Shellfish

janecambridge

I am a great lover of shellfish.Is all the shellfish frozen?We Were very disappointed on Regent with the shellfish.

Do they ever have King or Snow Crab onboard?

Probably a contraversial question,but can I get chicken wings on Rivera? I love the way American wings are cooked,especially boneless! 😳

I am a great lover of shellfish.Is all the shellfish frozen?We Were very disappointed on Regent with the shellfish.

Probably a contraversial question,but can I get chicken wings on Rivera? I love the way American wings are cooked,especially boneless! 😳

I have never seen boneless chicken wings ;)

Maybe they are some sort of processed food made to look like chicken wings

I have seen king crab legs not sure if they were frozen

They frequently serve fresh fish when available and purchased in some ports but I cannot imagine getting fresh shell fish (other than mussels).

It just would not be practical, not to mention the cost of fresh/live lobsters or crabs.

Edited by Paulchili

Shellfish pretty much has to be frozen to be kept onboard a ship. The only place where shellfish could possibly be obtained fresh is Norway and Alaska. The shellfish on Oceania and Regent is pretty much the same with the exception of King Crab legs in Prime 7 on Regent which, IMO, is better than on Oceania. Both Oceania and Regent have lots of lobster (at least Oceania and Regent's new ship does) and we find if it prepared steamed that it is almost as good as fresh.

In terms of chicken wings, as mentioned above, the "boneless" chicken wings served in the U.S. are processed. and are technically not chicken wings at all. I know that you can special order regular wings on Regent (not difficult to make since all chickens have wings:-) but special orders are not available on Oceania. On the other hand, it is worth asking.

This is off subject to Oceania, but a million years ago when I used to sail Barefoot Cruise's Windjammer, an islander would row up to the ship with a boat full of redfish or snapper or such. All the fresh catch would just be displayed there on top of seaweed, in the bottom of the rowboat. The captain would look it over, buy whatever and we (25 or so passengers) would then have it for dinner. Served buffet-style on deck. Honestly, so freaking fresh, it was as good as anything I've ever had on a luxury ship.

Probably a contraversial question,but can I get chicken wings on Rivera? I love the way American wings are cooked,especially boneless! [emoji15]

King or Snow crabs? Why not "go for the gold" and ask for Dungeness?

UNless you live on a fishing boat your not going to get "fresh shellfish except clams and oysters which are never frozen only iced like mussels etc.

Never get non frozen king crab or snow crab...it wont keep. because after about 3 or 4 days it goes bad....very bad...toxic...lethal toxic

No I find this rather moot...fresh frozen/

Why

because with today rapid freeze and being to able to do it on the fishing boat even before it gets back to port is amazing. In fact it turns out a superior frozen fish to a fresh one that must be stored for days in a hold before being off loaded. I freeze all my fish just as fast as I can...in hours. And it keeps quite nice for years, and taste better than fresh because it has less time to degrade

An old wives tale in light of new tech on the sea Besides all a good chef needs to do is brine the fish on thawing and you would never guess it was frozen...I have seen it in person

No chicken wings on Rivera

but lobster, Crab are not shell fish they are crustaceans Shell fish present are Mussels iced, Oysters, iced, Clams iced thus can be shipped in burlap bags iced down and keep for weeks

Scallops Frozen

While it sounded so carefree and going back to nature,,, the guy in a row boat in the tropics laying out his fish on seaweb in the sun....For a commercial kitchen to even look at it with out certification they could loose their kitchen licence to serve... You could loose a whole lot more from improperly stored unrefrigerated fish caught in the bay of some third worlds alternative sewer system.... In this case the story is romantic and quaint. Should you do it should the Barefood cruise even served it... no way

was a wonderful, carefree, very 70's sailing vessel cruise line; so it bought fish from local fishermen and all onboard enjoyed local fresh seafood for dinner. Thank goodness your PC police weren't created yet to ruin the fun.

Lighten up, Dan--

We had somewhat of a similar experience on a small motor cruiser (12 passengers max) in the Galapagos in August 1989. The crew often went out and caught that night's dinner.

None of (the all 9 of) us got sick ... While I'm not a fish eater, I enjoyed those meals.

Mura

Recently in Spain on Sirena, the Executive Chef purchased from local purveyors who he specially knew and trusted - not at every port. But each time he got fresh fish, it was the highly anticipated special in the MDR and Terraces.

Recently in Spain on Sirena, the Executive Chef purchased from local purveyors who he specially knew and trusted - not at every port. But each time he got fresh fish, it was the highly anticipated special in the MDR and Terraces.

Health and safety laws are not "some political correct" thing

Places that serve food have licences and are bound by laws. The chef on O will seek out what are called Certified providers for everything from apples to Tuna where they can purchase local food stuff that has been obtained and stored according to a set of health code laws to assure food safety. for cooking serving and producing.... They wont touch stuff from some one selling out of the back of a rowboat or car trunk.... would you?

Local "cowboy" providers provide no such assurance or product. You have no way of knowing about the safety or hazards of the food they sell...

Although not on Oceania, we too have seen this when on a Baltic Seabourn trip 2 years ago. The chef took a small group of us to a farmers market in Gdansk where he showed us what he looks for in fresh produce. He purchased quite a bit for use in that evening’s meal.

During an Alaska small ship cruise several years ago we pulled up next to a shrimp boat that had just returned with their catch. The chef purchased enough for all of us and we were eating shrimp for dinner that evening.

I wonder if this happens more than people realize. It is nice to read that Oceania doesn’t purchase food from a car trunk. Seems that would be a given.

Am I wrong in thinking that the culinary tours -- the really expensive ones -- include visits to local markets with chefs where foods are purchased to be prepared on board?

One time when we were with Seabourn, we signed up to go with the chef to buy fish at an outdoor market in Barbados. There was no charge. After he finished shopping, he told us to be sure and have the sushi on board that evening so that we could sample what he had purchased. After the fish was wrapped up, it rode back to the ship in a bus along with all of us.

One time when we were with Seabourn, we signed up to go with the chef to buy fish at an outdoor market in Barbados. There was no charge.

There was no charge for ours either and the bus took us direct into the town center where the market was.

It’s unfortunate and misleading, although legal, that cruise lines, as well as restaurants in general will note seafood as fresh on their menus when it has been previously frozen. It’s very common although Oceania is a step ahead of most by not over using the term. Kudos to O for that.

As Dan indicated, a quickly frozen piece of fish is superior to a fresh one that’s been sitting in a cooler for a few days.

You need to also consider the fishery. Alaska King Crab is a winter fishery. If you’re eating it in July, you better hope it was frozen.

Am I wrong in thinking that the culinary tours -- the really expensive ones -- include visits to local markets with chefs where foods are purchased to be prepared on board?

I do know that Azamara had private VIP tours for free thst include a market visit. Mainly produce thst day. But some fish. In some ports they buy fresh fish and serve it in our buffet at night, Norway we get fresh cheese and fish.

So you could be lucky

I do know that Azamara had private VIP tours for free thst include a market visit. Mainly produce thst day. But some fish. In some ports they buy fresh fish and serve it in our buffet at night, Norway we get fresh cheese and fish.

So you could be lucky

If it's VIP AND free, how do they prevent all 600 passengers from coming along?

I have seen the Executive ship also go shopping in the local markets. Beef and lamb are sourced in the US. Not sure about the chicken.

I also know the seafood company that provides Oceania and Regent with their frozen shrimp and seafood. It's owned by a friend's neighbor who owns a wholesale concern. They also provide it to some of the national chains too.

If it's VIP AND free, how do they prevent all 600 passengers from coming along?

You get an invite from the chef and future cruise person both times. Went once .second I could not. Would of enjoyed that day. More than what I did. Not so hard to do.