Need advice about smoking decks

irishayes

I have reserved Room 7043 on the Summit, sailing from San Juan in January, 2017.

I am concerned about where the smoking decks are located, because a previous Celebrity Cruise (Equinox) in the Mediterranean, we had a veranda room on the port side on deck 7, and the smoking deck was directly below us on Deck 5. We never could have our door open or sit out there because of the constant smoke.

How do I find out where the smoking deck is to avoid this same scenario on the Summit?

Same places... Smoking is allowed on the port side of Deck 5, port side of what ever deck the pool is on and port side of the Sunset Bar. If it bothered you before, I would look for a cabin on the starboard side.

I always try to book a starboard side cabin, that's the best way to totally eliminate the problem from the decks.

Remember, however, that once in a while they change the smoking deck from port side to starboard side. This commonly happens while bunkering, or when there are adverse weather conditions. It isn't a permanent change, and once conditions permit they go back to having smoking on the port side again.

Would I call Celebrity directly to change to the starboard side, or work through my travel agent?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

If you booked with a travel agent to begin with, then you need to have them

make any changes.

Hmm, well I booked a room through a travel agent and it was discounted. He's saying I got the last room in the group and there are no starboard rooms to switch to.

So, can someone tell me exactly where on deck 5 port side, the smoking area is? I'd like to see if our room is anywhere near it.

i may have to cancel my reservation and book new rooms at a higher rate, or just book an inside cabin. No sense paying for the veranda room if you can never use the veranda.

You should be good, it is far aft of 7043, probably under 7143 or there about.

Ken

Yes, the smoking section is usually midship only on the port side on deck 5....you should probably be ok where you are located.

If ever changing your room within the same category, you never have to cancel and rebook, especially don't do this if the pricing is higher at the time. Just have them switch you to a room that you see is available ... remember, within the same category. If you have sailed on Celebrity before, it might be important to note, you may be able to get a one category upgrade -- so if you are in a 2C, you may be able to upgrade to a 2B free of charge.

Rooms open all the time so just keep an eye open if you are still worried about the location. I notice you are in a connecting cabin so if it were me, I would also like to get rid of that issue.

Thank you for the information, but I'm a bit confused. The online agency that I booked through is telling me that I cannot change rooms because apparently they purchased a group of cabins and they are now all sold out. And I tried calling celebrity and they won't do anything for me because I booked with a travel agent. Shouldn't he be aware that I'm a past celebrity Cruiser and may be available for an upgrade?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

I never realised the smokingsections before we booked.

We are now in 6111 on Millenium. On the deckplan it looks like deck 4 (not deck 5) might be a place people can smoke. Is the smoking section the same on all ships?

PS Do they still serve sushi in the afternoon? We havenot sailed Celebrity for some years.

Edited by Ine

I never realised the smokingsections before we booked.

We are now in 6111 on Millenium. On the deckplan it looks like deck 4 (not deck 5) might be a place people can smoke. Is the smoking section the same on all ships?

PS Do they still serve sushi in the afternoon? We havenot sailed Celebrity for some years.

Yes, Deck 4, port side. It's pretty much the same on the M-Class ships, except Constellation has no smoking at the Sunset Bar on Deck 10 whereas Summit limits smoking at the Sunset Bar to the port side only. Not sure about Millennium or Infinity.

You can almost always count on Deck 4 port side, the pool deck port side, and the Mast Bar port side.

Thank you for the information, but I'm a bit confused. The online agency that I booked through is telling me that I cannot change rooms because apparently they purchased a group of cabins and they are now all sold out. And I tried calling celebrity and they won't do anything for me because I booked with a travel agent. Shouldn't he be aware that I'm a past celebrity Cruiser and may be available for an upgrade?

If you're part of a group booking through a TA, you don't have as much flexibility, including access to upgrades. It sounds like the TA was offering some sort of special to be in the specific block of rooms he'd reserved. You likely paid a lower rate for your group booking than if you had booked a standard fare either through Celebrity or at Celebrity's price through another TA. I think your choices are now: pay more to move if the TA has rooms in a higher class for sale, switch to a lower-priced inside room if the TA has them OR cancel this booking with the TA entirely and re-book with someone else.

OK, I think the smoking section will be far enough away from my cabin so that I probably won't have an issue. It looks like the theatre is directly under us on Deck 5, so I think it's safe.

Now . . why is a connecting room a concern?

Now . . why is a connecting room a concern?

Some people are concerned that it could be a noise issue if you have noisy neighbors. I don't personally have experience with these rooms, but, on the Summit, the connecting door is inside the stateroom (on some ships, the rooms connect outside the cabin in a separate foyer).

Some people are concerned that it could be a noise issue if you have noisy neighbors. I don't personally have experience with these rooms, but, on the Summit, the connecting door is inside the stateroom (on some ships, the rooms connect outside the cabin in a separate foyer).

We had a room with a connecting door inside the cabin. Yes, it was definitely

a noise issue as the neighbors had their TV on constantly and the noise

came right into our cabin underneath the connecting door. Putting a towel

there didn't help. I would never book a cabin with an interior connecting

door again.

Deanna

I have reserved Room 7043 on the Summit, sailing from San Juan in January, 2017.

I am concerned about where the smoking decks are located, because a previous Celebrity Cruise (Equinox) in the Mediterranean, we had a veranda room on the port side on deck 7, and the smoking deck was directly below us on Deck 5. We never could have our door open or sit out there because of the constant smoke.

How do I find out where the smoking deck is to avoid this same scenario on the Summit?

Never get an odd number cabin,

Always on the Smoking side, go even numbers

LOL, ok well now I'm not concerned about the smoking issue because it seems like we are sufficiently far enough forward of the smoking area on Deck 5.

But now, I'm concerned about the connecting room. I really don't want to cancel and rebook because the price I got was about $500 less than everywhere else I checked.

Do prices ever come down as the final payment date gets closer?

Edited by irishayes

LOL, ok well now I'm not concerned about the smoking issue because it seems like we are sufficiently far enough forward of the smoking area on Deck 5.

But now, I'm concerned about the connecting room. I really don't want to cancel and rebook because the price I got was about $500 less than everywhere else I checked.

Do prices ever come down as the final payment date gets closer?

The connecting door is a legitimate concern, but I wouldn't let it ruin your cruise. Your neighbors might be quieter than you are. You can always rap on the door and ask them to keep it down if they are noisy.

What concerns me more is your position right next to the forward elevators and stairs. You are going to get a LOT of foot traffic outside your door.

If you booked through a TA who purchased a block of rooms, you don't have a lot of options except to cancel and rebook through someone else.

Keep in mind, if you are REALLY sensitive to smoke, you might smell it wafting forward from the smoking areas when you are at port. While the ship is underway it won't be a problem.

Edited by sound_guy0918

For a $500 difference I wouldn't worry about it, but you could try to change your room on a wait list on the same category if it is a concern. But truly. It s a one off to get a neighbor with that loud of a tv. We have cruised 20 x and only had one time a problem with a loud neighbor.

For a $500 difference I wouldn't worry about it, but you could try to change your room on a wait list on the same category if it is a concern. But truly. It s a one off to get a neighbor with that loud of a tv. We have cruised 20 x and only had one time a problem with a loud neighbor.

Agreed. We have had many connecting cabins and never once had a noise issue.

I'm not thinking the foot traffic will be a concern. It WAS a concern on the Norwegian college spring break party boat we sailed previously, but on a Celebrity out of San Juan? I'm thinking it will be ok.

And I'm only concerned about smoke while underway, not in port. So I think I'll be good there, too.

To clarify, the price I got was $500 less PER PERSON for a veranda room, so I would have to pay $1000 to cancel and rebook elsewhere.

I think I will take my chances on getting a good neighbor on the other side of the connecting door.

Thanks for everyone's input! Looking so forward to sailing Celebrity again!!

I'm not thinking the foot traffic will be a concern. It WAS a concern on the Norwegian college spring break party boat we sailed previously, but on a Celebrity out of San Juan? I'm thinking it will be ok.

And I'm only concerned about smoke while underway, not in port. So I think I'll be good there, too.

To clarify, the price I got was $500 less PER PERSON for a veranda room, so I would have to pay $1000 to cancel and rebook elsewhere.

I think I will take my chances on getting a good neighbor on the other side of the connecting door.

Thanks for everyone's input! Looking so forward to sailing Celebrity again!!

I booked a cabin at an amazing price from an online agency too. It was okay, and I would have been happy there, but preferred a different location. I got the same story from the online agency, no more rooms at your rate. My solution? Every time I an email sale ad from them I looked to see if the prices had come back down to what I paid. Well, they did eventually and I was able to find a really great room where I wanted to be that was available on their pricing engine. I called and my room was switched, happily!