The new " Edge " class ship information/ date.

Kevnzworld

Agree. Make closets and storage like on Anthem.

I agree. Closets and drawers on the Anthem of the Seas is well organized, large and easy to reach.

Just a little side note. For anyone who has been on a Quantum Class RCCL ship, have you noticed the shopping areas forward of the Royal Esplanade? The stores are under the outdoor promenade and above them are big X's on the windows, just as they are on Solstice class ships. Makes me think that perhaps the Quantum Class ships were originally designed to go to Celebrity, but were reallocated to Royal Caribbean at some point. Of course, aft of the Royal Promenade, all bets are off.

I agree. Closets and drawers on the Anthem of the Seas is well organized, large and easy to reach.

Just a little side note. For anyone who has been on a Quantum Class RCCL ship, have you noticed the shopping areas forward of the Royal Esplanade? The stores are under the outdoor promenade and above them are big X's on the windows, just as they are on Solstice class ships. Makes me think that perhaps the Quantum Class ships were originally designed to go to Celebrity, but were reallocated to Royal Caribbean at some point. Of course, aft of the Royal Promenade, all bets are off.

Yes, when we were on Anthem, everytime we walked by I commented on the X's. My DH didn't even realize it.

One other thing that I " heard " for what it's worth.

There will be more specialty restaurants. Since the emphasis will be on suites, there may not even be a traditional MDR.

I think it's a good move for Celebrity to take on Oceania and Viking ocean cruises for the premium market. RCL is already competing on the mid market, and the premium market has better margins and s growing faster.

no no no no no no

I love the storage over the bed - if you don't like it, don't use it but some of us love having that extra space there!

Best storage innovation ever!!!. Wish RCI would retro fit these to all of their ships. Would much rather have extra storage over the bed than some photo or sculpture.

no no no no no no

I love the storage over the bed - if you don't like it, don't use it but some of us love having that extra space there!

Agree! The more storage space, the better.

And if Celebrity is reading this, PLEASE keep the shaving bar in the showers! Those things are awesome! :)

The first experience, I didn't care for it. However, after the suggestion to take 3 of the foldable, fabric cubes (used in bookshelves, etc,) we LOVED it the last time. I bought 6 of the least expensive cubes (as they are the lightest weight), 3 for each side. I chose 3 different colors for each side which made it easier to know which to pull down. As I folded clothes to pack, I folded them so that once in the stateroom they could go directly into the cubes. On DH's side, gym shorts, socks and casual T's in one, another held Bermudas while the 3rd held polo shirts. On my side they held casual knit tops, work-out clothes, etc with one set aside aor small clutch for nights, crushable hats, etc. even at 5'3", I could reach all using the little loop on the front of the cube.

Where did you buy them and how much were they? I haven't found any that were light weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Cruises

Has details on Edge class with citations albeit from some back - nothing in this indicates they will be much smaller than the Eclipse / Equinox / Solstice - very slightly smaller gross tonnage + similar passenger numbers - if true, can't see how that configures to more suites and no inside cabins

The atrium on Solstice class takes a massive amount of space, plus the library and green thing also add to the space. They could readily change it to more functional/suite space meeting the above scenario: pax count similar and gross tonnage lower.

One other thing that I " heard " for what it's worth.

There will be more specialty restaurants. Since the emphasis will be on suites, there may not even be a traditional MDR.

I think it's a good move for Celebrity to take on Oceania and Viking ocean cruises for the premium market. RCL is already competing on the mid market, and the premium market has better margins and s growing faster.

Hi Kevin:

Heard some time ago from 2 Restaurant Managers that there were plans to eliminate the MDR. I don't recall the exact number, but there would be a number of "free" restaurants and a number of pay restaurants. One Chef from Corporate told me that there were plans for a NY style Deli .I'd go for the deli if the corned beef and pastrami are up to my high standards.

Where did you buy them and how much were they? I haven't found any that were light weight.

Got ours at Walmart-Mart. if I remember, the $3.00 - 4.00 each range. We split them between suitcases and figured they added about a pound per cube. The one cruise we've used them we drove so weight was less concerning, but I think they would have been within limits.

When I was looking, there were others that were closer to $8.00 - 11.00 each and were very heavy! If you were using these inexpensive ones daily, they wouldn't last long at all, but for a trip or two a year I liked them!

We loved the over the bed storage, and the cube idea is great. Will have to try that on next cruise - which will be on the Equinox. I wonder if any Edge class ships will be in the Caribbean. And will they have aqua class cabins and Blu? Sure hope so!!!!!

Reading with interest the discussion about the "over the bed" storage.

Clarification: These cupboards are NOT additional/extra storage. They are replacements for traditional drawer and closet shelf space, which are glaringly absent on Solstice class chips.

Also sorely missed, even a single drawer in the teeny, tiny bedside nightstands. Impractical and inconvenient.

To each his own, but for me ... I absolutely want to see improved, better organized storage spaces in Edge cabins. Lets see some drawers and a few shelves! Packing cubes are fine for "packing," but an invitation for wrinkles if you leave your stuff in there too long. And odds are, no matter what you do, that overhead compartment is a mess after a few days.

If Celebrity would take a poll, my suspicion is that the majority of cruisers would prefer a storage layout more in line with Millennium class cabins.

If they put significantly more high end suites on the new Edge Class would that risk reducing the value of that product?

At the moment there are relatively few high end suites per ship, significantly increase that number and the kudos of staying in Suite Class is possibly less

If they put significantly more high end suites on the new Edge Class would that risk reducing the value of that product?

At the moment there are relatively few high end suites per ship, significantly increase that number and the kudos of staying in Suite Class is possibly less

There are "all Suite" ships now and they aren't suffering. In fact, they're doing quite well. Celebrity will find more than enough passengers so long as they continue to offer a quality experience. I see a really great Michael's Club and a quality Luminae as key factors. There is a significant segment of the cruising market where price doesn't matter, service and privacy does.

There are "all Suite" ships now and they aren't suffering. In fact, they're doing quite well. Celebrity will find more than enough passengers so long as they continue to offer a quality experience. I see a really great Michael's Club and a quality Luminae as key factors. There is a significant segment of the cruising market where price doesn't matter, service and privacy does.

There are indeed all suite ships. How many passengers do they hold? Not upwards of 3000. Also, those ships are marketed by LUXURY CRUISE LINES. Celebrity does not fall into that catagory, as much as they would like you to believe that modern luxury is the same.

As far as the MDR, or lack thereof concept, it may work after Royal irons out the bugs on their new ships.

I will believe the mostly suites rumor when they release the deck plans, not from the unreliable rumors spread by tgose on board. I 've read about too many of them that never come to fruition.

Edited by richsea

Hi Kevin:

Heard some time ago from 2 Restaurant Managers that there were plans to eliminate the MDR. I don't recall the exact number, but there would be a number of "free" restaurants and a number of pay restaurants. One Chef from Corporate told me that there were plans for a NY style Deli .I'd go for the deli if the corned beef and pastrami are up to my high standards.

I read an article yesterday that mentioned the elimination of the MDR on Edge ships plus the addition of more specialty restaurants like you mentioned.

No mention of a Deli though. It would be nice, the QM2 has one.

no no no no no no

The point, I think, is that extra space is great but it is so inconvenient to get to! If you are not tall you have to stand on the bed to reach most of it. The wish is for the same amount of space it offers to be there, but in easier to reach places like drawers or shelves.

I'm still not sure where the information has surfaced that Edge Class will have more high-end suites or dedicated suite area. It is just pure speculation at this point in time. I advise that we just wait until Celebrity releases more details.

I read an article yesterday that mentioned the elimination of the MDR on Edge ships plus the addition of more specialty restaurants like you mentioned.

No mention of a Deli though. It would be nice, the QM2 has one.

Would definitely miss AQ class and BLU.....we have been very happy with that concept..