Baked alaska

Nicky5fingers

Maybe you could get one of the plastic ones they carry around in the parade at 6 PM?

Seriously, you can get several flavors of ice cream any night, the Chocolate Journeys desserts are great, as are the souffles. Better than the Baked Alaska!

Princess used to have a great parade with each Assistant Waiter carrying a real Baked Alaska with a flame coming out. He or she would bring it to the table and slice to order. Now, they carry a fake styrofoam thing with a battery-powered tea light. Baked Alaska is served as pre-sliced pieces. Nothing like it used to be. Not special and more of a promotion to tip. I never eat it so I don't miss it but I do miss the real parade.

Princess used to have a great parade with each Assistant Waiter carrying a real Baked Alaska with a flame coming out. He or she would bring it to the table and slice to order. Now, they carry a fake styrofoam thing with a battery-powered tea light. Baked Alaska is served as pre-sliced pieces. Nothing like it used to be. Not special and more of a promotion to tip. I never eat it so I don't miss it but I do miss the real parade.

I think you will find that cavorting through the MDR's with lighted candles may just severely contravene health and safety regulations!!

Having just disembarked Emerald Princess this past Saturday, I have to say that I still thought they did a great job .....styrofoam or not , and the baked Alaska was delicious!!

Even though how it was done in "the good old days" was somewhat more special, I am glad the modified tradition continues. It's still fun when the lights are dimmed, the music and the parade starts, and the diners get into the napkin twirling thing. Acknowledging the efforts of the galley and dining room staff is always a good thing. And the dessert itself is still tasty.

JMO, of course.

Maybe you could get one of the plastic ones they carry around in the parade at 6 PM?

The 'cakes' I've seen junior waiters carrying on princess are the

actual (semi) food product; at the end of the parade, they bring

it to the wait station and hack it into pieces for the pax.

While it might be plastic, they seem to offer it as if it was food.

Back in the old days, before the internet, the flaming was

accomplished by putting a shot glass in the center of the

cake, filling with sugar cubes, soaking the sugar cubes with

sterno, and lighting.

You have not enjoyed a desert, until you have chewed up a

sterno soaked sugar cube in your baked alaska.

I think, after that experience, and forever more, I will avoid

baked alaska.

Edited by pablo222

• 4 months later...

Is this Baked Alaska procession only done in the traditional dining room, or do they do something similar in ATD/CC as well? I've heard a lot about this and thought it might be an amusing spectacle to experience but I switched from late traditional to CC dining on my cruise personaliser, but then realised I might not get to experience the parade?

I asked out waiter why they stopped the parade with the real Baked Alaska and he said that on the newer ships the ceilings are lower and the first time they did it the sprinklers went off.

Is this Baked Alaska procession only done in the traditional dining room, or do they do something similar in ATD/CC as well? I've heard a lot about this and thought it might be an amusing spectacle to experience but I switched from late traditional to CC dining on my cruise personaliser, but then realised I might not get to experience the parade?
]

I have seen it in ATD. The parade, dimming of lights, and cruise staff talk interrupts your meal. In ATD it may come during any course. Missing the parade is no big loss.

In CC dining ask the waiter if they have the parade and what time it is. Then you can time your meal to see it.

Unfortunately, they do it in all the MDRs, both seatings.

We did a family cruise with about 20 people and arranged for a baked Alaska as a surprise birthday cake. It was HUGE and we shared with other tables. Typically I don't go for the BA but it was excellent - maybe because it was a special order.

The way it used to look

032122110CuttingtheBakedAlaska101_9613_zps38ec8091.jpg

And how it looks now

990107%20192%2001.07.15%20Baked%20Alaska%20DSC06051_zpsf38igw9k.jpg

WOW--thanks for posting these--I didn't remember how much larger (and also better tasting) the original one was. There is now a grand total of one South Florida restaurant that still serves a real old-fashioned Baked Alaska.