Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

mscdivina2016

Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

• NO
    • Yes but only with adult supervision at all times
    • Yes but with Adults only times for the pool
    • Yes, but not in the pool
    • yes, but have an attendant on duty who is not tipped

Haven.Luxurious-Benefits2016_1.jpg

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Haven.Luxurious-Benefits2016_1.jpg

Luxurious Benefits

• Priority when reserving restaurants and entertainment
  • Exclusive access to The Haven Courtyard area with private pool, sundeck, hot tub and fitness area
  • Distinctive platinum keycard

See above image from NCL.com

That's actually a picture that NCL took of myself and the family about 2 years ago!!!! we were paid $3000 to grant legal use of the picture in any capacity that NCL chooses...

That's actually a picture that NCL took of myself and the family about 2 years ago!!!! we were paid $3000 to grant legal use of the picture in any capacity that NCL chooses...
Beautiful Family and how dare you use the haven pool with your family . :D

I totally agree with this... Upselling these rooms at lower prices brings in some strange family dynamics at times.

I totally agree with this. DW and I are starting to look elsewhere for our cruise business. I really wish that NCL would *stop* with the up sells to Haven level cabins. Don't offer them to people that can't book in there directly! We are also looking at more adult oriented lines, and are returning to Holland America (we are 3 star) for the next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am sorry, but if you browse the web site that is not strictly true. The sections devoted to families do not show or mention the Haven on any of those pages. Equally, when you go to the section describing the Haven on the web site, none of the images or descriptions mention children or young accompanying adults and the descriptions all seem to express a peaceful and calm adult-like environment. All of the images with people on show adult couples, so no, it is not marketed to families, but is clearly open to them.

Obviously, there is nothing to suggest that accompanied young people are not allowed in the Haven, but the Haven is most definitely not specifically aimed at families with youngsters on the NCL web site. In fact about the only bit of the Haven that would seem encourage families with youngsters is the second bedroom, since there can be three single beds in it, one of which, the upper bunk, is most definitely not for adults

There is a recent post on the Blog link on the NCL website that is all about the Haven. It never once mentions children or families. Maybe they are tired of the complaints and the cost of closing and cleaning the hot tubs after all the soap bubbles and juice (among other reported substances).

I am sorry, but if you browse the web site that is not strictly true. The sections devoted to families do not show or mention the Haven on any of those pages. Equally, when you go to the section describing the Haven on the web site, none of the images or descriptions mention children or young accompanying adults and the descriptions all seem to express a peaceful and calm adult-like environment. All of the images with people on show adult couples, so no, it is not marketed to families, but is clearly open to them.

Obviously, there is nothing to suggest that accompanied young people are not allowed in the Haven, but the Haven is most definitely not specifically aimed at families with youngsters on the NCL web site. In fact about the only bit of the Haven that would seem encourage families with youngsters is the second bedroom, since there can be three single beds in it, one of which, the upper bunk, is most definitely not for adults

You are correct. The Haven is for many demographics. We have 3 related adult women. I am in the master, my sis on the sofa bed and sharing the master bath. Niece, 20

Will have 2nd bedroom and bath to herself.

Our friends, a couple, get a two bedroom. Use small bedroom for storage/office/electronics/photography, etc.

Kids? Sure. But not always. It would be interesting to see the percentages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well my worries about too many kids in the haven was a non issue this past week. Sailed in the Breakaway and one of the first things the concierge told me was that I chose a great week! No kids! Seriously he sounded more happy then I did. lol. We had the haven kid free the entire week and not even one obnoxious adult.

I totally agree with this. DW and I are starting to look elsewhere for our cruise business. I really wish that NCL would *stop* with the up sells to Haven level cabins. Don't offer them to people that can't book in there directly! We are also looking at more adult oriented lines, and are returning to Holland America (we are 3 star) for the next year.

Windstar cruises! 180 passengers, not one child when we cruised from Istanbul to Athens first of September several years ago. Beautiful time! On those sailing ships, there is not really much for kids except a pool.

BTW-when we cruised in the Haven on the Getaway this past June, all the children we saw in the Haven were very well behaved, and the adults we met were lots of fun!

Well my worries about too many kids in the haven was a non issue this past week. Sailed in the Breakaway and one of the first things the concierge told me was that I chose a great week! No kids! Seriously he sounded more happy then I did. lol. We had the haven kid free the entire week and not even one obnoxious adult.

any idea if the cruise was full. i assume all are..but you know what happens when you assume.

It is sad some think that just because FULL fare was not paid that it means automatic misbehavior

We have been in suites 2 times and 1 scheduled for this Christmas... We upsold our previous cruises and paid full fare for Christmas... Plan on behaving again just as we (hubby, me & 16 yo daughter) do on all our trips - cruise or not.

It is discouraging when some spoil it for others yes ... But do I let it ruin my trip NOPE ... My time my vacation my memories ... Life is to short ..

I agree only with adult supervision. We were on the breakaway last August and a family that had three children were running wild. Moving furniture around, locking the towel room, etc.

Ironically the mother sat in a chair with her head in a book and could care less. So if the parents aren't properly supervising the children, the staff should get involved.

Many people spent a significant amount of money to enjoy the Haven and do not need poorly behaved children and parents access to the facilities.

• 3 weeks later...
Windstar cruises! 180 passengers, not one child when we cruised from Istanbul to Athens first of September several years ago. Beautiful time! On those sailing ships, there is not really much for kids except a pool.

BTW-when we cruised in the Haven on the Getaway this past June, all the children we saw in the Haven were very well behaved, and the adults we met were lots of fun!

We just need to go off peak season for families, which we

Usually do. The last time, that was not the case

Edited by UPNYGuy

We just need to go off peak season for families, which we

Usually do. The last time, that was not the case

I always look wistfully at the Haven and don't book because i know if I spent the extra and there are too many young kids especially unruly or loud ones, I'll be unhappy.

And that would totally be on me. Kids are kids and have the right to be kids. When I cruise, I'm not interested in being around them, and I know the Haven is marketed to families for the extra space.

I'll probably never go on a megaship for this reason. My kids aren't cruisers and when I'm vacationing without them, I don't want to be bothered by other people's kids either.

I would like to see megaships that have an adult only area/pool deck. Or a Family haven and an adult Haven!

I've perceived a bit of marketing schizophrenia at NCL with respect to the Haven. I think some senior execs have talked about wanting it to be a place for affluent families with kids, while other senior execs have talked about trying to make NCL a more "upscale" line.

The name is misleading for me. When I first started looking at cruises online and saw "haven" and read the offerings, it seemed like it was a haven! Quieter than the rest of the ship. Private. Exclusive.

Glad I read these boards before trying it.

I always look wistfully at the Haven and don't book because i know if I spent the extra and there are too many young kids especially unruly or loud ones, I'll be unhappy.

And that would totally be on me. Kids are kids and have the right to be kids. When I cruise, I'm not interested in being around them, and I know the Haven is marketed to families for the extra space.

I'll probably never go on a megaship for this reason. My kids aren't cruisers and when I'm vacationing without them, I don't want to be bothered by other people's kids either.

I would like to see megaships that have an adult only area/pool deck. Or a Family haven and an adult Haven!

I believe Princess has this.

Spice H20 is adults only on all mega ships.

Haven is designed for families and everyone else that can afford it. I think the people that have a real problem with kids in the Haven area should pick another cruise line that focuses more on couples in their "first class" area. Kids are a huge upsell for NCL and without them they wouldn't really be who they are. Yes, I have a son but I try to pick a time to take my son to the pool when it's not busy so we don't disturb the couples that are trying to relax and read a book. I think that if everyone is considerate of one another than this topic wouldn't come up. With that said NCL still offers adults only area on the ship. Seems some people get too worked up over this issue and for them I can recommend the spa for a nice massage. Happy sailing everyone!

While I agree that families with children should enjoy the Haven, last August while in the Haven on the Breakaway a family with three kids looked between 5 and 10 years old were running around moving furniture and throwing things around and the parents just sat with their noses buried in there ipads. The staff said nothing.

So anybody children or parents in the Haven should respect other guests trying to enjoy the space. We also paid a premium to enjoy this area. Not sure if I would do it again.

While I agree that families with children should enjoy the Haven, last August while in the Haven on the Breakaway a family with three kids looked between 5 and 10 years old were running around moving furniture and throwing things around and the parents just sat with their noses buried in there ipads. The staff said nothing.

So anybody children or parents in the Haven should respect other guests trying to enjoy the space. We also paid a premium to enjoy this area. Not sure if I would do it again.

Did you say anything to the staff about the children? If not, they probably didn't think anyone was bothered by their actions.

Yes i complained. Especially when they locked the towel room. I wasn't the only one.
If the Haven attendant didn't do anything, did you escalate your issue further up the chain of command? If you did and they did nothing, then I would suggest a letter/email to corporate advising them that the ship's personnel is not making an effort to make sure all passengers have a great experience in the Haven.

Have you looked at Epic?

There is also VIBE/Posh which would give an adult experience with less crowding than Spice H2O on the mega-ships.

The Spas are also adult only.

There are many options.

Does Posh or the spa on Epic have a pool?