Shorts in MDR?

Redtravel

I always thought that shorts were unacceptable in the MDR at dinner. I don't wear them at dinner. On my recent cruise (May 1st), I saw people wearing shorts to dinner. We ate on deck 5 early traditional seating. There is nobody at the door entrance. As a result, people just walk in wearing shorts. Is there really anyone who has been stopped?

I always thought that shorts were unacceptable in the MDR at dinner. I don't wear them at dinner. On my recent cruise (May 1st), I saw people wearing shorts to dinner. We ate on deck 5 early traditional seating. There is nobody at the door entrance. As a result, people just walk in wearing shorts. Is there really anyone who has been stopped?

All the time but people do get through, they usually don't bother people on the first night but remind them it is not acceptable on subsequent nights. Also, occasionally you see the person who did not get their luggage.

They did on constellation even on evening chic nights.

Agreed. Although I don't remember it being on Chic night but I definitely saw a guy being seated in shorts. Doesn't bother me but I was a bit surprised no one batted an eye.

With the new suggested attire, we will see more relaxed attire. Its a vacation as the justification goes.

Also, it is kinda sad that the 'suits' make policies or suggestions and have front line employees enforce it along with the many other duties and time constraints they put on them.

I no longer even bring formal type attire. Not enforced, so I wear what I want.

Edited by shipshape sam

On summit back in April a couple at the table a few nights had the husband sent back one night for wearing Bermuda shorts but you're right I have seen kids with shorts in the past, never an adult

About a year ago, we were on the Reflection and were returning from an all day excursion that was delayed and we got on board about 30 minutes before sail away. My husband was wearing shorts, we were hungry and tired, but as soon as we approached the MDR, he was told that he must go and change. We weren't looking to break the rules but we were just so tired, we went to our stateroom and changed!

Just returned from a Med cruise on the Equinox. Based on my observations there is no enforced dress code in the MDR. It was the scruffiest group of passengers that I have encountered on any cruise. Shorts were ok in the dining room. Many people were wearing them.

I wore a jacket and tie on Chic night and felt over dressed.

Maybe it is just the European market.

I really do not see Celebrity as a premium line anymore. The food in the MDR pretty much matched the decorum and dress of the passengers -- mediocre at best.

Just returned from a Med cruise on the Equinox. Based on my observations there is no enforced dress code in the MDR. It was the scruffiest group of passengers that I have encountered on any cruise. Shorts were ok in the dining room. Many people were wearing them.

I really do not see Celebrity as a premium line anymore. The food in the MDR pretty much matched the decorum and dress of the passengers -- mediocre at best.

Wow. We were on different ships sailing at the same time and we experienced nothing like that. We had tuxes, suits, jackets. I wouldn't describe anyone as "scruffy" and the food was great.

I got turned away at the door of Blu on our last cruise. Knew the rule but always wear shorts (even in our Midwest winters) and thought I'd give it a try. Maitre d politely asked me to change while my wife laughed at me. When I returned we both had a laugh and my drink was waiting for me [emoji483][emoji106]

There are times when we return from touring a port that we just don't feel like changing for the MDR. Clean, but in shorts or jeans we go to the buffet and have a relaxing meal without receving the "stink-eye" ;) from someone at another table in the MDR. ~~Judy

We've never seen anyone attempt to go to the MDR in shorts (well, maybe a woman with dress shorts / skort, high heels and a nice top ... but never a man in a pair of shorts). One time, our friend was meeting us up in the lounge for the elite happy hour and he had a nice pair of shorts on along with a polo shirt. He was not allowed in the lounge without a pair of long pants. So, I have seen people turned away.

One thing to remember is that this type of issue is very culture-dependant...rules are rules, but be careful about being judgmental as to the appropriateness of others' clothes...

For example, I lived in Bermuda for a few years, where brightly-coloured Bermuda shorts (solid colours only) with knee socks were considered more dressy than a pair of slacks. I wasn't a fan of the look, but it taught me that the concept of "dressy" clothes was a function of my own expectations, and nothing else.

Our own expectations may differ from those of passengers from countless other countries/backgrounds that may be on board.

That being said...if they ask for no shorts in the dining room, then it's no shorts in the dining room. But shorts aren't, in and of themselves, offensive dining room clothes, and I don't even see them as a good example of sub-par attire given the fact that I've seen them at many a formal meal in my time in Bermuda.

When we were planning our summer Med cruise I noticed Crystal was a bit more formal in decorum than Celebrity. One of the reasons I stuck with Celebrity. Then I read this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49422367#post49422367

When we were planning our summer Med cruise I noticed Crystal was a bit more formal in decorum than Celebrity. One of the reasons I stuck with Celebrity. Then I read this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49422367#post49422367

The last time I was on a Celebrity ship (2014) I saw men in tee shirts and shorts in the MDR at dinner .One guy was stopped because he was wearing sandals .

I am one who regularly pushes the boundaries on Celebrity ships and often wear shorts at night but when I do I dine in the Oceanview not the MDR. If I want to dine in the MDR I put on long pants

I've seen people turned back.

I haven't cruised in Europe for 5 years but back then it was definitely more formal than anywhere else in the world I have cruised. Shorts were very rare anywhere on the ship in the evening and certainly none in the MDR. I'm not just taking about Celebrity, that was on Carnival and MSC too.

I dress smart casual because I feel good. My GF also enjoys dressing up a little. It's our

vacation to relax, so I don't get upset. I do feel shorts are not acceptable in the evening.

Breakfast & Lunch no problem in the MDR!

I noticed adults wearing shorts (not bermuda type) in the MDR every night. There was only somebody at the MDR traditional door on the first evening. I can understand that anything goes on the first night. Some people haven't received their luggage. However, I was surprised to see more shorts in the MDR every night. There also didn't see much difference in attire on chic night. I am okay with whatever people wear as long as it is clean. It would be nice if Celebrity renamed the chic night as dress up night. Nobody that I met really knew what was intended. I dressed the same way all nights. Long pants with a shirt. Worked for me.