Would your TA

Sea and Me

This question is for those of you that use travel agents. I'm wondering if your TA would notify you of a "sale" and try to upgrade your cabin. Yesterday while "snooping" the RCI website I noticed that our sailing in Aug. was lower in cost!! We could reserve a balcony cheaper than our outside cabin. I compared the cost of both cabins and the balcony was $100 cheaper (a no brainer) I immediately called my TA and he worked it out. We have the balcony cabin. I then asked if he would look into our sons reservation. They booked an inside. Sure enough within 10 min. our son went from an inside to a balcony guarantee for only $70 more!!

I guess my question is this: Why wouldn't the TA know of the sale?? Why wouldn't they do the leg work?? Our son told me that I should think of being a TA--not a bad idea!! Or just start booking our cruises without a TAs help??

Thanks for your response.

Carol

This question is for those of you that use travel agents. I'm wondering if your TA would notify you of a "sale" and try to upgrade your cabin. Yesterday while "snooping" the RCI website I noticed that our sailing in Aug. was lower in cost!! We could reserve a balcony cheaper than our outside cabin. I compared the cost of both cabins and the balcony was $100 cheaper (a no brainer) I immediately called my TA and he worked it out. We have the balcony cabin. I then asked if he would look into our sons reservation. They booked an inside. Sure enough within 10 min. our son went from an inside to a balcony guarantee for only $70 more!!

I guess my question is this: Why wouldn't the TA know of the sale?? Why wouldn't they do the leg work?? Our son told me that I should think of being a TA--not a bad idea!! Or just start booking our cruises without a TAs help??

Carol

Some do, some don't. You might have stumbled on to this offer before the TA. I would say continue what you are doing, watching for better pricing and deals. Work together for your best interest. Our TA is good but I generally do the booking and then turn it over to the TA. Ours adds additional perks near time of cruise and biggest point is reminds and pays our payments when due/on time

Our TA has notified us of group bookings that become available on our cruises. That has saved us money and given us extra OBC. However, I don't expect her to be constantly looking at the prices of the many bookings she has. I do the constant price checking for our bookings.

Carol

Here's the thing. You are not the only customer that your TA is working with at any given time. Sometimes they have the downtime to search for new deals or sales, but sometimes they just don't have that free time to do that. As I'm sure you can understand, there's a lot into searching for deals and such for just one sailing...and if you multiply that by just 20 different cruises they might be working on currently on top of new quotes they work on...it is too time consuming.

It is always good to be on the lookout yourself, and then notify them like you did and they can make the adjustment.

Carol

A good TA should always keep you updated options on you travel plans. It would be wise to let them know up front that is what you expect. Our agent will from time to time call us or fire off an E-mail to lets us know of any price changes or perks that may be available,

I'm not a TA person but I can't see expecting a TA with hundreds of clients to spend all day just watching out for my account.

Now, if I find something special and I make a friendly phone call like you did, then a change can be made.

NO.

I'm monitoring the price through the site I gather lots here r using. Phone the TA, who is putting me on hold, and I get a new invoice.

I'm not charged for the price adjustments and I've done several.

I'm getting free grats and "agency discount/group booking" and very happy with the results :)

This is an often talked about issue, and certainly one worth discussing. Years ago we used a TA. As others have said, not all TAs are created equal. I know there are many good ones, but also know that they are busy, and it's not realistic to expect them to monitor every client's booking every single day. After several episodes of ME doing the legwork, and ME calling the TA to have my bookings changed when I found a price drop, I realized that no one will work harder and better for me than I will.

That said, I know there are times when TAs will offer great deals on group bookings, etc. You need to do your homework, and you need to decide how to proceed in a way that's best for you.

Happy sailing!

Here's the thing. You are not the only customer that your TA is working with at any given time. Sometimes they have the downtime to search for new deals or sales, but sometimes they just don't have that free time to do that. As I'm sure you can understand, there's a lot into searching for deals and such for just one sailing...and if you multiply that by just 20 different cruises they might be working on currently on top of new quotes they work on...it is too time consuming.

It is always good to be on the lookout yourself, and then notify them like you did and they can make the adjustment.

My thoughts too. A good TA has a large customer base, so that's a lot of customers on a lot of different cruises on a lot of different lines. Very hard to track all of those and compute possible savings. I normally have a couple or three cruises at most booked at any one time, with only two lines for the most part, so that's one task I take on myself.

My TA works for a large company and based on booking 2 cruises with her and looking into many others I'm very happy with her. She doesn't catch every new sale and I don't expect her to because she has tons of clients. But she does occasionally email me to say that latest sale doesn't apply or better yet it does and she made the change for us.

The greatest benefit is that if I bring up a sale she always looks into it on my behalf and saves me the time of calling into RCCL myself.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I don't expect our TA who probably has 1000's of clients to search everyone for price drops. I am checking our cruises regularly so if I see a drop and feel it is beneficial to us I will have she or an associate double check for me. They call me soon after I notify them and let me know if adjustments were made and I receive an updated invoice.

If a travel agent has time to check pricing, looking for reductions, for all their clients, they must not have many. The bigger agencies get discounts based on volume, that they share with their customers in the form of obc, prepaid gratuities, etc. I prefer to check myself so they can keep on booking cruises and get bigger discounts. I have gotten every discount I've asked for, happily. This may lower your perk because the price you are paying is lower. I haven't seen many price reductions lately.

I like to do my own bookings. I have found some price drops that have only lasted a couple hrs or only a day. If I had to wait to get in touch with a TA, that price drop might disappear. I've gotten some really good deals on a weekend, when most TA's are not available.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I like to do it on my own, that way I have no one to blame but myself, if I miss a price drop.

There might come a time when we book through a TA if the cruise is a little more complicated with air travel and such. We don't fly, but might have to some day. But, for right now, I'm my own TA......and I do the best I can!

Gwen :)

Carol

not all TAs are created equal.

some will spend lots of time stalking sales for their clients. others will not. and some actually charge you to make any sort of changes at all.

I think this answer sums it up very well.

Our travel agent works in the local office of a nationwide travel company. We work together on sales and discounts. Sometimes she receives notifications and contacts us; sometimes I find them and contact her. It's a win-win situation for both of us.

Sales and price drops are important, but that's NOT the main reason we use a travel agent. She's our go-to person whenever there is an issue, and she's resolved every one of them with much greater results than we expected. Examples:

- We had a cruise cancelled when a dry dock was rescheduled; none of the offered alternatives would work due to job commitments, and there were no other cruises during our selected week that interested us. She used her connections and got us on a cruise on a sister company of the initial cruise line for our preferred dates, and got us upgraded to a Grand Suite.

- We had a very unpleasant experience with the loyalty ambassador on a cruise. We casually mentioned what had happened to our TA when we returned home. She followed up with her contacts. Imagine our surprise on our next cruise when we discovered we had an unexpected on-board credit and complimentary wine and chocolate covered strawberries when we arrived on board.

- She's monitored flight delays due to bad weather, kept us posted on flight statuses and alternate options if needed, and contacted us personally to make sure we arrived safely and on-time for flights or for the cruise.

- She's offered suggestions on lodging, restaurants and places to visit on pre- and post-cruise stays; provided information on the configuration of different cabins on board the ships; and gave us tips on a host of other aspects of cruising and travel. And we call walk into the office, sit down, and talk to her face to face.

The peace of mind our travel agent provides is well worth it to us.

One of our friends is a TA and a busy one, TIME does not allow her to look for price drops, all the time, but if she discovers one, she, if can remember hundreds of bookings, and that particular one or that some one actually booked it she will call and make the changes. "Most" travel agencies do not put a price drop web site to work.

My in-laws had used the same TA for years...they had a great relationship and felt very well taken care of for MANY cruises, but she retired. They offered to take everyone on a cruise this year, and their new agent gave an expensive quote for two balcony cabins, 6 people. We used our warehouse TA who gets a group rate, and got THREE balcony cabins, plus OBC and some nice perks (free soda package, meal at JR, specialty meal)...for $1500 LESS than they were quoted. So yes...not all TAs are equal!

We DID find RCIs recent sail would have given us a price about $75 less per cabin once everything was factored in...but not many rooms left in our category, none together and in poor locations. Sometimes the best deal isn't just the best price, but price with other factors added in... I agree with using a TA but still following up and checking on your own...the agents have been super accommodating to check prices and help us out doing the legwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by widallas

I called a TA about a drop I read about on Cruise Critic (usually don't use a TA) and she seemed to me got the drop reluctantly and told me that TAs don't like CC!!! Wish I could post the name - a large company with cruise centre in name. Won't be getting my business again - in spite of almost daily emails about "deals".

Our travel agent works in the local office of a nationwide travel company. We work together on sales and discounts. Sometimes she receives notifications and contacts us; sometimes I find them and contact her. It's a win-win situation for both of us.

Sales and price drops are important, but that's NOT the main reason we use a travel agent. She's our go-to person whenever there is an issue, and she's resolved every one of them with much greater results than we expected. Examples:

- We had a cruise cancelled when a dry dock was rescheduled; none of the offered alternatives would work due to job commitments, and there were no other cruises during our selected week that interested us. She used her connections and got us on a cruise on a sister company of the initial cruise line for our preferred dates, and got us upgraded to a Grand Suite.

- We had a very unpleasant experience with the loyalty ambassador on a cruise. We casually mentioned what had happened to our TA when we returned home. She followed up with her contacts. Imagine our surprise on our next cruise when we discovered we had an unexpected on-board credit and complimentary wine and chocolate covered strawberries when we arrived on board.

- She's monitored flight delays due to bad weather, kept us posted on flight statuses and alternate options if needed, and contacted us personally to make sure we arrived safely and on-time for flights or for the cruise.

- She's offered suggestions on lodging, restaurants and places to visit on pre- and post-cruise stays; provided information on the configuration of different cabins on board the ships; and gave us tips on a host of other aspects of cruising and travel. And we call walk into the office, sit down, and talk to her face to face.

The peace of mind our travel agent provides is well worth it to us.

:)

wow, that is great service!

We use an on line TA. She does not notify us.

We get significant OBC's from our TA. We do not need full service so this is part of the expectation. She books the cruises that we request and she re-prices when we see a price change. It is an on line agency with great business hours. IF she is not available someone else will help. This is often the case on weekends or holidays.

The price of our most recent cruise dropped before final payment. Our TA sent a new invoice, reflecting the change without my asking ($600 pp so it was not minimal).

After final payment, I found an on-line TA offering a flash one day deal on a cabin that was a significant upgrade from ours at the same price ...but stripped down on OBC, gratuities etc. She managed to get us the higher cabin and keep our on board goodies at no cost.

Carol

Go to cruise fish dot net and set an alert for price drops on your exact cruise of interest. Why rely on someone else when it's free and once you set up an account, takes about 30 seconds to set up an alert. Some of their features are at a cost, but not price-drop alerts.

Edited by blizzardboy

We generally book our cruises (about 100 days this year) with 1 of 4 different major cruise agencies...depending on who has the best deal for a particular cruise. None of our agencies/agents normally notify us of price drops or promotions. We honestly do not expect handholding and do not expect agencies to track every price change for each client. But we do monitor each of our booked cruises (sometimes we have as many as 3 or 4 under booking) on a weekly basis. If we notice a decent price drop (or good promotion) we normally send an e-mail to our agent...and generally have the better deal that same day. We have never had to deal with an agent/agency who was reluctant to reprice a cruise....and if we ever ran into resistance...that would be the last time that agnecy would hear from us.

Hank