One Cabin Steward & No Turndown-Changes Coming!

STLCRUISIN

What if you have a sofa bed that needs setting up ? And my kids would be very upset if they lost their daily towel animal !!!

review this thread, Celebrity has chimed in already saying the rumors are not true. Turndown service is still being done.

There's a current Celebrity ad on their Facebook that claims

"wildest expectations, exceeded daily"

But apparently our perfectly ordinary expectation of turndown service and clean towels in the evening isn't in that category, so the new slogan should be

"everyday expectations, disappointed daily:mad::mad::mad:[/QUOT

Did you post it on FC? So appropriate.

Glad to see this cleared up. We enjoy having the cabin spruced up twice a day. One of the things we have become accustomed to over the years.

We have our first cruise on Celebrity next May, probably would be the last if the rumour were true. Looking forward to the cruise and the itinerary on the Equinox.

We cruise to get away form everyday life.

This is true, but many of us may be surviving somewhere other than on a Celebrity ship.

You took the word right out of my mouth. I have 4 cruises booked between now and next October, but now 3 of them might be with another line. It is almost seems that Celebrity is trying to come up with even more reasons for their customers to look some place else. They could write a book - " How to get rid of customers in 60 days or sooner"- give them less than expected.

Eliminating water in AQ, canceling Valet service and now this.....

Maybe we should write Ms Lisa direct and ask her to explain these changes and still call Celebrity Cruise Line is a Luxury line....

On Millie in May/June Alaska - we only had the one Cabin Steward - no assistant. There was no turn down service but we did get fresh towels and the nasty chocolates that we throw away.

We only had one attendant on the Millie in May too; he was excellent and did everything...I have never seen someone work as hard as he did..never! He told us he was the only one...did not ask why.

Edited by Lastdance

Just a bit of a sanity check before we rush to shut down the thread for whatever reason ... This started because of what a member of staff, directly affected by the changes, reported to a CC member. The occasional celebrity contributor has got it wrong as well in the past.

Somewhat true, those a majority of rumors from the mouths of onboard staff have been wrong too (glass show is leaving, Bistro is becoming Suite restaurant, Bistro is becoming Gastrobar, suite restaurant is being built out of an unused space entirely separate from MDR....)

Also, post 86 in this thread from someone actually on one of the affected ships has stated that turndown is in fact still happening, and staff do now have fewer cabins and no assistants.

So it's been debunked both by Celebrity, and by one of us.

Just a bit of a sanity check before we rush to shut down the thread for whatever reason ... This started because of what a member of staff, directly affected by the changes, reported to a CC member. The occasional celebrity contributor has got it wrong as well in the past.

But people took what might have been a misinterpretation by either the OP or the crew member (or both) and it blew up into some very ridiculous assertions that wet towels were no longer being collected, which a lot of people took as gospel truth without any sort of confirmation or critical thinking.

"There will no longer be turndown service. Their new duty in the evening is to only provide two chocolates on the pillows...that is it" does not mean they were told to not freshen the bathroom. Rather, it could be that they're not turning the sheets back before placing the chocolates. Which, for the record, the official Celebrity poster has now disputed.

Until there are documented instances of something else happening, then it's all wildly inappropriate speculation. Hope OP's crew member source doesn't get in trouble now.

Thank-you very much, Celebrity, for taking the time to confirm that evening turn down service is not discontinued! Good news indeed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This appears to be a rare instance of the official Celebrity rep actually addressing CC members concerns/questions in something other than a direct quotation from the web site. Things are looking up!

Personally, I like the idea of just one stateroom attendant, as I always found it difficult with the extra tips, as I wasn't sure how the attendant would distribute them to their assistant, and in some cases, we interacted more with the assistant than the actual attendant and so we left two envelopes.

This will make it much easier to tip the person keeping our stateroom in good shape.

One less person to tip perhaps. Some of the current Assistant Attendants are ready to be on their own, but a good number will require some extra training. I sadly predict that we we see more complaints about a decline in service on these boards.Turn down service and chocolates, well perhaps not chocolates, will be the least of their problems.

[quote name='Host Andy']Hi AdoraBelle,

We'll never know for certain. Perhaps he/she was unhappy about the change. Or, perhaps the steward was misinformed. If I had a dollar for every tidbit/rumor I've heard over the years, from someone onboard a cruise ship, that proved to be inaccurate ? I'd have enough $$$ to buy the ship :)

As far as I'm concerned, I'm very pleased that Celebrity shared their insights (Thank You Celebrity !), and I'm satisfied with their explanation.... as this probably wont affect guests much, if at all. We're sailing on Eclipse in Mid-November, and will be sure to report back, with my observations.[/QUOTE]

I am the original OP that started this thread. I will say the cabin steward as well as his assistant were unhappy/upset about the changes taking place however, talking to a few other fellow cruisers their stewards were also unhappy. People don't like change...it's human nature. I would hope they weren't blowing off steam and making up a story based on half truth or worse.

I am happy to hear turndown is remaining part of the Celebrity tradition. Thanks Celebrity for clarification.

[quote name='Olive1950']If I'm as disappointed as I expect to be, I will kick Celebrity to the curb and move to another line.
[/QUOTE]

Do you really mean that? If you start your cruise [I]expecting[/I] to be disappointed, perhaps you should not start the cruise.

[quote name='STLCRUISIN']I am the original OP that started this thread. I will say the cabin steward as well as his assistant were unhappy/upset about the changes taking place however, talking to a few other fellow cruisers their stewards were also unhappy. People don't like change...it's human nature. I would hope they weren't blowing off steam and making up a story based on half truth or worse.

I am happy to hear turndown is remaining part of the Celebrity tradition. Thanks Celebrity for clarification.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you started this thread. Obviously your post got the attention of a lot of us and we were able to voice our concerns and or opinions concerning the possibility of doing away with the turn down service. The post by "bremenkat" was excellent and appreciated as it shed a little more light that the turn down service was still being done on their current Cruise. Finally Celebrity Cruises chimed in and squelched the rumor. Edited by davekathy

[quote name='afto']This appears to be a rare instance of the official Celebrity rep actually addressing CC members concerns/questions in something other than a direct quotation from the web site. Things are looking up![/quote]

If the Official X poster/representative had to respond to each and every rumor they would get nothing else done, like try to solve real challenges customers are having real time?

I think I would have a great sailing were all the ships were filled with CC posters less those who will not take them again because of something like this, which is really easily remedied, to be sure... no crowds! Hoooray, more service for those of us who remain...

Just a thought, just a thought...

bon voyage

[quote name='BBsails']Love the evening turn down...curtains pulled, lights lowered, clean towels, spiffy bathroom. Very relaxing. So hoping the service continues.

Betsy[/QUOTE]

Me too. Very disappointing. As a german customer one reason less too book a cruise with Celebrity.

[quote name='ThomasZ']Me too. Very disappointing. As a german customer one reason less too book a cruise with Celebrity.[/QUOTE]

FYI...Post Number 120:

[quote name='Celebrity Cruises']We have been testing out a new model for stateroom service on three ships, where the sections for the Stateroom Attendants are now much smaller. Stateroom attendants now have fewer staterooms to service and can engage in enhanced personal service to their guests. With the new model, 90% of Assistant Stateroom Attendants have been promoted to the Stateroom Attendant position, the remainder will follow with training. We are not losing any crew with this change. We have also updated uniforms and cleaning trollies for a more modern and efficient style. Luggage operation will also be faster, and more structured as the Stateroom attendants have fewer bags to move.

We have NOT discontinued evening turn down service. We will be rolling out this new model fleet wide through the fall.

We believe this change will offer our guests more personalized care during their vacation and our crew now has more opportunity for advancement, as Attendants instead of Assistants.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BrendaJ']Personally, I like the idea of just one stateroom attendant, as I always found it difficult with the extra tips, as I wasn't sure how the attendant would distribute them to their assistant, and in some cases, we interacted more with the assistant than the actual attendant and so we left two envelopes.

This will make it much easier to tip the person keeping our stateroom in good shape.[/QUOTE]

I agree!

When we first started cruising, we only had the one steward. I like this arrangement much better. :)

As long as we can get fresh towels, if needed, I can turn down my own bed. And we don't change our sheets at home but once a week, so a change on a cruise of more than a week would be welcomed. Not necessary otherwise. ;)

[quote name='STLCRUISIN']I am the original OP that started this thread. I will say the cabin steward as well as his assistant were unhappy/upset about the changes taking place however, talking to a few other fellow cruisers their stewards were also unhappy. People don't like change...it's human nature. I would hope they weren't blowing off steam and making up a story based on half truth or worse.

I am happy to hear turndown is remaining part of the Celebrity tradition. Thanks Celebrity for clarification.[/QUOTE]

Dan, thanks for starting the thread. You heard from your stewards (and other cruisers were discussing this too, it sounds like), so in good faith reported it here. From all the variations from ship to ship that we hear about on here, it appears that things are tried by Celebrity on some ships and response is measured (which is an acceptable way for businesses to try a change in practice). That may or may not have been happening in this case.

Many new things have been reported here (often from staff) and have turned out to be true - others have turned out to be rumors. This forum is a good way to get to the truth (eventually).

Since Celebrity reps read this forum, they heard many opinions here and were able to gauge how much of an issue this would be for people. If they have been floating this idea as it sounds like may be happening for other lines, I'm glad they heard all of these opinions.

Thank you, Celebrity Cruises for giving us the answer in a timely answer! I am happy that the evening turndown will stay! :)

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with one of my Celebrity contacts, who assured me that nothing is changing from the guest experience perspective. The items we've enjoyed, like evening turndown service and towel replacement etc will continue.

Thanks again to Celebrity for setting the record straight, and addressing any concerns. It's greatly appreciated.

As the question has been "asked and answered", this thread is now closed. Thank you for your understanding and participation.