Oceania seems overpriced

doublebzz

When we first tried Oceania, we went with an open mind and did not compare Oceania with any other cruise lines that we sailed as that would have driven us crazy. Instead, we boarded with an open mind and delved into the experience. We loved the Riviera - food and service were amazing. It wasn't until we got home that we did comparisons between Oceania and other lines we have sailed. IMO, it is easier to make comparisons once you have had a chance to digest the experience.

Everyone has different tastes. The restaurant I like least on Oceania is rated best by others. While we like the two newer/larger ships, other people only want to sail on the smaller ships. You really need to judge for yourselves.

We have read good things about Azamara (especially that the crew is friendler than on other cruise lines). On the other hand, they sail the same type of ship as Oceania does (originally Renaissance ships) and we do not care for the size of the cabins, bathrooms, etc. so it is unlikely that we will ever sail on Azamara.

Enjoy your experience on Oceania!

One of the reasons we booked our upcoming Riviera ship cruise is because it was the inbetween size and wanted to see if it provided better entertainment opportunities than the smaller ones...like Azamara - which we like alot but they have cut back their live music venues and we like to dance. Also for years we've been reading how Oceania offers a bit more upscale, but casual experience- however, from much of what I have read that's not quite so true anymore. Oh well, we may have arrived late for the party! We've also recently tried Celebrity and really enjoyed it alot. Larger ships (never been on a mega) can also very nice and Celebrity Aqua Class was very nice -- nice options for music, dancing, good food and nice speciality restaurants and the staff were excellent, in good spirits and the ship never felt crowded despite at capacity.

We are looking forward to our cruise in June on the Riviera!

As many others, including Jackie (aka "Travelcat2"), say continually, it is different strokes for different folks.

For me, all-inclusive drinks is important. It is not a question of cost, since typically an Oceania cruise plus a drink package is the same or less than other lines with all-inclusive. The difference is that on the all-inclusive ships more people are out and about in the lounges in the evening, which makes the whole social experience that much more pleasant. Also, I find the frenzied crush on Riviera during happy hour and especially the open-bar Captain's Reception evening to be unacceptable.

Also important to me is open dining.

Cabin size is not crucial to me within reason, and I don't care much about balconies. My wife feels differently about both of these. But an interior cabin would have to awfully inexpensive for me to even consider it.

Ship size is also not important but I've never been on a ship bigger than Riviera. I prefer the 700 passenger Regent Voyager to the 490 passenger Regent Navigator, but I'm not sure why.

For each of these issues, I have friends who feel differently. Maybe you to too. My purpose here it to put together a list that you may wish to consider in making your choices.

The good news is that all the major lines work hard to offer a quality product at a competitive price. So if you are willing to just settle back and have fun, you are unlikely to go wrong with any choice that you make. Conversely, if you tend to be hyper-critical no cruise will satisfy you.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

One of the reasons we booked our upcoming Riviera ship cruise is because it was the inbetween size and wanted to see if it provided better entertainment opportunities than the smaller ones...like Azamara - which we like alot but they have cut back their live music venues and we like to dance. Also for years we've been reading how Oceania offers a bit more upscale, but casual experience- however, from much of what I have read that's not quite so true anymore. Oh well, we may have arrived late for the party! We've also recently tried Celebrity and really enjoyed it alot. Larger ships (never been on a mega) can also very nice and Celebrity Aqua Class was very nice -- nice options for music, dancing, good food and nice speciality restaurants and the staff were excellent, in good spirits and the ship never felt crowded despite at capacity.

We are looking forward to our cruise in June on the Riviera!

Luvtravel, have you gone back to your TA with the price reductions you have seen? Perhaps he or she can get you a cabin upgrade. I think the issue is with your TA as most of us received the early winter price reduction through our TA's.

As I recall the rule is that if there are cabins available in the category you have booked, then you can get the reduction. Has that question even been asked? Maybe it has -- it just wasn't clear to me from your post.

If there aren't available cabins in your category, then I believe you are out of luck ... but if you ask for SOME other benefit (other than a fare reduction), you might get it. Especially if you have a good TA to do the asking!

Mura

As I recall the rule is that if there are cabins available in the category you have booked, then you can get the reduction. Has that question even been asked? Maybe it has -- it just wasn't clear to me from your post.

If there aren't available cabins in your category, then I believe you are out of luck ... but if you ask for SOME other benefit (other than a fare reduction), you might get it. Especially if you have a good TA to do the asking!

Mura

Mura, I'm on this cruise and it's been pretty wide open, so I'm surprised Luvtravel didn't get the early price reduction.

That is why I asked if THEY had asked. Perhaps they just assumed.

Or they could be in a category (like an OS or VS!) that tends not to have availability.

However, we did once get a last minute upsell to an OS (our first and last) in 2005 on Regatta ... so sometimes there are cancellations for top suites (always assuming that is what people are interested in) ... but there are so few of them, especially on the "R" ships, that getting a price reduction for one of those is probably near impossible.

Mura

What about the added perks of O-Life? On the "new voyage collection" that was just released you can choose between free excursions, OBC or a free house beverage package. And Internet is included on those cruises too! We have two cruises booked that offer 4 free excursions each, OR $400 OBC each. If you take the OBC you can use it towards gratuities. I have never been on a Celebrity cruise so not sure what they include or if you pay to go to the Specialty restaurants or for Internet. I can't imagine that there is a Celebrity ship as nice as the Oceania Marina....(I have never been on the Riviera but understand it is the same as the Marina). The cabins are very nice as well. We previously cruised on Regent and now Oceania is our favorite. We are not big drinkers so the drink package is of no interest to us.

Also some TA's give additional (VERY LARGE) discounts in the form of a rebate and OBC's. Mine does. :)

Edited by Carol From California

What about the added perks of O-Life? On the "new voyage collection" that was just released you can choose between free excursions, OBC or a free house beverage package. And Internet is included on those cruises too! We have two cruises booked that offer 4 free excursions each, OR $400 OBC each. If you take the OBC you can use it towards gratuities. I have never been on a Celebrity cruise so not sure what they include or if you pay to go to the Specialty restaurants or for Internet. I can't imagine that there is a Celebrity ship as nice as the Oceania Marina....(I have never been on the Riviera but understand it is the same as the Marina). The cabins are very nice as well. We previously cruised on Regent and now Oceania is our favorite. We are not big drinkers so the drink package is of no interest to us.

Also some TA's give additional (VERY LARGE) discounts in the form of a rebate and OBC's. Mine does. :)

Celebrity cruises includes either internet, OBC or a classic drink package. The classic includes everything up to $8. You can upgrade for $10 a day pp plus gratuity to the premium package which includes everything up go $12 or 13. If you book a suite you get all perks including a premium drink package and a private restaurant for suites.

I love the S class ships but I can't compare them to Oceania as we haven't sailed them yet.

We booked a heavily discounted "O" Med cruise with our TA about a month ago. The price included "O" air, Olife and prepaid grats (from TA). As previously mentioned, most sailings are wide open this summer due to a couple obvious reasons and Oceania is trying to fill a plethora of empty cabins. It doesn't help they have an extra ship (Sirena) in the Med to fill this summer.

With that being said and considering the price we paid, I find "O" to be a great value for the money. Ship size, suite size, food quality, itineraries, etc... are the reasons we keep coming back.

We've sailed both Royal & celebrity over the past 7 or 8 years and IMO neither compares favorably to "O".

We booked a heavily discounted "O" Med cruise with our TA about a month ago. The price included "O" air, Olife and prepaid grats (from TA). As previously mentioned, most sailings are wide open this summer due to a couple obvious reasons and Oceania is trying to fill a plethora of empty cabins. It doesn't help they have an extra ship (Sirena) in the Med to fill this summer.

With that being said and considering the price we paid, I find "O" to be a great value for the money. Ship size, suite size, food quality, itineraries, etc... are the reasons we keep coming back.

We've sailed both Royal & celebrity over the past 7 or 8 years and IMO neither compares favorably to "O".

That's good to hear. I'm sure they just seem expensive because we haven't experienced them yet to see the difference.

An open mind is all you need.

Why not decide for yourself what you think of Oceania rather than depend on others' opinions

Everyone values different things and values the same thing differently - only you can decide for yourself whether you like something or not.

I hope you'll have an enjoyable cruise. :)

Thank you. I am expecting to have a great cruise and am looking forward to a different experience.

For example, while we never have afternoon tea on Azamara I don't think we'll be able to resist it on Oceania.

And we will be cruising to some of the most gorgeous ports in the Med. What's not to like :)

Thank you. I am expecting to have a great cruise and am looking forward to a different experience.

For example, while we never have afternoon tea on Azamara I don't think we'll be able to resist it on Oceania.

And we will be cruising to some of the most gorgeous ports in the Med. What's not to like :)

Afternoon teas on O are pretty special.

IMO, they are best at sea (we've cruised on all lines but Crystal).

Look for Paris - Brest dessert - our favorite :)

Hi,

I enjoy Azamara and Oceania, but Oceania just edges it for me, for the food,

and their incredibly comfortable beds :D

Although Azamara's crew and officer interaction almost make up for that :)

Different experiences but both are great cruise lines.

If you enjoy your Nautica experience, consider a cruise on Riviera or Marina.

There are some good deals on Oceania at the moment and I think prices compare very favourably, especially when the O life package is taken into consideration.

We chose the OBC as we are not big drinkers and tend to join roll call tours on shore.

Also UK travel agents don't tend to offer extra OBC.

Whatever, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy your cruise, have a lovely holiday.

Hi Spursgirl.

We too have jumped from Azamara as I got fed up of the constant cheese paring drinks in suites no fresh juice etc.

I am sure we will miss the crew but £6400 saved makes up for a lot of smiles.

Are you on the Venice to Barcelona?

Hi,

I enjoy Azamara and Oceania, but Oceania just edges it for me, for the food,

and their incredibly comfortable beds :D

Although Azamara's crew and officer interaction almost make up for that :)

Different experiences but both are great cruise lines.

If you enjoy your Nautica experience, consider a cruise on Riviera or Marina.

There are some good deals on Oceania at the moment and I think prices compare very favourably, especially when the O life package is taken into consideration.

We chose the OBC as we are not big drinkers and tend to join roll call tours on shore.

Also UK travel agents don't tend to offer extra OBC.

Whatever, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy your cruise, have a lovely holiday.

Thank you Glenndale.

One of your comments is music to my ears - the comfortable beds you mention on O. I have found the beds on Azamara to be very hard and generally ask for two 'egg crates'. However might not have to do this in the future as I believe all the beds have been replaced in the recent refurbishment.

Interested that as an Az cruiser you think that O has the edge. Looking forward to judging for myself in a few months.

Hi Spursgirl.

We too have jumped from Azamara as I got fed up of the constant cheese paring drinks in suites no fresh juice etc.

I am sure we will miss the crew but £6400 saved makes up for a lot of smiles.

Are you on the Venice to Barcelona?

Hello procter,

Sadly our paths won't cruise on this occasion. Our cruise is from Barcelona to Rome.

Hope you and Freda have a wonderful experience on O - will be very interested in your verdict on your return.

Thank you Glenndale.

One of your comments is music to my ears - the comfortable beds you mention on O. I have found the beds on Azamara to be very hard and generally ask for two 'egg crates'. However might not have to do this in the future as I believe all the beds have been replaced in the recent refurbishment.

You might not need a ladder to get into your bed now! :D

We will have a great time together on Nautica.....even if we are the only people still up after midnight!

We are currently on Regatta after a 8 year absence. We are platinum on Cunard, Elite Plus on Celebrity and have done several cruises on other lines, including Crystal and Regent. IMO, Oceania is a great value and we enjoyed this cruise so much, we booked a transatlantic for 2017 with what I think is a very unique itinerary. Try it and judge for yourself.

We have sailed on Azamara a number of times and like it very much. Like Celebrity too. Upcoming is our first Oceania cruise....know we paid far too much for it...price dropped substantially several times since we did our final payment. Booking too far ahead with them doesn't pay it seems. We will be interested to see how it compares to Azamara. We liked having drinks/wine inclusive on Azamara. On Oceania, on top of high base price, must purchase a drink package if you want similar experience. We also experienced the very friendly officer staff on board Azamara ships....and the 'welcoming on board' they provide even returning after a day ashore. We are hoping to have a good experience on Oceania. Might be a 'one of'!

Read those lower prices carefully... I am on a cruise I booked 9 months ago and the price for a PH went from 7900 to 6100. ..... Did I get cheated by booking earily? Well I got gratuities included $400 pp, Internet included, and 5 shore ex worth $900 , and got a price reduction to $6400 before final, and O added $600 obc to an already $400.

And We are not talking air credit...

In looking at the "sale "price"... none of those extras worth some $1800 pp......were included If you take the air credit which was $800pp from the 6100 sale that reduced it to 5600 and then subrtact the $1800 brings it to a real net net of $3800pp.

The sale price was $6100 and reduced by $800 for air credit comes to $5300 !! Which sports fans the sale price is actualy $1300 MORE pp than the older booking people got.....

Plus, oh gee whiz, there are no PH cabins to book at this date so that is moot because you cant get the cabin at all , so the sale price looks nice but you can't get the cabin !!!

So, no, its not necessarily dumb or more expensive to book in advance...when you do the details earily booking gets you

On Azamar, dont the comp drinks only include wine and beer with dinner, Too I think there is far more variety on an O ship, and finaly it is nice to have the officer staff be so nice and welcoming. However, I have it on good authority that none of the officers on any line on any ship have spent their entire focus in life to meet me....nor I them. Officer contact ...is it really that big a deal?

Edited by Hawaiidan

Dan, Azamara includes wine, beer, mixed drinks as well as various liquors that are available whenever the bars are open. They do have packages for more expensive liquors and beers but, what is all included is just fine for most people as well as us.

On Azamar, dont the comp drinks only include wine and beer with dinner, Too I think there is far more variety on an O ship, and finaly it is nice to have the officer staff be so nice and welcoming. However, I have it on good authority that none of the officers on any line on any ship have spent their entire focus in life to meet me....nor I them. Officer contact ...is it really that big a deal?

The complimentary drinks include, cocktails, beer, wine at any open bar and not just lunch and dinner.

This is not a big deal to us as we are light drinkers, we were fine with their original deal of wine with lunch and dinner.

As to the ambience on board, the interaction does make a difference, it is hard to quantify and has to be experienced.:)

None of us are deluded enough to believe "that their entire focus in life to meet me" :D

As to the ambience on board, the interaction does make a difference, it is hard to quantify and has to be experienced.:)

None of us are deluded enough to believe "that their entire focus in life to meet me" :D

Quite right Glenndale....and Yes, the unique social interaction with the officers/crew on Azamara IS a big deal for us. May not be so for others....and that's one of the reasons that you may prefer Oceania and me Azamara.

That's apart from the included drinks which are all day long and not just at meal times. No-one on Azamara has to buy a drinks package unless they really want the top shelf drinks all the time. If I want a Mango Martini made with Mango Vodka then I just buy one.

My email inbox has been littered with Oceania deals in the last few days....some of which are truly exceptional prices. I wish the same deals were coming from Azamara but sadly, they aren't. I guess O might be having more trouble filling their multiple ships ....of course Azamara only has Quest and Journey and their prices are certainly going up since the "reimagining" upgrade. I love the more modern look and can't wait to try it out, but as I do about five cruises a year with Silversea, Azamara and now Oceania, as well as land holidays, then I'm also looking for a good deal.

Spursgirl and I will have a wonderful time on our Nautica cruise because we always do, no matter what cruise line we are on. As we often say, what could be better than eating, drinking and shopping our way around The Med? :)

Quite right Glenndale....and Yes, the unique social interaction with the officers/crew on Azamara IS a big deal for us. May not be so for others....and that's one of the reasons that you may prefer Oceania and me Azamara.

If the interaction with officers/crew is a big deal (as it is with us), Oceania may not be the right fit. We sail Regent where there is a lot of interaction with the officers and crew but we did not find that on Oceania. We did meet a wonderful General Manager on our first Oceania cruise and a really friendly server in Jacques on our second cruise (no longer with Oceania).

It seems that there are only a few of us that truly appreciate interacting with the wonderful crew onboard ships. Some people think we are a bit weird:D

The complimentary drinks include, cocktails, beer, wine at any open bar and not just lunch and dinner.

This is not a big deal to us as we are light drinkers, we were fine with their original deal of wine with lunch and dinner.

Been a few years...thanks for the up date.

Glendale...I almost bought a House in UK, on the river Lune in Halton On Lune ( off the A63) called Glendale house.... had fishing rights the whole bit just down stream from Devils Bridge... I was born in Glendale.... hence the attachment.

I appreciate you feelings for your pleasure derived from the staff, It just dosent work for me the same way.

O is the fit for my taste, like an old shoe..... fits me great but may not others....cheers chum