One Cabin Steward & No Turndown-Changes Coming!

STLCRUISIN

We often take a quick nap and shower in the afternoon so would miss the tidying up, having the bed made and fresh towels and bath mat, etc., if that is indeed the new reality. Coming back late at night to wet towels and an unmade bed is not my idea of luxury cruising.

Hopefully, for those who want the evening turndown, etc., it can be requested (along with other requests we usually make the first day). Hopefully it will be the norm for suites - for what is paid, they should tuck people into bed and read them a story. ;)

I can understanding having one Cabin Steward per cabin, but I do not believe the other assumptions being made. IMO there is not way Celebrity will not offer a service in the evening. (Towels, chocolates, curtains, etc.).

Could this be a misunderstanding or someone upset with some of the changes being made with the Steward staff?

My guess is they will go to Request only service - which is what Carnival does, if you request you get it. Since stewards are alleged to be getting fewer cabins, this would lead me to think that perhaps the thought is to get the stewards to give more personalized service, mini-butlers, if you will.

What about giving passengers the choice to opt out of these services in exchange for some OBC? Starwood does it at their hotels and in return for skipping daily housekeeping, offers points or a credit to an on-site restaurant.

If this is true...

My guess is they will go to Request only service - which is what Carnival does, if you request you get it. Since stewards are alleged to be getting fewer cabins, this would lead me to think that perhaps the thought is to get the stewards to give more personalized service, mini-butlers, if you will.

I like your thinking and hope you're correct. We are very neat and organized people. Never leave a mess or personal items out that they would have to move in order to accomplish or slow them down in doing their jobs. Our cabin attendants have it very easy with us. But we will always want our bed made in the morning, clean fresh towels twice a day and the turn down service in the evening. We Cruise RCCL a lot so we are use to the no chocolates in the evening. We don't snack at home after diner so for us that's a no biggie. If it turns out to be a service by request only then we'll be requesting it for the entire duration of the Cruise. To each their own.

Ms Lutoff-Perlo continues to downgrade what USED to be a wonderful product. I wish I had the opportunity to speak to her, face to face, and ask her if her definition of luxury includes increasing prices and taking away goods and services that have been a part of the tradition of cruising.

When I'm on vacation, one that I spend a lot of money for, I expect certain things and one of those things is a cabin that's taken care of. Sure, we can keep our cabins clean, but we shouldn't have to, because we ARE on vacation and one of the perks of being on vacation is not having to do the daily chores we have at home. While having the bed turned down isn't necessary, the changing of towels and tidying up the bathroom is.

I'm guessing most people will request it. That will make manning interesting.

I'd be REALLY surprised if this change applied to suites. But who knows...

I really cannot see a single stateroom attendant being able to look after the larger suites without many guests complaining. The time taken will clearly almost double. When we sail in one of Celebrity's PH suites, the stateroom attendants take some days before they relax with us. It is clear that most PH guests expect their suite to be serviced invisibly and instantly.

I really do not think that the suite needs to be vacuumed twice a day and how many people at home replace their towels twice a day? I cannot help remembering my mother when I was a child making it clear that, if a towel was dirty, you cannot have washed properly. I would also like to think that, even on holiday, I did not make so much mess that my bathroom needed to be serviced twice a day. I hate seeing waste and cutting waste is modern.

I just hope that this change does not impact on the crew too much. In particular, I really hope (but very much doubt) that they do not take the brunt of guest anger/annoyance.

I want fresh towels in the evening and the wet soggy floor mat replaced too, since I always have to use the mat to sop up the overflow water from the shower I really don't require a lot when cruising, but evening towel replacement is one area where I won't compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like Celebrity is going the way of Carnival...Carnival stateroom attendants are now asking guests on the first day if they prefer morning or evening stateroom service.

I wonder if Select Dining has made it too difficult for the attendants to plan their evening schedules?

Anyhoo, I think this is a horrible move for Celebrity. I believe that it has had the nicest service of all of the mid-priced cruise lines. If service declines, the playing field will be more even and it might make more sense to choose to sail with another line. No, we don't need turndown service, but it makes for a nicer experience.

We are on the Reflection now and this change has already been brought in. Our steward is still replacing towels at night, closing the curtains and straightening the beds as well as turning down the covers ( and placing the chocolates and info sheets on them).

It has just meant it may happen a bit earlier as he us trying to work round our meal times and checked with us at the beginning if we had a set time.

To be honest it has meant we have seen a lot more of our steward as he us keeping a close eye on the cabins so that he knows when it is ok to go into the rooms.

No complaints from us.

Not true, suites do not have plush towels and I too call them rags, one of my biggest pet peeves. The wash clothes are so thin and scratchy it is like using sand paper.

I am just off the Summit, stayed for the 1st time in the PH and was more than a little shocked to find the poor quality of towels in the bathroom.

I would think for that kind of money, the high end suites should have bath sheets for showering instead of what they supplied!

Such small bath towels, very disappointing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At home I change my towels every 2nd day, but only shower once a day. On cruises I often shower twice a day and like fresh towels...it's part of the "pampering" I expect when paying this amount. I also like the evening turndown service when I come in at the end of the evening. It's a signal that my day is ending and it's time for bed. If Celebrity ends this, it puts another nail in the line's coffin as far as I am concerned.

We don't change our towels every day at home. I always thought once a day was sufficient. For the poster who thinks the chocolates are "nasty", can I have them[emoji1]. I take them home. I change my sheets at home once a week[emoji33]. I assume once a week on board is enough. Having said that, I to, hate to see changes. We will see what happens. I am on Infinity in October. I have friends in Alaska now and will ask them. Until Celebrity or Host Andy confirms this, I am not going to worry about it[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm guessing most people will request it. That will make manning interesting.

If they don't tell you that you can request, I.e. You have to be in the know, I suspect a lot of Poole may not.

I wonder in the MDR how many ask for 4 courses now the menu only shows 3?

On the matter of efficiency, two people can make a bed four times faster than one alone. And two can rehabilitate a room faster than 1.

The idea is stupid. Wouldn't be surprised if the stewards double up on their own. Granted instead of 24 they will have 28 amongst the 2.

I had one time in my cruising that a steward did not offer turndown service.

It wasn't acceptable. His additional tip reflected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on the Reflection now and this change has already been brought in. Our steward is still replacing towels at night, closing the curtains and straightening the beds as well as turning down the covers ( and placing the chocolates and info sheets on them).

That's the way it's always been, and is pretty much the definition of turndown service. I've never been on a cruise where they've done any more than that.

We have over the years sailed several cruise lines and based on our overall experiences, have over the past year chosen to make X our preferred cruise line. We have 2 upcoming 15 day cruises between now and the end of the year. In addition, we have always promoted X as an up-market line with our friends and folks that we have met on other cruise lines. For one of our upcoming cruises we have even convinced one of our friends who have never cruised before to join us. Now, I feel a bit guilty given the changes X is contemplating, effectively taking X a few notches down. Personally, I believe (and this thread is clear evidence) of many of their loyal customers possibly ditching X as a result of this not so well thought through change. The loss of loyal customers and the increased cost of bringing them back to X (if at all this is possible) is likely to far exceed any benefits that X mgmt is hoping to reap from this move. Hopefully someone at the top will reconsider the brilliance of this decision.

If true, it doesn't make any sense. What about the possibility of a third or fourth person in a cabin? If there isn't turn down service, do we need to make up the couch bed or pull the ceiling bed down ourselves? It wouldn't surprise me if they do remove nightly turndown as they consistently cut back. The ceo only cares about profits, and as long as the ships are going out full there isn't a need to give more. "Modern luxury" is just an ambiguous marketing term purposefully picked to mean absolutely nothing.

This is a cheap move for Celebrity. One of things I enjoy about cruise is the everyday things being taken care . I enjoy coming back from the evening out and having a clean bathroom, fresh towels, the bed ready to get into and the lights low.

My room steward not going to like me, as I am going request the same service that we are use to having. This is what we booked and this is what I want. We are booked for a b2b in October. The first leg is just my DH and me in a balcony cabin. The next 12 days we are in a CS with our adult daughter. We are NOT making up her bed every night. If it happens I will be on the phone to housekeeping. There will be three os uf using one bathroom. I do not want wet towels on the floor or try to hang them to dry. My daughter used a lot of towels (washing hair) the she comes to visit I wash a lot of towels when she leaves.

What does the X stand for - not luxury causing. This is a dumb idea whoever came up with this new policy needs to find a new job. If it the CEO she to find a another cruise line to run maybe Costa or one of the old Turkey cruise lines.

WE may have to rethink the 26 days booked already with Celebrity next year. Maybe go back to Princess. We had great service this year on the Pacific Princess,as always.

My guess is they will go to Request only service - is to get the stewards to give a more personalized service, mini-butlers, if you will.

Curt,

Is the above going to be the corporate line when you are asked on line about the turndown cutback (I'm presuming you're still affiliated with the online X chat service, if not I apologise for asking)? Genuine question, not meant to be vitriolic in any way, shape or form - just wondering if this is going to be the response X will be throwing out to their customers.

I have never understood the logic of "I don't do this at home". Of course you don't...that is why it is called a vacation. I do not have waiters or sommeliers at home either, but I expect them on "floating hotels". Evening turn down service, fresh towels and ice are expected services, not extras. Probably will be a lot of wet towels in the halls for people to trip over.

Not true, suites do not have plush towels and I too call them rags, one of my biggest pet peeves. The wash clothes are so thin and scratchy it is like using sand paper.

Wow...wonder where those nice soft towels have gone?. I thought I.saw some aqua color ones on a cart recently...not going to AQ staterooms. When AQ class started out we had really nice towels...and of course daily btl water delivery!

If they add passenger-use laundries next year, we'll know what's coming--make your own bed, clean your own bathroom and wash your own sheets and towels! ;)

:eek: Now thats where I draw the line!

As for the towels, if they don't come to collect them, I'll be dumping them in the hallway

Edited by BecciBoo