Navigator a disappointment- dogs & other issues

JudyjudyjudyS

First sorry to hear of the issues on NOS. I saw on your post that you did b2b on two different ships. How did that work as far as transfer from one ship to the other if you don't mind elaborating i am thinking of doing this.

Was a breeze. Went to the service desk on Oasis. They told us after we cleared customs and exited the terminal, to go up to anyone and ask for help. Did that and was pointed to a desk where they were coordinating buses for the airport, etc. They had a bus we hopped on that took us directly to Navigator which was a 5 minute ride. Not a problem at all.

While not covered by the ADA there is legitimate value for animals that provide emotional support. Hence why you are now starting to see medical facilities that have a dog or cat that lives on site. To say if you can't carry on a normal life then stay home is so rude. Maybe trying talking to someone that has PTSD, anxiety or any of the many other things that can impair daily functioning so you don't continue to sound like a nasty person.

And really calling people crippled. So rude and thoughtless.

I don't think they were attempting to use the word "crippled" in a demeaning manner. That is what people with various disabilities or handicaps were called years ago. Also, not everyone is quite so sensitive. So, again, I don't believe that they were trying to be rude - they are probably like me - and don't buy into "politically correct."

By ADA law no business can ask for proof of a serive dog, they have to trust your word, however I do agree it's being HIGHLY abused. As a service dog owner you would never see a "working" dog in a lap eating off a table, wouldn't happen, when they are "working" they need to be focused and not distracted. He should have been quietly laying under the table or on the floor next to their owner. That would have really irked me.

Yes,she also enjoyed Chops for breakfast on the Brilliance in April:mad: No one would say a thing..........not there,nor the concierge...I think there should be a neutral person they could call to come and tell them not to let it sit at the table....I realize the concierge and the dining staff at Chops do not want to confront them and lose tips..or even worse,get a bad review..But it is out of hand!

I know the situation you reference on Brilliance. When pooch was brought to the Meal with an Officer, people moved to another table when dog and owners sat next to them. I would have, too. I can't understand why the owner complains that people on Royal are so unfriendly! And same pooch was brought to D+/Pinnacle/Suites breakfast on mornings by the other "parent." Who is kidding who with all this dog shenanigans -Royal needs to step up:(

Edited by gadaboutgal

I was on a cruise (RCI) about 18 months ago and saw a couple with 2 dogs which were taken everywhere in a pushchair(stroller). They were covered by a Perspex cover and when I saw them there were always laid quietly. At the time I thought it a shame that they were in a pushchair ( and for them I still think so) but from other passengers points of view, after reading about dogs being at the table in the dining room, and seeing for my self one peeing near walkers and sunbathers on deck, I think now that might be a better idea.

I certainly wouldn't sit in the dining room next to one at a table?

If anyone sees any dog eating from the table again, perhaps take a video and ask guest services how they plan to go about removing the dog from the ship, because according to their guidelines:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals&wuc=AUS

If the service dog's behaviour creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crew members, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc.

Nope. I still don't care about dogs onboard. Although apparently a lot of people do.

One of our clerical staff has a baby carriage dog. I think it is a Pomeranian. I have never seen a dog that looked more like a totally blank slate. When she does bring it to work, briefly, it sits on a wee pad next to her computer...just staring at her or into space. I wouldn't have a weird dog like that, but she loves him. (maybe a little too much :D)

What other passengers do is not really of any interest to us. They aren't being loud. They have a dog for whatever reason. They feed it at the table. (so what?) My mother's cats get on the table at her house too. We don't allow it at our house, and put them on the floor, but we are not disgusted or particularly annoyed by it.

If the cruise line allows dogs, fine. It doesn't affect us. It just doesn't seem like that big a deal.

I tend to agree with you. Heck, outside of the US it isn't uncommon to see dogs at many different places with their owners, even at restaurants, and I don't seem to read much about people becoming deathly sick at these places. This issue with dogs seems to be somewhat of an American thing.

Wow, I can't believe there isn't special certification required to bring a dog on the ship. To the poster above. It seems you have a great understanding and respect of the needs of other passengers. I would be upset if I have to deal with a barking or unruly dog. And Now that I read that they shouldn't be eating at the table I would have complained to see if they would address the person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Airlines have the same problems with multiple different types of service animals. They have to be allowed in the cabin.

Nope. I still don't care about dogs onboard. Although apparently a lot of people do.

One of our clerical staff has a baby carriage dog. I think it is a Pomeranian. I have never seen a dog that looked more like a totally blank slate. When she does bring it to work, briefly, it sits on a wee pad next to her computer...just staring at her or into space. I wouldn't have a weird dog like that, but she loves him. (maybe a little too much :D)

What other passengers do is not really of any interest to us. They aren't being loud. They have a dog for whatever reason. They feed it at the table. (so what?) My mother's cats get on the table at her house too. We don't allow it at our house, and put them on the floor, but we are not disgusted or particularly annoyed by it.

If the cruise line allows dogs, fine. It doesn't affect us. It just doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Personally, JMO, there are more issues here than just dogs on cruises. Dogs are not meant to be in carriages and to even label a dog a 'baby carriage dog' is ridiculous. To have it sit on a 'wee pad' in a work environment is even more outrageous.

What other cruisers do in public places on the ship, should be your concern, since it also is your public space. Just like we expect a lot of hand sanitizing to be done by our fellow passengers, I don't expect a dog to be fed at the table or to be found sitting on furniture. The next person who sits at that table or on that chair could be highly allergic to dander that is carried by a dog and have unnecessary medical issues due to improper table etiquette. True service animals behave the way they are properly trained, the rest are just pets owned by inconsiderate pet owners who think that what they want is all that matters.

Got off the Navigator TA yesterday.

There was at least one dog onboard , hard to tell if it was 2 , a man and woman appeared to be sharing a similar looking dog but I never saw them together. First time I met the gentleman was in the lift. He was carrying poop bags:eek:.

In all the cruises I have been on with a bona fide service dog the ship provided a wooden box with bark chippings on the aft deck for toilet purposes.

We saw the dog follow the owner , male , around the pool deck area not on leash.

A friend saw a dog being given milk from a glass guests use , she complained to the Captain about it.

I was curious about where the owners were disembarking the ship because here in the UK pets need passports and to be chipped. A lot of people disembarked in France so I suppose they could have disembarked there.

I tend to agree with you. Heck, outside of the US it isn't uncommon to see dogs at many different places with their owners, even at restaurants, and I don't seem to read much about people becoming deathly sick at these places. This issue with dogs seems to be somewhat of an American thing.

Dogs generally higher body temperature limit the number of communicable diseases they can transmit to humans. Now parasites is another story but that requires a different kind of contact :p

On another cruise line a woman paraded her dog, dressed in baby clothes, around in a stroller. The dog wore sunglasses and barked at others. The woman had the dog in the dining room in it's stroller and she proceeded to feed the dog from her plate with her fork.

This dog NEVER set foot on the floor of the ship except possibily in the cabin. The woman claimed this dog has saved her diabetic husband's life. I really wonder how this could be as the dog was not with the husband except at the dining table.

The dog was friendly to people and was allowed to be petted by other guests on the ship. Two guests at the table where the woman and dog were seated complained to the Maitre D' and asked to be moved to another table. This event was posted on the unmentionable site and the two men were blasted big time.

I do understand service dogs and on my flight to the cruise (the woman, her husband and dog were on a B2B) I met a woman who trains dogs for diabetic alerts. Believe me, this dog, a lab, sat on the floor of the plane and never interacted with anyone.

There is no doubt the woman on the cruise didn't want to kennel her dog, so she kept telling people how she has a certificate for her dog proving he is a service dog. She lives in FL and there is no doubt the certificate was purchased online and was a fake.

I do think that people like the above cause problems for people who truly do have service dogs. I am all for allowing "real" service dogs, but these pseudo-service dogs really get to me.

Different things bother different people. I've been on cruises with dogs, even those who have come to dinner in a stroller. They just don't bother me. I have been much more irritated by children than I ever have by dogs. Maybe they could make the non-smoking side of the ship the children zone and the dog zone the smoking side. I would be happy. At least the dogs are usually as cute as their "parents" think they are.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm waiting for someone to show up with their service goat, miniature pony, etc... and see what response they get from the cruise lines. Eventually a line will be drawn between the legitimate animals VS someone's foo-foo lap dog that is dressed sharper than others on formal night.

Did you see the story about the service turkey that was allowed on a Delta flight earlier this year?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/15/someone-just-used-a-federal-law-to-bring-a-live-turkey-on-a-delta-flight/

Thank you for the poking my memory! Was on the Auto Train a few years ago with the cutest French Bulldog, a proclaimed service animal.

Dog spent the 16-18 hour trip barking, whining and eliminating. Amtrak couldn't put them off since there is only 1 stop, but we did get a letter of apology and a good laugh.

Sue

I do understand service dogs and on my flight to the cruise (the woman, her husband and dog were on a B2B) I met a woman who trains dogs for diabetic alerts. Believe me, this dog, a lab, sat on the floor of the plane and never interacted with anyone.

We too have been on flights where true service dogs have been onboard. The flight attendant did come around ask for some people to switch seats so the dog would have room to lie on the floor. She also asked if anyone had issues with the dog near them. We were across the aisle. The dog, a shepherd mix I would say, laid at the owners feet the entire flight. If we didn't know it was there we would not have know a dog was on the flight.

I am an animal lover and have had just about every pet I could. Where I have an issue is with people abusing the rules to fit their desires and not thinking about anyone else. As has been mentioned a true service (whether that be physical or emotional) animal is well trained and most will not know it is there.

We did comment on our survey about the pet being in the dining room. Hindsight I should have said something right then and there but the table was a few away so didn't directly impact me. Next time I will.

I don't think I've seen in any of the previous postings a single concern with true service animals. What I've seen are comments about how RCL is not enforcing their own rules to appease a very small group of people to the detriment of thousands.

If I saw a "service" animal conducting itself, or the owner doing the things mentioned in previous postings, I'd first make a formal complaint to the person in charge of that facility. If that didn't resolve the issue, I'd move my compliant up to the next level. If the issue wasn't resolved, I'd remove all my tips for food service.

If more customers would make their complaints known in the end of cruise reviews, we'd surely outnumber the few that allow their dogs to relieve themselves as they please, eat from the tables, sit on the furniture, roam about without a leash, etc.

I've taken my service dog on 3 cruises. There is no charge from the cruise line. However, all cruise lines require documentation and the ports visited require additional documentation. For example, Cozumel required me to have an international health certificate from the USDA along with shot records. Nassau required the health certificate, shot records and an application form. Grand Cayman required the results of his titer test. When applying I always submit additional documentation such as his picture ID from the agency that trained him and my animal license from my county of residence.

Hi TeeChi,

Many thanks for the response.

Just another question, do cruise lines limit the amount of dogs they allow on board, say a total of three per ship on safety grounds?

I am just curious as we mostly sail from the UK and have never seen any dog on board, I know it would have it's own quarantine passport, chipped etc. if it did.

Pete

I don't think I've seen in any of the previous postings a single concern with true service animals. What I've seen are comments about how RCL is not enforcing their own rules to appease a very small group of people to the detriment of thousands.

If I saw a "service" animal conducting itself, or the owner doing the things mentioned in previous postings, I'd first make a formal complaint to the person in charge of that facility. If that didn't resolve the issue, I'd move my compliant up to the next level. If the issue wasn't resolved, I'd remove all my tips for food service.

If more customers would make their complaints known in the end of cruise reviews, we'd surely outnumber the few that allow their dogs to relieve themselves as they please, eat from the tables, sit on the furniture, roam about without a leash, etc.

Why on earth would you remove the tips from the food service personnel? The waitstaff have no authority to deal with the dogs, so why punish them?

.... If the issue wasn't resolved, I'd remove all my tips for food service. If more customers would make their complaints known in the end of cruise reviews, we'd surely outnumber the few that allow their dogs to relieve themselves as they please, eat from the tables, sit on the furniture, roam about without a leash, etc.

Why on earth would you remove the tips from the food service personnel? The waitstaff have no authority to deal with the dogs, so why punish them?

Fouremco - My thoughts also!

M