Any Time Dining reservations

We are experienced cruisers but first time on RCI. We sail on the Grandeur, Dec 10, 12 days out of Baltimore.

When we cruise, we ALWAYS choose Any Time Dining, no matter which cruise line we sail. Today I received an email from RCI asking me to make our reservations for ATD. This is something new to me. I always thought that ATD meant you CAN go eat anytime you want, so what gives with a reservation?

The time we want to eat is available, but I have a few questions. We like to eat about 7:00. So if I make this reservation, will I be able to walk right in? We like to share a table with others, and for the most part, we have never waited more than 10 minutes, ever, to be seated. So what does the reservation get you?

AND, say on one of the sea days we want to eat at 6:30, am I not able to go and try and get a table at that time, or must I stay with a 7:00 reservation.

What are our options?

Cheers

Len

Reservations for MTD are optional. They are most helpful for large parties (6+) or peak dining times (varies by cruise). With or without reservations you may encounter a line at check-in, but it moves fast.

Most MTD diners do not share a table. You can tell the hostess you prefer to sit at a large table with others and you may have to wait off to the side waiting for others also looking to share.

We are experienced cruisers but first time on RCI. We sail on the Grandeur, Dec 10, 12 days out of Baltimore.

When we cruise, we ALWAYS choose Any Time Dining, no matter which cruise line we sail. Today I received an email from RCI asking me to make our reservations for ATD. This is something new to me. I always thought that ATD meant you CAN go eat anytime you want, so what gives with a reservation?

The time we want to eat is available, but I have a few questions. We like to eat about 7:00. So if I make this reservation, will I be able to walk right in? We like to share a table with others, and for the most part, we have never waited more than 10 minutes, ever, to be seated. So what does the reservation get you?

AND, say on one of the sea days we want to eat at 6:30, am I not able to go and try and get a table at that time, or must I stay with a 7:00 reservation.

What are our options?

Cheers

Len

My Time Dining is set up to EITHER just walk up OR to take reservations. Those reservations can be made before your cruise or during your cruise.

Making reservations is for your party only. If you wish to share a table, you will need to use the "just walk up and ask for a table" MTD.

We always book anytime dining on all ships. Before it was available we got stuck with some really bad table mates but also some great ones, we don't mind sitting with others at anytime dining but at least if there dicks we don't have to sit with them again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you would like tablemates, pick traditional seating. MTDer's, for the most part, do NOT want to share their table.

Wrong, again. This is erroneous information that this member continues to post. Many MTD's enjoy sharing a table and the staff is happy to seat you with others. My Time Dining is more about the flexible dining time, not the table arrangements.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Wrong, again. This is erroneous information that this member continues to post. Many MTD's enjoy sharing a table and the staff is happy to seat you with others. My Time Dining is more about the flexible dining time, not the table arrangements.

We picked MTD so we could sit with different people every night. You usually don't have to wait as long if your happy to share.

MTD reservations are NOT a requirement. You can make ressies if you want, or just walk in and be seated. You may have to wait a few minutes, but we've never had to wait. As a new cruiser to RCI, keep in mind that the evening show is scheduled around traditional dining times, so if you go to dinner at 7'ish, you might have to ask the server to speed things up. Also, smaller tables can get through dinner a lot faster than larger group tables.

We have done MTD both ways...making reservations in advance and just winging it and showing up when we wanted.

Our last cruise we showed up on night 1 and the line was crazy long for those without reservations....however, it went really fast and we were sat within 10 minutes. We elected to not make any reservations for subsequent nights and showed up when we wanted and never had to wait more than 10 min or so. It worked well for us.

We have also done it where after our meal we go back up to the desk and ask them to put us down for a certain time for the following night and at the same table. Most of the time they were able to accommodate our requests. This was helpful because we felt like we more or less knew what our schedule would be like that next night and would be seated a little quicker.

I suggest you go with MTD...we love it!

Helpful thread as I have similar questions. One that was not answered (or I might have missed the answer) is what happens if I reserved for 7pm but want to dine at 6pm instead? Do I have to change the reservation or just do a walk up? Conversely, what happens if I reserved for 7pm but missed it and is available to dine after 8pm? Do I just do a walk up?

Helpful thread as I have similar questions. One that was not answered (or I might have missed the answer) is what happens if I reserved for 7pm but want to dine at 6pm instead? Do I have to change the reservation or just do a walk up? Conversely, what happens if I reserved for 7pm but missed it and is available to dine after 8pm? Do I just do a walk up?

I asked that also.

Thanks to all who replied and added some very helpful answers.

I am still a bit cloudy on this reservation thing though. If I have a reservation for 7 and there is a huge line there, do I walk right in because I have that reservation?

We love to meet many other people so we always ask for a large table. Our last cruise was out of Galveston and about 3/4 of the ship were Texans. Being a NY Giants fan, I never sat with so many Cowboy fans in my life. :D:D:D:D

It is always good to meet new people and share life's experiences with them.

Cheers

Len

Not having done MTD but a couple times, if your time is set for 7 PM and you wish to change to 6, I would do that either the evening you first walked in or the morning you board. We were seated at our assigned time, but wanted to change to a different table for the remainder of the cruise. Granted this was not a time change, merely a table & wait staff switch. I walked up and asked the head waiter we wished to switch and he made the changes.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Once again, I don't mean to sound ungrateful to all the great replies, but I still do not understand what making a reservations gets me? Am I able to go in, ahead of any line that might be there at my reservation time?

Am I locked into that time, or can we just walk in say 1/2 hour early and still be seated?

Cheers

Len

....but I still do not understand what making a reservations gets me? Am I able to go in, ahead of any line...

Hi Len - there are usually two lines - one for reservations and one for without reservations. The lines may actually be equally long (or short) depending on the time and number of people in that same time slot.

Try not to overthink it. ;) The first evening and Formal Nights are a bit chaotic, but you'll get the hang of it. What has worked for us is to walk up at an off-peak time, such as 6:52 or 7:23 or something like that. The times are divided into 15 minute blocks, so see how that might work? Also, the later you go, the less stressed and rushed the staff seem to be. If you don't mind eating after 8 or 8:30 pm (and some enjoy it), you will have a lovely experience and your pick of nice tables.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Once again, I don't mean to sound ungrateful to all the great replies, but I still do not understand what making a reservations gets me? Am I able to go in, ahead of any line that might be there at my reservation time?

Am I locked into that time, or can we just walk in say 1/2 hour early and still be seated?

Cheers

Len

Like the above poster said there usually are 2 lines one for folks with reservations and one for people without them. If there are tables available I imagine they will seat you if you are early, just like they would in a regular restaurant.

Edited by molly361

By making a reservation you are locked into that time and when you arrive may walk to your assigned table after the first evening, however in response to arriving earlier then assigned time, we many times arrived at least 15 minutes early and were able to walk right over to our table. Those without reservations had to wait to be seated.

To add, on the first night when you enter, there maybe a line but once you are taken to your table, the remaining nights just walk right in and to your table. It is the first night that there maybe a short wait depending on the line for reservations. The doors to the dining room will open I think it is 30 minutes before your dining time.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We rarely make reservations. That is the whole point of MTD. We go eat when we feel like it! About the only time we do is if we cruise out of San Juan as we want to make sure we see sail away. Otherwise, I look at the compass each day, see what is going on and we go down to dinner when we feel like it so we can make whatever show we want to get to. We LOVE eating alone, so much quicker. We meet so many people on a cruise we have found we love eating alone at night to talk about the day and what we are going to do the next day

so bottom line don not make reservations unless you want to, you certainly do not have to

Once again, thank you all for clarifying this for me.

We like eating about 6:45 to 7:00. Eating later is just not a good option for us.

And, since we've been married 42 years, we have had plenty of time to eat alone together. We really enjoy meeting so many new people from all over the country and world, that we love to share tables with others.

Cheers

Len