15% Larger than Oasis Class

An indoor pool is missing from the oasis class, a solarium like quantum class would be great. Was really dissapointed with the "solarium" on harmony this year. Also on a family ship another indoor pool for the children would be useful, esp in bad weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I was looking to increase revenue, which is what all businesses are, I'd add more cabins.

As for what I'd add if it was my decision as a cruiser, I'd add more deck space and solarium space so everyone's not so crowded and seats aren't in such high demand. With the open areas up on deck above Central Park, the pool deck areas are more limited. Solariums can always use more loungers :-)

Didn't they get more loungers be deleting the pool?

Didn't they get more loungers be deleting the pool?

Oh Harmony. I've only been on Allure and will be on Oasis in 2017. But, then, are there ever enough seats in the Solarium?

More views of Ocean from public areas.... e.g. bars, restaurants etc. Oasis class is so internally focused you need an ocean view cabin if you want to see the Ocean. I would also like a real promenade deck like smaller class ships and if they can't add more ocean views... add a Viking lounge with panoramic views. I love the Oasis class but without more views from public areas, the design is only practical for Caribbean where there is nothing really to see... Less desireable for Med.

Didn't MSC have some artist renderings of a ship larger than The Oasis Class?

MSC would make more sense to me as they commonly use Fincantieri to build their ships, and I cannot think of any Royal ship built by them.

I agree. I don't think there are any Royal ships built by them, and I don't see any reason why Royal would start using them now. MSC seems to be going into all-out expansion mode right now, so it makes sense.

MSC have four 200,000 tonne World Class ships due to enter the fleet from 2022 through 2026. Royal Caribbean's announced plans only extend to ships due to enter the fleet in 2021. If Royal Caribbean are considering going larger than Oasis class for the next class of ships to enter service after 2021, they would have already spoken to the shipyards.

Which shipyards have built for which lines in the past doesn't mean much. There are few shipyards with the capability to build cruise ships larger than 250,000 tonnes and any cruise line, whether Royal Caribbean or MSC or any other, probably would talk to all of the capable shipyards.

I also just so happened to read an article yesterday from Harmony's debut, where Fain is quoted as saying that there are currently no plans to build any ships larger than Oasis Class. Take that for what you will, but he did not seem to hint at anything. And with Oasis Class ships coming until 2021, I personally don't think there will be any groundbreaking news coming from Royal in the next couple years.

Not currently having plans really just means nothing has been approved by the board yet. It does not rule out exploratory consideration.

So far, the most popular requests seem to be:

- more adult-only areas, specifically a much larger Solarium with a pool and ample space for sunbathing, and

- indoor public spaces with an ocean view.

Given the limited space for ocean views as the beam increases, perhaps it would be possible to put a premium dining venue forward with 180 degrees of windows, on one of the decks where they now pack in a bunch of interior cabins, such as Decks 7-10.

MSC have four 200,000 tonne World Class ships due to enter the fleet from 2022 through 2026. Royal Caribbean's announced plans only extend to ships due to enter the fleet in 2021. If Royal Caribbean are considering going larger than Oasis class for the next class of ships to enter service after 2021, they would have already spoken to the shipyards.

Which shipyards have built for which lines in the past doesn't mean much. There are few shipyards with the capability to build cruise ships larger than 250,000 tonnes and any cruise line, whether Royal Caribbean or MSC or any other, probably would talk to all of the capable shipyards.

Not currently having plans really just means nothing has been approved by the board yet. It does not rule out exploratory consideration.

Thanks for the info. I guess it's just me hoping that it's not Royal. ;) Fain did say that as of now, there are no ideas that would push them to go bigger, but take that with a grain of salt.

I also think there's some safety concerns about ships larger than Oasis Class. I know they were discussed on here before (probably by chengkp).

Fain did say that as of now, there are no ideas that would push them to go bigger, but take that with a grain of salt.

The economies of scale which are pushing cruise ships to larger sizes are the same as the economies of scale which are pushing container ships to larger sizes:

- the most expensive crew do not increase in number as the ships increase in size: captain, chief engineer, head of hotel, doctor, etc.

- less fuel is needed per tonne to propel a larger ship than a smaller ship at the same speed.

Fain obviously must know this, so I think his statement is dancing along the edge of truth.

I'm not sure it quite rises to the level of consensus, but the dominant view (which is probably very nearly a consensus) in naval architecture and marine engineering is that larger ships are generally safer than smaller ships. If built to the same standards, it requires a larger event to sink a larger ship. For example, a 50m long gash in the hull might sink a 100m ship, but would be little more than an annoyance to a 400m ship. Evacuation, for example, is more challenging as ships become larger, but the solutions to those challenges are well-understood.

In my opinion, the salient factor limiting cruise ship sizes is the ability of existing ports to accommodate them. Of course, there are multiple recent examples of ports building facilities to accommodate larger cruises ships. Singapore recently built one and Miami recently approved one to be built over the next few years.

Regarding the need for more enclosure of Central Park and the need for more space for the solarium, one possible approach with a larger ship class would be to expand the size of one or more of the connections (decks 14-16 on Oasis class) over Central Park (decks 7-12 on Oasis class) between the port and starboard superstructures, for example, the one amidships where the Sand Bar is on Oasis. Would that have a serious negative impact on the feeling of openness along Central Park?

Regarding the need for more enclosure of Central Park and the need for more space for the solarium, one possible approach with a larger ship class would be to expand the size of one or more of the connections (decks 14-16 on Oasis class) over Central Park (decks 7-12 on Oasis class) between the port and starboard superstructures, for example, the one amidships where the Sand Bar is on Oasis. Would that have a serious negative impact on the feeling of openness along Central Park?

Doing so would raise the center of gravity of the ship, which could negatively impact the ship's stability. This may explain why megaships like the MSC Seaside are "pinched" above the water line, so that they are not top heavy.

Doing so would raise the center of gravity of the ship, which could negatively impact the ship's stability.

Yes, adding to Decks 14-16 would raise the ship's center of gravity, but much less so than adding another deck. A cruise ship 15% larger than Oasis class would almost certainly have one more deck, possibly two more. To maintain stability, the beam at the waterline would need to be increased, but that's easy because the beam at the waterline is already quite narrow for the Oasis class relative to the overall beam.