waiver to drink for 20 yr old

i know on NCL i was able to sign a waiver for my son to drink beer even though he was under 21. Does RCCL do the same ?

No, there is no waiver you can sign for your son to drink. Drinking age for North American sailings is 21. Drinking age is 18 for sailings from Europe, Asia, South America, Australia.

Edit to add policy:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

Edited by reallyitsmema

i know on NCL i was able to sign a waiver for my son to drink beer even though he was under 21. Does RCCL do the same ?

Not out of US based ports.

I see that your upcoming cruise is on the Anthem out of New Jersey.

No.

The drinking age is 21, period.

We sailed many times many years ago to the Mexican Riviera and at that time you could sign a waiver for your 18 year olds as it was considered international waters. I do realize that has now changed..but it used to be an option.

They are not supposed to be drinking but many do.

My nephew a few years ago was 17 and hooked up with a bunch of kids who managed to acquire plenty of alcohol on the ship.

Not sure where they got it from...

They are not supposed to be drinking but many do.

My nephew a few years ago was 17 and hooked up with a bunch of kids who managed to acquire plenty of alcohol on the ship.

Not sure where they got it from...

I'm sure he made his parents proud of his ingenuity - particularly if he'd been caught and the whole family had been put off the ship at the next port.

I'm sure he made his parents proud of his ingenuity - particularly if he'd been caught and the whole family had been put off the ship at the next port.

i'm sure your parents are real proud of your criticism geri, real proud

We sailed many times many years ago to the Mexican Riviera and at that time you could sign a waiver for your 18 year olds as it was considered international waters. I do realize that has now changed..but it used to be an option.

U r Correct about 10+ years ago it was allowed for 18 year olds on RCI, Mexican Rivera cruises, because they were just changing the rules when r eldest was going to be 18.

When my dd was 20 (3 weeks off 21) we treated her to a cocktail in ports - she would never have been happy breaking any laws or rules set by the boat or any country we visited, as she has been brought up not to do so. That is why even although she can freely drink alcohol at home (uk over 18 - in fact 17 for wine. beer with food) she was appalled at the number of under age-ers drinking and getting quite drunk on our new years cruise a few years ago. She (as did the rest of our party) thought that the 18-20 year aged group seemed so so much younger than the same age young adults at home. Here at 21 she was finishing Uni, lining up carer options and in the process of buying her first house. At the time the 18-20 group on the ship seemed more like my youngest dd age of 16. I.e the age were as a parent you need to know what the are up to all the time :).

Edited by fragilek

No, there is no waiver you can sign for your son to drink. Drinking age for North American sailings is 21. Drinking age is 18 for sailings from Europe, Asia, South America, Australia.

Edit to add policy:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

I know you said North America, but wouldn't Canadian Sailings be 18/19? (Cruises leaving Vancouver where the drinking age is 19 or cruises leaving Quebec City where the drinking age is 18)

It baffles me how you can vote for your leader and serve for your country at 18 but you can't legally unwind with a pint until you're 21.

Some states tried younger drinking ages in the 70's. The increased incidence of DUI caused our state to raise the age back to 21 a few years later.

Oct 2015 we cruised from Venice with our 18 yrs old. She could have purchased wine & beer package. In Feb 2016 we cruised from Port Canaveral. She is now 19 but should not have been able to have even a glass of wine at dinner. However, our MDR waiter said they have a "tolerance" with European adults traveling with their parents and served her a glass every night. That's about all what she would have enjoyed without us at home. European young adults seem to mature and grow up earlier than their counterparts in Us.

When my dd was 20 (3 weeks off 21) we treated her to a cocktail in ports - she would never have been happy breaking any laws or rules set by the boat or any country we visited, as she has been brought up not to do so. That is why even although she can freely drink alcohol at home (uk over 18 - in fact 17 for wine. beer with food) she was appalled at the number of under age-ers drinking and getting quite drunk on our new years cruise a few years ago. She (as did the rest of our party) thought that the 18-20 year aged group seemed so so much younger than the same age young adults at home. Here at 21 she was finishing Uni, lining up carer options and in the process of buying her first house. At the time the 18-20 group on the ship seemed more like my youngest dd age of 16. I.e the age were as a parent you need to know what the are up to all the time :).

Please read this study and the summary. It actually compares the US to Europe.

http://resources.prev.org/documents/ESPAD.pdf

I liked your post. Just for the record, not "all" kids in the US go crazy with drinking etc. Like your daughter, many are very successful by 21 and purchasing homes. My son at 22 and his wife at 19 purchased their first house (w/o the help of mommy/daddy:D) and he is in the military and in college at the time.

I also noticed in Europe, that my younger son, who was "legal" in Europe, did have a few beers several years ago. I have noticed several times that I really did not see young adults going crazy over the 18 or 16 for beer rules on drinking in my travels.

It baffles me how you can vote for your leader and serve for your country at 18 but you can't legally unwind with a pint until you're 21.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

From my own experience where I worked, the increase of the drinking age to 21 cut traffic fatalities and serious injuries by more than half along with barroom brawls and other alcohol related arrests. Less drinkers also forced many establishments to close.

I know you said North America, but wouldn't Canadian Sailings be 18/19? (Cruises leaving Vancouver where the drinking age is 19 or cruises leaving Quebec City where the drinking age is 18)

I agree with what you are saying, I was just quoting the policy.:) Maybe because those sailings tend to hit US ports, they stay with a 21 yr old drinking age for the full sailing.

They will gladly serve your under 21 child at most any bar in the Caribbean.

I can imagine how frustrated he is.

I'd been of legal drinking age for two years in Texas, and when visiting California, they had 21 age at the time, and since I was 20, they wouldn't let me drink. Not even if my parents bought.

No worries, when he gets into his 50s, it will just be a funny story for him.

As European I am amazed at the number of Americans that get upset at under 21s drinking but are quite happy to let them use handguns.

If you want to compare gun deaths in the states for under 21s to those in Europe you might get a nasty shock.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Especially this election year, where you would need to be drunk in order to vote for a few of the people running for office.

Can we please leave politics and hot topics like guns out of this? Not sure how thats cruise related or Royal Caribbean related at all. This place seems to be the only safe haven from those kind of topics I can find these days.

Edited by ryano

As European I am amazed at the number of Americans that get upset at under 21s drinking but are quite happy to let them use handguns.

If you want to compare gun deaths in the states for under 21s to those in Europe you might get a nasty shock.

This is one the most pathetic examples I've seen on CC for some time of changing the subject and bringing up irrelevant tangents........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: A truly absurd post.

I can imagine how frustrated he is.

I'd been of legal drinking age for two years in Texas, and when visiting California, they had 21 age at the time, and since I was 20, they wouldn't let me drink. Not even if my parents bought.

No worries, when he gets into his 50s, it will just be a funny story for him.

They raised the drinking age in increments here and my brother's birthday was in October. For a couple of years he could legally drink for only two months and five days out of the year.