Go figure! Maybe because it's in our checked luggage we haven't encountered any issues with it. We were also given one of those RCCL openers and I hated it. Gotta have some leverage.

Edited by davekathy

No problem to bring a standard corkscrew on to any ship we've been on, whether in checked bag or carry-on.

For airport purposes, I carry a corkscrew that has an integrated foil cutter in the end instead of a knife. At the airport, just put it in the tray with your coins so it can be easily seen. Same thing with a nail clipper -- bring one without the pointed file that pulls out. If you put either corkscrew or nail clipper in your carry-on, TSA will pull you aside and inspect, then send your carry-on back through the x-ray a second time. Just get it out as described above on the first pass through -- no hassle that way.

No problem to bring a standard corkscrew on to any ship we've been on, whether in checked bag or carry-on.

For airport purposes, I carry a corkscrew that has an integrated foil cutter in the end instead of a knife. At the airport, just put it in the tray with your coins so it can be easily seen. Same thing with a nail clipper -- bring one without the pointed file that pulls out. If you put either corkscrew or nail clipper in your carry-on, TSA will pull you aside and inspect, then send your carry-on back through the x-ray a second time. Just get it out as described above on the first pass through -- no hassle that way.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Flew two days ago with my travel cork screw without any issue. I even got pulled aside for the "random" inspection and after the hand search TSA had no issue with it in my carry on bags.

Granted, it's not my favorite wine opener tool but it works and it gets through security without an issue.

BTW: we belong to a wine of the month club and at least once a year get bottles with screw tops. Personally, I like them and if you talk to the wine professionals they are better than corks. Vintners like them because there is less failure in the bottling process.