Navigator a disappointment- dogs & other issues

Normally, corporate special needs gives the ship a couple of weeks notice when a service animal is booked, but this once we didn't know about it until embarkation. Corporate also failed to pass on one important detail about the dog. We built the "litter box" as normal, and obtained a supply of shredded paper for litter, as usual. When the guests were shown the "facilities" they mentioned that the dog had been trained only to do its business on actual kitty litter. The poor fella had a tough night until we could get to Walmart and get a few bags of kitty litter the next day.

And no, the cruise line is not allowed to charge extra for the service animal.

This thread has gotten out of control with it's political correctness.

The word disabled is now offensive and close to hate speech, that's going on 20 years. Those of you attacking the person who said crippled should know that disabled is negative.

The term to use presently is different-abled or physically challenged.

Every single person on earth is "different-abled" It's such a politically correct term that it is meaningless ...

Don't ever go to France ( or most places in Europe) where dogs in restaurants and sitting at tables is perfectly normal [emoji190].

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

It is a different culture with different 'rules'.

Every single person on earth is "different-abled" It's such a politically correct term that it is meaningless ...

Yes, agreed. But Disabled makes people feel bad because of the "dis" which is negative.

I was pointing out someone attacked someone for saying crippled when they themselves said the offensive term disabled rather than different abled.

I'm okay with you calling me crippled as I mentioned I'm not PC so bring it on.

Whenever I have a problem with any corporate entity, I go to a manager, and I voice my displeasure.

If it is not resolved to my satisfaction, I sometimes elevate it to a higher level.

And sometimes, the experience goes on Trip Advisor, and various other social media. So, trust me,

"withholding gratuities is the only logical way to express displeasure"

is pretty shortsighted and lame.

I agree with you that informing staff of the problem should be the first course of action. But, if that doesn't work then the staff did not earn their gratuities for good service,

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Margy, you surely are NOT preaching and yes, I absolutely want those people who need a service dog (I need not know the reason) should have one onboard. What you describe, with the encounter you had with a person and their service dog, is what anyone should/would expect from a true service dog behavior.

But those that are gaming the system and clearly 'breaking the established rules of behavior for the animal' need to be held accountable for their behavior as it negatively impacts other cruisers. Royal on many issues, struggles to enforce their own rules. I just would hate to have a passenger who sat on a seat after a dog sat on that seat, have an allergic reaction that caused that person to stop breathing.

This is just what scares me...I have several family members who are very allergic to dogs (plus a few other things) and are required to carry an epi-pen. It would be nice to know in advance if dogs are going to be cruising with us so we have the option to avoid them, also I too would hate for one of them to sit in a dining chair after a dog was there and have a severe reaction..Not pretty being unable to breathe. TRUE service dogs are of value and are welcomed ;)

Yes, agreed. But Disabled makes people feel bad because of the "dis" which is negative.

I was pointing out someone attacked someone for saying crippled when they themselves said the offensive term disabled rather than different abled.

I'm okay with you calling me crippled as I mentioned I'm not PC so bring it on.

I wish I could tell you what I call my daughter ... it is so not PC ... she is the sweetest thing and has no idea what the words are, and I mean it as an endearment, but I think I'd get shot if I ever said it in public ...

Ooops, I probably shouldn't say that either ... oh well ...

Back to our regularly scheduled topic ...

So our government is at fault for not being politically correct?

They give disability checks to those that have proven they are disabled.

The states give out handicapped parking plates and placards to those that are handicapped.

What about Disabled American Veterans? (DAV)

I don't think any of the above are insulted or complaining.

It is a different culture with different 'rules'.

And yet we here nothing about pandemics spreading throughout France because of dogs in restaurants. I guess pathogens adapt to the culture and rules of the country in which they reside. I have also not seen much in the way of statistics showing a disproportional number of allergic individuals constantly shooting themselves up with epipens or dropping dead from anaphylaxis.

I wouldnt mind cruising with REAL service dogs at all. I have yet to see one on my cruises. I have NO desire to cruise with someone who cant leave their pet "Ralphie" behind and think these people are scum for gaming the system. Im sorry but if the "service dog" is dressed in anything but a vest or rides around in a stroller and gets to eat off the plate at the table in the MDR, Im gonna raise the BS flag every time and it would be hard for me, as a legit service dog owner, not to say something. :rolleyes:

Some people here know I have a service dog. She is a 4.5 year old Chocolate lab that is trained to pull me in my wheelchair, fetch items I need, pick up stuff i drop and several other tasks. With that said, she stays at home when I go on a cruise. I have her and am very thankful for her but I dont HAVE to have her around all the time. I look at it as needing a break much like a parent needs a break from their kids. A cruise ship is just too many people in too tight of spaces and I have respect for my fellow passengers who dont want to cruise with a dog on board. I can go a week without her

10417829_10205197484752340_4092603063865695357_n%20360%20x%20480.jpg

Edited by ryano

Don't you think that would be incredibly discriminatory, and just plain rotten, against the fourth disabled cruiser who needs their service animal? I think that would be awful.

Hi Mollyellis,

Your response to my question is very ambiguous, does it mean that they allow four animals per cruise?

I don't know if it would be discriminatory, laws are written by lawyers so they are always open to interpretation, I don't know a lot about the American ADA but British Equality law is "top trumped" by Health and Safety legislation. I am only trying to increase my knowledge.

Pete

Sorry, but it has absolutely everything to do with being PC. There is a sizable portion of people who take offense to nearly everything, whether any offense was actually intended or not. There is also a sizable portion of the population who simply say things as they see them, and that's simply how they were raised. My father in law was most definitely one of those people who would say EXACTLY what was on his mind - if people felt offended or disrespected, well, it sucked to be them. Fact is, people are all different, and just as you may feel the word "cripple" is disrespectful, what about the word "handicapped?" Different strokes for different folks - we can also choose to be offended or not over everything in life. I personally choose to not get offended by much at all. Life is too short to sweat the little stuff...

You can call it whatever you like, over sensitive pc whatever, doesn't change the fact that some terms are rude. It costs me nothing to be respectful of others and try not to offend. And fwiw I actually don't get offended by much, but I have no issues telling someone that something is rude. I had someone tell me I looked chinky, which to Asian people is very offensive. I simply told that person that probably isn't a term they want to use.

And to say that someone would say exactly what's on their mind with no cares to who was offended or disrespected is sad. I don't consider that a positive trait. But that is the world we live in, people have no regard for anyone but themselves.

Not unlike flying the filthy barnyards in the sky these days, cruise ships will soon become the barnyards at sea. The number of people who abuse the system is growing exponentially. Corporations live in fear of saying "No". They leave their customers to fend for themselves. The customer has no choice but to take their business elsewhere.

Some people with "support" animals have absolutely no regard for other people. They are the generation of me me me. And me have the right to use your bathroom and pee on your seat. So sad.

Edited by TubbyMrT

You can call it whatever you like, over sensitive pc whatever, doesn't change the fact that some terms are rude. It costs me nothing to be respectful of others and try not to offend. And fwiw I actually don't get offended by much, but I have no issues telling someone that something is rude. I had someone tell me I looked chinky, which to Asian people is very offensive. I simply told that person that probably isn't a term they want to use.

And to say that someone would say exactly what's on their mind with no cares to who was offended or disrespected is sad. I don't consider that a positive trait. But that is the world we live in, people have no regard for anyone but themselves.

And you are certainly entitled to your opinion as well as I. I also wouldn't use the term "chinky" either, and as I said, I think that racial epithets are unnecessary. IMHO, I don't personally see a large difference between the words "disabled" or "handicapped." There is no negative intention using either one of those words in most instances. My point is that I believe that many people get hung up on things that were never intended to be insulting to begin with.

I also never said that people literally speaking their minds is always a positive trait, but is hiding behind semantics and sugar coating everything the most enviable trait either (think politicians here, BTW)? We are all different from each other and we also have to be accepting of others as they are. Your definition of rude may not be the same as others - we need to keep that in mind. Many things in life are simply a matter of perspective. BTW, I'm not trying to argue with you here....

Not unlike flying the filthy barnyards in the sky these days, cruise ships will soon become the barnyards at sea. The number of people who abuse the system is growing exponentially. Corporations live in fear of saying "No". They leave their customers to fend for themselves. The customer has no choice but to take their business elsewhere.

Some people with "support" animals have absolutely no regard for other people. They are the generation of me me me. And me have the right to use your bathroom and pee on your seat. So sad.

Unfortunately, every generation has those same sorts of people. Every generation has some great apples, as well as some rotten ones. The generation before you had some of the same people, as well as your generation, the generation after you, etc. There always have been and likely always will be abusers of every system. There is an element of society who are simply extremely self-centered and have absolutely no concept of other people. Take a look at our welfare system - there are people in the system that truly need help. There are also those who are cheating and abusing the system simply because they are lazy. There are also those whose families have been in the system for generations - that's all that some people know - they grew up that way, and have been taught that they are "owed" and have no responsibility for themselves - this has been going on for generations. Unfortunately, the bad ones can give a bad image or stigma to everyone. Same thing with life in general - there are those who simply feel entitled and above all others.....

Wow.. A dog on someone's lap in the dining room, and that gets a "YUCK?" Was it YOUR lap, or someone else's that you could simply not look at?

A baby on someones lap in a dining room is more worthy of a YUCK, as there is likely something in that baby's diaper. They really should be left at home!

Nope.. none of it bothers me, because I do not have my nose up so high in the air that I need to be concerned with what other people are doing!!!

Oh and to the OP.. seriously?? The dog licking the table made you wonder about your table? How about this... Why don't you watch the 70+ year old men come out of the restroom. MOST come right out of the stall, and out the door... and I promise... they are touching the tables! :cool::cool: Every DANG cruise!!

Edited by Mikew0805

Dogs on ships: last year on the Allure TA we encountered 5 dogs - all small white fluff balls. Two were in a stroller and apparently had their own stateroom next door to 'mother'. Other dogs were all on leads. Please don't carry on about service dogs...and emotional dogs etc. Some people just need counselling.:)

You mean like this?

pig-on-a-plane.jpg.187b3423dddc276cdabe53cd365fd694.jpg

Ryano deserves this.:)

757759835_Blueribbon.jpg.fbcc7fd37659f27720b441fff886da51.jpg

People can say what is on their mind without being rude, for sure. Unfortunately it is a learned skill and not all people have gotten that education, no matter what degree, they may have acquired.

The punchline here is that the actual "Me" generation was considered to be the Baby Boomers.

n[/url]

Interesting. everything comes around again. The baby boomers were the me generation. My mom was a baby boomer and went to work instead of staying home with me. I had to take the bus to school instead of mom driving me then picking me up from from activity to activity. Her boss never let her leave early. I went home sometimes to an empty house and let myself in my house in grade 5. My mom and dad went on cruises and vacations without me. They went to restaurants and I had a babysitter. How selfish. Parents now a days are the gen x generation and the ones where the moms went to work. They take their kids everywhere, including cruises and restaurants. I think that's generous and the opposite of of the me generation. Who knows how the millenials will raise their kids. But to someone elses post, there are good and bad in every generation but I think we can all agree that "The Greatest generation" was the best. our grandparents born in the early 1900s

Interesting. everything comes around again. The baby boomers were the me generation. My mom was a baby boomer and went to work instead of staying home with me. I had to take the bus to school instead of mom driving me then picking me up from from activity to activity. Her boss never let her leave early. I went home sometimes to an empty house and let myself in my house in grade 5. My mom and dad went on cruises and vacations without me. They went to restaurants and I had a babysitter. How selfish. Parents now a days are the gen x generation and the ones where the moms went to work. They take their kids everywhere, including cruises and restaurants. I think that's generous and the opposite of of the me generation. Who knows how the millenials will raise their kids. But to someone elses post, there are good and bad in every generation but I think we can all agree that "The Greatest generation" was the best. our grandparents born in the early 1900s

I have been pondering your post. I am from the 'me' generation....when I went back to work, it was to make my children's lives better, but not to their detriment. We did not go on vacations w/o them, and we took them out to dinner with us, so they learned how to behave in public places, and interact with others. My children's generation, almost from the day they have their child know that just to make ends meet, there has to be two people working and to provide some of the nice extras. When I worked, my boss knew when he hired me, that sometimes, I would leave early to go to the afterschool activities....he valued family and he valued my values of family (I guess I was lucky). And yes, there are good and bad in every generation....I just don't know if my grandparents generation, was the best.....World War II wasn't a great part of World History. The work ethic of my grandparents, was something that filtered down and past along to my children, but employers have surely 'taken advantage of it' to their own excesses (JMO, for sure).

I commend the efforts of young families, because leaving children in childcare at 6 weeks or 3 months to return to work full time, can't be easy. My youngest son, now mid 30's, has said often, we did a darn good job teaching him and his brother values and skills. Parents, all parents, have tough decisions to make -- the best advice I got from someone was, "Let me know how easy it is when you are in 'my shoes' making decisions". It is so true.

However none of what you and I have 'sidelined to' makes acceptable people feeling 'entitled' to things.

Edited by Paulette3028