Yes you can wear jeans

I wear jeans with a nice long sleeve shirt and dress shoes

Just not on formal nights

Ive seen people wearing jeans, on every RCCL cruise, Ive been on

But we only started sailing Royal 6 years ago:confused:

For men, they really don't weigh much more than dockers

I bring a pair of those also

Edited by jonbgd

That response from TC1957 seemed kind of odd, anyway. I don't know if the steak house he went to was really a "white tablecloth" type of place or not, as a Zagat rating has very little to do with the formality of the decor. But wearing so-called "nice shorts" with designer labels along with flip-flops was the part that seemed a little weird to me. But, as you say, to each their own.

Zagat ratings have a lot more to do with identifying "fine dining" than white tablecloths. If Chuck-E-Cheese put white clothes over their tables every evening at 6:00 should we wear a jacket to eat there?

If you search for the top steakhouses in DFW you don't have to go far down the list to find our preferred place in the ratings of any organization/group/service.

You can believe whatever you want to believe...I really could not care less. My point was that what most people used to think of as "appropriate attire" for fine dining establishments has changed a great deal over the years. Besides...after having dined at more than one of the top restaurants in several major cities, including several with Michelin Stars, there is not a single venue on the three RCI ships we have sailed I feel are even remotely comparable.

It matters little if there is a tablecloth when the food takes a long time to get there, is luke warm at best and you have to constantly ask for your water glass to be refilled.

Edited by TC1957

In addition to my tux, sometimes I bring my dinner jacket. :eek:

I can't recall last time I brought jeans. I typically take two pair of khakis and wear them 5 nights.

We would both would be way too hot in jeans on our local cruises down here. :eek:

Alaska again this August we are bringing jeans, sweats, fleece tops....but not in the dining

room for us. And is the only cruise we ever bring jeans along on, but once again just a

matter of personal preference.

Ditto on the khakis during our local cruises. Plus we get a lot of mileage out of

black dress slacks...with mix and match tops.

Edited by island lady

Zagat ratings have a lot more to do with identifying "fine dining" than white tablecloths. If Chuck-E-Cheese put white clothes over their tables every evening at 6:00 should we wear a jacket to eat there?

If you search for the top steakhouses in DFW you don't have to go far down the list to find our preferred place in the ratings of any organization/group/service.

You can believe whatever you want to believe...I really could not care less. My point was that what most people used to think of as "appropriate attire" for fine dining establishments has changed a great deal over the years. Besides...after having dined at more than one of the top restaurants in several major cities, including several with Michelin Stars, there is not a single venue on the three RCI ships we have sailed I feel are even remotely comparable.

It matters little if there is a tablecloth when the food takes a long time to get there, is luke warm at best and you have to constantly ask for your water glass to be refilled.

I like the white table clothes made of paper that you can draw on with crayons!

Edited by island lady

First of all, Zagat ratings don't really have anything to do with "fine dining" as you suggested. You can find highly (or poorly) rated fine dining restaurants or highly (or poorly) rated casual diners. Highly rated and fine dining are quite different concepts.

Secondly, my comment had nothing to do with believing you; it was only a comment that flip-flops with nice shorts seemed weird to me. I don't spend a lot of time checking out people's footwear, but I see flip-flops mostly at places like the beach or pool.

Hello.

The Dining Room Dress Code is as follows:

Smart Casual:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal:

Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional).

Note:

• Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.
  • The dress code above is applicable to children of all ages.

We hope this info helps.

In addition to my tux, sometimes I bring my dinner jacket. :eek:

I can't recall last time I brought jeans. I typically take two pair of khakis and wear them 5 nights.

I agree completely. A Suit, Tux or a Dinner Jacket makes a meal or evening special for me. It elevates the vacation experience for us both. But I do wear jeans in cooler weather environment to board ships. I.e. TransAtlantic boardings in late November in Barcelona or Rome, that rare cool day in Seattle in September! Never hurts to have them available even if only for the cold airports and planes.

But I do find that two pairs of informal dress pants is usually a lighter weight and smaller bulk than some good 505's. A weight consideration for longer outings. So when packing I go for the Haggar Cool 18's for my standard evening attire. A golf or island shirt on Casual Nights.

Edited by BigMikefromTexas

Hello.

Smart Casual:

Formal:

Note:

• Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

We hope this info helps.

I am glad to have the explanation from you, Royal Caribbean International. I have no problem with these standards, but there is a sad lack of enforcement by the RCI staff.

Agree, if you have a dress code why oh why do you not enforce it? Personally I don't care what the official word is if I chose to sail with your company I will follow it, but it is getting harder and harder when hardly anyone else does and NOBODY enforces it.

Hello.

Smart Casual:

Formal:

Note:

We hope this info helps.

Why no enforcement

I am glad to have the explanation from you, Royal Caribbean International. I have no problem with these standards, but there is a sad lack of enforcement by the RCI staff.

I agree but don't think Royal Caribbean International will come back and answer why it's not enforced.

I am sure you do...and I am sure a good number of people from a warm weather environment are acclimated to such attire. My statement was referring to "cruises". How often do people wear jeans on cruises? My guess is not many. :) I did not state no one wears them. I just never notice them on the cruises I have been on. :) Even my husband (who lives in jeans) doesn't wear them on a cruise. :)

Sail from Galveston and you will no longer be able say you have "never seen" and "not many"

Recently off Liberty and jeans were everywhere on that ship including the Solarium.

OP, I see you are doing a 7 night Western Caribbean and I also agree that jeans on this itinerary would be too hot. They're also heavy, and luggage weight is at a premium these days. I would suggest a lighter fabric for pants, if the kids will go for that. BUT, as stated, jeans are acceptable in the dining room.

Have fun. :)

I am sure you do...and I am sure a good number of people from a warm weather environment are acclimated to such attire. My statement was referring to "cruises". How often do people wear jeans on cruises? My guess is not many. :) I did not state no one wears them. I just never notice them on the cruises I have been on. :) Even my husband (who lives in jeans) doesn't wear them on a cruise. :)

I wear jeans almost every evening on a cruise. Nice blouse / shirt and jeans. Bottom line is I am usually freezing in AC in the evenings so does not matter where I am. :);)

Why no enforcement

Because it's a cruise ship, not a prison or military barracks, so they don't hire people to be enforcers. Like most things on a cruise ship, it's generally up to the passengers to either respect it or not.

Hello.

Smart Casual:

Formal:

Note:

We hope this info helps.

When are you blessing shorts at dinner time already

I'm positive it's the robot bartender on Anthem that monitors this site

:) I did find it surprising after no posts for months that the robot bartender posted on this thread as well as the one on C+A enhancements. Maybe the robot bartender commentator is the enhancement.

Below is what I wrote in my review of Adventure from last October taken from the Cruise Compass, I also wrote the same basically the same thing in my review of other cruises also:

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass (Casual except for the two formal nights), but it was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR. I will not give my views as to what we think as that is not the purpose of my review. Casual was defined in the cruise compass as: “Sundresses or slacks and blouses for the ladies, sport shirts and trousers for the gentlemen”.

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Sunday)

Day 3 – Casual / 70’s Attire

Day 4 – Casual / Wear Something White (Sea Day)

Day 5 – Casual / Caribbean

Day 6 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 7 – Casual (Sea Day)

HOWEVER

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids (And there wasn’t very many on this cruise) wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Sunday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in Tux, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And Also On Formal Night………………………………….

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

Edited by bigque

Hello.

Smart Casual:

Formal:

Note:

We hope this info helps.

Thank you, if this if this is really the company "rules", then why isn't it enforced. We seen many men and women (mostly men) wearing ball caps at breakfast, lunch and DINNER in the main dining room. i'm not sure about the rule for shorts in the main dining room at dinner, but there were many men in shorts, especially on the LAST night.

Thank you

M

Thank you, if this if this is really the company "rules", then why isn't it enforced. We seen many men and women (mostly men) wearing ball caps at breakfast, lunch and DINNER in the main dining room. i'm not sure about the rule for shorts in the main dining room at dinner, but there were many men in shorts, especially on the LAST night.

Thank you

M

I don't get why this is so complicated for people. They don't want to be enforcers. I'm sure they'd like for people to follow the guidelines, but there will always be those who refuse to do so.

I don't get why this is so complicated for people. They don't want to be enforcers. I'm sure they'd like for people to follow the guidelines, but there will always be those who refuse to do so.

Not complicated. I wonder why they bother to list a dress code. Either have a dress code - or don't. Signage at the entrance of the dining room as well as a post in the Compass states no short/hats in the MDR at dinner, yet it is rarely if ever enforced. Until recently, Celebrity had a requirement of a jacket in the dining room, for formal night. No jacket, no entrance. If the passenger had no jacket, they gave him one to wear. The point is, the code was enforced.

Folks are SO casual now, gym shorts and t shirts for dinner.. perhaps the "dress code" keeps it from getting worse.

M